GUILTY FL - Janiya Thomas, 11, Bradenton, Jan 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"According to a warrant affidavit obtained Thursday evening by the Bradenton Herald, the frozen body of a small black child was contorted to fit in a small cardboard box within the freezer, along with two boxes of baking soda. No other items were in the freezer.

The warrant affidavit sheds light on an exchange between Thomas and a resident of the home where she reportedly dropped the freezer off last week. According to the document, the occupant asked Thomas why the freezer was locked. Thomas said she didn't want the occupant to steal her meat. The occupant also asked Thomas why she was plugging it in and Thomas replied she didn't want her meat to go bad.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article40825257.html#storylink=cpy"

That'd explain why it wasn't easy to positively ID the body on sight. This is so upsetting. I agree, that "mother" needs every charge they can possibly pin on her.

From that link...

"They are pretty sure they know who it is and know the cause of death, but they need to make sure they have medical findings that confirm their beliefs," Radzilowski said.

I hope they are able to confirm their suspicions.

So this was the excuse that KT used for moving the freezer to the relatives house. There was a tweet a couple of days ago that LE was talking to the boyfriend. I wonder if he also confirmed this reason, but didn't anyone think it weird the freezer was padlocked? Good thing the relatives finally broke that lock, but not until after KT was taken into custody. This article only states the police have not identified him...so not giving his name out?

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article40825257.html

Keishanna Thomas and a boyfriend, yet to be identified by police, brought the freezer to the home Oct. 14 under the guise she was being evicted.

So this was the excuse that KT used for moving the freezer to the relatives house. There was a tweet a couple of days ago that LE was talking to the boyfriend. I wonder if he also confirmed this reason, but didn't anyone think it weird the freezer was padlocked? Good thing the relatives finally broke that lock, but not until after KT was taken into custody. This article only states the police have not identified him...so not giving his name out?

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article40825257.html

Keishanna Thomas and a boyfriend, yet to be identified by police, brought the freezer to the home Oct. 14 under the guise she was being evicted.

In the article you linked, yes they did ask why the freezer was locked. "The warrant affidavit sheds light on an exchange between Thomas and a resident of the home where she reportedly dropped the freezer off last week. According to the document, the occupant asked Thomas why the freezer was locked. Thomas said she didn't want the occupant to steal her meat. The occupant also asked Thomas why she was plugging it in and Thomas replied she didn't want her meat to go bad."

They know who the boyfriend is and have talked to him. They haven't released his name to the public. I also read someplace that this boyfriend is fairly recent and they were also talking to a prior boyfriend who she was with at the time of Janiya's death.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinelock-MLDOOR-XL-Chest-Freezer-Lock/dp/B002WYT2VK

There are several styles of locks that are designed specifically for post purchase installation to freezers and refrigerators.

attachment.php

Ya know, Ms Thomas deciding not to talk is within her rights.
Although mighty disrespectful and defiant,"Non-compliance" is not too surprising.

She knows her goose is cooked. Why talk about it? Her actions are inexcusable and no amount of lip service is going to help her become not guilty.

Kim Kuizon FOX 13 ‏@kkuizon
Update: Charges for Keishanna Thomas now include Agg. child abuse, child abuse and abuse of dead body @FOX13News

Kim Kuizon FOX 13 ‏@kkuizon
Thomas has been charged with a 1st degree felony, 2nd degree felony and 3rd degree felony. Abuse of dead body should have no bond @FOX13News

Isabel Mascarenas ‏@IMascarenas
#Manatee court records: s"Keishanna Thomas locked freezer so no one steals her meat, plugged it in to keep meat from going bad #wtsp

Arrest warrant: deputies found child's body in freezer covered with ice crystals.. #JaniyaThomas #wtsp

New warrant on #JaniyaThomas case says body of small black child found in locked freezer, inside cardboard box #wtsp

[video=twitter;657605449345335296]https://twitter.com/kkuizon/status/657605449345335296[/video]

Bond is actually set at $100k for Keishanna Thomas @FOX13News #Manatee #Bradenton #Janiya

FWIW, I thnk the Bradenton Herald reporter got her Florida Statutes wrong; F.S. 827 includes Caylee's Law while F.S. 872 covers dead bodies.

Thomas is charged under F.S. 872.06(2):

(2) A person who mutilates, commits sexual abuse upon, or otherwise grossly abuses a dead human body commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/872.06

Thanks for the link. Stating the obvious, but the redacting/blacking out of that warrant was poorly done. The 'missing' pieces of the report are extremely readable!

Yes they are! I felt guilty reading the other children's names, but they were so easy to see!

What I got from that is the freezer was in the home :( she was put into a small box and baking soda was with her as well. Sick. I feel awful, those children will not only have to learn of their sisters death but also cope with the way she was stored.

Also, can I say the person who opened it had some major cajones! I would have just called the cops to look, but, I am sure they didn't imagine she would actually be in there, and they just needed to check to be sure! So glad they didn't just sit on this and took some action, just wished they would have spoke up sooner and pressed to know where she was.

I have been in the Wynarka thread so maybe I missed it, have the extended family said where they though Janiya was?

I agree..... some grandparent, aunt, or someone HAD to wonder where this kid was!!

This case breaks my heart because so many people failed this little girl. I can't understand WHY After they apparently were involved with the family so much that CPS did not take these children away from mom long ago? I mean I could see if CPS was involved maybe once but according to records they were involved several times over the past few years..I mean hello clearly mom is not doing something right when CPS is involved that much! Also, The whole school thing where supposedly mom pulled Janiya outta school to home school girl but the school contacted mom because the home school work was not completed and the mom said the child moved outta state..wtf? I can't understand why the school bought this without further questioning or atleast some sort of proof..Also, Janiya's family had to have realized this child was missing long before this point..it's been over a year since she was seen alive and I do not believe no one in this family was brave enough to confront mom and question her about Janiya's whereabouts and as far as the other siblings go if they were willing to tell police what was going on as far as Janiya being locked away in the bathroom and how the mother slept outside the bathroom making sure Janiya didn't leave I am sure the family had to have heard this at one point or another from the children, I do not understand if these children were being abused by mom why in the world this family did not step up and report her and the children be removed long before now and if that did happen that little girl would still be here..so many different scenarios here that could've panned out and saved this little girls life so sad :(

I do not believe this family went over a year without seeing this child alive without questioning it I mean yea maybe once or twice you buy the excuse she is out or at a friends or whatever but not for an entire year..

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it gives a little more info.

Incident Report from the Florida Department of Children and Families http://archive.wtsp.com/assetpool/documents/151021053215_ThomasIR Redacted.pdf

A bit of butt-covering, IMO. The authorities did do a little something, but that horse was out of the barn way before they stepped into it.

What value an 11 year old? Now that she is deceased, she's getting a lot of attention.

(My cynicism knows no bounds today, folks, please pardon.)

Dammit this makes me so angry. That poor little girl. Can you imagine how hard she tried not to make a mess? I know with me, stress and worry can make that upset start -- such pure he!! that little girl knew probably every minute she lived.

Any updates? I keep checking back but it's been a while.

Nothing in the last couple of days. LE says they expect an official identification this coming week - I sure hope so since we all know it's Janiya. :( Also hoping the further tests will reveal more info on how she died though LE seems to think they already know the COD.

There was a vigil for Janiya today:

BRADENTON, FL - The family of 11 year old Janiya Thomas is holding a candlelight vigil in her honor tonight. The vigil was organized by family and friends at the home where Janiya's body was found.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ndlelight-vigil-for-11-year-old-janiya-thomas

Too bad no one paid any attention to her while she was still alive...

Mom's due back in court Monday for the contempt charge.

Thomas is next scheduled to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. Monday before Circuit Judge Scott Brownell regarding her contempt of court order.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article41344323.html

I hate saying this, I don't like this family. My heart breaks for this family for the loss of that beautiful child but this family strikes me as odd..

- Who the hell goes over a year without seeing a child alive and does not question it?

- I did research and found several family members fb all have been recently updated and none pay any form of tribute or mention Janiya

- I dont understand why this family did not report mom for abuse surely someone in the family knew what was going on (abused kids often do look abused) and as far as the 12 and 15 year olds go they could speak up for themselves as well and highly doubt if the 15 year old spoke up to the family they would believe her

This whole entire case is just heart breaking to me

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrina Sleuth