FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE never told ST not to view her body. When he asked the funeral home personnel to view her body, this person told him that he would not recommend it. That he didnt think it would be good to have his last vision of her in that condition. I have wished so many times that I could go back through all of this after I was a member here, so I would have known more of what to look for. I wonder if ST had insisted that he see her what would have happened. I also wonder if part of the reason he was not allowed to visit the kids yet has to do with AT telling him what she knows about that day. That LE doesnt want her or anyone else talking about this to anyone.

I can totally see this!!! Same with how PC is soo possessive about the kids and DT when it comes to their father- what is the giant bald guy helping hide? MO, I don't care if popular or not something sinister is going on or was in that home. Whether it is a direct result of something happening to Somer, indirect or just something in general not relating. It is what my gut is telling me.

Makes you think the same thing with teachers, parents, co-workers, classmates --- NOTHING non-grada - I am thinking LE told them not to discuss this case down to details with ANYONE!!! Times left places, attendence, confirmed or unconfirmed alibis.... Or they themselves could be charged with tampering with evidence or something or another!!! It makes no sense otherwise - on another case we had people joining WS out of the woodwork giving IMPORTANT info -- it was nuts that this place can be a meeting ground for so many that have information.... I haven't seen AS much of that on this case - except a few people :)

From my understanding, as long as it is an active investigation, LE has the right to withhold any information they choose from either parent, including autopsy results. I know that ST has not pushed this issue. I dont think it really matters to him how she died, or he just cant handle knowing. All he says to me is that it wont bring her back. Hes not gonna get a do-over. This knowledge wont change anything for him. He trusts LE and feels they know what is best, so he does what they recommend amd waits like the rest of us.

Parents can view. That is their right. Neither ST nor DT were denied viewing. They instead denied themselves the last view of their sweet Somer most likely due to some personel at the funeral home.

Yes, but what about the security measure that someone posted above?

Sorry, I see now where SAD said that wasn't the case!

I dont think LE asked her or st not to view somers body. I think it was recommended by LE and Funeral Director.. due to the condition of her body.

Ya know something though -- going to speculate here -- IF she actually did go through the entire trash scenario I could imagine physical damage on the body/head. HOWEVER, something that has always stuck out at me is that her birth mark was still identifiable - skin at this point had not deteriorated -- I don't see why then the casket could not be partially opened even if to stroke her hand or something.. I can understand body not being in great shape but it wasn't skeletal - I don't know I don't have much experience in dead corpses nor do I want to learn anything more about them or see pictures - My stomach to sensitive!

I think there is a big difference between making the recommendation that Diena (and/or family) not view Somer's body and not allowing it.

If I found out for fact that LE specifically stated that Diena was not allowed under any circumstances to view the body, that would raise a red flag for me.

But once again, there are inconsistencies in the reporting. Maybe in the interpretation by Diena?

Boy am I confused!

In this video Diena says, "We are not gonna be able to see Somer. They're gonna give me a lock of her hair."

Then Ryan Hughes, the reporter, goes on to say, "And the reason for that we have learned that the Georgia medical examiners office will not release the body in time for those services on Monday and Tuesday."

http://www.wftv.com/video/21409330/index.html

Chick, I had my conspiracy theory at one point ... that Somer's body wasn't even in the casket.

I haven't been able to completely drop that idea but it's been on the back burner.

Chick, I had my conspiracy theory at one point ... that Somer's body wasn't even in the casket.

I haven't been able to completely drop that idea but it's been on the back burner.

That thought has gone through my head as well --- BUT what if ST had insisted the casket be opened?? Him and DT in entire different camps no communication there. They couldn't have prepared for that could they have? And wouldn't that be illegal on le part? Has it ever been done?

What would they benefit from by keeping it outside the casket? Would it be buried later after all the family left the graveside???

I highly doubt they would bury an empty casket. She was in that casket. If they were doing a cremation than maybe but not for a burial.

"We're not gonna be able to see Somer" makes it sound IMO like someone else was doing the stopping.

What would be the reaction if she had come forward and said "My family and I have chosen not to view Somer's body" ... would people think they were uncaring and didn't love Somer?

I don't know what I would do if in those shoes but the me posting says I wouldn't view my daughter. I'd rather remember her boxing in a tutu on the Wii, swinging on her swing, dancing to Dora, snuggling with me, etc.

I like the way you think!! ;)

Noway,
Believe me, I thought the same thing. That her body was not even in that casket. I know initally they thought her body would not be released by ME in time for the service. But it was. I would think it would be illegal to tell her family that her body was released and buried when it was not. What then would they do with her? The autopsy was made a priority and was accomplished fast IMO. I believe somer was buried. That the cause of death was obvious when she was found and the autopsy verified it. As far as the birthmark, from what ST has said, it was distinct and large. I know that he thought about just touching her hand, but he said he would not be able to stop there. If he could do it over I dont know if he would do it the same way. I think he regrets not seeing her. I think he lives with many regrets and that he was in shock through most of these decisions.

I highly doubt they would bury an empty casket. She was in that casket. If they were doing a cremation than maybe but not for a burial.

Not that I am convinced one way or the other, but....who says they BURIED anything? LE was the last ones on scene.
Maybe they let the people who wanted their purple extravaganza have it.
If this is the case that the body was not released by LE yet, as reported.
And one day there may be another quiet service held by those who loved her. JMOO ya know!

In my opinion

The parents have not denied themselves the opportunity to view her body as much as they have spared themselves the memory and nightmares of the image of their beautiful child reduced to something one might find in a horror film. This child's body possibly went through multiple compactions and was found face down in the dump with her legs sticking out (from what I understand). This leads me to believe that her face had undergone one heck of a lot of trauma postmortem alone. Would you really want to remember your child like that? I saw the crime scene pic's of my ex lying in the road after being run over multiple times. I would not wish those memories on anybody. The nightmares were a nightly occurrence for at least a year. (Dsntslp - Doesn't Sleep) My s/n was a direct result of being scared to sleep as I knew without a doubt the nightmares would come. I considered myself to be a strong person, thought I could handle it, had viewed deceased bodies before... You can not control where your mind goes when you are asleep nearly as well as you can during the time you are awake. If Somer was in the horrible condition I think she may have been then I am ever so glad her parents did not view her like that and take that memory with them forever. When I remember my ex now the first thing I see in my mind is the grotesque condition his body was in and I have to work hard to change that mental image to a better one, even then, 3 years later, it isn't always possible.

I sincerely apologize if I have been too graphic here but I do not understand the relevance to the investigation or sleuthing as to whether or not her parents viewed her body. What is the importance here? Pinamia, perhaps you can explain it to me as this topic has been presented by you numerous times? I do not understand the relevance here, honestly. Please help me understand why this is thought to be so important. Thanks.

Noway,
Believe me, I thought the same thing. That her body was not even in that casket. I know initally they thought her body would not be released by ME in time for the service. But it was. I would think it would be illegal to tell her family that her body was released and buried when it was not. What then would they do with her? The autopsy was made a priority and was accomplished fast IMO. I believe somer was buried. That the cause of death was obvious when she was found and the autopsy verified it. As far as the birthmark, from what ST has said, it was distinct and large. I know that he thought about just touching her hand, but he said he would not be able to stop there. If he could do it over I dont know if he would do it the same way. I think he regrets not seeing her. I think he lives with many regrets and that he was in shock through most of these decisions.

BBM, Is it possible the body was not in the casket at time of service but was later brought to the burial site after yall left the graveside???

Once again I am not computing what is being said. LE did not release her body. ME did. But they didnt have to. If they had wanted they could have retained her body and not allowed it to be buried at the service. But, if they had all they needed from her body, what would be the point? Her body was released. Her body was buried. I dont think anyone wanted the purple extravaganza. I think it all became a roller coaster ride with no one able to stop it, even if they had wanted to. Seriously, everyone... there wasnt any purple kool aide.

Noway,

BBM

In this adorable baby pic of Somer and her brother you can see the birthmark on her leg.

Attachments

• somerbirthmark.jpg
    somerbirthmark.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 32
"We're not gonna be able to see Somer" makes it sound IMO like someone else was doing the stopping.

What would be the reaction if she had come forward and said "My family and I have chosen not to view Somer's body" ... would people think they were uncaring and didn't love Somer?

I don't know what I would do if in those shoes but the me posting says I wouldn't view my daughter. I'd rather remember her boxing in a tutu on the Wii, swinging on her swing, dancing to Dora, snuggling with me, etc.

But we know that's what she did. I know her reason too because she couldn't handle it. She felt guilt for not protecting Somer. ST may have the same exact reason. Both felt very guilty and despite that showed very little respect for Somer even in her death. She deserved so much more in life and death. DT held bitterness towards ST so much so to even omit his name on the obituary notice. ST isn't the ideal father as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he had bitter words for DT as well. It was all about them not about poor Somer.

BBM, Is it possible the body was not in the casket at time of service but was later brought to the burial site after yall left the graveside???

Why? I just dont understand the point, when they could have just been honest and said no... her body will not be released at this time.

In my opinion

The parents have not denied themselves the opportunity to view her body as much as they have spared themselves the memory and nightmares of the image of their beautiful child reduced to something one might find in a horror film. This child's body possibly went through multiple compactions and was found face down in the dump with her legs sticking out (from what I understand). This leads me to believe that her face had undergone one heck of a lot of trauma postmortem alone. Would you really want to remember your child like that? I saw the crime scene pic's of my ex lying in the road after being run over multiple times. I would not wish those memories on anybody. The nightmares were a nightly occurrence for at least a year. (Dsntslp - Doesn't Sleep) My s/n was a direct result of being scared to sleep as I knew without a doubt the nightmares would come. I considered myself to be a strong person, thought I could handle it, had viewed deceased bodies before... You can not control where your mind goes when you are asleep nearly as well as you can during the time you are awake. If Somer was in the horrible condition I think she may have been then I am ever so glad her parents did not view her like that and take that memory with them forever. When I remember my ex now the first thing I see in my mind is the grotesque condition his body was in and I have to work hard to change that mental image to a better one, even then, 3 years later, it isn't always possible.

I sincerely apologize if I have been too graphic here but I do not understand the relevance to the investigation or sleuthing as to whether or not her parents viewed her body. What is the importance here? Pinamia, perhaps you can explain it to me as this topic has been presented by you numerous times? I do not understand the relevance here, honestly. Please help me understand why this is thought to be so important. Thanks.

Somer was murdered. She was not even viewed by her parents not because they weren't allowed but because they wanted to spare themselves more pain.

Why? I just dont understand the point, when they could have just been honest and said no... her body will not be released at this time.

I don't know Sad. I just don't know. Maybe a mental diversion??? Or something came up at last minute? I will just drop it, I am asking questions just looking for opinions. Talking out loud! With all the possible this and that happening for a certain reason or another I think anything possible is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia