GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Law Belle Vie is very good. Her analysis of the Kastigar issues is great. (She thinks, as I do, that there arent any).

Thanks for the recommendation - just watched the Kastigar analysis but don't know enough about the law to voice an opinion other than all of the areas she covered make sense. I would think if WA is charged, a Kastigar hearing is inevitable but here's hoping the State has more undisclosed evidence on WA.

Where did you get this info? What kind of longtime friend has only had brief conversations with them? Is is a friend of Charlie? How would this person speak to Charlie?

So, the cops weren’t monitoring the airports after all, and they would’ve gotten away if the person hadnt called? Horrific.
I am really leaning toward thinking that was subterfuge. It’s way too random to call someone who you barely ever talk to to ask them about the Philippines, when your son has just been convicted of murder. I believe it was absolutely purposeful. Misdirection perhaps with the plan to send LE on a wild goose chase looking for the Philippines when they were going to Vietnam or Dubai.

But what makes no sense is, I already wrote this, why they wouldn’t have thought that LE would be able to search their names for any flights given the fact that they said on the recordings they want to flee? Didn't they know they were going to find out they were really going to Vietnam? And again, why she said it on a recorded line that they were looking for a non-extradition country. The part about setting up trusts because she was going to take herself out I strongly believe that was on purpose to give an excuse to transfer assets to avoid any civil suits.

Thanks for the recommendation - just watched the Kastigar analysis but don't know enough about the law to voice an opinion other than all of the areas she covered make sense. I would think if WA is charged, a Kastigar hearing is inevitable but here's hoping the State has more undisclosed evidence on WA.
They will try it, and there may be a hearing, but it will not come to much, I predict.

Last edited:
I am really leaning toward thinking that was subterfuge. It’s way too random to call someone who you barely ever talk to to ask them about the Philippines, when your son has just been convicted of murder. I believe it was absolutely purposeful. Misdirection perhaps with the plan to send LE on a wild goose chase looking for the Philippines when they were going to Vietnam or Dubai.

But what makes no sense is, I already wrote this, why they wouldn’t have thought that LE would be able to search their names for any flights given the fact that they said on the recordings they want to flee? Didn't they know they were going to find out they were really going to Vietnam? And again, why she said it on a recorded line that they were looking for a non-extradition country. The part about setting up trusts because she was going to take herself out I strongly believe that was on purpose to give an excuse to transfer assets to avoid any civil suits.
Ageeed, but it seems like they weren’t actually looking for their names on flights, because the tip came in from this friend. The affidavit is written like without that friend tip, the authorities wouldn’t have known they were fleeing. That alarms me, that they apparently weren’t searching flight lists. These people bought the ticket a week before. They should have been searching all outgoing flights for these names. If they werent, that is appaling. I can only hope they were and the affidavit is written the way it is fir a reason.

If Donna has any brain cells she knows it's hopeless. I think the State believes that she basically put the wheels in motion for Dan to be murdered and I think the State wants her behind bars for life. In terms of a plea deal, Donna has no cards to play -- unless she flips on WA or HA, and that's not going to happen. Don't know what the lawyer she chooses will tell her, but Donna isn't stupid and should know it's over. JMO.
As the "mastermind" of this plot and execution she indeed "has no card to play". I guess taking it to court without any admission of quilt will give this entitled woman something to do behind bars...last gasp at power to hire attorneys, have meetings etc. Who else is going to come and see her in Tally?

Today 11/21/2023, (a) we have an encore as Georgia Cappleman has been officially assigned to prosecute Donna Adelson (added prosecuting Attorney of the State Attorney), and (b) Donna’s Pretrial Defendant Interview has been completed and sealed.

And the refrain of the Adelsons’ stench continues to linger in Tallahassee, FL.

They will try it, and there may be a hearing, but it will not come to much, I predict.
I will take a look at it but didn't we all say on WS - on the day that Kastigar was first raised - that we couldn't think of any fresh evidence that Wendi had raised in any of her testimonies over all of the trials?

Just thinking – is it the arrogance of this family that they didn't make arrangements to flee all the way back in 2016? Clearly, CA's comment about them already being at the airport if they had something, I would be willing to bet he did. I believe I remember seeing posts about how much international travel he had in 2016. I always thought that was to spread cash around and set up places for him to go (in addition to his interests that he apparently discussed with JL in the hot tub).

So why didn't HA& DA have a plan? Is it always because of their sunshines that they never plan to leave? But how were they in a position that they waited until after his conviction to scramble to come up with a plan? It shows you how delusional they are, that they really thought he was going to be found not guilty? Is it that they've gotten away with everything for all these years so they thought this time would be no different?

She also had the notice of them dropping her name all over that CA trial for a couple weeks. I just don't get it.

I will take a look at it but didn't we all say on WS - on the day that Kastigar was first raised - that we couldn't think of any fresh evidence that Wendi had raised in any of her testimonies over all of the trials?
Yes, only Tim Jansen seemed to think it would be a problem, which would potentially hold the case up for YEARS! And then someone on STS asked him to cite to anything specific they got from Wendi’s testimony, and he couldn’t think of anything.

Just thinking – is it the arrogance of this family that they didn't make arrangements to flee all the way back in 2016? Clearly, CA's comment about them already being at the airport if they had something, I would be willing to bet he did. I believe I remember seeing posts about how much international travel he had in 2016. I always thought that was to spread cash around and set up places for him to go (in addition to his interests that he apparently discussed with JL in the hot tub).

So why didn't HA& DA have a plan? Is it always because of their sunshines that they never plan to leave? But how were they in a position that they waited until after his conviction to scramble to come up with a plan? It shows you how delusional they are, that they really thought he was going to be found not guilty? Is it that they've gotten away with everything for all these years so they thought this time would be no different?

She also had the notice of them dropping her name all over that CA trial for a couple weeks. I just don't get it.
I do think, but don’t know obviously, that they thought they were going to beat it and so they waited to flee until after Charlie was convicted. But I also think there was a plan in the works from way back, and that Charlie may have bought property or parked assets in Vietnam or somewhere else.

Yes, only Tim Jansen seemed to think it would be a problem, which would potentially hold the case up for YEARS! And then someone on STS asked him to cite to anything specific they got from Wendi’s testimony, and he couldn’t think of anything.
Yes but remember he said it was a 'hurdle' and that Wendi would ' aim' to keep it going for years.

Yes I recall the latter point too because I raised it on WS within minutes of him saying it Live. ( Only reason I recall it specifically is cause I posted here about it) Wendi's looking for a strategy & then he said he thinks it's an indicator that she's worried

Anyway, will take a look at it - sounds interesting.

BTW if anybody wants another recommend, on Donna, HarvardLawyerLee has done one on the evidence against Donna. Easy to follow, structured with charts n stuff. Forgot to add that Lee goes into Kastigar a little towards the end of that episode

Last edited:
I do think, but don’t know obviously, that they thought they were going to beat it and so they waited to flee until after Charlie was convicted. But I also think there was a plan in the works from way back, and that Charlie may have bought property or parked assets in Vietnam or somewhere else.
Yes. Seems to make sense from what they ended up doing. And yes, I do think that they got their fleeing plans from what Charlie had in the works already. Just inconceivable how they had nothing thought out with the steady drum beat that has been coming for them since Charlie's arrest. And even before that.

Given that eyeballs were on them, it would sure seem to make a lot more sense with the cash that they have on hand to have paid someone for a boat ride. They literally live surrounded by ocean everywhere. Get to point a, and then use your cash to get to point B. It does make you wonder at some point if they really were tired of running and just wanted to get it over with. He's almost 80, and she's 73. But I expect her to fight this all the way. She's tough.

On the one hand, its complete arrogance to think that you can just board a flight to a non-extradition country when the national media is speculating about grand jury indictments and your imminent arrest.

On the other, its a completely unsettling that she was only a couple hours from freedom and HAD she made plans to leave a day or two earlier - she most likely would have succeeded. Crazy.

Last edited:
On the one hand, its complete arrogance to think that you can just board a flight to a non-extradition country when the national media is speculating about Grand Jury proceedings and your imminent arrest.

On the other, its a completely unsettling that she was only a couple hours from freedom and HAD she made plans to leave a day or two earlier - she most likely would have succeeded. Crazy.

The gang who couldn't shoot straight - what a cluster from the initial plot to today.

Re Wendi and Kastigar: I think an example of what the State won't be able to introduce as evidence against her if she is charged is her varying trial testimony accounts of how far up Trescott she got on the day of the murder (we know her police interview is fair game and unaffected by Kastigar). Not saying that is key evidence or necessary evidence for the state, but Kastigar does limit what the state can use. JMO.

This has been blown up over and over and over again by pretty much every attorney that covers the case- except for one, who is apparently in contact with WA's lawyer. Make of that what you will.

Wendi’s inconsistency not admissible regards to how far she traveled? They have that on tape from her initial interview with Isom. One of the trials the LE official that was at the crime scene tape said he knew what type and co.or cat Wendi was driving ( his wife had the same car, I believe he said). He knew to watch for it. I am guessing the neighbor who heard the shots or other neighbors probably indicated to law enforcement what car Wendi drove. So, what would they need from Wendi’s inconsistent reporting on the stand?

Right! This also supports my theory that Charlie was being manipulated by Donna during his defense planning and strategy. I’m sure he sat there and concocted this extortion defense himself but I think he did it to also help Donna. Meanwhile Donna is only thinking about herself and waiting for his verdict so she can cut and run if he’s convicted. The fact that he had no support in court during the trial is quite sad for him. There are no relatives? And then his parents were going to abandon him while he was in prison for life? Wow. JMO

Edited to add: The claim about Charlie’s friend calling the DA to tell on Donna and Harvey is unverified. We don’t know if it’s true.
See page 4 of the Search Warrant for Donna's phone, it's verified there.

Attachments

Just thinking out loud - don't want to put a dampener on the phone topic but....

as Wendi dumped her phone sometime 2014, is it likely that Donna would stick to the same phone over 10 years?

( source for that was Lacasse - Wendi was worried it had been bugged or so she said)
OMG so behind this morning ... grand kiddos are here today! I think she just got a new phone ... not new number. Remember JL & Isom chuckled at Wendi thinking her phone had a bug physically attached to her device. Not sure if this helps. I'm trying to catch up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen