GUILTY FL - Fred Laster, 16, found dismembered, Lake City, 5 June 1994 *youth pastor arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DaisyChains, thanks for continuing to contribute to the forum while the updates on the case continue to pour in. I've been keeping a close eye on the progress of this investigation, and it seems that there may be potentially more victims of Ronnie Leon Hyde. In the meantime, we can only hope that more people come forward and also hope that JSO looks into other missing persons cases in the area and attempt to match with a possible connection to Mr. Hyde.

Meanwhile, I did have a great conversation with one of the cousins of Fred Laster a few days ago. While the family is aware that there was a push to make the 1994 case public on our end when we jump started everything in 2011, The main focus is how Fred Laster was identified and how Mr. Hyde was arrested. To be completely clear with everyone, our goal was not to 100% identify the torso or try to identify a suspect, but rather to get the case public so that way someone could come forward to local law-enforcement and see if there was a possible connection to their missing love one and the torso. In the early part of our investigation, we did interviews with radio stations and one news station out of Gainesville, Florida. Those produced little bits of information that was previously not known to the public. If one goes back to this forum, you can see that we had discussed the Camaro that was spotted at the gas station The day Fred Laster was found. We had put that information, as well as other things onto a makeshift flyer that I still have that we created. We emphasized several characteristics of the torso, specifically the mole and the fact that the torso was circumcised. Those were two key characteristics that would be essential to identification, along with the hair that was found on the body. Additionally within the last couple of years we had put the bath mats on the flyer, and then when the checkered shirt was made public a couple of years ago, we also included that. And then throughout the investigation, and before Murphy Tire took over the building, my team would frequent the area to look for any other clues. We would also take updated pictures of the area, so that way our audience had an idea of what we were working with. With that said, that was a lot of hard work put into the investigation on our end.

Granted, we were able to bring public awareness to the case, the sheriffs office in Columbia County as well as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, did more to further identify the torso and make sure that there was justice as well at the same time. The sheriffs office had more to work with, while we only had what was available to us at a time through interviews and public information. Overall, I truly do not think we should take credit for alot in this investigation. The big credit goes to law enforcement for a job well done. The big credit goes to law enforcement for killing two birds with one stone.

My big concern is how the missing persons database and the unidentified person's network is flawed. Because of the miscommunication between Jacksonville sheriffs office and how divided law enforcement was back in the day, I do believe that Freddy Laster could've been identified way sooner. When the family said that he was last seen with Mr. Hyde, that should've raised red flags all over to begin with. If JSO had acted that day the family reported Freddy missing, I have a feeling that justice could've been served way sooner. Instead, law-enforcement allowed a pervert to walk around Jacksonville and fly all over the country and all over the world to victimize more children. Why did The Jacksonville Sheriffs Office take so long to examine what they had? Another reason why I give huge kudos to the sheriff Mark Hunter and the Columbia County Sheriffs Office on getting this case resolved!

With that said, concluding this before I take any questions or respond to any post, I do intend to be present at the trial of Mr. Hyde if he pleads not guilty he and takes this thing to trial. I want to be there to bear witness. I will get me a first class ticket from Portland, Oregon to Florida to make sure that justice has been served in this case. As you guys are all aware, Freddy was like a brother to me, but unfortunately through this case. I worked on investigating this case through a sleuth point of you since 2010, and that whole time I began to build an emotional bond with this person. Something told me within the next 10 years, this case would be solved and I am happy to see that it has been. So with that, I will plan to be there.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/i...o-arrest-murder-suspect-ronnie-hyde/501639066

Very interesting story on WHY it took so long to identify Fred and arrest Ronnie.

"However, the timeline raises questions about whether the systems put in place worked as they should have or whether more training is needed when it comes to missing-persons cases.
Action News Jax is working to confirm whether JSO reached out to the NCMEC or NamUs through the course of its investigation."

More at link. I wish they would have brought up Jason's contributions to advocating for Fred. They may not even know about Jason.
Thank you so much for the updates Daisy! I wish they would hire more LE to work cold cases. Too many out there that should've been solved already. :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

http://www.news4jax.com/news/fred-laster-reported-missing-8-months-after-body-was-found

The delay in reporting Fred as missing seriously hampered the ws investigation into this case. There were several reasons that family speculated could lead to Fred's disappearance. Sadly, they were wrong. I hope changes are made in reporting and centralizing the info for cases so people could be ID'd sooner. I believe the ws'ers here would have solved this case sooner had they had the info, MOO.

Hyde's house has been boarded up and considered a danger to inhabit. I believe he was a hoarder, MOO.
http://jacksonville.com/news/2017-0...n-hyde-s-jacksonville-beach-home-be-condemned
No running water, hazardous materials, the bath tub used as a toilet...

Completely Agreed Ray of Hope! If he would have been on an MP list at that department that we could have accessed it would have made all the difference. If police would have told the family their options with submitting his DNA to Namus things would have been better. Poor Fred fell through the cracks of the system! Thank goodness the current LE are efficient and care. Thank goodness for all of the advocates who kept reminding LE of this case!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...p-teen-kept-counseling-kids-for-23-years.html
UNHOLY

Pastor Arrested for Chopping Up Teen Kept Counseling Kids for 23 Years

Fred Laster’s siblings told police about the last man seen with him, but nothing happened for the next 23 years. Now authorities and a mom say Ron Hyde may be more than a murderer.

"Fred Laster, 16, was last seen with local youth pastor Ron Hyde several days earlier. Laster hitched a ride with Hyde after a family argument, according to his sister. Laster and hisfive siblings were living with their elderly grandparents at the time, after their mom died from cancer four years earlier.

When Laster called his twin sister later, the boy “sounded distant, emotional,” she told police.

She asked Laster if he was alright and he said he was with Hyde. It was the last she ever heard from him."

:sick:

That's what I'm saying. Why wasn't the JSO quick in adding this missing person report to NAMUS? It would have been so much faster in identifying Laster. At least Tallahassee PD were prompt in putting Erik Patchin's profile in. When they did that, it gave us a hot trail toward possibly identifying him because of the circumstances!

I wonder if he ever went on week long camping trips that most churches do. During the summer where several churches get together to let teens explore nature, bible study...etc. He could have had access to countless number of kids that way.

I am expecting further contact with one of the cousins later today or tomorrow. I am also waiting to hear from one of the brothers of Fred Laster at some point in the near future. Been trying to see if there is anything I can do for the family like helping with funeral/memorial funding. This is going to be a very lengthy case and I am prepared to find out more about Ronnie Hyde and what his role may have been in other cases across America.

In the meantime folks, I think I am going to shift gears to the 1978 John Doe in Lake City, FL. Haven't really obtained a solid lead on the case in many years so I am going to attempt that one again. Also, I am looking into the Erik Patchin case in Tallahassee a little more and also some cases of interest in Oregon. Aside from this, I will also be following the Ronnie Hyde episode very closely. I will have more info to follow soon on next moves. In the meantime, stay tuned!

Hey everyone, I have a quick UPDATE to share:

So last week, I sought out some answers from the CCSO by sending an email to follow up on a tip. I received a response from Captain Katina Dicks from the Criminal Investigation Division of the CCSO. In the email, she had stated that she has been following this forum and gave some praise for the sleuthing that was done over the last few years. The information that I have posted along with tips has led to this case becoming very ACTIVE; HOWEVER, at this time there are no leads and that if there were leads, we would not know about it until the case has a positive suspect arrested. She stressed that because this is a case of murder and not just unidentified remains, everything has to be kept confidential; which our team can completely understand.

At this time, we are looking forward to continuing to collaborate with CCSO on any leads we may potentially find; however, we are on an ice cold track. I will keep everyone informed with updates, and am currently working on a very interactive website about the case, as well as a new Facebook page dedicated to this case as well as other unidentified person cases in Florida and South Georgia!

Just wanted to share this because remember: You kinda heard it first on Websleuths! (From 8-8-2016)

Since the arrest, I found the MSM articles' timelines to be quite difficult to follow. I created a timeline on RH using primarily news4jax.com articles, the arrest report, RH's FB page info, Duval County public records (property records and arrest info), and a few other MSM links (links to those references are in-line in the doc)

The earlier arrest info in this timeline is limited to traffic citations but did sometimes include vehicle info. When it did, I have included that as well. It may be useful if trying to link/cross-reference RH to other cases.
View attachment RH Timeline.doc

Since the arrest, I found the MSM articles' timelines to be quite difficult to follow. I created a timeline on RH using primarily news4jax.com articles, the arrest report, RH's FB page info, Duval County public records (property records and arrest info), and a few other MSM links (links to those references are in-line in the doc)

The earlier arrest info in this timeline is limited to traffic citations but did sometimes include vehicle info. When it did, I have included that as well. It may be useful if trying to link/cross-reference RH to other cases.
View attachment 113107

Wow.

So not only was that church - Strength for Living Church - run by a crooked pastor, Ed Stalnecker, but one of that church's trustees, Robert Neil Hellmer, was asked to buy a Rolls Royce with silver coins from a sunken Spanish galleon?

Thank you for that timeline. Hyde is clearly a career criminal.

I wonder if they are referring to Zeb Quinn case? 18, Asheville NC, went missing after going to look at a supposed car for sale.
Question: What is everyone's idea of his MO right now? Age of victim etc.? This guy is definitely a serial killer. With his traveling often.... I'm honestly afraid to even think of the true number of victims. I doubt he will ever confess to them all. He's obviously not afraid of burning in Hell considering how he found his victims. There's a special place in Hell for these kinds of killers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back