FL - Mass Shooting at Pulse Nightclub, Orlando 12 June 2016 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tid Bits :

I estimate that the total cost of the Orlando shooting is around $385 to $390 million," Miller says. "To put that in context, on that same day, the cost of other gunshot wounds in the U.S. was probably about $600 million.

What's not included in Miller's $385 million estimate is the cost of mental health counseling for people who were in the club but not physically shot – and friends and family of those there.

hospital expects unreimbursed costs of more than $5 million.

Pulse survivor dances for first time after being shot six times
Scroll down !

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/pulse-orlando-nightclub-shooting/survivors/os-angel-colon-zumba-orlando-20160730-story.html

Orange County Sheriff's deputy estimated 150 shots were fired in the final gunfight between law enforcement and Pulse nightclub gunman Omar Mateen.

As Deputy Jason Fenderson entered the club, he was told to find anyone "who may have a chance of survival" and get them out, he wrote in his incident report. He wrote that he tried to spot the survivors, but it was difficult. "The floor was covered in blood and it was difficult to tell" who was who, he wrote.

Eight doctors from Orlando Regional Medical Center were honored Saturday with awards for their service for treating Pulse nightclub victims.

Chief John Mina has asked the U.S. Department of Justice for help finding a group to assess the Orlando Police Department’s response to the Pulse nightclub shooting. In an interview with the Sentinel on Friday, Mina said he made the decision after talking with other chiefs around the nation

Orlando Police Department unveils Pulse memorial vehicle cnat find a pic??

The first mention of explosives in Sheriff's Office dispatch records was at 2:51a.m, IMO this has revelance in looking back ..................One minute later deputies got word from OPD that the shooter was in the bathroom, possibly "wearing a bomb."

Before Pulse was founded, 1912 South Orange Avenue was home to the Sarasota Herald Company, a daily newspaper in the 1930s.[SUP][10][/SUP] In 1985, it was Lorenzo's, a pizza restaurant.[SUP][11][/SUP] By 1999, it was called Dante's, a bar with live music.[SUP][12][/SUP] Dante's closed in January 2003.[SUP][13]

[/SUP]Founded by Barbara Poma and Ron Legler, Pulse opened on July 2, 2004.[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP] Poma's brother John died in 1991 from AIDS, and the club is "named for John's pulse to live on",

"Being raised in a strict Italian family, being gay was frowned upon. However, when John came out to his family and friends, the family dynamic transitioned from a culture of strict tradition to one of acceptance and love," the club's website says of Poma's brother. "It was important to create an atmosphere that embraced the gay lifestyle with décor that would make John proud.

Perhaps the most prominent previous attack on a gay club, sometimes called "the deadliest attack on LGBT people in US history," occurred in 1973,

Interview with police cheif July 7

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ting-mina-has-not-entered-20160712-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...lse-orange-county-reports-20160729-story.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...527/the-costs-of-the-pulse-nightclub-shooting

Ty for your kind post. your post resulted in a tear, a good thing....................................Interesting that you mentioned the texts - they impacted me greatly as they came out as well.

The site IS going to be turned into a memorial - was so pissed when I came back, from the memorials that day -every single pic I took was blurry- to the point that all you could see were a lot of colors. I really wanted those pics, like you said , for later.

No idea why camera did that. Every single one.

rbbm.

The reason all of your pics.appeared blurred, imo, is because they were taken through a prism of tears.
Those photos reveal the emotion of the viewer, thus they are the ones with the greatest clarity.
imo.

rbbm.

The reason all of your pics.appeared blurred, imo, is because they were taken through a prism of tears.
Those photos reveal the emotion of the viewer, thus they are the ones with the greatest clarity.
imo.

WOW, I never thought of that dotr! WOW!

And.....Ones who I am :praying: for.......

:rose:

To the owners of Pulse

May you lift yourself up from this tragedy and continue to stand up for others as you always have

Latest release of police reports...

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...7/21/pulse_deputy_body_cam_video_reports.html

Some stuff that was new to me ....you all may have gotten!!

first call went out as officer shot and no response on his radio

not aware that there were deceased in front of the bar

there was folks in the outside patio...had lots of trouble fleeing from that area

23 officers were in and out

sanford airport police were on scene ( about 40 minutes away)

body cams can be turned off or on - IMO dumb - manipulating the public ..tech is here to have them running and recording over .........more than one report noted not having a body cam or a cam in their cars

The shooter at ORMC was apparently a friend of a victim, who was confronted by hospital security guard and began running around the hospital

August 4, 2016
7:53 AM ET

Orlando Mayor Wants Pulse Nightclub as Permanent Memorial After Shooting

The Orlando nightclub where 49 people were massacred in the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history should be a preserved as a place to honor their lives, the city's mayor says.

