FL FL - Rose Marie Gayhart, 23, Cape Coral, 14 Mar 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something weird -- in the first police report from Lee County in May 1985, when the officer first made contact with Bob Paddock, he said he'd already been contacted by the FBI about Rose's whereabouts. That's strange, because as far as I know, the FBI wasn't contacted until 1989, when the Livingston County, NY officer got mad at the local Florida lawmen for dropping the ball on Rose, and called the FBI to get involved in the case (and to try to light a fire under the folks down in Florida to do their job). And, in 1989, the FBI refused to get involved. So...WHO called Bobby in 1985, pretending to be FBI? Or did Bobby just make that up (but why would he??)

Yes...the man in the red pickup truck. In her letter, Dorothy Rittenhouse said that when she went over to Jim's Bar after buying the bus ticket on Sunday, March 17, to confront Rose and try to get her to go back home, that Rose left with a man in a red truck, and "no one knew who he was." That was several days before Mr. Graupe said he saw Rose leaving with a guy in a red pickup truck from his restaurant on March 21. And then Bobby said that he had gone down to the restaurant to see Rose, and was told that she'd left with a guy in a red pickup truck. Not sure if Graupe told him that or another employee. At any rate, unless Mr. Graupe was in cahoots with Bobby and his mother, there must have really been a guy in a red pickup.

Rose seemed to have a pattern of making poor choices in men (father of first child in prison, next guy killed her baby, etc.). Did she hook up with this guy in the red pickup in desperation after walking out of the trailer park?

Another thought -- Dorothy went down the Jim's Bar on old 41 to confront Rose after (several days) she kicked Rose out of the trailer. Jim's Bar (Pub) is still open on old 41 (Tamiami Trail). It's only a 10 minute walk from the trailer park on Barron. It must have been a place where Rose (and probably Dorothy and Bobby) hung out. That's most likely where Rose went, when she walked out of the trailer park with her suitcase in hand. Maybe she hooked up with the red pickup guy that night (he apparently was not from those parts, if no one knew who he was).

However, if Dorothy went down there to find her after buying the bus ticket on the 17th, it's interesting that Rose was at the bar that day. It hints to me that Rose had not yet reconciled with Bobby, because his new apartment was 10 miles away in Cape Coral -- too far to walk (or maybe Bobby hadn't yet moved out of the trailer to the apartment). So...Rose must have either been staying with someone who lived nearby, and/or staying with the guy in the red pickup. But then it seems she at least temporarily reconciled with Bobby, since she at least partially moved in with him, gave his apt. as her residence on her job application, and found a job near his apartment.

But, perhaps they had another fight, and she took off with the red pickup guy again.

Dorothy must have been the 2nd person that the officer in the video was referring to. I hadn't gotten that out of her letter before. Great catch. But I do question how dependable her word is. Notice she said first she picked up the ticket Sunday morning then she mentioned that Rose was in there with 3 guys after she babbles about how horrible she thinks Rose is she goes back to the fact that she left with a guy in a red pick up and nobody knows him. Was he in the bar or waiting in the parking lot? He had to have been seen by how many people ig in the bar & nobody else says they saw her leave with him? Knows his name or a physical description? But if true-this was possibly the 17th if we think it's the day of the ticket purchase -this red pick guy would have been around for a few days-nobody else saw him? I doubt it. I think that nobody was asked.

Something weird -- in the first police report from Lee County in May 1985, when the officer first made contact with Bob Paddock, he said he'd already been contacted by the FBI about Rose's whereabouts. That's strange, because as far as I know, the FBI wasn't contacted until 1989, when the Livingston County, NY officer got mad at the local Florida lawmen for dropping the ball on Rose, and called the FBI to get involved in the case (and to try to light a fire under the folks down in Florida to do their job). And, in 1989, the FBI refused to get involved. So...WHO called Bobby in 1985, pretending to be FBI? Or did Bobby just make that up (but why would he??)

Which is a good question-was he really called that early or if you remember that the report (which is actually Cape Coral PD) was written January 16th, 1989-did CCPD just summarize since there isn't really any dates on when they did anything.

ETA- I went back to the additional LCSO notes. They didn't even mention contacting the FBI until 3/8/89. I think the CCPD notes started as a summary of 1985 events and they just added their continued investigation onto it...without dates of course....helpful. I could be wrong but that is what this seems to be. I will make sure to point this out to LCSO and get their opinion on it.

Here is an update to the question list. I have added changes in BOLD so you can update yourself easily. If you have anything you want to add please let me know. I will forward this update to the Investigators.

1) What if anything did Rose say in her call to her family on 3/14 about the argument in the trailor on 3/12 or 3/13 when she was kicked out? I would think if she was pregnant may have kept that to herself if she wasn't sure what she was going to do, but if she had a huge fight with Bobby & his mother she likely may have mentioned it.

2) Did anyone other than Howard Graupe see Rose get into the Red Pickup? Per her letter Dorothy did. Did either give a description of the man? Make, Model of the truck?

3) If there are ties to Bobby in NY in 5/89 when was he questioned by investigators in FL in May? How long after he was questioned did he leave for NY & why?

4) Dorothy Rittenhouse claimed to see Rose in Jim's bar on Sunday with 3 guys. Did anyone else see Rose or Dorothy in the bar that day?

5) Did LE figure out who the 3 men were from #4 & talk to them? If so, do they own a red pickup or know someone that does?

6) In the same event as #4 Dorothy claims Rose leaves the bar with the man in the Red Pickup. Yet she claimed nobody there knew him. This event it seems is either on the 17th or just after. This person is in the area for a few days yet nobody knows who he is? Even a name?

7) Why did Dorothy want Rose to return to NY? Wasn't it enough that Rose left the trailer?

8) In Dorothy's letter she states that she called Dorothy Gayhart? Was that call received & what was said?

9) Dorothy Rittenhouse mentions the "Jim's Bar" as a place Rose frequented. Was she ever seen there?

10) Why did Dorothy Rittenhouse feel it was necessary to call the sheriff on Rose? This is stated in her letter, yet the report states she went to the substation. Which one is correct & is there a record?

11) Bobby references Rose doing drugs- did anyone else see this? Did anyone else see her drinking or know that she was pregnant?

12) Bobby states that Rose didn't live with him at the apt. Yet Rose used it to apply to Big Howies. Where was Rose staying for over a week then? Where would she normally stay when they were "off" & with who? (He does state that they were on & off. Here he could have meant for that week they were on & off & that she was there part of the time.)

13) If Rose wasn't staying at the apt how did her things get there?

14) Who were Rose's friends at the time?

15) Did anyone visit the clinic? Get her medical records?

16) What was the content of the call to Bobby from the FBI agent? Seems odd that CC would leave this out of their notes. This report was written 1/16/1989 supposedly summarizing what occurred in 1985. Yet the FBI wasn't mentioned by LCSO until 3/8/89?

17) CC states in their notes that Bobby placed additional calls to the Investigator. What were the calls for? Why isn't there any detail on this in the report?

18) Was Bobby really in the National Guard in 1985- was this reserves?

19) Where was Donald Shaver when Rose went missing?

19) Have any of the witnesses been re questioned - Usola Conley, Howard Graupe, Larry Paddock- especially since Bobby returns in the winter to FL. If not, could they be?

Here is an update to the question list. I have added changes in BOLD so you can update yourself easily. If you have anything you want to add please let me know. I will forward this update to the Investigators.

1) What if anything did Rose say in her call to her family on 3/14 about the argument in the trailor on 3/12 or 3/13 when she was kicked out? I would think if she was pregnant may have kept that to herself if she wasn't sure what she was going to do, but if she had a huge fight with Bobby & his mother she likely may have mentioned it.

2) Did anyone other than Howard Graupe see Rose get into the Red Pickup? Per her letter Dorothy did. Did either give a description of the man? Make, Model of the truck?

3) If there are ties to Bobby in NY in 5/89 when was he questioned by investigators in FL in May? How long after he was questioned did he leave for NY & why?

4) Dorothy Rittenhouse claimed to see Rose in Jim's bar on Sunday with 3 guys. Did anyone else see Rose or Dorothy in the bar that day?

5) Did LE figure out who the 3 men were from #4 & talk to them? If so, do they own a red pickup or know someone that does?

6) In the same event as #4 Dorothy claims Rose leaves the bar with the man in the Red Pickup. Yet she claimed nobody there knew him. This event it seems is either on the 17th or just after. This person is in the area for a few days yet nobody knows who he is? Even a name?

7) Why did Dorothy want Rose to return to NY? Wasn't it enough that Rose left the trailer?

8) In Dorothy's letter she states that she called Dorothy Gayhart? Was that call received & what was said?

9) Dorothy Rittenhouse mentions the "Jim's Bar" as a place Rose frequented. Was she ever seen there?

10) Why did Dorothy Rittenhouse feel it was necessary to call the sheriff on Rose? This is stated in her letter, yet the report states she went to the substation. Which one is correct & is there a record?

11) Bobby references Rose doing drugs- did anyone else see this? Did anyone else see her drinking or know that she was pregnant?

12) Bobby states that Rose didn't live with him at the apt. Yet Rose used it to apply to Big Howies. Where was Rose staying for over a week then? Where would she normally stay when they were "off" & with who? (He does state that they were on & off. Here he could have meant for that week they were on & off & that she was there part of the time.)

13) If Rose wasn't staying at the apt how did her things get there?

16) What was the content of the call to Bobby from the FBI agent? Seems odd that CC would leave this out of their notes. This report was written 1/16/1989 supposedly summarizing what occurred in 1985. Yet the FBI wasn't mentioned by LCSO until 3/8/89?

17) CC states in their notes that Bobby placed additional calls to the Investigator. What were the calls for? Why isn't there any detail on this in the report?

18) Was Bobby really in the National Guard in 1985- was this reserves?

19) Have any of the witnesses been re questioned - Usola Conley, Howard Graupe, Larry Paddock- especially since Bobby returns in the winter to FL. If not, could they be?

Donald Shaver was in Jail...I have a article from Newspaper

Donald Shaver was in Jail...I have a article from Newspaper

This is the article that Laurie is referring to. However this is how Donald was originally arrested. We do know he passed about 2 years ago from cancer. Laurie is not aware of when he was released but may be able to find out. In the meantime I have added it to the list of questions above for LE as you can see. I thought this was important to see as part of Rose's history.
unnamed.jpg

Sadly for Rose her son didn't pass from SIDS. He was murdered. This article doesn't detail her time served but she did spend a year in the Albion correctional facility for what they deemed back then as Endangering the welfare of a child.

I assumed SIDS because back then things were very different. Guess I should have asked what happened. I can't even imagine Rose having to do a year of time after tragically losing her 6 month old son like that. Her hormones probably weren't even back to normal yet.

How old was Rose when she had the son that was placed for adoption?

I assumed SIDS because back then things were very different. Guess I should have asked what happened. I can't even imagine Rose having to do a year of time after tragically losing her 6 month old son like that. Her hormones probably weren't even back to normal yet.

How old was Rose when she had the son that was placed for adoption?

she was 20 years old

Dorothy must have been the 2nd person that the officer in the video was referring to. I hadn't gotten that out of her letter before. Great catch. But I do question how dependable her word is. Notice she said first she picked up the ticket Sunday morning then she mentioned that Rose was in there with 3 guys after she babbles about how horrible she thinks Rose is she goes back to the fact that she left with a guy in a red pick up and nobody knows him. Was he in the bar or waiting in the parking lot? He had to have been seen by how many people ig in the bar & nobody else says they saw her leave with him? Knows his name or a physical description? But if true-this was possibly the 17th if we think it's the day of the ticket purchase -this red pick guy would have been around for a few days-nobody else saw him? I doubt it. I think that nobody was asked.

I agree that probably no one was asked. I think there probably really was a red pickup truck -- it would be too much of a coincidence for both Dorothy and the restaurant guy to notice Rose leave with him on 2 separate occasions. However, the only way we know about Jim's Bar and Rose leaving from there is from Dorothy's letter to Rose's parents, and who knows whether they shared that with LE up in Livingston County, NY, and, if they did, whether that got communicated to LE down in Lee County. No mention in any of the police reports about anyone going out to Jim's Bar to question the patrons there on whether the confrontation with Rose actually happened, and whether she left with a guy in a red truck, and whether anyone knew this guy in the red truck. Sounds like they went around and questioned the local hangouts to see if anyone had seen Rose AFTER March 21, but no mention of checking into her actions in the week between getting kicked out of the trailer and the day she went missing.

Which is a good question-was he really called that early or if you remember that the report (which is actually Cape Coral PD) was written January 16th, 1989-did CCPD just summarize since there isn't really any dates on when they did anything.

ETA- I went back to the additional LCSO notes. They didn't even mention contacting the FBI until 3/8/89. I think the CCPD notes started as a summary of 1985 events and they just added their continued investigation onto it...without dates of course....helpful. I could be wrong but that is what this seems to be. I will make sure to point this out to LCSO and get their opinion on it.

That may be...but in the notes it specifically says he contacted Bobby at the Cape Coral address (and apparently Bobby didn't live there long if he were up in NY just a few weeks later). And it's either in that sentence or the very next sentence that he mentions that Bobby said FBI had already contacted him. I need to go back and look at it, because I think there was one officer working on the case (sorta) in 1985, and then another one in 1989?

2) Did anyone other than Howard Graupe see Rose get into the Red Pickup? Per her letter Dorothy did. Did either give a description of the man? Make, Model of the truck? Bobby said he went down to Big Howie's to see Rose, and was told she'd left with a guy in a red pickup. WHO told him? Howard Graupe or someone else?
3) If there are ties to Bobby in NY in 5/89 when was he questioned by investigators in FL in May? How long after he was questioned did he leave for NY & why? Good question -- he had a good job, and had gotten away from his mother and was living in an apartment that was much nicer than the trailer.

7) Why did Dorothy want Rose to return to NY? Wasn't it enough that Rose left the trailer? It sounds to me like the woman didn't want Rose involved with Bobby.

10) Why did Dorothy Rittenhouse feel it was necessary to call the sheriff on Rose? This is stated in her letter, yet the report states she went to the substation. Which one is correct & is there a record?She said she told LE that she didn't want Rose coming back to her trailer - -maybe she was trying to get some sort of restraining order. There SHOULD be a record, but I'll bet those good ole boys never got around to filing it

13) If Rose wasn't staying at the apt how did her things get there? Also, she was seen leaving the trailer park with a SUITCASE. But her clothes at Bobby's apt. were in a paper bag. WHERE did the suitcase end up? Do her parents (or Bobby or the neighbor) remember what it looked like??

17) CC states in their notes that Bobby placed additional calls to the Investigator. What were the calls for? Why isn't there any detail on this in the report?I gathered that he had called with additional info -- like about the clinic.

18) Was Bobby really in the National Guard in 1985- was this reserves? (would a background check show his military record?)

See notes above

That may be...but in the notes it specifically says he contacted Bobby at the Cape Coral address (and apparently Bobby didn't live there long if he were up in NY just a few weeks later). And it's either in that sentence or the very next sentence that he mentions that Bobby said FBI had already contacted him. I need to go back and look at it, because I think there was one officer working on the case (sorta) in 1985, and then another one in 1989?

Agreed-not to mentioned don't know if the address was a true residence of Bobbys or something he used to get mail or gave to a possible employer he was applying to in NY. Could be any number of options really....they also could mean they met with him in 1985 & received phone calls later while he wasn't in FL & they didn't note it. It's terrible to say but their case notes are horrendous.

From the Tapatalk app I can't tell which notes are yours when you add them to my comment?

Oops, sorry, ok, will do it this way:

Question 2: Bobby said he went down to Big Howie's to see Rose, and was told she'd left with a guy in a red pickup. WHO told him? Howard Graupe or someone else?

Question 3: Good question -- he had a good job, and had gotten away from his mother and was living in an apartment that was much nicer than the trailer. And it was Florida versus New York :)

Question 7: It sounds to me like the woman didn't want Rose involved with Bobby at all -- just my opinion.

Question 10: She said she told LE that she didn't want Rose coming back to her trailer - -maybe she was trying to get some sort of restraining order. There SHOULD be a record, but I'll bet those good ole boys never got around to filing it

Question 13) Also, she was seen leaving the trailer park with a SUITCASE. But her clothes at Bobby's apt. were in a paper bag. WHERE did the suitcase end up? Do her parents (or Bobby or the
neighbor) remember what it looked like??

Question 17) I gathered that he (Bobby) had called with additional info -- like about the clinic.

Question 18: The list of items in Rose's filebox include Robert's paystubs from the Army

Agreed-not to mentioned don't know if the address was a true residence of Bobbys or something he used to get mail or gave to a possible employer he was applying to in NY. Could be any number of options really....they also could mean they met with him in 1985 & received phone calls later while he wasn't in FL & they didn't note it. It's terrible to say but their case notes are horrendous.

I so agree and I have been fighting 30 years next month to find answers...it is a mess

I for 30 years have tried to figure all this out..Thank you all for what you are doing..I really Love all of you for taking you time and look at what I never understood all these year....Roses case is like a thriller movie...just saying...what a mess

Oops, sorry, ok, will do it this way:

Question 2: Bobby said he went down to Big Howie's to see Rose, and was told she'd left with a guy in a red pickup. WHO told him? Howard Graupe or someone else?

Question 3: Good question -- he had a good job, and had gotten away from his mother and was living in an apartment that was much nicer than the trailer. And it was Florida versus New York :)

Question 7: It sounds to me like the woman didn't want Rose involved with Bobby at all -- just my opinion.

Question 10: She said she told LE that she didn't want Rose coming back to her trailer - -maybe she was trying to get some sort of restraining order. There SHOULD be a record, but I'll bet those good ole boys never got around to filing it

Question 13) Also, she was seen leaving the trailer park with a SUITCASE. But her clothes at Bobby's apt. were in a paper bag. WHERE did the suitcase end up? Do her parents (or Bobby or the
neighbor) remember what it looked like??

Question 17) I gathered that he (Bobby) had called with additional info -- like about the clinic.

Question 18: The list of items in Rose's filebox include Robert's paystubs from the Army

Thanks Abigail. I was out of the house for a few hours & like to keep tabs on posts when I am following the case. I like the app but somethings just look wonky in it. Especially edits.

2)- I will need to add that for sure, great addition for clarification- maybe there was a 3rd person, or Howard told someone else, we don't know but it is worth asking.
3)- Haha- and we all know FL vs NY? Why did he leave? ;)
7)- Definitely agree, would be my opinion as well, I just wonder if it was asked & what her reason was.
10)-same as above except I wonder by asking if we wouldn't learn more about the dynamics between the 3- had that had other issues like this before. OR was she just documenting this because she wanted to establish she was the "good guy" for when Rose disappeared.
13) EXCELLENT point, That didn't even cross my mind! Someone has that suitcase if Rose stayed somewhere else.
17) Irregardless, being LE, they should have noted the details.
18) Good point. Although I wonder if being part of the NG if they would pay them from separate accts, I don't think that really matters though for what we are looking at.

Thank you Abigail!

I've got several scenarios going around in my head:
1) Dorothy R., out of jealousy/anger that Rose was continuing her involvement with Bobby (and that Bobby moved out of her trailer, which cost her financially, as he was helping with the bills) did away with Rose. Not to mention Rose's pregnancy -- which would tie her to Bobby for life (child support, if not marriage). There was a lot of anger and animosity there. This might explain why she wrote that nasty letter -- getting things set up to look like Rose either returned to NY, or she was involved with some other guy. The problem with this scenario is that I doubt she'd be able to get Rose alone to do the deed. Unless Rose happened to come back to the trailer again to get more stuff (but she'd probably not likely come alone, as she didn't have a car). The other problem would be disposing of the body -- how would a woman over 60 do that on her own? Of course, Rose was a small woman. The other problem is that Rose was last seen with the guy in the red pickup (which of course doesn't mean that they did something together that night, and then went their separate ways).
2) Bobby thought she was two-timing with the guy in the red pickup and killed Rose in a jealous rage. They already had a mercurial relationship, and he was angry about Rose keeping the baby, and also her drinking/drug use (or so he said). This may explain why he left town when the police started asking questions. I would be interested to know if Bobby were ever arrested for domestic violence with any of his wives or girlfriends? However, once again, Rose was last seen with the red pickup guy. Another thing, Bobby seemed to be rather cooperative with the police investigation -- like turning over her clothes and the file box with all her important documents and such. And calling with more info -- like the clinic where Rose had talked about going for the baby. That actually was a good lead, because if she were still alive and still in the area - -she'd have probably gone back there. But...sometimes killers can pretend to be helpful and cooperative to try to throw off suspicion. But...for some reason I don't think it was Bobby.

3) Possibly mother and son acted together. But what would be a joint motive?

4) I think the most likely suspect is the red pickup truck guy. He apparently was either new to town or a drifter. And when I think of drifters, I think of serial killers, and Florida seems to attract more than her fair share. I remember one serial killer escaped from prison and killed an elderly couple in that area -- I remember him being on death row for that crime sometime around 1986, due to be executed (he didn't appeal) -- but I believe the murder had happened some time before. Not sure if I can find data on that or not, and I forgot his name, but if I see it I will remember. I wonder if there were any known serial killers in south Florida at that time known to drive a red pickup?

she was 20 years old

I can't even imagine what she was going through. She had lost her 6 month old son; ended up doing jail; then got pregnant again; had to place her son for adoption.

we have been in contact will her son recently

I'm glad you were able to find each other.

I've got several scenarios going around in my head:
1) Dorothy R., out of jealousy/anger that Rose was continuing her involvement with Bobby (and that Bobby moved out of her trailer, which cost her financially, as he was helping with the bills) did away with Rose. Not to mention Rose's pregnancy -- which would tie her to Bobby for life (child support, if not marriage). There was a lot of anger and animosity there. This might explain why she wrote that nasty letter -- getting things set up to look like Rose either returned to NY, or she was involved with some other guy. The problem with this scenario is that I doubt she'd be able to get Rose alone to do the deed. Unless Rose happened to come back to the trailer again to get more stuff (but she'd probably not likely come alone, as she didn't have a car). The other problem would be disposing of the body -- how would a woman over 60 do that on her own? Of course, Rose was a small woman. The other problem is that Rose was last seen with the guy in the red pickup (which of course doesn't mean that they did something together that night, and then went their separate ways).
2) Bobby thought she was two-timing with the guy in the red pickup and killed Rose in a jealous rage. They already had a mercurial relationship, and he was angry about Rose keeping the baby, and also her drinking/drug use (or so he said). This may explain why he left town when the police started asking questions. I would be interested to know if Bobby were ever arrested for domestic violence with any of his wives or girlfriends? However, once again, Rose was last seen with the red pickup guy. Another thing, Bobby seemed to be rather cooperative with the police investigation -- like turning over her clothes and the file box with all her important documents and such. And calling with more info -- like the clinic where Rose had talked about going for the baby. That actually was a good lead, because if she were still alive and still in the area - -she'd have probably gone back there. But...sometimes killers can pretend to be helpful and cooperative to try to throw off suspicion. But...for some reason I don't think it was Bobby.

3) Possibly mother and son acted together. But what would be a joint motive?

4) I think the most likely suspect is the red pickup truck guy. He apparently was either new to town or a drifter. And when I think of drifters, I think of serial killers, and Florida seems to attract more than her fair share. I remember one serial killer escaped from prison and killed an elderly couple in that area -- I remember him being on death row for that crime sometime around 1986, due to be executed (he didn't appeal) -- but I believe the murder had happened some time before. Not sure if I can find data on that or not, and I forgot his name, but if I see it I will remember. I wonder if there were any known serial killers in south Florida at that time known to drive a red pickup?

BBM
I did a quick google for 1985 serial killers in Fort Myers, Florida; nothing jumped out at me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmb123
Back