GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I come back to the intensity of the attack. Seems like the work of someone with military experience or martial arts training, and not necessarily a male.

When Jaime Closs was kidnapped, the "blitz" attack on the home, killing both parents, most of us on WS were pretty sure it was a guy with military experience, who somehow knew the family.

In the end, it was a loser guy, who basically lived in his parents basement, with glasses. He didn't know the family, but saw Jaime and was obsessed with her.

If she had not escaped, she would have never been found. The police had no clue.

So, you just never know...

No, because professional knives have a cross hatch grip. Gloves would actually slow a professional down. The only time folks wear gloves in a professional kitchen is for shucking oysters. It is a metal mesh glove that the knife won't cut if it slips.

Or gloves for sanitary purposes.

The above may be true re gloves use by some chefs, but training, regional differences, the prep needed, or the nature of the cuisine served also plays a role. BBQ kitchens are messy and surfaces get slick.

And some professional chefs learn how to butcher and absolutely use gloves.

(Source: friend who went to culinary school.)

When Jaime Closs was kidnapped, the "blitz" attack on the home, killing both parents, most of us on WS were pretty sure it was a guy with military experience, who somehow knew the family.

In the end, it was a loser guy, who basically lived in his parents basement, with glasses. He didn't know the family, but saw Jaime and was obsessed with her.

If she had not escaped, she would have never been found. The police had no clue.

^^^ Agreed— My mind keeps wandering to cases like the Lanz brothers. Both of them carried out multiple bizarre, “blitz” attacks, & both were somehow able to stab POLICE officers repeatedly in the neck and face in the matter of seconds. One of them just stepped off a bus & immediately started stabbing an officer outside the pentagon, & was even able to take the officer’s service weapon. From what I understand, they just seemed like “regular” kids to those who knew them, like just lacrosse bros from Acworth.
If they could get that close to officers who had tactical training & multiple weapons within reach, how would that go down for a person who is just walking down the street with no way to defend themselves?
I just think anything is possible if a person is caught off guard & the perpetrator is that unpredictably violent/psychotic.
JMO

Last edited:

We really never do know. OTOH, sometimes we make good deductions--I've seen it a lot on WS.

Such different crimes here. Jaime C's parents, not JC, were shot to death as opposed to being methodically stabbed. JC was a 13 y/o kidnapping victim, not a mature woman who was viciously murdered along with her pit bull. And not to minimize what JC suffered, it seems from reports of court docs that the kidnapper didn't assault JC physically.

We really never do know. OTOH, sometimes we make good deductions--I've seen it a lot on WS.

Such different crimes here. Jaime C's parents, not JC, were shot to death as opposed to being methodically stabbed. JC was a 13 y/o kidnapping victim, not a mature woman who was viciously murdered along with her pit bull. And not to minimize what JC suffered, it seems from reports of court docs that the kidnapper didn't assault JC physically.

Incorrect, the criminal is in a sex offender prison in New Mexico.

However, I was using that crime as an example how we can think one thing about a perpetrator, and yet the reality may be completely different.

Atlanta police say probe into Katie Janness murder moving in 'right direction'

It says in this article, dated two weeks ago, that the police are still tracking down leads, and it is not a "closed case".

I don't know, it seems super creepy to me that a killer like this is not caught yet. I can't figure out why the police stated that it was safe to go to the park! WTH?!

Incorrect, the criminal is in a sex offender prison in New Mexico....

Sorry, that's not why he's in a sex offender prison. Multiple sources corroborate that no sexual assault was committed by Jake Patterson during or after he kidnapped Jayme Closs. An example from Rolling Stone (paywall): "....no rape or sexual assault-related charges have been filed...." (BBM)

More about Patterson here: Jayme Closs kidnapper Jake Patterson fought New Mexico inmate

Back to KJ's case for me.

The above may be true re gloves use by some chefs, but training, regional differences, the prep needed, or the nature of the cuisine served also plays a role. BBQ kitchens are messy and surfaces get slick.

And some professional chefs learn how to butcher and absolutely use gloves.

(Source: friend who went to culinary school.)

This (me) livestock-raiser, butcher, and chef concur.

Incorrect, the criminal is in a sex offender prison in New Mexico.

However, I was using that crime as an example how we can think one thing about a perpetrator, and yet the reality may be completely different.

Atlanta police say probe into Katie Janness murder moving in 'right direction'

It says in this article, dated two weeks ago, that the police are still tracking down leads, and it is not a "closed case".

I don't know, it seems super creepy to me that a killer like this is not caught yet. I can't figure out why the police stated that it was safe to go to the park! WTH?!
This is sort of why I think they already know who it is and they are under 24 hour surveillance. If APD really didn’t know who, and there was a chance it was some random serial killer that could strike at a moments notice, and this person really posed a risk to the public, I think they may inform people to be safe in the park. I mean….I’m torn because part of me believes the APD is slacking on information big time, but another part of me really believes this was a targeted attack by someone really close to her. They don’t want to kill anyone else, she was the intended target.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Well I think what people don’t understand is that they are going to DNA swab everyone and anyone who knew KJ. Rather they have DNA on her or not. At the time they were swabbing, they were still collecting evidence. They swab because there MAY be a chance of them finding DNA on her, so they are just being precautious. This is all part of a murder investigation.

Also, there was DNA on her, it just wasn’t a full sample. There wasn’t enough to test. The investigators literally said that exactly in their press conference. So, he’s not wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Well I think what people don’t understand is that they are going to DNA swab everyone and anyone who knew KJ. Rather they have DNA on her or not. At the time they were swabbing, they were still collecting evidence. They swab because there MAY be a chance of them finding DNA on her, so they are just being precautious. This is all part of a murder investigation.

Also, there was DNA on her, it just wasn’t a full sample. There wasn’t enough to test. The investigators literally said that exactly in their press conference. So, he’s not wrong.
In the article I read, the retired detective, who had consulted with the lead APD detective on this case, said there was no DNA that he was aware of. So I don't think we know if there was or was not DNA or what the nature of it is.

In the article I read, the retired detective, who had consulted with the lead APD detective on this case, said there was no DNA that he was aware of. So I don't think we know if there was or was not DNA or what the nature of it is.
I’m pretty sure that the actual detective on the case said “there was no usable dna” during the latest press conference. However, I could be wrong. I’d have to go back and watch the video.

I’m pretty sure that the actual detective on the case said “there was no usable dna” during the latest press conference. However, I could be wrong. I’d have to go back and watch the video.
This was the quote I saw.
“There is no full sample of DNA, there is no DNA from what I know to test, so this is really going to be a case, I think, where old school detective work where leather hits the pavement,” said retired Atlanta homicide detective Vince Velazquez, who consulted with the lead detective on this case."

'We are getting close': Atlanta police say Piedmont Park murder investigation still 'very active'

headed in the opposite direction and headed within one block of partners work? she ends up at park?
none of it makes sense

Or maybe she just ran into a friend? Either way (meeting or happenstance) the person could be a friend to both EC and KJ... and this person followed her to the park. All just guesses on my part.

ETA: Nothing makes sense in this case :(

Last edited:
EC said she left work about 12:30 right? and was surprised that KJ wasn't home when she got there. But with KJ seen headed to the park at 12:09, and having gotten all the way to CA gate, she wouldn't have been back to the apartment at 12:30 even if she hadn't been attacked.

While glancing at the autopsy again, Item #3 under Blunt Force Injuries have me a bit puzzled. I keep wondering the origin of these areas of blood and if they were similar in size? Would the position of the body (i.e. leaning forward) cause these areas of blood or ?? It's likely an unimportant detail in the scheme of things.

3. Upon initial examination of the body, two areas of blood are noted on the medial surface of each thigh. There are no underlying injuries in this area when the blood is removed.

I immediately thought the blood was transfer from the killer's knees as he used his body weight to hold her legs down while freeing up his hands. I have absolutely no idea if that is really what it is from. It was just my initial thought.

I immediately thought the blood was transfer from the killer's knees as he used his body weight to hold her legs down while freeing up his hands. I have absolutely no idea if that is really what it is from. It was just my initial thought.

This possibility certainly makes sense... particularly in consideration with the carving marks on the torso.

I know for many, details like this seem callous to discuss. However, imo, speculating about the weapons, injuries, and how this brutal murder took place, the autopsy is the only solid info we actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4