In a local radio interview that aired Wednesday, Mayor Buddy Dyer said the city should purchase the site, "then make some determination, with a lot of input, on what a permanent memorial might look like."

"I think we need to determine some period of time that we leave it exactly as is with some adequate fencing," Dyer told WMFE, "because there will be people that want to travel here to see it as it exists."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/or...lub-permanent-memorial-after-shooting-n622751

Orlando Sentinel closed tab!

Dr. Nicholas Sakis' silver 2004 G35 Infiniti, which became a moving memorial for the Pulse nightclub shooting,

Sakis got married on June 4 and was supposed to be on his honeymoon. But he had canceled it when he discovered he had to move to California for a new residency that was to begin in July. So on the morning of the massacre, he was one of the first five surgeons at ORMC to help the injured victims.

"I truly believe that there was a reason that I wasn't supposed to be on vacation and I was able to be there and I was able to provide care for these patients," said Sakis, 30. "That's how when I look back on it, it allows me to think, this was all for a reason."

550x309

Good draped the car with Orlando's skyline, the Pulse logo, the na
550x309
mes of the 49 shooting victims and the hashtag #OrlandoStrong.
5762f8b925672.image.jpg

Td7A7kdvuvFGo49BPucADxo6NoGtJtlkDDeTb7h6WdoHP3401DxKaNbTft6fhjn6yHtY59wP5kYYFz6CBxx2RR6c9gMY3dodvqZdTbAfh3wrlnu7OBXnIHVEAPejX5g1iHzwfSvuJ/zvGsKxo3eTGm/HhF9seBcEaiVnFYgkcHGSIwNEEfeMeVjGodnXgBZDlncSNRHQwBXfG3LBiQDRFUKO4EUlln5NEnk9R7n5Pfk9 5xqIGPocbjLe5A/H

screen_shot_2016-07-13_at_3.51.07_pm.png

August 5, 2016
5:59 PM EDT

Orlando Gunman Omar Mateen Was Shot Eight Times: Autopsy Report

Omar Mateen, the gunman who opened fire on a gay nightclub in Orlando and took hostages in a June attack that killed 49 people, was shot eight times by police and was not drunk at the time of the rampage, according to an autopsy report released Friday.

Mateen, 29, was killed in a shootout with police. He was shot in the head, twice in the right chest, once in the abdomen, the right calf, and three times in the right foot, the autopsy report released by the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office said.

The autopsy found no trace of alcohol in Mateen's system. Mateen's ex-wife has said he had a history of with steroids and was abusive. The autopsy report said Mateen's testosterone levels were normal.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...ht-times-autopsy-report-n623981?client=safari

was hit multiple times.
Many of the autopsies revealed commonalities: most of the victims were not shot at close range and many were hit from the front or side, appearing as though they didn't have much time to react and run. Bullets hit them in nearly every possible place, including the head, chest, legs and back.

13 times, as one of the victims was

30-year-old victim being shot only once, but the velocity from the high-powered weapon caused the bullet to travel through his neck.
Another report for a 20-year-old man does not explicitly say he bled to death, but Dr. Marie Hansen, the pathologist who conducted his autopsy, suggested that his wound led to severe blood loss.
The other 19 autopsies are expected next week and will help show what happened inside the club as investigators continue to piece together details.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-shooting-autopsy-reports-20160805-story.html

was hit multiple times.
Many of the autopsies revealed commonalities: most of the victims were not shot at close range and many were hit from the front or side, appearing as though they didn't have much time to react and run. Bullets hit them in nearly every possible place, including the head, chest, legs and back.

13 times, as one of the victims was

30-year-old victim being shot only once, but the velocity from the high-powered weapon caused the bullet to travel through his neck.
Another report for a 20-year-old man does not explicitly say he bled to death, but Dr. Marie Hansen, the pathologist who conducted his autopsy, suggested that his wound led to severe blood loss.
The other 19 autopsies are expected next week and will help show what happened inside the club as investigators continue to piece together details.

administrator of the OneOrlando Fund on Thursday warned families of those killed in the Pulse nightclub shootings that deciding who will get a compensation check — domestic partners, spouses or parents — could get "complicated" if they start to squabble.
"We're not the ones to decide that," fund administrator Ken Feinberg — a national expert on compensating victims of mass tragedies — t."
Feinberg's remarks came at the first of two meetings held at the Amway Center on Thursday to explain the process of dividing up the money donated to the OneOrlando Fund, at $23 million, r.
The meetings drew several hundred attendees,

money would go only to four categories: the families of those killed, those hospitalized with physical injuries, those treated and released for physical injuries and those who were in the club when the shooting began but "by the grace of God managed to get out" without physical injury.

"Victims and their families are left with a new reality and a multitude of needs, from long-term mental-health counseling, the rehabilitation of homes and vehicles to better accommodate the victims … and even victims who must find new jobs or careers because they have difficulty returning to their former jobs," Dyer said.
largest sums to the families of the 49 people killed in the June 12 shootings, and increasingly smaller amounts to individuals who were hospitalized, those treated as outpatients and people who were in the club at the time of the attack but escaped physical injury.
Claimants will have to provide law-enforcement or hospital records in an effort to prevent fraud, officials said.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rlando-fund-board-members-20160701-story.htmlOneOrlando Fund sets Oct. 1 target to distributeFunds for other mass tragedies have ranged from $5 million for the victims of the 2012 Aurora, Colo., theater shootings to $61 million for those killed and wounded in the 2013 Boston Marathon
T

moneyThe fund's main administrator, Kenneth Feinberg — — previously led the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, the BP Dee..pwater Horizon Disaster Victim Compensation Fund and One Fund Boston.

The fund administrators also set a Sept. 12 deadline for filing claims. The claim forms will be available starting Aug. 11 in both English and Spanish on the OneOrlando.org website,
Feinberg warned the prominent community members who've been tapped to serve on the OneOrlando Fund board of directors — — that they should not expect any compensation, reimbursement or even gratitude.
"Do not expect any appreciation. It will not happen," he said. "We are dealing with very vulnerable citizens who have been the victims of a tragedy that they had no idea was coming............. we have learned over the years that the best you can hope for is silence as people accept whatever financial help they can receive."
warned them to "brace themselves" for the emotional trauma that comes with the work.
"Money is a pretty poor substitute for loss that changes people's lives," he said. "It is a very sorrowful undertaking."
Family members and survivors can request a one-on-one meeting w
The families of the 49 killed will all get the same amount of money,
The injured will likely receive varying amounts, potentially based on how long they were hospitalized.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-shooting-autopsy-reports-20160805-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/pulse-orlando-nightclub-shooting/os-how-one-orlando-fund-will-be-spent-20160714-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...together-fund-pulse-grant-20160805-story.html

“Police shot Orlando nightclub gunman Omar Mateen eight times, an autopsy report released Friday reveals.

The 29-year-old gunman’s system was free of illegal drugs and alcohol the night of the June 12 mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub, according to the report by the Orlando County medical examiner’s office. But anabolic steroids were detected in his urine.”

“Police shot Orlando nightclub gunman Omar Mateen eight times, an autopsy report released Friday reveals.

The 29-year-old gunman’s system was free of illegal drugs and alcohol the night of the June 12 mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub, according to the report by the Orlando County medical examiner’s office. But anabolic steroids were detected in his urine.”

Individuals who abuse steroids can experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking steroids, such as mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, reduced sex drive, and steroid cravings. The most dangerous of the withdrawal symptoms is depression, because it sometimes leads to suicide attempts.

abusers may become addicted to the drugs, as evidenced by their continued abuse despite physical problems and negative effects on social relations.

symptoms associated with anabolic steroid withdrawal have been known to persist for a year or more after the abuser stops taking the drugs.

Throw in bipolar decomping and you have a Pulse tradegy- not a terrorist imo

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...702&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=steroid addiction

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...steroid-abuse/are-anabolic-steroids-addictive

Latest release of police reports...

http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...7/21/pulse_deputy_body_cam_video_reports.html

Some stuff that was new to me ....you all may have gotten!!
first call went out as officer shot and no response on his radio
not aware that there were deceased in front of the bar
there was folks in the outside patio...had lots of trouble fleeing from that area
23 officers were in and out
sanford airport police were on scene ( about 40 minutes away)
body cams can be turned off or on - IMO dumb - manipulating the public ..tech is here to have them running and recording over .........more than one report noted not having a body cam or a cam in their cars
The shooter at ORMC was apparently a friend of a victim, who was confronted by hospital security guard and began running around the hospital

Thanks Cariis, especially for raising a couple of points. I didn't know that body cams could be turned on and off at the discretion of the person wearing them. I tend to agree with you that it can lead to incomplete records of events which could make it easier for evidence to be manipulated, and that can have damning consequences. It seems to me that this runs against the logic of installing that technology in the first place. And that goes for all sides of a case--the prosecution, the defence, the accused, the primary and secondary victims, and the general public.

The other point you raised that caught my eye was the detail that people in the outdoor patio had trouble fleeing. This could be because of structural details, lack of cover, and so on. However, it reminded me of a list of tips for travellers in an age of terrorism which I had read a few months back. It struck me that ideas such as always checking for exits to any room or always carrying a flashlight or making sure your cell phone is loaded with local emergency numbers might be easily forgotten when the intent is to go to a familiar club for a relaxing evening with friends.
https://www.hoytlivery.com/traveling-safer-in-the-age-of-terrorism/

Sadly, the last piece of advice in the article I read seems to now be as important when traveling a few blocks from home as when travelling across continents.

Lie flat on the floor and behind any solid object that might protect you from gunfire. Stay put until the danger passes. If you have to move, move on your stomach. When it’s safe to get up, leave the area right away.

The 49 victims of the Orlando nightclub massacre died after being hit by more than 200 gunshot wounds between them, autopsy reports revealed.

Almost two months after a gunman opened fire in Pulse nightclub on June 12, the autopsy reports for all of the victims who died in the attack have been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ando-club-massacre-died-shot-200-bullets.html

May all the victims of this terrible tragedy Rest. In. Peace.

, all but two suffering multiple gunshot wounds, officials said. One man was shot 10 times and another 13, according to the examinations.

The autopsies do not indicate if any of the victims were accidentally shot by law enforcement on June 12, ( IMO BS) or if anyone died as police negotiated with Mateen for three hours.

more from Greggs link

However, it is not clear if – or how many – of these bullets hit more than one person

Collectively, the dead and survivors had a collective 260 bullets fired at them.

Another man died while his wounds were being treated in the parking lot outside the club after being shot in the head

The autopsy also showed that most of the bullets that hit Mateen came from in front of him, but that two were fired from behind and struck him in the leg and foot.[FONT=&amp] head, chest, abdomen, calf, feet, and toe, the autopsy report revealed.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]His body was marred with several lacerations, as well as 'blunt-force injuries' such as bruising and scapes to his torso," [/FONT]

Though law enforcement officials earlier said Mateen was likely a long-term user of steroids,.. toxicology report released Friday showed his hormone levels below normal levels of abuse.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/08/08/autopsies-victims-pulse-nightclub-shooting/88431710/

20 victims hit in head

[FONT=&amp]The 200 bullets fired by Mateen does not include the 53 people who were wounded but survived the attack.

[/FONT]
Seddique Mateen spotted directly behind Hillary Clinton in
Kissimmee, FL

[FONT=&amp]police fired nearly 150 bullets at Mateen

[/FONT]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lub-massacre-shot-200-times-article-1.2743400

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/201...s-released-31-victims-and-shooter-omar-mateen

Have not been able to find the autopsies - so when they say released I dont know what that means?

I would be curious if the two that were excessivly shot looked similiar, close in age, hariicut, physical build etc - was there a reason why two were shot so many times?? In his mind??

Click Orlando - the autopsies were actually all completed three days after.Updated: 2:33 AM, July 29, 2016 Some officers still unable to return to work

More from cops:

"I tried to open the door but I felt something pulling back on it, holding it closed," Ragsdale wrote. "I announced that I was the Orlando Police Department and the door open[ed] freely. Once the door opened victims started running out."

"I remember [feeling] hands grab my ankles as I walked by the victims as they were asking for help," Ragsdale wrote.

"By 0235hrs all of the surviving injured that were in the bar and dance floor area were removed," he wrote.

Sgt. Noelia Pina had just parked near the club when she saw people banging on the doors at Orlando Fire Department's Station 5, the closest station to the club, she wrote.

Two officers "transported two victims in their patrol cars as we were not getting any response from OFD," she wrote. "I got on a different radio channel and requested headquarters call the fire station and request assistance. Sometime later the door opened

[FONT=&amp] did not know where the shooter was, and in the chaos some of the patrons tried to run back inside,

[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member