GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that if the roomate was a person of interest, we would have heard that he was being sought by LE with a description. He may only be "missing" to RB and his family, every one else is aware of and satisfied with his whereabouts. If it was actually a "set up" as SB alluded to on his FB, then logically RB would have immeditely implicated the roomate to LE and they would have at least followed up on the roomate.

I am curious as to why/what will take months of evidence gathering yet provided enough right away to make an arrest...I DO think they know they have the right person, just wondering what they found so quickly (a fingerprint match? bloodly items?) yet still requires "months" of evidence gathering.

Only because we see so many cases (endless, it seems) where there is a definte POI yet no arrests. Clearly, LE has some solid evidence linking him directly to the crime (IMO), but expect much more that will take a while to develop? Still, months? Just seems odd to me. Nothing really should take months anymore, in a child murder. JMO

I think the main reason is because there was so much trash in the bin. They would have to go through every bag to make sure there was no evidence that was thrown away with her.

The rest in not directed at you or your post cluciano63:)

Someone mentioned up thread how they got his DNA. It has been stated in the media that they followed him for several days. All they had to do was collect something he discarded or left behind. Cig butt, empty soda can, ect.

With the arrest being done so quickly I think they have solid evidence. Most likely DNA and/or murder weapon. Didn't they say they were waiting on preliminary results for DNA and the next day he was arrested? After following so many cases here with lack of evidence and no arrest even when they are sure they know who did it leads me to believe they have the right person. That comment the director made also about them being confident they have the right person is another reason.

There was a rape of a 12 year old girl in my area recently they used palm prints to catch him:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Police-Shoreline-man-admitted-to-raping-girl-2390619.php

King County deputies responded to the area and searched for the attacker, but did not locate anyone. Using a new fingerprint system able to analyze palm prints, though, investigators identified the man as a suspect in the attack.

This man looked normal also although he did have a criminal history. I have found it is best not to put a certain face on a rapist, killer or sicko. I was looking for a friend a year back on google. He is nice looking, kind and all around good guy. I found a arrest in the news about him having over 1,000 child *advertiser censored* images on his computer. I was floored! They come in all different shapes and sizes.

I'm not sure if you all followed the recent case in New York, Leiby Kletzky 8, was murdered by someone in his community. Someone he thought was safe to go with that would help him..

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/14/childs-grisly-murder-shocks-jewish-brooklyn-neighborhood/

"Borough Park is a largely Hasidic, Orthodox neighborhood - most people have beards and side curls," he said. "Often kids will trust someone who looks like their father or looks like their friend or like their teachers and say, 'Oh, this guy must be safe."

"This is not the case, never should have been the case," he continued. "You've got to be very, very careful. You've got to teach your kids. You've got to talk to your kids."

We can never be too safe imo like the old saying goes "don't judge a book by it's cover"

All MOO :)

FWIW and JMHO and all dat der - I honestly believe that the roommate is a vital, key witness and provided LE with ALOT of information concering RB - possibly telling LE where his clothes were and, if the roommate was home when RB got back to the apt - could definitely convey to LE what RB's demeanor was at that time.

I think the roommate is laying low and that LE is quite aware of where he is and why.

But that, again is JMHO

I don't mind sharing! I found WS from googling Jorelys' case, I tend to pass right over media entries because IMO they are shallow and leave more ? than answers, forums like these is where the real talks happen! I am pretty sure I lurked here during some of the CA trial as well. I first found out about the case from flyers up at local stores. On Monday, there was traffic and helicopters, and (big TY to cherokee co. schools) Monday afternoon the school bus dropped every child off at the parent's door instead of the bus stop (where of course I was waiting like most parents)

Will I attend? I want to, but I do have 1 elementary and 1 middle school little girls who have been devastated by this case, they have been making cards for the siblings and we have been to the complex to leave flowers as well, and I plan to feel them out this PM to decide for sure if we will attend the service or vigil. There is such a fine line between wanting your children to appreciate the danger out there, and wanting to protect them from the pain of it at the same time. We are a bilingual family and I help w a local charity that caters to the spanish speaking community, so I am planning on some outreach that involves basic child security guidelines...I admit that there is a false sense of security in many local communities, because it is COMMON to see unsupervised children in area playgrounds and parks, most neighborhoods and apartments here have both. Note I say common, not acceptable. Sorry for long post, but the answer is I am not sure if we will attend, we have been right in the middle of this all week now and I just want my children close to me and comfortable either way.

Thank you. You are a wise woman to consider how this will effect those little girls. Sounds like you have done what you could in a very hands on way. Thank you for representing Canton in a way that is good for the community. I enjoyed your posts and please keep us in the know. Thank you again.

A lot of you have followed these cases longer than I have. I'm wondering how common it is for someone to just SNAP! As in no previous tell tale signs, no animal abuse, no criminal history, etc. all outward appearances/relationships seem normal and one day they just snap and commit a horrible crime.

I know we don't know that's the case here yet, but just wondering how common it is...or do most have skeletons that come out?

nine times out of ten, there will be red flags in his past. It is very unusual for someone to just snap and commit this sort of act.

I agree with tlcox but want to add that quite often the red flags are only truly obvious in hindsight. Scott Peterson and Casey Anthony had no criminal record and a lot of initial support. It was only after the fact that everything was laid out and came together like a toddler's puzzle. But if you asked the people who knew them before if they would ever do anything like this? I'll bet you'd get virtually 100% NO.

This is important if someone can help me with.Does anyone know if there was any other murders in Georgia for a few years before this similar to her murder?

I have lived here for 32 years and been a crime junkie virtually all of that time. I can't think of a single crime that is similar. On NCMEC, there is not a single child listed under 14 who is not believed to be in the custody of a family member.

As for unsolved child murders, Levi Frady was killed in 1997 not all that far from Jorelys. But it was 14 years ago, he was a white male, and he was disposed of in a completely different manner.

Honestly, since Wayne Williams, I don't remember anything that even comes close to this nightmare. Am I forgetting someone, GA peeps?

Not so big on guns up here, but we love our dawgs (and our Hogs! lol)

FWIW I do not have a gun. I do have an alarm system and two doggies. I was always afraid I would shoot myself in the foot. But, as things seem to be getting worse I am thinking about getting one. Just thinking what would I do if the alarm went off and the intruder kept on coming in. My dogs are small so I really don't have any protection if my home was invaded. I also travel to visit my children and a gun would be a comfort driving long distances alone. As far as the tenants in the JB case I can understand their apprehension, but it could happen anywhere. Down here in Texas we have a huge problem with wild hogs. They are very invasive and very dangerous. My friend had one attack her car and caused some major damage. jmo

<snipped from angelmom>

. . . but want to add that quite often the red flags are only truly obvious in hindsight.

THIS. I think this will explain the lack of criminal record. I truly believe this perp has harmed before, I just don't think he's ever been caught. At the time, the red flags may have been just niggling little thoughts or "hmmm" moments of people around him. But in hindsight, may add up to more when seen as a sum, rather than individual parts.

OOH! Also, I grew up in the GA sticks in a really messed up family that hung out with a lot of other messed up families. There was a lot of drug use, a lot of poverty, lots of legal issues, and no one really had any education/skills.

Stuff that I realize NOW as sexually inappropriate/abusive? Like, older boys dragging younger girls into closets and touching them, etc.? IF that behavior is caught, it's quickly punished and swept under the rug. Mostly, no one was paying attention, so I, at least, grew up thinking it was normal.

I'd bet my last can of Who Hash that he's molested at least one child in his family that doesn't realize it was abuse, and if his family knows, they don't see it as abuse, either.

/Again, guessing based on growing up in the area.

:fireworks::welcome::fireworks:

Just a thought....SURELY the GBI would have checked out ALL the vacant apartments. SURELY. Right???!!!

http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/attorneys-brunn-will-enter-not-guilty-plea

Meanwhile, the &#65279;Canton Police Department&#65279; said today that it would not discuss the case publicly.

"The prosecution of the case is way too important to jeopardize," police spokeswoman Candy Worthy said. "We realize that people are curious, but our main focus (is) the ongoing investigation that is still being conducted, and the prosecution of Ryan Brunn. By putting too much information out to the media and the public, we run the risk of having to change the trial location if a trial were requested by the defendant."

jorelys-rivera.230.jpg

God's newest angel

Hello..new registered user, reading this thread from day one..had no idea the registering process was so tedious..I have wanted to throw my 2 cents in a few times so please forgive the lack of quotes I am responding to, I am hoping everyone is familiar with the post history in this forum so everything will make sense.
Quick background, I live here (Canton), my daughters attended same school as Jorelys, I know the area very well. We are all heartbroken.

Thanks everyone for great posts, case file work, etc..best resource online!

re. apartments in this area. While waiting for my house to be built, I stayed in a gated community very close to and very similar to the ones in this case. I felt comfortable and safe, maintenance was very visable and around frequently, we had the same trash compactor setup. After moving into my home, I looked back at the reviews about my former complex and they were just as bad as the ones on thie case complex. I agree 100% that the apartments obviously had their issues, but if you are looking for a nice apartment, built in the last 10 years, in this general area, they are all about the same. This was by no means the "Canton ghetto". This area is mostly middle class suburbia, not "backwoods southern town".

Second, quickly on the adoption issues spoken of in forum #2..I do not think anyone was implying that adopted children have issues, I think the point is that neglected and abused children can develop issues, and many neglected and abused children end up in foster care, and many foster children are then adopted. The root being the neglect and abuse, and the fact that they do end up placed with new families is a result, not a starting point.

Re. being at the dumpster Sunday night, if that was him, my logical conclusion was that he was there to make sure as much trash as possible from the general dumping area was compacted into the holding tank, therefore making anything he has disposed of (including other evidence as well as the obvious) was further along in the container and more compacted in the container. Highly doubt he was doing the initial disposal at this time.

Last opinion then I will blend in with the discussion (sorry for long post, thanks for tolerance)...the fact that the GBI was brought in quickly leads to my current opinion that they have covered their bases before arresting RB. The chances of a botched case are slim with the GBI compared to local LE. When I first saw RB's arrest my first thought was that on some level I wanted it to be the old creeper guy with a known history, and how it hurts on so many levels for it to appear to be a younger guy who (from all we know at this point) still had a chance of a normal life ahead of him.

Great post. Thank you for your local insights. :welcome::fireworks:

I feel the the police are going back to every place RB has ever stayed to see if he has somehow slipped through their sight on other possible victims. Hopefully others will come forward that he has victimized.

lol, not implying you were unaware or new, but I kinda wanted to throw that stuff in about amanda's archives for those lurkers down there who are following along with us and haven't joined yet. ;)

Scary thought about the whole complex full of residence running round with guns now. eek.

Well now, are any of you familiar with the gun law in Kennesaw, Georgia? This IS the South, y'all! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia

Gun lawIn 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21][13]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b)

Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

FWIW and JMHO and all dat der - I honestly believe that the roommate is a vital, key witness and provided LE with ALOT of information concering RB - possibly telling LE where his clothes were and, if the roommate was home when RB got back to the apt - could definitely convey to LE what RB's demeanor was at that time.

I think the roommate is laying low and that LE is quite aware of where he is and why.

But that, again is JMHO

I agree. If the room mate was truly 'missing', then they would have a BOLO out on him already. I believe that they interviewed the room mate very early on, and he gave them some important information. I am sure he wanted to stay out of the way from that point on. Who wouldn't ?

For some reason I just can't get this case out of my mind. There are so many questions and so many things don't make sense to me?

How does this happen with nobody seeing him coming or going from that apt., esp. at a time of day when people are getting off work?
Why when he leaves the apt would he not put a lockbox on it, or at least lock it? He had to know the police would search vacant apartments? Leaving it unlocked when the others had a lockbox on them is so obvious.
How did he get her to the trash? And when? And nobody recalls seeing this?
Where was the roommate?
Was the roommate home when he came home?
He had to be bloody...did he shower in the vacant apt? Were there extra clothes there? Surely someone would have noticed him in bloody clothing? Did anyone see him washing clothes? Are we sure he would be covered in blood?
How many times was she stabbed? (sorry!)
Was everything in the apt. ahead of time?
Why would he make the previous comments about someone could grab a child easily and take them into a vacant apt. and then do it? Wouldn't that make him an obvious suspect?
Is he that dumb?
Did he want to get caught?
Why didn't he leave the area?
Why get rid of her at the apt complex, why not take her somewhere else?

I suppose if you're a murder you're not a rational thinker...but so many things don't add up?

I agree. If the room mate was truly 'missing', then they would have a BOLO out on him already. I believe that they interviewed the room mate very early on, and he gave them some important information. I am sure he wanted to stay out of the way from that point on. Who wouldn't ?
GBI Director Vernon Keenan said there was "sufficient evidence" to secure an arrest. and "This is a mammoth case"

I just hope that the room mate is the one helping keep this case glued together.

http://canton-ga.patch.com/articles/attorneys-brunn-will-enter-not-guilty-plea

Meanwhile, the &#65279;Canton Police Department&#65279; said today that it would not discuss the case publicly.

"The prosecution of the case is way too important to jeopardize," police spokeswoman Candy Worthy said. "We realize that people are curious, but our main focus (is) the ongoing investigation that is still being conducted, and the prosecution of Ryan Brunn. By putting too much information out to the media and the public, we run the risk of having to change the trial location if a trial were requested by the defendant."

very wise!!! I believe the constant reporting & speculation by MSM only muddies the waters & taints a possible Jury Pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kjeezy123