FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are on break until approx 1 pm for jury selection. The live stream has only had brief snippets of court room activity/audio because they do not show the jurors being questioned. So far they've basically only showed the judge giving instructions and the parties/lawyers walking in and out of court. I guess if the lawyers make any arguments to the judge in open court they will show that as well. JMO.

Last edited:
Perhaps this (live stream) is allowed in Florida. Generally, states only allow the audio recorded during juror selection to protect the privacy of the candidates and the final jury.
Florida has a very broad (perhaps the most broad in the country) public disclosure law. Government-in-the-Sunshine Law:

Florida has a very broad (perhaps the most broad in the country) public disclosure law. Government-in-the-Sunshine Law:

Learned just how broad the Florida public disclosure laws during CA trial! Currently following the Dulos case in CT and we are lucky to learn twice a week by MSM-- if even that, how many jurors have been selected.

Judge Everett dismissed a potential juror that previously served on the jury for the trial of Katherine Magbanua, who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Dan Markel.

Judge Stephen Everett told potential jurors he expects the trial to take about three weeks.

Jury selection began at 8:52 Monday morning for the trial of Charlie Adelson. He is accused of hiring hitmen to kill his former brother-in-law FSU Law professor Dan Markel in 2014.

Judge Everett dismissed a potential juror that previously served on the jury for the trial of Katherine Magbanua, who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Dan Markel.

Judge Stephen Everett told potential jurors he expects the trial to take about three weeks.

Jury selection began at 8:52 Monday morning for the trial of Charlie Adelson. He is accused of hiring hitmen to kill his former brother-in-law FSU Law professor Dan Markel in 2014.

OK, this had to be a juror on KB's first trial, right?! Given KB was convicted July 2022, it doesn't follow that the dismissed juror candidate would be summoned for jury duty again only one year later!

Last edited:
On Friday, Josh Dubin, a jury-selection consultant, filed an appearance on CA's behalf.
Out of NYC. I'm wondering how he found his way to this trial. Via Rashbaum or the Adelsons?

My courtroom observations from this morning:

Jury selection Day 1

Thanks @katiecoolady for your dedication, and great observations!

I too am surprised to learn how friendly Judge Everett was 'off the bench' since my impression thus far has been he's no-nonsense, and runs a very efficient courtroom.

Are you sure the red haired, 'scanning individual' from the defense is not the Jury Consultant? Might explain his intense, close watch of the candidates-- probably including body language.

Thanks again!

ETA: Could red hair be: Darren K. Ishmael, Esq. --Director of Litigation Strategy

ETA: Could red hair be: Darren K. Ishmael, Esq. --Director of Litigation Strategy

Yes! I believe that is him! They brought 2-3 consultants with them. They are smart to know that Charlie's only hope is one errant sympathetic juror.

OK, this had to be a juror on KB's first trial! Given KB was convicted July 2022, it doesn't follow that the dismissed juror candidate would be summoned for jury duty again only one year later!
Either way, small world…what are the odds.

Although I served on a jury with someone who said it was their 5th jury and that they basically get a summons every other year. I was like HUH?

Out of NYC. I'm wondering how he found his way to this trial. Via Rashbaum or the Adelsons?
Katie, thank you so much for your live dispatches.

I'm feeling hopeful that Charlie will be convicted based on the evidence and the excellent lawyering by the state to date (THANK YOU GC!), BUT having a top-notch jury consulting team is super disturbing and threatening. They are going to be "de-selecting" anyone prone to convict, and all they need is ONE skeptic or wacko to derail everything. I was present for some of the original OJ Simpson criminal trial, and even with no background in profiling or consulting at the time, I only had to take one look at the jury to know that they were not going to convict him. You could feel it.

As they get names of potential jurors, "the redhead" is probably texting home base to have their research teams gather everything about everyone so they can figure out who to get rid of, strategically. I have seen dossiers pulled together very quickly in high-stakes cases.

Once trial gets going, I'd love to know if jurors are making eye contact with Dan's family.

Katie, thank you so much for your live dispatches.

I'm feeling hopeful that Charlie will be convicted based on the evidence and the excellent lawyering by the state to date (THANK YOU GC!), BUT having a top-notch jury consulting team is super disturbing and threatening. They are going to be "de-selecting" anyone prone to convict, and all they need is ONE skeptic or wacko to derail everything. I was present for some of the original OJ Simpson criminal trial, and even with no background in profiling or consulting at the time, I only had to take one look at the jury to know that they were not going to convict him. You could feel it.

As they get names of potential jurors, "the redhead" is probably texting home base to have their research teams gather everything about everyone so they can figure out who to get rid of, strategically. I have seen dossiers pulled together very quickly in high-stakes cases.

Once trial gets going, I'd love to know if jurors are making eye contact with Dan's family.

I will be keenly watching the jurors and making anonymous observations about them. Stay tuned!

Thanks @katiecoolady for your dedication, and great observations!

I too am surprised to learn how friendly Judge Everett was 'off the bench' since my impression thus far has been he's no-nonsense, and runs a very efficient courtroom.

Are you sure the red haired, 'scanning individual' from the defense is not the Jury Consultant? Might explain his intense, close watch of the candidates-- probably including body language.

Thanks again!

Pretty sure Bill Wenzel on that page is the third one in there.

I will be keenly watching the jurors and making anonymous observations about them. Stay tuned!

It will be interesting to learn how Judge Everett responds to either side striking potential candidates (i.e., peremptory challenges).

During Letecia Stauch's trial, the presiding Colorado Judge overruled the challenges of certain juror candidates if he did not agree with cited reasons why they should be dismissed.

I can't recall a Judge as invested in jury selection as for Gannon and don't know if this was due in part to the defendant claiming NGRI defense or not. JMO

@katiecoolady Thank you for your impressions and video. Great job! Describing Charlie as fish belly pasty sounds just awful! I wonder what the red headed, bearded defense fellow was doing by looking at the jurors and consulting his phone as you described. The gamesmenship here seems shady. Looking forward to more of your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member