FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As best I can tell, so far there is NO evidence of an extortion plot against Charlie. His only shot will be to take the stand and I don't see how he can be remotely credible. If it were true, I'd expect him to call Donna and Harvey to corroborate the story but we know that aint happening. He has SO much baggage to explain on the wiretaps == let alone all the facts including now direct evidence that he did, indeed, hire the hit. I'd put a lot of money on conviction right now.

As best I can tell, so far there is NO evidence of an extortion plot against Charlie. His only shot will be to take the stand and I don't see how he can be remotely credible. If it were true, I'd expect him to call Donna and Harvey to corroborate the story but we know that aint happening. He has SO much baggage to explain on the wiretaps == let alone all the facts including now direct evidence that he did, indeed, hire the hit. I'd put a lot of money on conviction right now.
I would never think that Katie could mastermind the extortion that's been laid out. That is the best aspect of her testimony for the state IMO.

I’ll be shocked if he takes the stand personally. I don’t think he will.

This also shows that Jeff L was a mark. He was set up as the patsy always. Maybe WA thought JL would do it since she got him so wound up as someone else said.

I missed the break announcement? What time are they coming back.

I can't recall everything she & Rash said, would have to watch it again
but off top of my head:
the positive bits from KM, IF you're a juror who wants to believe her (& the missed opportunities on redirect).

- Soon after KM starts to date her, around Halloween he asks her if she knows somebody who could harm somebody ( GC should have clarified what harm was again on redirect & whether CA was already speaking in code. GC could have even created further suspicion around CA by asking whether she thought CA was looking for somebody ' both sides of the track'
- KM corroborates that there was no name on the paper. She says she only knew of ' Wendy's husband' not the name Dan Markel. This shows how careful CA was. KM also tells Rash that CA thought he could get away with anything, in general, in life. ( I would have repeated that on redirect because there's wire taps which prove he's that arrogant on all kinds of criminality)

- DA may have been washing dollars. The extreme lengths the family was going to to protect themselves

- KM corroborated Luis Rivera proffer , that 'it was for the lady and Katie kept Charlies name out of it as much as she could when she was discussing the hit with Sig. (Georgia could've used that to bolster ' walling off ' of the conspiracy plot)
- the sealed envelope details. The extreme lengths CA was going to, to protect himself as well as Katie, warning her not to touch the contents. ( Ditto Georgia could've used that to bolster ' walling off ' of the conspiracy plot. This is part of the over-arching story about how a rich, ' upstanding ' family believed they could take this risk and felt they could get away with it, and they almost did, for 9 years. Fire-up the jurors!)

-

Last edited:
This also shows that Jeff L was a mark. He was set up as the patsy always. Maybe WA thought JL would do it since she got him so wound up as someone else said.
Can you explain your reasoning, not able to watch this during the day.

It seems like the state is sleepwalking through this. At first I thought it was because they were really going to hit the jury hard with Katie, but that was underwhelming as well. Why not ask, on redirect, whether it was her idea to come forward with the proffer, or whether she was called in because the state wanted to meet with her? Especially since the defense leaned so hard on “why are you coming forward now?”

it’s like they think the defense is so ridiculous they don’t have to put on a case. But juries are unpredictable.

so do you think Katie will get a deal after all of this trial? She wanted to see her kids
Yes, unless she blatantly lied in this trial, I think the the state will follow through and file a motion with the court to have her sentence reduced. I don't think the state wants to get a reputation for not rewarding cooperation. How much the judge will allow it to be reduced is another question.

It seems like the state is sleepwalking through this. At first I thought it was because they were really going to hit the jury hard with Katie, but that was underwhelming as well. Why not ask, on redirect, whether it was her idea to come forward with the proffer, or whether she was called in because the state wanted to meet with her? Especially since the defense leaned so hard on “why are you coming forward now?”

it’s like they think the defense is so ridiculous they don’t have to put on a case. But juries are unpredictable.
I swear it's like they are just speeding through this trial like they have $h*t planned for friday and they need to be done instead of being thorough. (Both sides!)

Yes, unless she blatantly lied i think the the state will follow though and file a motion with the court to have her sentence reduced. I don't think the state wants to get a reputation for not rewarding cooperation. How much the judge will allow it to be reduced is another question.
I think it also will depend upon how the rest of this trial plays out. The state always seeks to interview jurors (something that is up to the jurors, but usually at least some will talk) and if the jury acquits Charlie and says Katie's testimony was part of their reasoning to acquit, well, they wouldn't be as motivated to reward her. On the other hand, if he is convicted I would expect them to seek some sort of consideration for her.

What made Rivera think Katie is the mastermind? On what basis after we hear Katie's testimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member