GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Identification is problematic period. Eyewitness ID isn't always reliable.
But I really don't think her ID is what police is going on here.
Because the of what the younger one told police, apparently, the older one was picked up even before mother was able to ID him.
And there is no problem with cross racial identification between younger and older suspects.

Oh, I don't think they're going on her ID much at all either, people were just talking earlier about cross race bias so I tossed in my thoughts. I do think it may be harder to guess the age of some ethnic groups based on how they age. I also think it's harder for old people to identify younger people's age and vice versa. But your point is quite right, witness IDs are problematic in general.

I'm not sure I even understand that statement.

Jmo This case reminds me of the steubenville rape case in that this subcommunity/culture is in it's own little world with their own rules and morals. I don't understand if they honestly believe what the boys are telling them, if they will say anything to protect family members or if they are lying for other reasons. I admit the entire tragedy has many inconsistencies, but the families are fighting this tooth and nail as if they have 1000% proof like CCTV of the boys on a tour of the police station during the time of the murder. Again jmo.

Laywer claims the older one likes cartoons and wants to go home. Alrighty then.
By all means let him go home, so he can watch cartoons.

I'm willing to bet most people in jail like cartoons and want to go home.

I know this is a victim-friendly site, and I respect and celebrate that. I am relieved that assailants have been detained and arrested in this case. I hold the shooter fully responsible for this heinous crime against an innocent child. But as an intelligent, thinking person, I have to say I have some issues with what the public has been presented with this case. Most bothersome to me is the uncut interview with SW, and then the subsequent arrest of Antonio's father, and his statements regarding SW's blame in this case. I honestly realize that emotions are all over the place, and I personally know people who have lost loved ones to violent crime. I just don't get some of the statements..example: SW said she was encouraged to get out more for walks by Antonio's father, then later I read that Antonio's father is blaming SW for the death of their son, because of where she walked that morning?

I still maintain there is much more to this story. No, SW is not to blame for Antonio's death: the shooter is. But I think the residents of that area, as well as the public reading this horrible story would like to know the whole truth. I have suspected, but have been reticent to post here, that there is more to the story,<modsnip>. I can understand the father going through an anger reaction, and blaming SW unjustly. I just don't get the LOGIC behind the specific accusations- even taking into account a state of shock.

This is a very strange story.

I know this is a victim-friendly site, and I respect and celebrate that. I am relieved that assailants have been detained and arrested in this case. I hold the shooter fully responsible for this heinous crime against an innocent child. But as an intelligent, thinking person, I have to say I have some issues with what the public has been presented with this case. Most bothersome to me is the uncut interview with SW, and then the subsequent arrest of Antonio's father, and his statements regarding SW's blame in this case. I honestly realize that emotions are all over the place, and I personally know people who have lost loved ones to violent crime. I just don't get some of the statements..example: SW said she was encouraged to get out more for walks by Antonio's father, then later I read that Antonio's father is blaming SW for the death of their son, because of where she walked that morning?

I still maintain there is much more to this story. No, SW is not to blame for Antonio's death: the shooter is. But I think the residents of that area, as well as the public reading this horrible story would like to know the whole truth. I have suspected, but have been reticent to post here, that there is more to the story,<modsnip>. I can understand the father going through an anger reaction, and blaming SW unjustly. I just don't get the LOGIC behind the specific accusations- even taking into account a state of shock.

The police have been adamant about wanting to know the motive. That speaks volumes to me. They haven't just kept quiet and let Sherry's story of an attempted robbery run unchecked. They have repeatedly expressed interest in discovering the motive.

I think once the motive is unveiled we will see at least one more arrest. JMO

I agree there is more to the story. I don't think this was about robbery gone wrong. I think she was targeted for some reason. <modsnip>. I think possibly this was retaliation for her anti-drug campaigning.

What anti-drug campaigning? She supposedly had some issues with some woman supposedly over that woman's drug use.
That's hardly makes her an anti-drug campaigner.
Her older son was killed, but his killer was never charged-police decided that the older son was killed in sef-defense. I haven't seen any msm sources that this was in any way drug related.
By the way she was using pain meds-it came out during today's interview with Piers. Could this suspect have somehow found out that she had pain meds?
That said, I would not be surprised if this was in fact just random robbery gone bad.
I've seen no evidence so far that she was specifically targeted.

I still maintain there is much more to this story. No, SW is not to blame for Antonio's death: the shooter is. But I think the residents of that area, as well as the public reading this horrible story would like to know the whole truth....

<snipped by me>

I just don't get the LOGIC behind the specific accusations- even taking into account a state of shock.

Snapdragon, I am in complete agreement with your post. The ILLOGIC of many of the reported events/conversations continues to bother me, plus the multiple contradictions reported in the news--'it's a safe neighborhood, nothing like this ever happens around here' vs. 'people going by at all hours, break-ins, and shots in the night'...'she was reclusive, feared for her life' vs. 'she was out walking her baby every day'):

Wally Mathis&#8217; home of 10 years sits on Ellis Street in the next block from where Antonio was slain.

His friends Santiago and West didn&#8217;t have the means to buy a car themselves, Mathis said, so he and Frank Van Delinde bought a used Buick together and sold it to them on time.

&#8220;They paid every week, never missed a payment, until they paid it off,&#8217;&#8217; Mathis said.

Ellis Street has become the thoroughfare between public housing to the west and Dixville to east.

Mathis said that he hears people going by at all hours, there have been break-ins, some unreported and sometimes he hears shots in the night.

But it was the shots at 9:15 Thursday morning in broad daylight that changed so much.

&#8220;I can&#8217;t fathom it, shooting a baby in a stroller, asleep,&#8217;&#8217; he said.

But people adjust. They&#8217;re out walking Union Street again, riding their bicycles and sitting on their porches, but one scene will be missing.

&#8220;Most every day, you&#8217;d see her out strolling the baby,&#8217;&#8217; Mathis said of West.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia...#ixzz2OaiQ6bKa

Nothing like this ever happened her appears to be an accurate statement-I don't think babies are regularly being killed by being shot in the face in that neighborhood.
Different people say different things. This really has nothing to do with the woman whose baby was killed.

I also believe she may have been specifically targeted, and the baby killed intentionally. I don't believe the baby was killed simply b/c mom didn't hand over her purse. If a cold-blooded killer wanted her purse that bad, he could've/would've killed the mom for it, also leaving no verbal witness to his crime. He was in close proximity to her (she didn't run off from the stroller, in fact she was said to have hovered over it at one point)--he'd have plugged her quickly in the head, grabbed the purse, and run off before a scene could be created with multiple gunshots.

Also, if he'd only wanted to save face as a 'tough gangbanger,' he could've just wounded the baby in the leg (as he did the mom) rather than shoot him between the eyes (execution shot)--the personal legal risk would be far less with wounding his victims rather than killing one (the nonverbal one, no less). None of the perp's increasingly ramped-up actions resulted in his getting the purse, though he could easily have snatched it right after shooting the baby if it was all that important to him--which is why I don't believe robbery was the true motive in this crime.

JMO.

Nothing like this ever happened her appears to be an accurate statement-I don't think babies are regularly being killed by being shot in the face in that neighborhood.

Babies aren't being shot in the face regularly in any neighborhood across the USA. So I don't think people's comments as reported in media specifically refer to that one heinous action, but are a more general comment as to their perception of crime and/or shootings in the area. Some say yes, we've got it; others say no. Probably it's like the locals have said--it's there but kept under wraps due to that area being a tourist spot. So some of the locals in the better parts of town might not even be aware of it.

There's a new update on a site I just ran across with the 15 year old's Facebook page. I'm still learning what links I can and can't post if their name is mentioned.
Is it okay to post now?

I also believe she may have been specifically targeted, and the baby killed intentionally. I don't believe the baby was killed simply b/c mom didn't hand over her purse. If a cold-blooded killer wanted her purse that bad, he could've/would've killed the mom for it, also leaving no verbal witness to his crime. He was in close proximity to her (she didn't run off from the stroller, in fact she was said to have hovered over it at one point)--he'd have plugged her quickly in the head, grabbed the purse, and run off before a scene could be created with multiple gunshots.

Also, if he'd only wanted to save face as a 'tough gangbanger,' he could've just wounded the baby in the leg (as he did the mom) rather than shoot him between the eyes (execution shot)--the personal legal risk would be far less with wounding his victims rather than killing one (the nonverbal one, no less). None of the perp's increasingly ramped-up actions resulted in his getting the purse, though he could easily have snatched it right after shooting the baby if it was all that important to him--which is why I don't believe robbery was the true motive in this crime.

JMO.

Good post. I believe I'm coming around to a different way of thinking.

Little Antonio liked to watch cartoons too. :(

Edit- I need caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As compassionate humans, it is natural that we want to think there is MORE to this....that there must be a motive, or the Mother must share some tiny bit of the blame. We simply cannot fathom that there exists a subculture among our youth where someone barely an adult himself...can shoot an infant in the face in such a cool and detached manner. The Baby Killer does not even sound enraged, does he...just annoyed that there is no money to be gotten.

I think of Casey Anthony here...and her value system that we saw on her Facebook and Myspace...and then I read these Facebook pages, with the proud values...and IMO, the complete late of empathy for any other human and the complete self absorption is the same.

On one hand , for decades we have thrown money into youth programs but at the same time, our culture has embraced violence, profanity, near-*advertiser censored* and glorification of gamg culture...in videos, TV programs and music directed at our children. So one is canceled out by the other.

Why do these Facebook pages all have the same vile undertone? Because that is what makes a young person feel IMPORTANT, powerful, "hot" in the culture we live in. This is the special language and morality that is "cool." We can keep funding these programs until we go broke as a society...but until we look at the culture all around us...it's ludicrous.

Killing this Baby made these two BIG SHOTS in their subculture...that is the "motive." It made them look "hot" to others like them. It made them "important."

Simple as that.

We have more arrest this morning. Elkins mother and sister, off to find the link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member