FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hounds... thanks that put a smile on my face.. The pastor approached us at the burial after the foot stomping and the mr tight jeans removal and asked st if he planned on attending the reception. He said yes, this is for his daughter, and the pastor said, he thought it would be better, under the circumstances if we didnt attend, that he would be glad to pay for our lunch at sonnys. ST said that DT had just gotten saved and would he please help her in her journey with Christ. He said of course he would and offered again to give us money for lunch. I told him we were capable of feeding ourselves, that we didnt need his money. He said he was sorry for the problems.. by now I wasnt really paying attention to him. Everyone else was gone but us.. and st was having a hard time leaving the gravesite. LE then came and talked to st and told him that they were going to find who did this and that they were not on dts side or his side in this, that they work for somer. The lead detective promised to call st as soon as they solved this. Then they asked him to leave so the workers could finish the burial and we did. We went to zaxbys and I started calling attorneys.

BBM,

I wanted to respond to this last night. However, my wi-fi acted up and I was sooo disappointed since I was on my new MacBook Pro my hubby bought me as an xmas gift!! Couldn't get the internet back up!!!

First, I want to say from my observations about all these occurrences that I think ST is a class act. With all the negavity displayed from DT at time when in my opinion she should have risen above it and her issues with ST should have been the furthest from her mind - example: Press Conference where she stated he would not be staying at her house. This before Somer has even been found. Regardless, of what her issues were with ST - Somer was still his child. From looking at her past and her myriad of fathers of her children it tells me that isn't something too important to her. My opinion of course. DT leaving ST out of the obituary - well, I for one was one of the first to defend DT way back when stating we didn't know who he was etc.. I TOTALLY retract my prior statement from back in October. Even though ST had bascially been deemed a piece of dirt by what DT said about him in public. He still took the high road when interviewed by the press when it came to discussing DT. Class Act.

Second, Chicken I disagree slightly with you about the pastor. I know your perception is the pastor didn't do his job. Maybe he didn't. But my perception from reading was a little different. It sounds to me that DT basically all but controlled the situation with the pastor. He is obviously a man of god and IMO, picked up on her distain for ST and knew this might cause a scene or ruckus after learning more about DT and her behavior. If I were him I would be perplexed by having this mother who just suffered such a tragic blow with a loss of a child and her issues of the day are with ST??? Sounds like her priorities are a little messed up and again puts her own feelings over the memory of her daughter Somer and what was to be a celebration of a life ended tragically and too soon. My opinion is that the pastor was caught in between a rock and a hard place. I am sure had it been up to him ST would have attended the luncheon - but how as a pastor do you confront this mother who just lost her child??? I am sure it would have seemed insensitive from DT standpoint because IMO, it all about her. I think it is TELLING that he said" he was sorry for the problems".. So this just confirms that he was aware of the PROBLEMS - apparently these were of DT's making/doing because as far as I can see ST didn't instigate anything from what we are told. BTW, IMO she doesn't act like a woman who was just saved. With how ST was being treated he in my book is acting of a man with much class.

Third, something else I find remarkable is that even as we are told LE states they are not on one side or another!!! They will work for Somer! As it should be about SOMER!! Because this is ALL ABOUT SOMER!!! God rest her soul! I could imagine being an LE officer and a child goes missing, turns up murdered and the issues is about the parents not getting along??? P A T H E T I C --IMO!!! To the point of where LE even comments on this to one of the parents. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear LE take on this dynamic!!!

It doesn't take a million dollars to have class. It doesn't even take a penny. Class is something you have or you don't - it can not be purchased. Regardless of what a past situation has been with these two -- ST showed class in this particular situation.

To respond to something else a poster commented on here -

I think it is beyond strange and very TELLING (meaning something aint right here) that DT was not walking closely with her children at Somer's service. WHY???? Here she was leaning on PC the bf with no blood relation - and esp with the oldest sibling who walked as a loner -not wanting kids to talk to ST- Again, putting herself before her children who prob needed her more than anything at this moment in time. And she is leaning on her "man" -- MO, her number 1 priority just as I have been saying she puts her own needs above her children - no reason why she should have a live-in BF with her children in this type of situation. Putting "her" feelings about ST as forefront even while Somer has not be found yet - I guess I am being judgmental here but so be it. It is my opinion and how I look at everything from MY standpoint.

I also agree with Chickenpants about how the exterior is how behavior is analyzed and shows a lot of what a person is about. Including, her low cut dress. Someone asked if any of us knew anyone who would wear a dress like that to a funeral? Yes, I do know a few people would wear something like that or have at a some different cousins funerals I have attended - rough, riden, and no class of the few I know that come to mind.

This whole thing just makes me queesy. It is my opinion based on information that has been offered as "rumor" - even though I think a first hand account from SAD who was there and say and heard certain things with her own eyes and ears could be taken as face value IMO. Along with things we have seen with our own eyes. Myspaces, media video, interviews etc etc...

I am not sure that AC lives full time with DT before and after Somers murder. There are some inconsistencies re this situ. DT seems reluctant on one clip when asked about AC. I swear early on I heard he lived at GP's. Sad, when was the last time you saw AC? TIA

Thanks! Never thought of that...

A perp who is so sick and confident that he puts a little girl's dead body (presumably dressed, sitting up or prone in the back seat?) in his car, drives to a bar, has a few with his friends and then sashays out to dispose of her. It's not beyond comprehension in today's world. But who would hate this little girl enough to violate her so? Why her?

Makes me wonder, also, what the body was partially-covered with at the landfill. There would be a lot of garbage mixed together, but chances are some would be from the dumpster, too. Could this be a possible reason there was no media coverage allowed at that location? That a discovery photographed would impede the investigation?

Well, I am going to cry now. And I think it would be good for me to just shut up or go away for a while. Feel free, anyone, to hit the WOO HOO button, I will understand.

XO dying swan

DONT LEAVE!!!!!!!!!! I ENJOY your posts and I think we need to continue on different theories and timelines -- outside the box!!! Justice for Somer!!!

I wonder if Somer had Asperger Syndrome, mild variety of Autism, the reasons I am thinking this is, ChickenPants posted the article above and it states she would spin around in circles by herself on her way home. I also remember DT said " she loved to dance, even though she wasn't very good at it" I realize these are rather broad characteristics but maybe this is why SP is in the Picture. Children with Aspergers tend to be loners, uncoordinated etc.

I had posted much earlier a question wondering if Somer was a special needs child and got flamed big time. Nobody has offered that she attended any special classes, but some kids are tested (which I doubt happened) and do not fit the criteria for special education services. They are mainstreamed into regular classes. I do not know anything about Asperger's syndrome (whether it is genetic or etc) but when I say special needs I mean a child who does not "fit" into a "normal" profile.

If we are going to be honest here, let's consider this possibility, which is higher in multiple births, and for kids born of mothers who drink or do drugs, or even smoke. Feel free to look up statistics, anyone. Earlier there was discussion about whether or not mom herself has had a psychiatric history. If it is affirmative, the odds are higher that daughter would inherit anything.

Point? Children with special needs are often very naive and trusting, very impulsive and frequently very affectionate to everyone. The opposite is the child who is withdrawn, hostile or angry. We've read mostly that Somer fit the first category. Which makes her more likely to run to someone and in no way suspect that person would hurt her.

The biggest red herrings

Flagging down LE at 5:10 before checking that Somer was home yet

Had she for a fact not checked that Somer was home (via text or phone with SP)?

Cath, Ive seen the clip, but I dont know where. Your theory is possible, but I just cant put my mind around AC hurting somer, even unintentionally, not when Ive heard how close they were. How he has spent all of his life watching her, protecting her. The heartbreaking way he looked until he dropped. I think they were alike, those two. I think they shared common roles as "misfits" in this family. I dont think he could have pulled off his lie of looking, looking, looking for her, til he dropped, if he knew anything about where she was.

Sad, this makes me sad then - I know I bring up the subject about the sibling incest. I hope this isn't the case. But because of what you say these two were "misfits" in the family. Could they have developed an unhealthy relationship since they seemed to need love? That is a lot of what the research on the subject shows. The family dynamic is all there- siblings look to one another for love??

BBM,

I wanted to respond to this last night. However, my wi-fi acted up and I was sooo disappointed since I was on my new MacBook Pro my hubby bought me as an xmas gift!! Couldn't get the internet back up!!!

First, I want to say from my observations about all these occurrences that I think ST is a class act. With all the negavity displayed from DT at time when in my opinion she should have risen above it and her issues with ST should have been the furthest from her mind - example: Press Conference where she stated he would not be staying at her house. This before Somer has even been found. Regardless, of what her issues were with ST - Somer was still his child. From looking at her past and her myriad of fathers of her children it tells me that isn't something too important to her. My opinion of course. DT leaving ST out of the obituary - well, I for one was one of the first to defend DT way back when stating we didn't know who he was etc.. I TOTALLY retract my prior statement from back in October. Even though ST had bascially been deemed a piece of dirt by what DT said about him in public. He still took the high road when interviewed by the press when it came to discussing DT. Class Act.

Second, Chicken I disagree slightly with you about the pastor. I know your perception is the pastor didn't do his job. Maybe he didn't. But my perception from reading was a little different. It sounds to me that DT basically all but controlled the situation with the pastor. He is obviously a man of god and IMO, picked up on her distain for ST and knew this might cause a scene or ruckus after learning more about DT and her behavior. If I were him I would be perplexed by having this mother who just suffered such a tragic blow with a loss of a child and her issues of the day are with ST??? Sounds like her priorities are a little messed up and again puts her own feelings over the memory of her daughter Somer and what was to be a celebration of a life ended tragically and too soon. My opinion is that the pastor was caught in between a rock and a hard place. I am sure had it been up to him ST would have attended the luncheon - but how as a pastor do you confront this mother who just lost her child??? I am sure it would have seemed insensitive from DT standpoint because IMO, it all about her. I think it is TELLING that he said" he was sorry for the problems".. So this just confirms that he was aware of the PROBLEMS - apparently these were of DT's making/doing because as far as I can see ST didn't instigate anything from what we are told. BTW, IMO she doesn't act like a woman who was just saved. With how ST was being treated he in my book is acting of a man with much class.

Third, something else I find remarkable is that even as we are told LE states they are not on one side or another!!! They will work for Somer! As it should be about SOMER!! Because this is ALL ABOUT SOMER!!! God rest her soul! I could imagine being an LE officer and a child goes missing, turns up murdered and the issues is about the parents not getting along??? P A T H E T I C --IMO!!! To the point of where LE even comments on this to one of the parents. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear LE take on this dynamic!!!

It doesn't take a million dollars to have class. It doesn't even take a penny. Class is something you have or you don't - it can not be purchased. Regardless of what a past situation has been with these two -- ST showed class in this particular situation.

To respond to something else a poster commented on here -

I think it is beyond strange and very TELLING (meaning something aint right here) that DT was not walking closely with her children at Somer's service. WHY???? Here she was leaning on PC the bf with no blood relation - and esp with the oldest sibling who walked as a loner -not wanting kids to talk to ST- Again, putting herself before her children who prob needed her more than anything at this moment in time. And she is leaning on her "man" -- MO, her number 1 priority just as I have been saying she puts her own needs above her children - no reason why she should have a live-in BF with her children in this type of situation. Putting "her" feelings about ST as forefront even while Somer has not be found yet - I guess I am being judgmental here but so be it. It is my opinion and how I look at everything from MY standpoint.

I also agree with Chickenpants about how the exterior is how behavior is analyzed and shows a lot of what a person is about. Including, her low cut dress. Someone asked if any of us knew anyone who would wear a dress like that to a funeral? Yes, I do know a few people would wear something like that or have at a some different cousins funerals I have attended - rough, riden, and no class of the few I know that come to mind.

This whole thing just makes me queesy. It is my opinion based on information that has been offered as "rumor" - even though I think a first hand account from SAD who was there and say and heard certain things with her own eyes and ears could be taken as face value IMO. Along with things we have seen with our own eyes. Myspaces, media video, interviews etc etc...

Well based on your intelligent analysis of the funeral home dynamic, I have to go back and retract my judgement of the Pastor. I think you must be right. I would not have wanted this job for anything. Thanks for your great insight.

http://clintvanzandt.newsvine.com/_...5-the-search-for-the-killer-of-somer-thompson

I don't know who the author is here or if it is a trustworthy news organization. There is some very interesting information on forensics investigation here. IMO

The author Clint Van Zandt (clicked on his name and it brought up photo and this):

Former FBI Criminal Profiler, Hostage Negotiator, and TV, Radio, and Print Media Crime Analyst

Not sure how interesting this is; it seems to be the basic profile. Chicken, let me know what you found interesting in the article.

The FBI believes there are people in the community that have information about the crime, but are not coming forward because they don't feel that their information is relevant to the investigation. Investigators believe that there are specific traits that people may not immediately recognize but want people to think about. Some of these traits could be:

-Anyone that may have left the area for a seemingly plausible reason on or around the day Somer disappeared on Oct. 19.

-The suspect may have missed work recently.

-Any unexplained injuries, such as cuts to the hands, arms or head.

-An unnatural interest in the investigation particularly to media coverage.

-Increased nervousness.

-Facial hair changes.

-Someone that may have abandoned their vehicle recently, such as selling it, giving it away, or hiding it in a garage.

-A sudden change in religious beliefs; either becoming more religious or less religious.

-An unusual change in sleep patterns.

-An increase in drug or alcohol use.

I wonder if Somer had Asperger Syndrome, mild variety of Autism, the reasons I am thinking this is, ChickenPants posted the article above and it states she would spin around in circles by herself on her way home. I also remember DT said " she loved to dance, even though she wasn't very good at it" I realize these are rather broad characteristics but maybe this is why SP is in the Picture. Children with Aspergers tend to be loners, uncoordinated etc.

No way. I'm almost an expert in autism with son with it and husband who surely has aspergers. I think she's more like ADD or ADHD than Aspergers.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_signs_symptoms.htm
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=287&id=2339

Lots of Somer's symptoms stem from her home life. She lost a dad and gained PC. That alone could give her the symptoms. Lots of times the kids with an unstable homelife seem to fit any profile. Asperger's needs to be diagonsed earlier. If there is a late diagnosis it may not be accurate. My son got his autism PDD diagnosis at 3. Many symptoms overlap so diagnosis is not as accurate at a later age.

One thing I must say Asperger's kids are usually not socially inclined. My husband barely had one friend. Somer had many friends.

I'd be very surprised if Somer had autism even a mild kind.

I don't know about anyone else, but that comment by DT " . . .even though she wasn't very good at it" really makes me sick. A loving parent would NEVER say that about their little 7-year-old daughter, and it makes me wonder how many other little comments like that were said about Somer where she could hear them? Believe me, that kind of disparaging remark isn't funny or cute to a 7-year-old. Comments like that are registered and stay for life.

I don't think anything at all was wrong with Somer. Dancing and twirling could have been her way of zoning out. My granddaughter does that. She was a beautiful little girl just trying to make the best of a not-so-great situation.

SP was in the picture for years - remember the Halloween photos - so I don't believe he was there for Somer. No one else seemed to pay much attention - why would they bring in someone to "help" her? KWIM?

Had she for a fact not checked that Somer was home (via text or phone with SP)?

If she did dont you think she would have said so .. on the police report she did not say she did .. nor did SP

Countless interviews? Did she say she called or checked home first?

No she did not

I don't know about anyone else, but that comment by DT " . . .even though she wasn't very good at it" really makes me sick. A loving parent would NEVER say that about their little 7-year-old daughter, and it makes me wonder how many other little comments like that were said about Somer where she could hear them? Believe me, that kind of disparaging remark isn't funny or cute to a 7-year-old. Comments like that are registered and stay for life.

I don't think anything at all was wrong with Somer. Dancing and twirling could have been her way of zoning out. My granddaughter does that. She was a beautiful little girl just trying to make the best of a not-so-great situation.

SP was in the picture for years - remember the Halloween photos - so I don't believe he was there for Somer. No one else seemed to pay much attention - why would they bring in someone to "help" her? KWIM?

I agree. Whatever symptoms Somer exhibted like even the running off were a result of her environment and lack of adequate supervision and guidance. She needed positive reinforcement and attention. At seven, kids need so much love and support. Maybe always but especially at seven. I bet she was little sponge looking for information and love. I feel so bad that the very thing she needed she couldn't have.

As I indicated, I think this was done by minors. But, I can't quite close the deal in my mind, because something really bothers me. Somer ran away from her siblings,after her sister brought up the fight(s) she had had at school that day. It's safe to say that Somer was upset.Yet, "Kyle" said that Somer came into the yard of the Gano House, and then told him/them that he/they were doing a good job. She said nothing else. And then she simply walked back onto Gano,the same way that she had come in. This is not at all believable to me. Some questions :

1. Had Kyle,or any of the construction crew ever seen her in the yard before ?

2. Did the construction crew work on that house on the weekend ? Maybe Saturday ?

3. What was Kyle's response to her supposed praise for their work ?

4. Did anyone from the crew follow her ? Say, to the park ?

So, I can't yet say that I'm 100% convinced here about who is the most likely murderer. Almost,though.

The author Clint Van Zandt (clicked on his name and it brought up photo and this):

Former FBI Criminal Profiler, Hostage Negotiator, and TV, Radio, and Print Media Crime Analyst

Not sure how interesting this is; it seems to be the basic profile. Chicken, let me know what you found interesting in the article.

The FBI believes there are people in the community that have information about the crime, but are not coming forward because they don't feel that their information is relevant to the investigation. Investigators believe that there are specific traits that people may not immediately recognize but want people to think about. Some of these traits could be:

-Anyone that may have left the area for a seemingly plausible reason on or around the day Somer disappeared on Oct. 19.

-The suspect may have missed work recently.

-Any unexplained injuries, such as cuts to the hands, arms or head.

-An unnatural interest in the investigation particularly to media coverage.

-Increased nervousness.

-Facial hair changes.

-Someone that may have abandoned their vehicle recently, such as selling it, giving it away, or hiding it in a garage.

-A sudden change in religious beliefs; either becoming more religious or less religious.

-An unusual change in sleep patterns.

-An increase in drug or alcohol use.

What I found interesting:

- Four different crime scenes? How did he get that number?
- Bagged evidence from landfill. Such as what?
- 5-10 minute window for abduction. Goes along with what I surmised.
- Lag in DT reporting to police - crucial time lost
- Perp profile is from FBI. I didn't know that.

Looking at your post and criminal profile - how does the born again thing fit into sudden change of religious beliefs?

1. I agree totally. Especially if the child had just been brutally murdered and thrown in the trash.

2. Maybe to have an excuse to keep him around?

If she did dont you think she would have said so .. on the police report she did not say she did .. nor did SP

Countless interviews? Did she say she called or checked home first?

No she did not

Maybe the question was not asked. Maybe LE felt it was obvious that if she was still searching, Somer had not come home. IDK

Maybe the question was: When did you first realize Somer was missing? (Received text message from SP saying Somer had not come home with other children).

However, I will agree with you that if she had not checked with Sean by then, it should raise a giant red flag with LE. If it didn't raise a red flag, my faith in LE just took a major plummet.

I think of red herrings as actions we know were done and that we believe were done to deliberately mislead others (in this case, LE and/or the public).

Stating her height as 3' 7" and 65 pounds (stated in narrative of MPR but not in part of form where Somer is listed as victim) does not seem to have been a red herring because LE continued to list Somer as that (when the AMBER Alert was issued she was shorter (!) Wouldn't they correct it if they were asking the public's help?

And while it doesn't matter how tall our kids and grandkids are, to address those who say it is not possible that a 7 year old (in this case Somer) was 3'7", I had measured my friend's daughter (7 year old; born in late May 2002) some time ago; she is 3'8". Short yes, but not the shortest of the 2nd graders in her class. So I didn't think much about comments that a 7 year old could not be that short because I knew that one could.

Who is to blame on the confusion in height? Does anyone know what her height really was? Was Diena deliberately lying or really had no idea how tall Somer was, and based on a last known measurement?

MPR has Somer's height as 3'7" according to Diena.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/22/police.report.pdf

In the AMBER Alert, she is 3'5"
http://www.missingabducted.com/2009...g-101909-amber-alert-clay-county-florida.html

In this article, she is said to be 4'5"
http://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-alert-search-somer-thompson-missing-florida-girl/story?id=8874269

In this article, she is said to be 3'5"
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2309863/somer_thompson_missing_mother_on_today.html?cat=62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot