FL FL - Rose Marie Gayhart, 23, Cape Coral, 14 Mar 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a heads up on the list of questions noted a few posts back. I did email this to the Investigator in NY on Rose's case. He responded and said that he would do his best to get us answers. I am sure this make take a little while but I am hopefully this will help.

Again, thank you for helping in anyway that you can in finding answers for Rose. :loveyou:

Next month will be 30 years and it has been far too long for Rose and those that love her!

Abigail, thank you for joining us here on Rose's Forum. I will try and answer your questions the best that I can.
1) LCSO is who the missing report was given to. If you read their case notes you can see that their dept is the only one that was pushing any investigation of Rose's disappearce. Cape Coral (where Rose disappeared from) was called by LCSO & other jurisdictions contacted by them. In addition you will see they threatened to call in the Rochester FBI- and it appears a call went into them as well. It is for Rose's best interest that the case stay in NY otherwise IMO it would be at a stand still. OK, just came across the "Questions Abound" article at this sitehttps://rosemariegayhart.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/questions-abound-in-disappearance-of-cape-resident/ It says Rose was reported missing by her parents to the Livingstone Co police on May 22 -- about 2 months after she was last seen in Florida.
2)Can you show me where you see she was last seen with Bob? I may have missed that. I have only ever seen that she was last seen at Big Howies leaving in the red pickup. Now I can't find it -- but maybe I misread
3)There is a list up thread that was created of the belongings sent from CCPD to LCSO of Rose's belongings. I could be wrong but my assumption is that it was taken into custody when CCPD when to see Bobby at his apartment as there is a statement by Bobby about how odd it is that she would leave her things behind. THIS COULD BE INCORRECT.
4) In the reports from CCPD they state that Rose's family reported her missing to LCSO in May of 1985.
see notes above

Abigail- there is a lot more in this thread that the media has never seen. I'm working on getting an Investigative reporter to look at Rose's case & highlight her Anniversary.

OK, I'm going back to reread all the pages, but somehow I've missed the timeline -- is that on this thread??? There also seems to be at least one post that others are commenting on, but can't find the original post.

It was in this article that it says her belongings were found behind the police department -- I suppose that could mean that it was in the evidence room in the back of the department -- but it sure sounds like it turned up mysteriously in the back parking lot or something (that's one issue with journalism -- have to be careful with wording) http://www.dansvilleonline.com/x1528909426/Never-giving-up-hope
In the "Questions Abound" article here https://rosemariegayhart.wordpress.com/category/news-articles/ it says at least some of her belonging (a metal file box) was sitting on the floor behind the detective's desk.

The timeline is post #74 in this thread. :)
Yes Roses belongings were at one time sitting next to a detectives desk...gasp totally understood. I believe once questioned enough it was moved to an evidentiary area. But eventually it was mailed to LCSO in NY.

This woman was found just one month later near Miami and had a scar on her chin.
http://www.fluiddb.com/php/details10.php?case=850
Possible?
I just started looking, and she was the first woman on the list, but will check it out some more.

ETA: looking at Florida currents here http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/atlantic/florida.html
It looks possible for her to have gone into the water on the west coast of the state, and ended up near Miami...I just don't know if it would be possible in less than a month.

I think it would be impossible for a body to enter the Gulf of Mexico in the Fort Meyers area and be found in the Atlantic near Miami, unless it was taken out 50 miles or more offshore. The current nearer the shore on both sides of the state travels north. We did some experiments with notes in bottles thrown off fishing boats when I was a kid, but we only went 20 miles off the coast.

However, all someone would need to do to dispose of a body far enough away to avert attention would be to zip across the state on the Tamiami Trail, and dispose in the Miami area. But it would make more sense to just toss a body into the glades, which are very close to Fort Myers. The body would be eaten by the alligators (or just never found). I think that's probably what happen.

I think it would be impossible for a body to enter the Gulf of Mexico in the Fort Meyers area and be found in the Atlantic near Miami, unless it was taken out 50 miles or more offshore. The current nearer the shore on both sides of the state travels north. We did some experiments with notes in bottles thrown off fishing boats when I was a kid, but we only went 20 miles off the coast.

However, all someone would need to do to dispose of a body far enough away to avert attention would be to zip across the state on the Tamiami Trail, and dispose in the Miami area. But it would make more sense to just toss a body into the glades, which are very close to Fort Myers. The body would be eaten by the alligators (or just never found). I think that's probably what happen.

Check out post 24 in regards to this UID. It's not possible to be Rose. When it comes to Rose were considering any UIDs that are found after her gone missing date since we aren't sure where she could have gone. She could have been anywhere, including all the way up the East coast to NY returning home. We just don't know unfortunately. :/

I am going to start a rough draft. If there is something you want to add please feel free to copy/paste and add to it so that we don't lose what is started. If you think something should be corrected, please feel free to say so!

3.5.85 Rose writes a letter to her sister from 54 Barron Way NE N Fort Myers FL 33903
3.12.85 or 3.13.85 (Per Dorothy Rittenhouse) Rose is kicked out of the trailor. Fight is heard by Usola Conley.
3.14.85 Rose makes contact with her family over the telephone
3.17.85 Ticket is purchased by Bobby's mother Dorothy
3.19.85 Rose gives address at Big Howies of 1310 SE 40 Terr Cape Coral for employment
3.21.85 Rose leaves work on day 3, picked up by a white male in a Red pickup. Seen by Howard Graupe, owner of Big Howies.
5.22.85 Livingston County Sheriff Office in NY calls FL LE in Cape Coral to locate Rose
5.XX.85 Bobby has ties to NY
1.16.89 Cape Coral LE writes out the report of the events that took place 4 YEARS prior.
3.xx.89 LCSO makes contact with Stadelman in Lee County & is unhappy with progress
5.xx.89 LCSO makes contact with Glades County
9.xx.89 LCSO receives reports on Rose's case from FL & has some contact from Lee County.
2002- Dorothy Rittenhouse passed away

1) On 3/14, when Rose called her family -- did she say where she was living at the time? Who with?
2) What sort of ticket did Bobby's mother purchase on 3/17 and for whom? And why?
3) 1310 SE 40th Terrace in Cape Coral is a duplex, built in 1964. Currently for sale, recently remodeled, each side is over 1000 sq feet, and currently rents for $1595; I think in mid-1980's an apartment that size in that sort of neighborhood would run at least $500 or $600 or more -- probably too much for a single gal living on her own She must have been staying with someone. Who???
4) When Rose was living with Howie, was she working? Had she been able to save up any money? Had she made friends in the area?
5) Rose's new job at Big Howie's Hot Dog restaurant at SE 47th Terrace was just 1.5 miles from the apartment at 1310 SE 40th Terrace in Cape Coral. Close enough to walk, or bike, or easily get a ride to and from. Sounds as if after the fight with Bobby, she must have moved into the apartment at 40th Terrace and gotten a job.
6) Did Howard Graupe give any sort of description of the white male in the red pickup that he said picked up Rose on 3/21?

This is a letter that Rose wrote to her sister. It also includes the post marked envelope.

ac71c3f41c16cfebec0a02b89d973cd3.jpg

d3dd29dafa5b4407972a13d7f51c8ca0.jpg

170532e2121d441ffbe194148e38caa4.jpg

ce88ce394ff21ffff129c0e53a9d46aa.jpg

Oh my, when Rose wrote this letter, her sister lived just 2 miles from where I live now -- small world. OK, from this letter Rose sent on 3/5, it sounds like things are going fairly well in the relationship -- they're thinking of buying a house together, they want to get away from Bobby's mother (hints of mental illness? or just normal young people NOT wanting to live in a tiny trailer with mother), they're trying to get Rose's sister and husband down to Florida to live and work with Bobby.

Rose sounds a little lonely -- doesn't mention other friends down there, missed hearing from other sisters. One comment about Bobby not wanting her to go up to NY for a visit in June (when he'd be away for Natl Guard duty) makes me wonder if he was controlling or jealous or insecure.

She mentions making a bank deposit -- her money, I wonder??

She mentions Bobby being away the coming weekend for National Guard duty -- she'd be all alone. If the big fight was on 3/11, that would have been probably at the beginning of the next week -- just after the weekend when Bobby was away. Did he suspect her of taking up with someone else while he was gone?

1) On 3/14, when Rose called her family -- did she say where she was living at the time? Who with?
2) What sort of ticket did Bobby's mother purchase on 3/17 and for whom? And why?
3) 1310 SE 40th Terrace in Cape Coral is a duplex, built in 1964. Currently for sale, recently remodeled, each side is over 1000 sq feet, and currently rents for $1595; I think in mid-1980's an apartment that size in that sort of neighborhood would run at least $500 or $600 or more -- probably too much for a single gal living on her own She must have been staying with someone. Who???
4) When Rose was living with Howie, was she working? Had she been able to save up any money? Had she made friends in the area?
5) Rose's new job at Big Howie's Hot Dog restaurant at SE 47th Terrace was just 1.5 miles from the apartment at 1310 SE 40th Terrace in Cape Coral. Close enough to walk, or bike, or easily get a ride to and from. Sounds as if after the fight with Bobby, she must have moved into the apartment at 40th Terrace and gotten a job.
6) Did Howard Graupe give any sort of description of the white male in the red pickup that he said picked up Rose on 3/21?

1) This (or something similar to it) is on the list of questions sent to LCSO. We're hoping to hear more about this soon.
2) The ticket purchased by Bobbys mom was for Rose. Wanted her to return to NY. I believe it was a Trailways bus ticket. If you look at the letter from her to Roses mom you will see a copy of it with all the stops in between.
3) There's also a question about this as well on the list. From the info in CCPDs report it sounds like Rose was not staying w Bobby or at his mothers.
4) I think you mean Bobby here & not Howie? Before being kicked out of the trailer Bobbys mom stated Rose was babysitting. In the reports earlier in the thread you'll see they believed that Rose worked in an air conditioning co & a place called B&D(could be the same I guess) I'm not sure if there are others.
There should also be a question that was sent to LE about who Rose was friends w at the time & were they questioned.
5) See #3
6) great question, all I've ever seen is "white male" not helpful right?

I must either have a severe case of Alzheimers or wandered into another thread (that would explain a lot), because I'm now finding all the helpful info on page 2 that I thought I'd read but didn't. :blushing:

OK, found where I read that Rose was last seen in company of her boyfriend -- it's on the poster on post 3 titled "Foul Play Suspected." However, probably not accurate. This poster also says that boyfriend was born 1945, which (if accurate) would make him age 40 when she was only 23. Age 40 and living with mother??

I think now what be a good time for investigators to have another talk with Bobby.

OK, found where I read that Rose was last seen in company of her boyfriend -- it's on the poster on post 3 titled "Foul Play Suspected." However, probably not accurate. This poster also says that boyfriend was born 1945, which (if accurate) would make him age 40 when she was only 23. Age 40 and living with mother??

His DOB is accurate.

As for that statement I'll have to clarify that. I do wonder if that wasn't purposely stated by LE. If you read the entire paragraph it reads as a poster theyd use in NY & if he was local maybe they were trying to get his attention? This is all just assumption on my part. Maybe watching too much Criminal Minds? ;)

I think now what be a good time for investigators to have another talk with Bobby.

Agreed. This would also be a good time for media in FL to start covering her 30th Anniversary while he's in the area for the winter.

Agreed. This would also be a good time for media in FL to start covering her 30th Anniversary while he's in the area for the winter.

Not to mention hoping for new leads as well

Ok to clarify-first I updated my last post.
Dorothy passed in 2002 in N Ft Myers.

Now as for Bobby we have information that places him back in NY in Dansville where Rose grew up in May of 1985. He stayed in that local area (Rochester suburbs, NY) since. He has spent winters in FL but I haven't seen anything specific to to say what years, starting when or for how long.

Been wanting to post this for a few days; have not had a chance because I've had my grandson. He likes to try to grab my keyboard & mouse...

Anyway; Rose said he had a carpet cleaning job; he was also in the guard? Did I read right that he was 40 yrs old? I know nothing about the military due to parents coming to the US in the late 50's from Hungary; have never dated anyone in the service either. Can someone be 40 and be in the guard? How did he go back to NY right after? He was scheduled to do guard according to Rose

I had thought the pregnancy was confirmed by Rose to her family; I can see it was not. I have to wonder why she wouldn't tell her sister either on the phone or in the letter? Surely we all can see that her one sister was all she had.

Also; how many children had Rose had? I see one passed away (my heart breaks for her; I know she would not just leave his things there & it breaks my heart that LE continue to hold it to this day). Her Charley project says she gave a child to adoption.

I remember the stationary she used. Not sure if I had it or one of my siblings. Rose actually looks like the youngest. She had the same glasses

Been wanting to post this for a few days; have not had a chance because I've had my grandson. He likes to try to grab my keyboard & mouse...

Anyway; Rose said he had a carpet cleaning job; he was also in the guard? Did I read right that he was 40 yrs old? I know nothing about the military due to parents coming to the US in the late 50's from Hungary; have never dated anyone in the service either. Can someone be 40 and be in the guard? How did he go back to NY right after? He was scheduled to do guard according to Rose

I had thought the pregnancy was confirmed by Rose to her family; I can see it was not. I have to wonder why she wouldn't tell her sister either on the phone or in the letter? Surely we all can see that her one sister was all she had.

Also; how many children had Rose had? I see one passed away (my heart breaks for her; I know she would not just leave his things there & it breaks my heart that LE continue to hold it to this day). Her Charley project says she gave a child to adoption.

I remember the stationary she used. Not sure if I had it or one of my siblings. Rose actually looks like the youngest. She had the same glasses

Thanks for your post Roselvr! From the information that I have seen Bob was born in 1945, so he was 40 then. I do agree it would be odd that Bob could up and skip his duties on the NG. Great question! I do know that there are some branches of service that you only put in a certain amount of time per year and you are kept on reserve. But I don't know that this is the case with Bob, I will add this to the list of things to clarify.

As for the pregnancy, I do have it in the list of questions to ask LCSO if we know what was stated in the 3/14 call to family. Maybe Laurie can answer that for us? I can see how she may not have known on 3/5 if she was pregnant but she clearly knew on 3/14.

I believe the pregnancy would have resulted in Rose's 3rd child- I am NOT positive so I will discuss this and the questions around it with Laurie before answering/commenting further. But I will get back to you on it.

I am pretty sure that we used that same stationary in school for writing stories on. :(

Snipped by me.

Here are a few more details.

Rose was the 2nd oldest of 6 kids. Laurie was younger than Rose. She was 1 of 3 from the same parents with 3 younger from another Father.

Rose had 2 children, Rose came home to an unresponsive child & back then she was left at fault & given a year in jail. She was living with Kevin Burns at the time. Burns passed away back in the 80's Laurie thinks. After that Rose's parents convinced her to give up her other child without discussing other options with their family.

ETA: After talking to Laurie we aren't sure if Rose did tell her mother about the baby. But when she called on 3/14 talk in the family is that Rose's mother told her she had made her bed & needed to lie in it. We aren't positive if that in fact did happen or if it did what Rose told her. IE about the baby, about getting kicked out, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back