GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TBM for focus...

Charlie has effectively declared that he is not about to roll over on any of his family members; at least not until all his appeals have been exhausted. That might change if the Leon DA's office were to make a plea offer to DA but one would have to think considering the age of DA that there would only be interest from the defense side if the offer was near-zero jail time. MOO that scenario would not have much legs.... A similar offer to WA might but any deposition under those circumstances would negate CA's reasonable opportunity at trial should any appeal be successful.

DA's lawyer is arguing that DA is not a suicide threat and has not been able to realistically participate in preparing a defense: While conveniently ignoring that the move from Miami to Tallahassee and the effective isolation from HA and WA and all the other comforts, represents to the Leon County administrators, renewal of concern for her mental health and apprehension of her "suicide as coercion" vignette. Maybe DA needs to abandon that tactic to a different toolbox? Of course, that bell is already rung....

As to speedy trial: as prediction, DA will continue with MD until a few days prior to scheduled trial then ditch her for alternate local counsel. Meantime, MD will do her best to improve DA's conditions and standing at LC jail but in DA's terms there will always be another BMW topic; its a Don Quixote, Pyrrhic mission at best.

All JMO; OMO; IANAL and anticipating great drama outside the court room....

ETC:"....DA needs to abandon..."
I don't think that Donna's suicide manipulation act, IMO would result in the preventative measures that it did. A wise person would drop the act. Now she's just going for martryr status. I agree from the photos I've seen and descriptions of her behavior that she's defiant, not wilting away. She's starving herself on purpose, like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

I don't think that Donna's suicide manipulation act, IMO would result in the preventative measures that it did. A wise person would drop the act. Now she's just going for martryr status. I agree from the photos I've seen and descriptions of her behavior that she's defiant, not wilting away. She's starving herself on purpose, like a toddler throwing a tantrum.
I'm having difficulty editing to clarify what I meant. What I meant to say is that I don't think Donna realized that her suicide manipulation tactic would result in actual suicide prevention measures.

I'm having difficulty editing to clarify what I meant. What I meant to say is that I don't think Donna realized that her suicide manipulation tactic would result in actual suicide prevention measures.
I think you could be correct. She thought it might get her some sympathy or something, not realizing it would actually make her situation quite miserable. She will get her eval and be moved out of suicide watch soon enough.

I am particularly glad he got to talk about the underhanded (in my opinion) move of inviting them to the older child’s Bar Mitzvah, then scheduling a visit earlier, and then withdrawing the Bar Mitzvah invitation after the visit. And he said they were only invited to the ceremony, not the party. Just, wow. I suppose that would have been an awkward party had they gone. I can’t even imagine. And why were the visits supervised? That wasn’t ordered by any court, as far as I know.

I've heard Ruth talk about the reunion with the grandchildren several times now but was sad to hear confirmation from Phil that the Markel's were not permitted to attend Ben's Bar Mitzvah ceremony after all.

Previously, I understood the Markel's were invited to Benjamin's Bar Mitzvah ceremony but were not invited to the reception following. At the time, it also seemed reasonable that the event was canceled and would be rescheduled due to CA's recent arrest. But to now learn from Phil that the ceremony took place on the original date, and the Markel invite to the ceremony essentially rescinded, is punitive!

More recently during CA's trial, Ruth spoke about having a scheduled visit with the grandsons this month, December (many speculated this might be Lincoln's Bar Mitzvah). I pray that whatever the event, the visit will indeed happen, without interruption.

While I understand there's heightened interest about any contact with the grandsons, I respect Ruth is probably walking on eggshells with WA (even before DA was arrested), and is sensitive to anything she says publicly, giving WA cause to pull the rug out from under her.

Seeing DA incarcerated and facing the reality that this could be forever, I'd like to think the mother would put the interests of her only children above her own own here and facilitate contact with Ruth -- their only grandmother enjoying freedom. Well, guess no harm in dreaming. :(

I've heard Ruth talk about the reunion with the grandchildren several times now but was sad to hear confirmation from Phil that the Markel's were not permitted to attend Ben's Bar Mitzvah ceremony after all.

Previously, I understood the Markel's were invited to Benjamin's Bar Mitzvah ceremony but were not invited to the reception following. At the time, it also seemed reasonable that the event was canceled and would be rescheduled due to CA's recent arrest. But to now learn from Phil that the ceremony took place on the original date, and the Markel invite to the ceremony essentially rescinded, is punitive!

More recently during CA's trial, Ruth spoke about having a scheduled visit with the grandsons this month, December (many speculated this might be Lincoln's Bar Mitzvah). I pray that whatever the event, the visit will indeed happen, without interruption.

While I understand there's heightened interest about any contact with the grandsons, I respect Ruth is probably walking on eggshells with WA (even before DA was arrested), and is sensitive to anything she says publicly, giving WA cause to pull the rug out from under her.

Seeing DA incarcerated and facing the reality that this could be forever, I'd like to think the mother would put the interests of her only children above her own own here and facilitate contact with Ruth -- their only grandmother enjoying freedom. Well, guess no harm in dreaming. :(
I saw Ruth on Court TV the other night, she didn’t mention any visit having taken place or that one was scheduled. I thought that was unusual, because she had said previously that a visit was scheduled for December. She said it was unfortunate that the boys had to have their Bar Mitzvahs amid all of this. She didn’t mention anything about the younger boy. He is 13 now, if I recall correctly. I doubt that they would be invited to his Bar Mitzvah, but I don’t know for sure, of course. She might not even know what is going on with it.

