Resolved FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only dog or animal I could think of with a black eye is Spuds Mackenzie...

Classito

But Spuds had big pointy ears. She was a bull terrier.

Other than the ears, though, it's a good possibility. Spuds was a thing from 1987 to around 1989-90.

Here's an article with pictures for those of you not old enough to remember:
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=56228

Here is one with his ears more rounded...But spuds always wore a shirt or had a beer I think....
SPUDS_Mackenzie_Dog_BUD_Light_Beer_Sign_Tin_Vintage_20_yea.jpg

Classito

I don't think it's spuds because the dog on the shirt has black ears and feet. Also, if you look close on the shirt, the dog has a pointy tail. Most definitely it's a dog, it's possible it is for something else, perhaps a local business no longer opened, just a random picture on a kids shirt, we may never know

Thanks for your efforts. I undertook somewhat of the same effort a while back (HERE) Your post reminded me of it and I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of adjusting your image to show what I found.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 68922
It's very faint, but if you look closely, it appears as if this animal has a tail, it looks like its holding a bone or a newspaper which implies it's a dog, the ears are just short floppy ears

The only dog or animal I could think of with a black eye is Spuds Mackenzie...

Classito
I think the dog from the little rascals had a black eye, but I don't remember that being popular in the 80s. The movie came out years after this photo.

Trying to remember 80s cartoons that had dogs with a black eye and can't think of any. I remember many cartoon dogs, just not any with a black eye.

This photo haunts me. So sad for these kids.

I think the dog from the little rascals had a black eye, but I don't remember that being popular in the 80s. The movie came out years after this photo.

Trying to remember 80s cartoons that had dogs with a black eye and can't think of any. I remember many cartoon dogs, just not any with a black eye.

This photo haunts me. So sad for these kids.

Peetie from the Little Rascals had a ring around his eye, not a solid spot.

This is what leads me to believe this shirt came from a local shop, local to where I don't know, but at beach shops you can buy shirts with logos that aren't necessarily from something like a show, it could just be a dog with a black spot on it's eye and the back of the shirt could say Charleston, sc...

Here is what the image looks like before it was rotated...
Bear-Dog.jpg

With the rotated view we are seeing the ear and eye in a different area..What is being called a arm looks like an ear when looking at the actual photo...In the regular view...the black eye is on the other side and we do not see if the second eye is the same or not...I think we lost perspective by rotating a flat image...this is why we are thinking we are seeing a black or patched eye and are having so much trouble identifying the character

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Unidentified_kidnapping_victims_1989.jpg

Classito

I'm confused, about the above statement, is the photo being shown the rotated view? It looks like what was being called an arm is a bone or newspaper in his mouth

The one that looks like it has an arm (newspaper or bone) is the photo rotated...Here is a side by side..first one is original..second rotated...The first one looks like the large eye is on the left and you cannot see the other eye on the right...

Bear-Dog original view.jpgBear-Dog rotated view.jpg

Classito

It took me a moment because either way I saw the same thing, but after looking at it for some time I see what you are suggesting.

Here is what the image looks like before it was rotated...
View attachment 69340

With the rotated view we are seeing the ear and eye in a different area..What is being called a arm looks like an ear when looking at the actual photo...In the regular view...the black eye is on the other side and we do not see if the second eye is the same or not...I think we lost perspective by rotating a flat image...this is why we are thinking we are seeing a black or patched eye and are having so much trouble identifying the character

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Unidentified_kidnapping_victims_1989.jpg

Classito

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The boy is lying almost horizontally, so you would have to rotate the figure to see it the way it was originally, right?
I agree with tricket that this figure is unlikely to be some famous cartoon character, and I am inclined to believe that the shirt originated from some local zoo, petstore or whatever. I wonder if the police has been able to identify the shirt, like they apparently did with the girl's tee. On Reddit, an manager from Egghead Software said that the police had asked her back in 1989 to check if anyone in her store could identify the persons in the polaroid, since the police believed that the girl in the polaroid was wearing a Egghead shirt.

Maybe it is just me, but on the boy's shirt, that black circle/dot appears to be a nose, not a single eye.

May just be me...But I lose perspective on the image when it is rotated...In my opinion the shirt does not belong to the boy..

Classito

Sometime tomorrow I am going to draw and post both possible perspectives for the dog

I think possibly the big black spot is the nose, and the dog still has something in his mouth. In this perspective the dogs head is more rounded

Sorry for so many posts, but I really am starting to think koala instead of dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members