GUILTY FL - Tricia Todd, 30, Hobe Sound, 27 April 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone earlier in the thread (my apologies for forgetting who) said that the military court would take over after he was released from prison, and that the military punishment would be life.

I hope someone can verify that; I'd love for it to be true that a military sentence would be imposed. But, the bit of research I did indicated it almost never happens.

Please correct me. I'd much prefer to be wrong. MOO

I did find one current case where a military prosecutor is trying to do so. I can't find where a decision has been made, but it seems a great example of why there should be a second prosecution.

http://pilotonline.com/news/militar...cle_6c28fade-f5e5-583f-91bb-7c61cb9189d3.html

"A military prosecutor said Friday that another murder trial is warranted for a sailor – who previously served time in prison for shooting and killing his best friend – because the resulting six-month sentence was too light.

noted it’s rare for the military to try a case that’s already been adjudicated in civilian court, but he said this case meets his office’s threshold.“Six months doesn’t satisfy the interest of justice,” Partridge said.
Double jeopardy, the constitutional prohibition against being tried twice for the same crime, doesn’t apply here because the first charges were in state court, while the new ones are federal."

I'm not following how the military can prosecute him for the same crime? I understand a dishonorable discharge. If he committed a different crime under military code such as stealing a military vehicle to commit the crime I can see that but I'm not following additional military punishment?

I'm not following how the military can prosecute him for the same crime? I understand a dishonorable discharge. If he committed a different crime under military code such as stealing a military vehicle to commit the crime I can see that but I'm not following additional military punishment?

I hope this helps, because it is confusing. I can also try to explain more clearly if needed :) At the core, the constitutional right to no double jeopardy or no double punishment is preserved by having separate trials in the two different systems. Both the federal government (which usually represents military interests) and a state may prosecute someone for the same conduct.

Joint Jurisdiction. Courts-martial have exclusive jurisdiction over purely military offenses. In the case of an offense that violates the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the criminal law of a State, other Federal law, or all three, it must be determined which jurisdiction will prosecute. This decision is normally made through coordination between appropriate military authorities (ordinarily the chief military lawyer at an installation (Staff Judge Advocate)) and appropriate civilian authorities (United States Attorney or District Attorney’s Office).

The fact that an accused is subject to trial by court-martial does not eliminate the possibility of trial by another jurisdiction, either in addition to or in lieu of court-martial. Under the United States Constitution, a person may not be tried for the same misconduct by both a court-martial and another federal court. Such an act would violate the Constitution’s double jeopardy clause.

Criminal prosecution in both federal and state courts is also a constitutional possibility. The Constitution’s double jeopardy clause is not applicable because two different sovereigns are involved, i.e. the federal government and state government. As a matter of policy, however, a person who is pending trial or has been tried by a State court is ordinarily not tried by court-martial for the same act.
http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/135/MJFACTSHTS[1].html

I am on page 17...My heart is heavy...Poor Tricia.

Thank you so much for this! Do you think that the fact that Tricia was also military can play into it at all?

Officially, I don't believe that the fact that Tricia was also military has any bearing on the decision to either court martial her ex or not. But practically speaking (& this is just my opinion), I could see that playing into their decision. The military tends to be very protective of their own and I can see her ex being judged extra harshly for committing this heinous crime against a fellow service(wo)man.

This is kind of personal, but I feel compelled to share it.

In general, I am a pretty detached person emotionally, and very analytical. For some reason Tricia's case has been an emotional one for me, and I feel very angry and sad. Like white hot, punch you in the face anger. Completely NOT the way I am.

I was talking to my mother about her, and she told me that my Great Uncle used to be the Sheriff in Hobe Sound. He had a teenage daughter that was killed there. Apparently a LOT of my family is from there, and lives there still. The co-worker of Tricia's who speaks about her in this article is my relative.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/friends-family-recall-slain-nurse-tricia-todds-smi/nrWhZ/

I am just floored by the connection. Thanks for letting me say that. <3

WDG (I hope you don't mind me abbreviating), you have been here from the beginning for Tricia. I appreciate your posts very much. I now know this case has a special place in your heart! I believe Tricia was a gentle soul and I believe she tried to help everyone she came in contact with in this world. She loved Steven very much at one point, and he took advantage of her in the most awful way possible. Thank you for sharing your special connection to Tricia's case and to Hobe Cove. You're probably not much one for hugs, but I'm going to :hug: you anyway because everybody needs a hug now and then! It's a hug for you and Tricia if she was still with us. She will leave an empty hole in many, many people's hearts. It takes a special angel on earth to be a hospice nurse. I am glad that Tricia's brother (or Tricia's mom) has F and I know they will fill her in on the many happy memories with F and her mommy and just how much Tricia loved her.

RIP Tricia Todd! You have left footprints on our heart that we will never forget!

Officially, I don't believe that the fact that Tricia was also military has any bearing on the decision to either court martial her ex or not. But practically speaking (& this is just my opinion), I could see that playing into their decision. The military tends to be very protective of their own and I can see her ex being judged extra harshly for committing this heinous crime against a fellow service(wo)man.

Actually, I believe violence against a military member makes it a federal offense. Unless it already is, then disregard &#128580;

I wish they could make Williams get down on his hands and knees to find what is left of Tricia! Oh man! To see those good people hunting for every piece of Tricia they can find - they are a special kind of heros. I bet if Williams had to get out there on his hands and knees, he would find her remains real quick. !

I wonder what he did with the rest of her? The swamp or maybe a dumpster? He is a MONSTER! Hoping he gets some jail house justice if a judge refuses to up his charges.

I read this link posted earlier regarding military justice. There were only 6 military members on death row. The article was from 2013 and it mentioned the Texas shooter Nadal Hassan from Fort Hood who massacred many people maybe getting put on death row there. That's exactly where Steven Williams needs to be... JMO!

4/25
check in at b&b
4/26
2130 - ER visit
2230 - Publix visit
2330 - last post made to journal <modsnip>
4/27
0000 - Per SW, he sent TT a text to come to the b&b. (But was she already there and now dead?) is there video of her arriving at the b&b?
0110 - Video of TT car leaving b&b. Neighbor confirms. Per SW TT body is in back seat. He planned to take her to her home. Video supports this, but returned to b&b instead.
0123 - TT cell phone connection terminated. Video of TT car making U turn near her home.
0129 - Video of TT car returning to b&b. Neighbor confirms return.
0142 - Neighbor says SW asked for a gas can.
0148 - SW moves TT car to get his and leaves in his car to get gas. Video of him at gas station. He returns back at b&b.
0204 - Video of TT car leaving b&b second time. Neighbor confirms. TT body still in car.
0215 - Neighbor retreats inside for the night.
time? SW returns TT car to her residence with keys still in ignition parking it in an odd spot.
0441 - Video of SW walking north away from TT home. 3.6 mile distance.

any theories on how he pulled this off? He does appear strong and I have seen holes dug quite fast. But that's still a lot of legwork to happen in such a small window. I saw in an article (or maybe it was the arrest affidavit) that his stay at the b&b was from 4/25-27. So he had a portion of the 25 and most of the day on 26. Do we know when he first had F in his custody that day? Can anyone add to the timeline?

Thank you for the timeline!! I believe he must have done all the digging and purchasing of acid and maybe container on the 25th. Williams is a real piece of work now. Again, I hope he gets a taste of jailhouse justice. JMO.

There's really no way to put this question delicately: is it possible the pieces of Tricia that haven't been found simply dissolved in the acid?

I'm sure there weren't just shovels, acid, and containers lying around at a place he rented.
<respectfully snipped>

Just a thought about the acid - there are LOTS of pools down here in Florida, and so there are lots of pool chemicals readily available. I know the local Pinch a Penny pool store is always busy with people carrying in refillable 2.5 gallon jugs to get more liquid chlorine.

Wonder if he had easy access to these, like muriatic acid and liquid chlorine? Does the AirB&B have a pool?

Just thinking if they can't find an acid purchase, maybe they should check if pool chemicals are missing from places he would have had access to.

From a purely legal standpoint, does it matter if they find when and where he obtained the stuff he used? Isn't his plea deal already a done deal?

I'm not knocking anyone's curiosity, just not sure if the police are obligated to chase leads on a case that is solved?

I'm not sure. The one talking head lawyer made it sound like it would be up to the Judge, and he felt it was unlikely the Judge would overturn any plea bargain they made with this guy. Williams flat out lied about what happened to Tricia, but it seems once the family agreed to the 30 years for finding Tricia's remains that sealed the deal. Hoping against hope that this "plea deal" can be reversed. I feel horrible for Tricia's family and friends and co-workers. You never expect someone with whom you share a child and years as a couple to be capable of committing unspeakable atrocities to the mother of your child... Williams is one sick individual. Assistant DA described him as very cold, unemotional, showing no remorse whatsoever. He seems so smug in the mugshot. I wish Tricia had been able to cut all ties with him, but I feel she probably wanted their daughter to know her dad.

He is a pitiful excuse for a human being.

I'm not sure. The one talking head lawyer made it sound like it would be up to the Judge, and he felt it was unlikely the Judge would overturn any plea bargain they made with this guy. Williams flat out lied about what happened to Tricia, but it seems once the family agreed to the 30 years for finding Tricia's remains that sealed the deal. Hoping against hope that this "plea deal" can be reversed. I feel horrible for Tricia's family and friends and co-workers. You never expect someone with whom you share a child and years as a couple to be capable of committing unspeakable atrocities to the mother of your child... Williams is one sick individual. Assistant DA described him as very cold, unemotional, showing no remorse whatsoever. He seems so smug in the mugshot. I wish Tricia had been able to cut all ties with him, but I feel she probably wanted their daughter to know her dad.

He is a pitiful excuse for a human being.

Agreed, couldn't add anything to your words regarding my thoughts towards the resolution of SW. I am not going to doubt Tricia's thoughts and actions, but this should definitely be a learning moment to anyone, male or female, married, single or divorced, that has been threatened directly or indirectly, but still needs to deal with someone because a child is involved. Please, please, please, always go to public areas with a friend or family member for you and your child's safety. Make every effort to have backup anytime someone like this "pops into town" for a night or two. It is always so easy to look at these cases in retrospect, but threats should never be ignored especially if/when pets were killed in the past and someone's mother actually warns you about their heinous thoughts/intentions, if that happens to be true.

I guess if you were married that might be difficult, especially if you sleep next to them but you get my point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back