I saw Ruth on Court TV the other night, she didn’t mention any visit having taken place or that one was scheduled. I thought that was unusual, because she had said previously that a visit was scheduled for December. She said it was unfortunate that the boys had to have their Bar Mitzvahs amid all of this. She didn’t mention anything about the younger boy. He is 13 now, if I recall correctly. I doubt that they would be invited to his Bar Mitzvah, but I don’t know for sure, of course. She might not even know what is going on with it.
Phil said today
"
This is the year that Lincoln turns 13, the age of bar mitzvah. As yet, we have not been informed if and when he will have a bar mitzvah, nor if we will be invited to participate in this very important time of Lincoln’s life. I have very little hope that we will be allowed to participate in this important life cycle event.
"

Phil's words were intentional, as were Ruth's & Shelly's at the previous sentencing hearings . They are fully aware that their beloved grandsons will know/read of " everything" one day. They are of pure heart. I pray they live long enough to have the relationships they've been denied.

She is appearing at an event in S Florida Dec 20.She stated a few months ago she was scheduled to see the boys also in December. Not sure if thats still happening.

I am particularly glad he got to talk about the underhanded (in my opinion) move of inviting them to the older child’s Bar Mitzvah, then scheduling a visit earlier, and then withdrawing the Bar Mitzvah invitation after the visit. And he said they were only invited to the ceremony, not the party. Just, wow. I suppose that would have been an awkward party had they gone. I can’t even imagine. And why were the visits supervised? That wasn’t ordered by any court, as far as I know.
Whats even more awkward is that it’s usually the same day. The service is Saturday morning,and the reception is usually Saturday night. Wendi didn't want them socializing with anyone or talking to anyone.It would be easy for them not to do that just sitting in the synagogue.

Whats even more awkward is that it’s usually the same day. The service is Saturday morning,and the reception is usually Saturday night. Wendi didn't want them socializing with anyone or talking to anyone.It would be easy for them not to do that just sitting in the synagogue.
Exactly.

“There I was, holding in my arms this gift of life ... an absolute sheer joy,” Phil Markel said. “From the time he was a child, my son had tremendous energy, intelligence and great warmth. Dan had a vibrant, fun-living personality and lived life to the fullest.”

“We have no idea of what these two boys know or have been told about Danny's death,” Phil Markel said. “I truly believe that they have been brainwashed in all these years, from the ages of 3 and 4 to the present day. I also have no idea what the boys know of us, the entire Markel family, our history ... and especially how much we love them and wish they were an active part of our family.”

“It is satisfying to see justice being done,” Phil Markel said. “The wheels of justice turn very, very slowly, but right now we're grateful that they're still turning. Thank you. Today is a good day.”

“You are going to be sentenced as follows: As to Count 1, the first-degree murder count, you are sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of release or parole," Everett said, adding that he would serve consecutive 30-year sentences on the other two counts.

“Mr. Adelson, you are going to be fingerprinted today, and from here you are going to be sent to the Department of Corrections to begin serving your sentence.”

'Forever taken': Charlie Adelson sentenced to life in jail as Dan Markel's father reflects​

JEFF BURLEW, TALLAHASSEE DEMOCRAT
December 12, 2023 at 12:37 PM

Charlie looks terrible. He looks like he's aged since his conviction.

Such a tragedy for the Markels and their grandchildren. I hope they are reunited and can develop a relationship. Only then will they have the chance to really know who their father was.

Charlie looks terrible. He looks like he's aged since his conviction.

Such a tragedy for the Markels and their grandchildren. I hope they are reunited and can develop a relationship. Only then will they have the chance to really know who their father was.
I hope Charlie can reach remorse. He did a very evil thing and maybe now that he is not so removed from it he can see how truly evil it was. He did seem to be listening to Phil Markel speak.
That said I’m so glad he got life without parole and he deserves nothing less.
RIP Dan.

I hope Charlie can reach remorse. He did a very evil thing and maybe now that he is not so removed from it he can see how truly evil it was. He did seem to be listening to Phil Markel speak.
That said I’m so glad he got life without parole and he deserves nothing less.
RIP Dan.

I'm not sure what to think given the degree of enmeshment in the Adelson family.

I don't know whether or not seeing DA arrested and following his path was a light bulb moment of 'wtf were were thinking?' or if CA's response will be that of a martyr. Perhaps they (CA/DA) will both become martyrs for WA.

I once said that the Adelson code was to protect WA at all costs or you are out. Guess it didn't work out so good and better to be out of the family.

I think about Robert and hope he can find peace with all of this. It can't be easy seeing your own mother incarcerated and facing serious charges, let alone your little brother sentenced to life+.

Following on from your points above

Florida Politics asks another question :
'How did Wendi’s relocation problem turn into something that Charlie would compromise his own life to solve?
How can Wendi move on with her own life — perhaps even becoming the trustee of the family’s millions, largely earned by Charlie himself — while Charlie’s biggest satisfaction will now come from a limited prison commissary?'

Wendi and Charlie have been reported to not have spoken since his arrest. This seems quite high risk for Wendi, how long would he cover for her if there is no contact?

Also, has anyone heard of Wendi having an eating disorder in her past? I’m sure that somewhere. The family may have had previous saving Wendi experience if so

Wendi and Charlie have been reported to not have spoken since his arrest. This seems quite high risk for Wendi, how long would he cover for her if there is no contact?

Also, has anyone heard of Wendi having an eating disorder in her past? I’m sure that somewhere. The family may have had previous saving Wendi experience if so
Wendi suggested in her podcast that her mother had one.
she stated that her mother tried to go to Weight watchers bc she thought she was fat but she was turned down bc she was so thin.(not exact words but the gist of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks