Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Anika - In terms of the backpack, I found this article

Sheriff: Madeline Soto's body found in wooded area of Osceola County​

By Katie Streit, Randy Rauch, and Spectrum News Staff Orlando
UPDATED 6:36 PM ET Mar. 01, 2024 PUBLISHED 5:54 AM ET Feb. 29, 2024

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Orange County Sheriff's Office announced Friday evening that the body of 13-year-old Madeline Soto, who has been missing since Monday, was found in a wooded area of Osceola County.
Orange County Sheriff John Mina had said earlier in the day that investigators were "confident" Soto was already dead.
According to a social media post, Soto's body was found off Hickory Tree Road at about 4:30 p.m.
MADELINE SOTO’S BODY HAS BEEN FOUND.

At about 4:30 p.m. today, off of Hickory Tree Road, Osceola County Sheriff’s Office search teams located the body of Madeline Soto in a wooded area.

Madeline’s family has been notified. We have no additional information to release at… x.com
— Orange County Sheriff's Office (@OrangeCoSheriff) March 1, 2024
"It is with a heavy heart I inform everyone that as we expected, Madeline Soto is deceased. I am thankful that she was found and for the coordinated efforts of the Kissimmee Police Department, Saint Cloud Police Department, Orange County Sheriff's Office and the Osceola County Sheriff's Office that are able to bring some closure to the family." said Kissimmee Police Chief Betty Holland. "This is a sad day for our community and we mourn the loss of such a young life."

The boyfriend of Soto's mother, Stephan Sterns — who is currently being held at the Osceola County Jail on capital sexual battery charges — was supposed to have dropped her off at school Monday.

That didn't happen, Mina said, and video evidence of Sterns returning to his apartment complex
appears to show Soto, who investigators believe was already dead at the time, with him in his vehicle.

Police recovered Soto's backpack and school-issued laptop computer from a dumpster in the Osceola County apartment complex where Sterns lives. Investigators say they have video evidence of Sterns dropping some items in that dumpster at 7:35 a.m. Monday, Mina said.

Mina said footage taken at about 8:19 a.m. that morning, when Sterns returned to the apartment complex, shows what appears to be Soto's body.

Earlier in the week, the Kissimmee Police Department arrested the 37-year-old Sterns at his apartment complex on charges of sexual battery and possession of child sexual abuse material. The agencies are working together on this case, according to a statement released by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Sterns has been transferred from the Orange County Jail to the Osceola County Jail and is being held on capital sexual battery charges, a Kissimmee Police Department official said. The reason is investigators believe Soto was killed in Kissimmee, Mina said.

The case is being transitioned to a homicide investigation, and the Kissimmee Police Department, headed up by Chief of Police Betty Holland, will lead that investigation, Mina said. He urged anyone with information to contact Crimeline by phone at 800-423-TIPS (8477) or online.

Officials at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that Sterns was the prime suspect in the girl’s death and disappearance.

Sterns has not spoken with anyone, Mina said Friday.

Sterns originally was arrested because of images found on his phone, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said in a statement earlier this week.

“During the investigation into Madeline’s disappearance, Orange County Sheriff’s Office detectives discovered disturbing images when they forensically examined Sterns’ phone. A review of the phone’s data revealed attempts to delete evidence,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement earlier this week.

Authorities said in the press release that through the work of the Sheriff’s Office Digital Forensics Unit, detectives discovered images and videos that were criminal, and sexual, in nature.

The videos were found in the family’s home in Kissimmee, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Sterns waived his right to appear before a judge in Orange County on Thursday and was held without bond before being transferred to Osceola County.

Yeah true, we don't know who initiated it. But if the relationship was so cooled off, why would she let him close to her. If she ever was in tune with her own daughter she would know that she was not comfortable around him and no reason for him to be around her.
I wanna know why they were on again off again? What issues made them break up? How long were they together originally before someone called it quits? Who called off? Did they try counselling????

...I'm not familiar with the Chris Watts case but I've seen the same comparison quite a few times.
Staying on the topic of swaying as a "tell" of some kind, I hope you'll see how similar it is to Watt's sway. You have to see it in full motion to get the full effect. (see spoiler for just images) Jen's swaying is similar like an unconscious tell.

Jen doesn't seem aware of how strange it is that she's swaying like a tree in the breeze while reporting her daughter missing. The odd thing about Chris is how he immediately puts his hands on his head, and keeps one hand up there at all times. I guess an expert might say it's a soothing gesture. (It made me think of how cops yell "put your hands on your head" during an arrest.)

1717643188409.png
1717642147654.png
1717642285829.png1717642371748.png1717642221777.png

If that's accurate, why do you think she hasn't been arrested for her part in this vile crime?

Apart from statutes of limitations, which we're far away from because they are usually measured in years, there's no deadline on when to complete an investigation or when to make an arrest.

I am 100% positive that this is an ongoing investigation.

So: perhaps they haven't yet found evidence to charge her with anything.

Or perhaps they've found evidence to charge her with, but are looking for additional evidence to allow them to charge her with a more serious offense.

Perhaps she is cooperating to put away SS in exchange for a lesser charge.

Perhaps she's completely innocent. But I'm inclined to listen to my common sense and gut's opinions about everything I've seen, so I think this is unlikely.

I'm sure there are many things going on in the investigation that we know nothing about, as it should be.

Arrests can come a long time, even years, after the crime. We're only three months out.

Last edited:
MOO, she had more fondness in her look then than she had when she'd talk about her daughter. Usually, a parent shows some kind of affection remembering the last time they saw their child. Nope, sent her off to bed without mentioning any kiss or affection and "that was it".
I agree with this! The look on her face when that recording went off was charming, loving and gentle - none of which she showed when she spoke of her daughter IMO.

It's interesting that you say that because after seeing that body cam video, it looks like JS is entirely in charge. She takes the lead. MOO.
and at one point when she's talking she looks like she is frozen listening to everything he says, clip below, maybe its nothing, but it is interesting,
16:18

Last edited:
I found it interesting when JS says she doesn’t think Maddie’s laptop is trackable to the officer, and then a few of the girls chime in immediately saying it should be! I’m glad they offered up their opinion in that moment, drawing more attention to the laptop. If your daughter was missing, surely the answer wouldn’t be “I don’t think it’s trackable” but rather “let’s try it.” Maddy had her laptop - if they locate that, they locate the missing child. What mother wouldn’t be desperate to try that option? MOO

I overlooked your post earlier, but excellent point!

A hopeful mother would say, "I don't think so, but maybe it is! Let's try it!"

Rather than putting the kibosh on the whole idea.

Oh! There's two video clips, from two different officers. Now, I hear and see why people say Jen's swaying starts after the laptop is brought up.

View attachment 508203
View attachment 508199 19:26 Officer asks, Laptop? JS says she doesn't think it's trackable. View attachment 508200 She's told it would be trackable.View attachment 508204
Swaying has started. Someone please, help me to understand what makes her nervous about the laptop that she starts swaying? I think she's answering those questions sincerely wanting to give the officer info. Does she seem deceptive at that point? I don't think she knows SS had dumped the laptop early that morning before the school trip. Do you?

New bodycam footage shows the first day 13-year-old MadelineSoto was reported missing.
its her response that is suspect....similar to her press interview where she says we had people searching the woods/trail where LE was going and says, 'I dont think they will find anything' as if LE's resources are a waste of time....now this: right away, she poo poo's the possibility the laptop can be tracked...her facial expression has a stunned look hearing it can be tracked (if turned on).

from the onset, she 'thinks' madeline was 'taken' ....but there's no foundation for that thought process.

her media interview with Hannah McKenzie, "Im trying to hope for the best, Im just scared for her, I want her to be ok, I want her to be safe, I dont want her to come back harmed, I just want her back, whatever that means'. <-----out of place comment. then she quickly composes herself from the 'tearful' statement and complains LE isnt updating her, she had tips... 'they (LE) havent updated me since I spoke with them this morning'.......

jeez I wonder why.

tips??? really???? everything LE asked about Madeline (as well as the media) had a minus zero probability according to her relating to friends, social media, text messages, possible locations, etc. all LE and the media got was she was so happy, she's a happy girl, stating nothing happened that would prompt her to run away, so thats not probable either. she's somewhat challenged with ADHD, has autism traits, she doesnt know her home address, she doesnt know where her friends live, etc. she's forgetful...

those media interviews, for me, were shocking and offbeat then, and now, having the investigative results presented to date, are more chilling to watch wondering why she presented a united front......why why why.

...Do you know if that was before or after she had met with police? I'm guessing it was probably after, so maybe the police had told her something about holding a portion of the info back?
I think it was after, @Anika, so you're right in questioning the timing. She could've been told to hold back details to the public. Hmm... then why give a interview at all? Why confuse just about everyone with all the we we we's. She didn't clarify she didn't drop her off until much later into it. She acted like SS was a steady partner, a part of their lives like a stepfather when we know now he was only sometimes in their lives and not recently.

We all saw on camera her rubbing and consoling SS. WTH? This guy was an on and off boyfriend just coming back into their lives. She's consoling him! She said she saw Maddie that night, but we really don't know if she did. She didn't say anything about kissing her or tucking her in-- my darling daughter, happy from her birthday party. No, nothing, and she went off to bed and "that was it".

She didn't convey much affection for Madeline. SS talked about love more than the mom. I didn't feel an emotional connection between her and her daughter. Later, she lies to LE about seeing Madeline before school. Almost every case I've followed where the parent gave misleading info or lied when their child was missing turned out to be involved, or the very least, helping with a cover up. I can't form an definite opinion, yet, when I still have so many questions. I sure do have a hinky feeling though.

In the body cam videos there is one that is a few seconds taken from a 44-minute video. The rest is redacted.

It shows LE knocking on the condo door. JS answers and the officer says he needs something with regard to Maddie's clothes.

JS's flat response: "Oh."

Not: "Sure, what do you need? Is there anything else you need? Are you positive? Have you found out anything?"

Her affect is not one of a mother frantic that her child is missing.

I will never forget once when I was at a street fair and I gradually became aware of a woman yelling louder and louder, "Mary? MARY? MARY!!!!! Where are you?"

It quickly became apparent that her child had become separated from her and immediately people in the crowd were asking her what the child looked like, what she was wearing, and so forth.

She was found pretty quickly. She'd simply wandered away.

That mother's child was missing for all of two minutes, and she was bordering on hysteria.

Yet at least hours after Maddie's disappearance, my impression is JS looks irritated that LE is asking her for additional assistance in finding her missing daughter.

I am wondering if it was the Honda Civic or Nissan he supposedly also drove? Was one of them the vehicle of supposed ‘dislike’?

And if so, it is now known he had the father’s Lincoln that day.

So is that another huge hole in their story? MOO
Wait. Which car did he ARRIVE in when he first got to the Soto residence? Where was the car he usually drove? Unless that car he was driving a deceased MS in was the one he usually drove, where was his usual car?? I hope LE have investigated all vehicles associated with him throughly!

I found it interesting when JS says she doesn’t think Maddie’s laptop is trackable to the officer, and then a few of the girls chime in immediately saying it should be! I’m glad they offered up their opinion in that moment, drawing more attention to the laptop. If your daughter was missing, surely the answer wouldn’t be “I don’t think it’s trackable” but rather “let’s try it.” Maddy had her laptop - if they locate that, they locate the missing child. What mother wouldn’t be desperate to try that option? MOO
So I guess JS didn’t try to track the laptop herself or have anyone else try either then. I had wondered - when LE located it, was it powered on or off? It’s going to be interesting to learn what the last thing she did on it was and when.

5:30 minute mark - What does Jen mean MS didn't come out of the school when she went to pick her up, and they announced it over the speaker?............drove to her Mom's office, back to school, blah, blah, blah, "so, she never made it." She swallows.

7:48 after SS suggests she might have pics of Maddie at the birthday party, Jen reminds him she wasn't there. He should've known that if he was there, so I believe neither were at that party.

(All MOO, I think the family was not crazy about SS being around and may have told Jen that. I'd guess they heard some stuff about SS from Maddie that bothered them.)

SS & JS-- they're not standing there as a couple which would've supported all the we, we, we statements she later gave in her news interview. He's not touching her at all, not coming across as the partner or stepfather as he later tries to imply. In the news interviews later, she's trying to appear they're a couple, co-parents, and she's rubbing his back and touching him. He doesn't seem to show any closeness or support to her.

MOO thoughts here after seeing how many concerned family members care about Madeline, it is completely strange that Jen had to call SS to drive two hours to help Maddie get to school. She just had a big loving family birthday party. Why'd SS have to be called? She ended up dead by morning.

No, the reasons and the details don't make any sense at all to me. MOO, there is something being hidden, covered up, there was some reason Jen had to tell it that way, but it's not ringing true to me.
I asked the same thing about her having said they made an announcement!!? Who made an announcement at the school if no one was there when she got there?? When was any such announcement made and what was said in it????

Can anyone remember JS saying ONE positive thing about Maddie?

She and SS both insist that Maddie was "happy" but I mean anything positive about her personality? What she liked to do?
Nope. JS may as well have been talking about a pet rock having gone missing instead of her baby imo. Not she didn’t even hold up a photo to the camera of her baby. She didn’t plead for a safe return only wanted her back, whatever that looked like or however she worded that.

So many people found significance in Jen swaying right after the laptop was brought up. So, what's your theory? Can you explain what you think makes her nervous about the laptop that she starts swaying? I don't think she knows SS had dumped the laptop early that morning before the school trip. Do you? Or maybe I don't want to believe JS was involved to that degree.

Watching the latest Court TV panel and all the talk is whether she will and can be charged.
My opinion… JS had just got off the phone with the principal (if my timing is right) and had already spoken with a teacher who confirmed maddie never made it to school. i would think if the laptop was traceable, it would have come up in those conversations? Especially with the principal since JS was with LE and they had decided she didn’t just skip school. Did the principal tell her they can’t track it or can’t find it or it’s not coming up as online ? (ETA: was the wording ambiguous so it led JS to beleive the laptop couldn’t be tracked and then hearing everyone else so certain made it click)

IMO I would think that tracking the laptop would have been discussed and explored by the teacher or principal if it was possible.

Police recovered Soto's backpack and school-issued laptop computer from a dumpster in the Osceola County apartment complex where Sterns lives
Oh! Thank you for sharing that. We were discussing earlier if the second trip to the vape store was to move the backpack to a dumpster closer to the school but this answers it for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3