FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the reason the first attempt failed according to the State. I don't know what SG/LR told KM about the reason for the failure, and I don't know what KM passed along to CA about it. Does anyone know what KM told CA about it? TIA.

"Prosecutors say the June trip was cut short when a Miami rental car company found out Garcia and Rivera were in Tallahassee. The car was rented for local use only. Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman said the company pinged the GPS on the car and Rivera and Garcia immediately turned around and headed back to Miami."

This is the first I’m hearing about this. Rivera never testified to this at any of the trials from what I recall. From his testimony, it sounded like they were ambivalent on the first trip and that’s why it wasn’t done. JMO

Was there ever a “first first” hit attempt? Not the first one with Sig and Luis, but one before that? Supposedly the A’s had hired a couple of hitmen who just ran off with their $ (I think $50k). Has anyone heard that too? I guess it’s just a rumor? I’ve heard it/read it a few times before over this whole case. Moo

This is the first I’m hearing about this. Rivera never testified to this at any of the trials from what I recall. From his testimony, it sounded like they were ambivalent on the first trip and that’s why it wasn’t done. JMO
Here's another cite:

"A rental car company may have prevented two murder suspects in the death of a Florida State University law professor from carrying out the crime in an earlier attempt, prosecutors say.

According to Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman, murder suspects Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera traveled to Tallahassee in June 2014, the month before the slaying of law professor Dan Markel, report the Tallahassee Democrat and WCTV. The car was rented for local use only, and the GPS alerted the company that the men were in Tallahassee. They turned their car around."

Last edited:
A quick flashback to Katie’s testimony on direct with Georgia. When Georgia indirectly asks why Charlie did this and for whom, Katie confirms that Charlie did this hit for his parents but primarily for Donna. Donna was losing sleep. Not Wendi. IMO it’s very clear that the state does not believe Wendi was the driving force for this murder plan.

From 1:16:46 to 1:18:46 ——-

Was there ever a “first first” hit attempt? Not the first one with Sig and Luis, but one before that? Supposedly the A’s had hired a couple of hitmen who just ran off with their $ (I think $50k). Has anyone heard that too? I guess it’s just a rumor? I’ve heard it/read it a few times before over this whole case. Moo
Yes I believe Jeff Lacasse has testified to this /discussed it in his interview with LE.

A cellmate of Sigfredo's claimed that the Adelson's had previously hired two hitmen who took the cash and ran.

You can hear the snitch's interview on this youtube video at 58:30.

Dec 27, 2023 #BestGuests #STSNation
Welcome to another episode of Surviving The Survivor, the podcast that brings you the #BestGuests in all of true crime. And...this episode is no different.In this special taping, STS takes you BTS of a live event in South Florida. JAFCO hosted Perspectives of Trial Life and invited STS Host Joel Waldman along with Ruth Markel, Dennis Murphy and Dave Aronberg to discuss the Dan Markel story and the long journey for trial, the families involved and the community rallying behind them.

Cannot access the article, but answer re 50K may be within it,fwiw.
''Five days before the murder, he said Wendi told him a more serious version of the story, that in the summer of 2013, Charlie Adelson had "investigated multiple ways to fix this problem of Danny Markel," including hiring someone to kill him.Oct 23, 2023''

Charlie Adelson murder trial: Breaking down the witness list

Tallahassee Democrat

''Rivera later admitted it was the second attempt to kill Markel after a previous try in early June 2014 when they followed him but "lost him."

A former boyfriend of Adelson, Jeffrey Lacasse, told investigators that Charlie Adelson had "looked into" hiring a hitman for $15,000 in the summer of 2013.
"She said Charlie had explored all options to take care of the problem and Charlie suggested having Professor Markel killed," Lacasse testified. In Charlie Adelson's trial in 2023, Wendy Adelson denied ever telling Lacasse such a thing,''

''During the more than 40-minute video recording, Adelson allegedly suggested making a one-time “charity” payment to the so-called blackmailer or else killing him. "And so help me God, if they f--k with my family, it's gonna be, like, f--king that Nazi sh-t because this will be done. You know what I'm saying? I mean, Katie, I don't care what I spend. Okay? I swear to God, Katie. Katie, the person doesn't know."

Last edited:
A Google search will take you to the Tallahassee Democrat for that comment. I found it also. I just put in 2 hours of LR testimony at the first trial and I will put in more time because I am almost positive that on the stand he stated that the first attempt was failed because Markel was with his kids.
By the way, when someone puts a laughing emoji to a comment, is that laughing at the persons comment in a derogatory manner? Just curious. I have watched LR’s testimony more times than I’d like to admit because I found him fascinating.

''The men’s first attempt to kill Markel ended within a few days. They followed the legal scholar around town but decided to head back to Miami when the company they had rented a car from noticed they had traveled beyond the agreement for local use only.''

Cannot access the article, but answer re 50K may be within it,fwiw.
''Five days before the murder, he said Wendi told him a more serious version of the story, that in the summer of 2013, Charlie Adelson had "investigated multiple ways to fix this problem of Danny Markel," including hiring someone to kill him.Oct 23, 2023''

Charlie Adelson murder trial: Breaking down the witness list

Tallahassee Democrat

''Rivera later admitted it was the second attempt to kill Markel after a previous try in early June 2014 when they followed him but "lost him."

A former boyfriend of Adelson, Jeffrey Lacasse, told investigators that Charlie Adelson had "looked into" hiring a hitman for $15,000 in the summer of 2013.
"She said Charlie had explored all options to take care of the problem and Charlie suggested having Professor Markel killed," Lacasse testified. In Charlie Adelson's trial in 2023, Wendy Adelson denied ever telling Lacasse such a thing,''

''During the more than 40-minute video recording, Adelson allegedly suggested making a one-time “charity” payment to the so-called blackmailer or else killing him. "And so help me God, if they f--k with my family, it's gonna be, like, f--king that Nazi sh-t because this will be done. You know what I'm saying? I mean, Katie, I don't care what I spend. Okay? I swear to God, Katie. Katie, the person doesn't know."
The “first” hit i was referring to is not the same one as Sig & Luis’ first attempt. It was before that and ch_13 provided a link regarding a cellmate of Sig’s saying that prior to SG/LR came into the picture the A’s had hired a couple of hitmen who then just took the money and ran. The $$ for that was allegedly $50k, the same amount that WA divulged to JL (he couldn’t remember if she had said $25k or $50k). But if true that would make sense as to why she said that amount to JL.

The “first” hit i was referring to is not the same one as Sig & Luis’ first attempt. It was before that and ch_13 provided a link regarding a cellmate of Sig’s saying that prior to SG/LR came into the picture the A’s had hired a couple of hitmen who then just took the money and ran. The $$ for that was allegedly $50k, the same amount that WA divulged to JL (he couldn’t remember if she had said $25k or $50k). But if true that would make sense as to why she said that amount to JL.
Oops correcting my above post. Typo… WA told JL the amount was either $15k or $50k (he couldn’t recall which). (I don’t know how to edit here lol)

So odd, can't find it this morning, so would appreciate if someone can insert the link.... I watched an episode of STS and the entire (and riveting!!!) show was with a man who is now an attorney/lobbyist in Tallahassee. His name is Jared Ross. Attended high school with CA & WA, a year of law school with WA and knew DM & WA socially. By far the best information/insight I have heard in along time. He is a verbal scalpel who calls out WA's BS
on various testimonies. He didn't want to believe she was involved but the tide turned as he listened to her on the stand. He even attended part of CA's trial and CA commented to DR, "I went to high school with that guy."
For instance, WA's propensity to "use other people's situations" and make them her own to gain sympathy. Her father was not a brain cancer survivor that she wanted to take hiking to Machu Pichu!!! That was someone else, but she "borrowed" the story from another person's actual situation. Her BS about her circuitous drive to the liquor store, from a local's perspective. I have "peripherally suspected" after hearing JL...WA can not stand for anyone to see her as less than perfect. I believe a large part of wanting to leave Tally was the inability to balance "how she wanted to be viewed" vs "how things were occurring in her contentious divorce." JL used the word, decompensate. ( I called it an off-the-wall temper tantrum. I didn't know the definition then. But that is why JL is a professor/expert...he knew it was more than just a passing issue.) "Decompensate is a verb that means to lose the ability to maintain normal or appropriate psychological defenses, sometimes resulting in depression, anxiety, or delusions."
As always...this crime is horrible.

Dec 27, 2023 #BestGuests #STSNation
Welcome to another episode of Surviving The Survivor, the podcast that brings you the #BestGuests in all of true crime. And...this episode is no different.In this special taping, STS takes you BTS of a live event in South Florida. JAFCO hosted Perspectives of Trial Life and invited STS Host Joel Waldman along with Ruth Markel, Dennis Murphy and Dave Aronberg to discuss the Dan Markel story and the long journey for trial, the families involved and the community rallying behind them.
Incredible woman. I was there. Imagine how proud Dan Markel would be of his mother. It took a horrific tragedy to bring good for so many (grandparents).I am amazed that Ruth can have her speech memorized at her age. She is truly a brilliant remarkable woman.
Sadly the act doesnt apply to her situation.

So odd, can't find it this morning, so would appreciate if someone can insert the link.

I'm hoping that more people close to the Adelsons make appearances like this.

It was mentioned in this episode that Taravella HIgh School had another attendee that was a murderer. This refreshed my memory of Bradley Mills, who got 50 years as one of the primary instigators of a mob attack (7 people) /hate crime that killed Luyen Nguyen in 1992 at a Coral Springs apartment. The judge threw the book at him with that 50Y sentence for second-degree murder for which a 12-17 sentence is normal. Mills did not serve his complete sentence, he was released in 2014 (~20 years in prison). Another member of the mob is still serving his life sentence.

I was living in Broward at the time, this case was headline news with national attention because of the Asian hate-crime aspect. The Adelsons would have been well aware of it.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that more people close to the Adelsons make appearances like this.

It was mentioned in this episode that Taravella HIgh School had another attendee that was a murderer. This refreshed my memory of Bradley Mills, who got 50 years as one of the primary instigators of a mob attack (7 people) /hate crime that killed Luyen Nguyen in 1992 at a Coral Springs apartment. The judge threw the book at him with that 50Y sentence for second-degree murder for which a 12-17 sentence is normal. Mills did not serve his complete sentence, he was released in 2014 (~20 years in prison). Another member of the mob is still serving his life sentence.

I was living in Broward at the time, this case was headline news with national attention because of the Asian hate-crime aspect. The Adelsons would have been well aware of it.

FERPO Thank you, thank you, thank you for linking the video!! (Hubby was so upset while I was listening to this last night. Put a pillow over his head at first...then he became as interested as me.) Ironically Jared Ross's spouse is a criminal appeals attorney...go figure. When asked if CA was a golden child, he immediately says, "No." "I think Wendi has always been the golden child." (IMO the gold leaf tiara is beginning to show some wear.) CA was the one child who never ventured further than 200 miles from home in obtaining his professional degrees. He even went into the same profession and worked in the same office as his parents. even purchasing his father's practice at one point. And yet, DA lamenting how bad things are going for her, (parphrasing) "I have a son who doesn't talk to me, a son sentenced to prison, and the daughter, I love won't talk to me!!"
Talk about reality smacking you in the face. (Uh, only momentarily) DA still has an ace up her sleeve, IMO.
Sure she is upset with WA, but secretly still knows how to control her. Drumroll please... “I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never called us,” Donna Adelson said. “Everyone looks to protect you. I bet you’ve got a lot to think about.”
Oh wow. Did DA (imo) just made a veiled threat to WA? ie: Big Momma just threw down the gauntlet. Ya' better come down off your high horse missy, cuz' we can bring you down, if we choose to no longer protect you????
So who will DA ultimately pick...Her loyal son or her disloyal daughter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member