GA - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 10 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, 14 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

"No arguments were heard for or against bond - that will be left to an as-yet-unscheduled full hearing before Judge Scott McAfee, who is overseeing the RICO case involving Floyd, Donald Trump and 17 other co-defendants.

But Judge Emily Richardson, in making an initial bond determination, determined Floyd would be a flight risk and a risk to commit additional felonies if out on bail.

[snip]

It's not yet clear why Floyd, unlike the other 18 co-defendants in the Georgia case, didn't have a prearranged bond before turning himself in - though it may be connected to the federal charge.

[snip]

Floyd said he had requested a public defender and was denied, though it was unclear why. The judge informed him he could hire legal representation if he doesn't qualify for a public defender, though Floyd said he believed it would cost him tens of thousands to retain a lawyer, given the charges he faces, and he said that he could not afford to go into such debt as he takes care of his daughter.

It's unclear when Floyd might appear before Judge McAfee, and if he will represent himself in doing so."

Optics are everything and even the Judge went after DA Willis for her political bias.

As the Judge noted in the link:

“It’s a ‘What are you thinking?’ moment,” Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said, according to CNN. “The optics are horrific.”

“Using the title of your office and having on social media that you, as this political office holder, are holding a fundraiser for the opponent of someone that this political office is investigating, I don’t know that it’s an actual conflict, but I use that phrase: ‘What were you thinking?’” the judge said.

JMO
Thanks for posting. I think it’s important and absolutely relevant to this thread. imo

Thank goodness that justice doesn't hang in the balance based on popularity contests, but rather deals with facts.

Yes, and I know most of us have faith that “one juror” will not be swayed by irrelevant attacks on Fani Willis, attempting to paint the grand jury’s indictments as under the control of her “political agenda.” For one thing, biased jurors will be eliminated by the questionnaire or voir dire and the judge will not allow the prior opinions expressed by Willis to be brought up in court. All of these defendants have been indicted for actions, not speech alone. But we can expect these attacks to continue because what else have Trump apologists got?
JMO

Apparently these fake electors were unable to think for themselves and assess the ethics/morality of the actions Trump and his people told them to take. That defense hasn’t worked well from the Nuremberg trials to the present day. And no, I am not comparing Trump to Hitler so don’t even go there!
JMO

ETA—Deleted snark
They knew and know better. It's a case of FAFA.

As a matter of fact, on 6 December 2020 that illegality of any such move was laid out by the Great State of Georgia ... along with the pointing out that:

Republican Brian Kemp issued a joint statement Sunday with Republican Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, saying it would violate state law for the General Assembly to name electors instead of following the current state law that calls for the governor to certify electors after results are certified.

“Any attempt by the legislature to retroactively change that process for the Nov. 3rd election would be unconstitutional and immediately enjoined by the courts, resulting in a long legal dispute and no short-term resolution,” the two said in their statement.

One must be really stupid to think that it would be illegal for the State Legislature to do such, but not their own unelected, unappointed butts.

Last edited:

Arguing that he was acting in an official capacity as a federal officer, while serving as Donald Trump’s White House Chief of Staff, Monday a federal judge will consider Mark Meadow’s request for his case to be moved to federal court.

However, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis argues the charges the former North Carolina congressman faces stem from his actions as a campaign advisor during an alleged attempt to overturn Georgia’s presidential election results.

Yes, and I know most of us have faith that “one juror” will not be swayed by irrelevant attacks on Fani Willis, attempting to paint the grand jury’s indictments as under the control of her “political agenda.” For one thing, biased jurors will be eliminated by the questionnaire or voir dire and the judge will not allow the prior opinions expressed by Willis to be brought up in court. All of these defendants have been indicted for actions, not speech alone. But we can expect these attacks to continue because what else have Trump apologists got?
JMO
RBBM

I believe it's testament to just how strong a case she has against him.

Harrison Floyd, a co-defendant of former President Trump in the election interference case in Fulton County, Georgia, makes a virtual appearance in court and will remain in custody pending a bond hearing

Wow! She considers him a flight risk yet the guy sounds like he can't afford a private attorney. The Republican Party needs to step in.

JMO

Thanks for posting. I think it’s important and absolutely relevant to this thread. imo
Yes. The Judge was not happy with DA Willis. iirc, Judge McBurney presided over the grand jury proceeding that led to the indictment.

JMO

I find it pretty interesting that Powell filed for a speedy trial - it's a clear break from her co-defendants and I'm sure their attorneys aren't best pleased. With Ken Chesebro, my feeling was the he was trying to catch Willis out and it obviously burned him instead but watching that play out I wonder why she believes it's in her best interest to rush ahead. Let me know if someone works it out.

I find it pretty interesting that Powell filed for a speedy trial - it's a clear break from her co-defendants and I'm sure their attorneys aren't best pleased. With Ken Chesebro, my feeling was the he was trying to catch Willis out and it obviously burned him instead but watching that play out I wonder why she believes it's in her best interest to rush ahead. Let me know if someone works it out.
Powell is a wildcard, imo. In a previous case, she used as a defense that her statements were absurd and nobody should believe them:

“Plaintiffs themselves characterize the statements at issue as 'wild accusations' and 'outlandish claims,'" her lawyers wrote. "They are repeatedly labeled 'inherently improbable' and even 'impossible.'"

I can picture her putting up no defense, and claiming the state didn't make a case against her. That approach would fit with a speedy trial - no need to prepare anything. idk

Arguing that he was acting in an official capacity as a federal officer, while serving as Donald Trump’s White House Chief of Staff, Monday a federal judge will consider Mark Meadow’s request for his case to be moved to federal court.

However, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis argues the charges the former North Carolina congressman faces stem from his actions as a campaign advisor during an alleged attempt to overturn Georgia’s presidential election results.
BBM. What campaign was he advising? The campaign was over. Biden won.

JMO

Can you post the gist, please. Elon has blocked me, even though I could read without a membership until a few weeks ago. This has happened to several of us, so we need a translator. :)
Greg Bluestein
Aug 25, 2023
@bluestein

Tamar Hallerman
@TamarHallerman

Pastor Stephen Cliffgard Lee dressed the part for his surrender today. With his booking, all 19 defendants have turned themselves in

(There is a photo of the pastor wearing his clerical collar.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper