GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some of the first reports from local fox5news. The 1st video at the beginning of the article has some shots of the divers & area with crime scene tape near the lake. Scrolling down there are 2 more video reports from Aunjelique Proctor showing the area. There is the dirt trail on the street side of the public RR leading to the meadows walkway seen over her left shoulder that I theorized the jogger may have gone before turning around & exiting at CA & 10th. As @fred&edna posted above, #878, something must have been seen or discovered to get a dive team out Wed afternoon.

JMO

Here are some of the first reports from local fox5news. The 1st video at the beginning of the article has some shots of the divers & area with crime scene tape near the lake. Scrolling down there are 2 more video reports from Aunjelique Proctor showing the area. There is the dirt trail on the street side of the public RR leading to the meadows walkway seen over her left shoulder that I theorized the jogger may have gone before turning around & exiting at CA & 10th. As @fred&edna posted above, #878, something must have been seen or discovered to get a dive team out Wed afternoon.

JMO

Thank you for posting these video reminders!

Moo..since person seems knife friendly . They could taken out vocal cords if dogs throat was cut. Moo
I’ve somehow never heard of this case until tonight and I’m glad to see many threads here. Anyways, this was my initial thought as well. I’m not sure how else you could disable a dog (let alone a pitbull) unless you tasered them or something of the like. I also feel that Jennifer could have suffered the neck wound early on during the attack and from my understanding, you can live for about 60 seconds to a few (<5) minutes which would give credence to the belief that she was alive for some aspects of the attack since I believe it was reported there was hemorrhaging found during her autopsy. There’s no way you could suffer such wounds and remain silent, even if someone threatened you. My other initial thought was that some oral injury had occurred to her to prevent her from calling out but her neck wound seems to be the only thing.

Additionally, I had also read in a previous thread that investigators had taken a tree branch from the scene. I’d assume with a jugular cut or any other artery cut, the blood splatter would be incredible and perhaps spurting upward if she were already on the ground, so I believe it would make sense that environmental factors were recovered for the investigation. Not that they were necessarily used to hide her body. If someone went to these inhumane lengths, why would they consciously hide what they’ve just done?
Just my thoughts.

This case is absolutely horrifying and I hope the perp is captured soon. I’m terrified tonight and I’m miles away in TX. May Jennifer and brave Bowie rest in peace.

ETA: I read someone mentioned 911 calls from EC and footage of the jogger doing his quick u-turn from the area. Any idea where I could find such?

Last edited:
I’ve somehow never heard of this case until tonight and I’m glad to see many threads here. Anyways, this was my initial thought as well. I’m not sure how else you could disable a dog (let alone a pitbull) unless you tasered them or something of the like. I also feel that Jennifer could have suffered the neck wound early on during the attack and from my understanding, you can live for about 60 seconds to a few (<5) minutes which would give credence to the belief that she was alive for some aspects of the attack since I believe it was reported there was hemorrhaging found during her autopsy. There’s no way you could suffer such wounds and remain silent, even if someone threatened you. My other initial thought was that some oral injury had occurred to her to prevent her from calling out but her neck wound seems to be the only thing.

Additionally, I had also read in a previous thread that investigators had taken a tree branch from the scene. I’d assume with a jugular cut or any other artery cut, the blood splatter would be incredible and perhaps spurting upward if she were already on the ground, so I believe it would make sense that environmental factors were recovered for the investigation. Not that they were necessarily used to hide her body. If someone went to these inhumane lengths, why would they consciously hide what they’ve just done?
Just my thoughts.

This case is absolutely horrifying and I hope the perp is captured soon. I’m terrified tonight and I’m miles away in TX. May Jennifer and brave Bowie rest in peace.

ETA: I read someone mentioned 911 calls from EC and footage of the jogger doing his quick u-turn from the area. Any idea where I could find such?
The main local news agencies in Atlanta that have covered this story:
11alivenews.com
cbs46atlantanews.com
fox5newsatlanta.com
wsbtvnews.com
Search by victim's name:
Katherine Janness or Katie Janness
Also search by victim's name on City of Atlanta Police Dept website:
atlpd.org or atlanta police blotter:
This post has the 911 call (redacted) & the pictures & videos of the 6 potential witnesses (which includes the jogger) in the sub-heading
**I must warn you that the Fulton County Medical Examiner's autopsy report that was released to the public contains VERY graphic information.
And certainly not least there are 3 other threads on Websleuths with over 800 posts containing all these links to the news reports & LE press conferences & interviews of victim's girlfriend, friends & co-workers.

Last edited:

JMO
When you look at the video of the diver in the lake and see how green that water is with algae, it is hard to figure how a diver could find ANYTHING unless he knew exactly where to look. So it makes me think that there was something specific that led the police to that portion of the lake.

I can’t open up the video of the divers on my phone. But the lake is so muddy, murky and full of algae….I wouldn’t want to put my big toe in it! Weren’t the divers at the lake for the better part of a day? Visibility for divers must have been about zilch, especially since there had been a lot of rain that summer. Does anyone know off hand, can metal detector type devices be used under water? With all the sediment that must be on the lake bottom, it seems a reasonable place to hurriedly ditch a weapon…..IMO. So given the relative closeness in proximity of the murder scene to the lake….it seems reasonable to search the lake even if no one /nothing suspicious was seen or found near the lake.

Last edited:
Sorry, multiple posts, I guess the only way to delete posts is to edit and erase??

Last edited:
Sorry for the multiple posts! I was trying to insert the quote from “PrairieWind” but as you can see…totally unsuccessful!!

When you look at the video of the diver in the lake and see how green that water is with algae, it is hard to figure how a diver could find ANYTHING unless he knew exactly where to look. So it makes me think that there was something specific that led the police to that portion of the lake.
I totally agree @PrairieWind
IMO if Lake Clara Meade was ever drained & cleaned it might solve many mysteries...Jimmy Hoffa...?lol
JMO

Just my thoughts.

I’m from Atlanta and have tried to bring up this case a few times to podcasters and on here. This case is absolutely awful. I feel like it has not gotten the exposer it deserves. The fact that the person carved the letters FAT into her is so sick and twisted it’s difficult to imagine. That neighborhood has a large gay community and theirs some speculation this could’ve been a hate crime especially since it appears she was a advocate for social justice. Who would stab a woman and her dog over 50 times and why has no one fought harder to find our?

I’m from Atlanta and have tried to bring up this case a few times to podcasters and on here. This case is absolutely awful. I feel like it has not gotten the exposer it deserves. The fact that the person carved the letters FAT into her is so sick and twisted it’s difficult to imagine. That neighborhood has a large gay community and theirs some speculation this could’ve been a hate crime especially since it appears she was a advocate for social justice. Who would stab a woman and her dog over 50 times and why has no one fought harder to find our?

IMO this is probably far-fetched. In a sporting goods store noticed these high powered crossbows. Not very large, IMO a little larger than the size of a tennis racket. The displays had triggers & gun butts like a rifle & some had high powered sight scopes, even a night vision scope.
Is it possible Bowie was attacked w/a silent crossbow from a distance?

cross.bow.with.nite.vision.sight.png
Edited by me to add pic
JMOO

Last edited:

Just my thoughts.

IMO this is probably far-fetched. In a sporting goods store noticed these high powered crossbows. Not very large, IMO a little larger than the size of a tennis racket. The displays had triggers & gun butts like a rifle & some had high powered sight scopes, even a night vision scope.

JMOO
This is why so many people thought it had to be someone she knew like her wife. I highly doubt this though. What was done to her would take someone with some strength. It hard to believe her dog wouldn’t have defended her. This is also such a high traffic area in the middle of the city they had to have not cared about being caught. My first thought has always been a serial killer maybe targeting the gay community. That is the park where they hold pride and a long time gay community where people have been known to protest against gay rights. Also, the jogger was found a cleared as a suspect

I can’t open up the video of the divers on my phone. But the lake is so muddy, murky and full of algae….I wouldn’t want to put my big toe in it! Weren’t the divers at the lake for the better part of a day? Visibility for divers must have been about zilch, especially since there had been a lot of rain that summer. Does anyone know off hand, can metal detector type devices be used under water? With all the sediment that must be on the lake bottom, it seems a reasonable place to hurriedly ditch a weapon…..IMO. So given the relative closeness in proximity of the murder scene to the lake….it seems reasonable to search the lake even if no one /nothing suspicious was seen or found near the lake.
I googled underwater metal detectors or waterproof md's & yes they do exist.
IMO

JMOO
I
This is why so many people thought it had to be someone she knew like her wife. I highly doubt this though. What was done to her would take someone with some strength. It hard to believe her dog wouldn’t have defended her. This is also such a high traffic area in the middle of the city they had to have not cared about being caught. My first thought has always been a serial killer maybe targeting the gay community. That is the park where they hold pride and a long time gay community where people have been known to protest against gay rights. Also, the jogger was found a cleared as a suspect
Interesting idea, AtlantaBourne.

And liveonelovegeorgia, Katie and Emma were neither married nor engaged though they had a strong relationship of six years, IMO. Emma and Katie loved one another and Emma would not/could not have killed her, IMO. There are though, jealous, envious persons who may have been out to correct a perceived wrong; to hurt a life that was good and worthwhile, that had a solidarity of family and beloved friends, and everyday associates-because the killer/s lacked that; to destroy the happy existence of a gay person and everyone she loved and who loved her back. I definitely believe (IMO) that the depraved individual/s knew her in a passing way or of her. He/she/they came prepared to deal with Bowie-who OF COURSE did his absolute best to protect Katie. I agree that he/she did not care too much about being caught-he/she had such overwhelming rage and or purpose in this attack that being seen was the lowest item on his/her list…until he/she was finished with his/her obscene murderous plan.

It could be a random first-time killer who picked a day and told him/herself, ‘I’m going for it tonight.’ IMO, I don’t think so-the killer/s knew too much. It could be someone who hates gay people, but again, I believe that this outlier was intent on Katie and Bowie as the targets. And, simply because this park is in a more-gay area, it does not mean anyone can identify a person there as having any particular characteristic. I believe it was an assailant/s possibly known to Katie, but who definitely knew her or of her.

I also believe that Katie’s family, close friends and everyday community of acquaintances ARE doing all they can to keep her memory alive, the APD and FBI are doing their best Every Day to find and apprehend this pathetic, angry being, and that no amount of protests or unkind words Can make them work any more diligently-BECAUSE THEY ALREADY ARE!!! All my opinion.

Last edited:
I hope LE has something with the perp's DNA. It could be the perp is not in the database. I'm just saying this because it was such a brutal assault that some DNA may have accidentally dropped onto both her deceased dog and her body. I hope one day this brutal crime can be solved. IMO it shows signs of being a hate crime. The thing is though there are people out there who will target others for whatever reason they see fit and make an excuse to be brutal. Unfortunately it happens a lot. That's why IMO I can't definitively say in my mind iif it was a hate crime or not. I understand the reasoning for the opinion because that "Fat" was sliced into the poor woman's back. I also see how very brutal this crime was. I think it was more than hate. This perp took time to do this. Its like they were happy about the carnage, the more the better. So if we overlook how brutal it was then we may not get an understanding of this perp's motives.

The Indiana State Police are currently using metal detectors to do an underwater search that pertains (apparently) to a separate case here on Websleuths so it's definitely possible to use metal detectors in this manner. It's fairly shallow water (about knee deep) in that case though and I don't know if they are using specialized ones made for underwater searches.

View attachment 365389
Edited by me to add pic
JMOO
Not as far fetched as one might think as i have come to learn here on Ws!
In the last few years there have been several murders by crossbow, strange but true..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds