FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

I agree completely. This may be one of the rare cases where a perpetrator turns out to actually be considerably more of a menace than I initially estimated.

Out of curiosity, I'm now wondering how does a person who is non-compliant with any form of professional and unworkable with in general get their right to a legal defence in a serious crime case? I'm sure there must be plenty of perpetrators who simply refuse to discuss their case, what becomes of them?

Out of curiosity, I'm now wondering how does a person who is non-compliant with any form of professional and unworkable with in general get their right to a legal defence in a serious crime case? I'm sure there must be plenty of perpetrators who simply refuse to discuss their case, what becomes of them?
It's probably tried as a "no contest" plea and the accused has to sit through the proceeding, once they're evaluated to be competent. Incompetents in serious crimes would be held until such time as they're found competent or indefinitely confined to a secure facility. This is not intended as legal advice and I am not claiming to be be an attorney.

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (Court TV) — Sarah Boone, the Florida woman accused of murdering her boyfriend who was found inside a zipped suitcase, has sent letters to her attorney and the judge in her case, saying that she has not been represented fairly.

The letter, dated March 22, is addressed to Frank Bankowitz, who was appointed as Boone’s attorney on July 11, 2022. In the letter, which appears to be missing pages, Boone says that she has been trying to reach Bankowitz using two different phone numbers, but has been unable to reach him in eight months.

“I even in my desperation to speak with you had an outside caller try to reach you on my behalf, who tried reaching your office three (3) times over the last almost 3 weeks, leaving a voicemail each time with no reply.”

I sat on a jury with a belligerent defendant. Before jury selection he intentionally soiled himself to delay the trial. When we first saw him it was obvious something was amiss as he was sitting in a chair with a plastic wrap.

During the trial he would constantly make outbursts forcing us to have to leave the courtroom so the judge could deal with him. After numerous disruptions, we eventually came back and he had been removed to a separate room with closed circuit TV so he could watch remotely.

His public defender lawyer tried to object to a much evidence as he could and give him the best trial he could. But the guy wouldn't cooperate. He testified against his lawyers advice and his lawyer went on record with his disagreement.

His testimony was a rambling mess but it opened him up for cross examination. The prosecutors went after him hard to the point he stopped responding and claimed the 5th.

The judge reminded him over and over that by testifying he gave up the right to not answer questions. Eventually the judge tossed all of his testimony.

After the trial the judge and both lawyers explained to us all that was happening and why they did what they did so that it would make it harder to have a mistrial declared when reviewed on appeal. We also learned more about his background and how the defense tried to get family members to testify on his behalf but that no one would.

All in all, it was quite the experience.

I sat on a jury with a belligerent defendant. Before jury selection he intentionally soiled himself to delay the trial. When we first saw him it was obvious something was amiss as he was sitting in a chair with a plastic wrap.

During the trial he would constantly make outbursts forcing us to have to leave the courtroom so the judge could deal with him. After numerous disruptions, we eventually came back and he had been removed to a separate room with closed circuit TV so he could watch remotely.

His public defender lawyer tried to object to a much evidence as he could and give him the best trial he could. But the guy wouldn't cooperate. He testified against his lawyers advice and his lawyer went on record with his disagreement.

His testimony was a rambling mess but it opened him up for cross examination. The prosecutors went after him hard to the point he stopped responding and claimed the 5th.

The judge reminded him over and over that by testifying he gave up the right to not answer questions. Eventually the judge tossed all of his testimony.

After the trial the judge and both lawyers explained to us all that was happening and why they did what they did so that it would make it harder to have a mistrial declared when reviewed on appeal. We also learned more about his background and how the defense tried to get family members to testify on his behalf but that no one would.

Wow. Thank you for sharing and for doing your duty!!

It's probably tried as a "no contest" plea and the accused has to sit through the proceeding, once they're evaluated to be competent. Incompetents in serious crimes would be held until such time as they're found competent or indefinitely confined to a secure facility. This is not intended as legal advice and I am not claiming to be be an attorney.
Then we have Darrell Brooks, who somehow managed to represent himself. That was a helluva show.

Wow! What a nightmare. Do you think he was doing it performatively in the hope for being considered mentally incapacitated or that was his genuine personality and character?

Then we have Darrell Brooks, who somehow managed to represent himself. That was a helluva show.

I'm surprised SB hasn't gone down the route of self-representation yet.

After all, she's had a few years to read up on what she believes the law is and seems she has strong opinions about her innocence and disagrees with her legal representatives advice. Surely the next move would be for her to tackle her own defence? Is she legally allowed to?

Maybe she's busy doing other things in prison, can't imagine what, but perhaps she's not so determined to have her day in court as one would imagine?

I'm surprised SB hasn't gone down the route of self-representation yet.

After all, she's had a few years to read up on what she believes the law is and seems she has strong opinions about her innocence and disagrees with her legal representatives advice. Surely the next move would be for her to tackle her own defence? Is she legally allowed to?

Maybe she's busy doing other things in prison, can't imagine what, but perhaps she's not so determined to have her day in court as one would imagine?
As long as she’s found to be competent to stand trial, she can waive her right to counsel and represent herself.

If you have time, please check out Darrell Brooks at trial. You can skip to key points in this video. Total circus.

Last edited:
As long as she’s found to be competent to stand trial, she can waive her right to counsel and represent herself.

If you have time, please check out Darrell Brooks at trial. You can skip to key points in this video. Total circus.

Heartbreaking for the victims' families, the injured, survivors, witnesses, and everyone involved to have to go through this case. Sov Cit madness to boot.

I predict this is exactly the sort of behaviour one could expect from SB representing self.

Completely off topic and random but does anyone know where her dogs are? She says in the body cam one is blind and one is deaf.
I don't know where they are, but wherever they are, they're better off without her.

i hope they have happy homes. Safe, happy homes!

<modsnip: quoted post was not an approved source> I wonder how premeditated this event possibly was if it was in response to repeated violence?

Looking at the tiny build of SB next to the police officer and in interview recordings, there's no way she would have been able to overpower JT physically. So although arguing she has been a victim of sustained abuse is one thing but then it leans towards that maybe she planned the whole event and none of it was accidental. JMO MOO pure speculation just weighing up the odds of her benefiting from arguing being a victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still on board. No cancellations. ;)

2/23/20201. SECOND DEGREE MURDER Statute: 782.04(2) First Degree - Punishable By Life4/13/2020 Not Guilty/Deny2/25/2020 OBTS:8888888888 Sequence:001 Control Number:20-17904 Arresting Agency:Orange County Sheriff Office

DateDescriptionPagesDoc
07/24/2023HEARING - Trial - Wooten, Wayne C
07/11/2023HEARING - Pre-Trial Conference - Wooten, Wayne C

DateHearingTimeLocationPagesDoc
7/24/2023Trial - Wooten, Wayne C9:00 AMRoom 6-D On The 6th Floor
7/11/2023Pre-Trial Conference - Wooten, Wayne C9:00 AMRoom 6-D On The 6th Floor

Orange County Clerk of Courts Records Search

Still on board. No cancellations. ;)

2/23/20201. SECOND DEGREE MURDER Statute: 782.04(2) First Degree - Punishable By Life4/13/2020 Not Guilty/Deny2/25/2020 OBTS:8888888888 Sequence:001 Control Number:20-17904 Arresting Agency:Orange County Sheriff Office

DateDescriptionPagesDoc
07/24/2023HEARING - Trial - Wooten, Wayne C
07/11/2023HEARING - Pre-Trial Conference - Wooten, Wayne C

DateHearingTimeLocationPagesDoc
7/24/2023Trial - Wooten, Wayne C9:00 AMRoom 6-D On The 6th Floor
7/11/2023Pre-Trial Conference - Wooten, Wayne C9:00 AMRoom 6-D On The 6th Floor

Orange County Clerk of Courts Records Search
Thanks for the update! If this does, in fact, go to trial all the Prosecutor has to do is play that video for the jury.

Thanks for the update! If this does, in fact, go to trial all the Prosecutor has to do is play that video for the jury.
You’re welcome. Really hope trial date happens In July. This is one of (too) many heinous murders, imo. She needs to be punished for her actions for causing loss of life. Her “story” makes no sense and she is a horrible cruel person.
jmo

Jailhouse letters from Sara

My word this woman...I don't even know where to start. There has to be some mental illness here. Doesn't excuse what she did and she needs to go away for a long time but oh my. Just reading the letters and trying to work my way through her mind was both fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back