GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m from Atlanta and have tried to bring up this case a few times to podcasters and on here. This case is absolutely awful. I feel like it has not gotten the exposer it deserves. The fact that the person carved the letters FAT into her is so sick and twisted it’s difficult to imagine. That neighborhood has a large gay community and theirs some speculation this could’ve been a hate crime especially since it appears she was a advocate for social justice. Who would stab a woman and her dog over 50 times and why has no one fought harder to find our?
I certainly understand that family and friends are frustrated. But Atlanta had 168 murders in 2021. Atlanta murder rates are climbing. The homicide detectives are simply overwhelmed and spread thin. The just can't devote unlimited manpower to this one crime no matter how horrible it was. I think this will be solved, But it is going to take time and maybe some help from someone who knows something or a little bit of luck.

When you look at the video of the diver in the lake and see how green that water is with algae, it is hard to figure how a diver could find ANYTHING unless he knew exactly where to look. So it makes me think that there was something specific that led the police to that portion of the lake.
The killer could have ditched his/her outer clothes/gloves in the lake (maybe in a backpack), and left the park in shorts and a T-shirt. Maybe they were dumb enough to throw the murder weapon(s) in the lake too.

I hope LE has something with the perp's DNA. It could be the perp is not in the database. I'm just saying this because it was such a brutal assault that some DNA may have accidentally dropped onto both her deceased dog and her body. I hope one day this brutal crime can be solved. IMO it shows signs of being a hate crime. The thing is though there are people out there who will target others for whatever reason they see fit and make an excuse to be brutal. Unfortunately it happens a lot. That's why IMO I can't definitively say in my mind iif it was a hate crime or not. I understand the reasoning for the opinion because that "Fat" was sliced into the poor woman's back. I also see how very brutal this crime was. I think it was more than hate. This perp took time to do this. Its like they were happy about the carnage, the more the better. So if we overlook how brutal it was then we may not get an understanding of this perp's motives.
I'm quoting my own post above because I made a statment and I think its important to add context to it. What I mean is that because some people like to create havoc, trouble, brutality so when a person is easy to target this sort of person will do so. Our victim was an activist and spoke out so that alone made her out of the ordinary or stand out and as a result she was targeted which does not cease to it being a hate crime, all I'm saying is that she was outspoken and made her a target for depravity. It happens all the time but it doesn't detract from it being a hate crime IMO. MOO. But I'm also saying don't overlook how brutal it was and the perp was in fact looking to be brutal for whatever their sick reasoning was but it was easiest to target her because she was outspoken and stood out.

In a person is easy to target this sort of person will do so. Our victim was an activist and spoke out so that alone made her out of the ordinary or stand out and as a result she was targeted which does not cease to it being a hate crime, all I'm saying is that she was outspoken and made her a target for depravity. It happens all the time but it doesn't detract from it being a hate crime IMO. MOO.
Hoping you will share some of the specific examples of Katie’s outspoken activism that you think might’ve drawn the ire of her killer—I can’t say I immediately recall anything in the reporting that characterized KJ as someone who consistently engaged in the more assertive forms of activism (beyond showing her support for various causes by occasionally volunteering, wearing shirts or paraphernalia, or donating money to pet causes) that might’ve raised someone’s hackles to the point that they killed her (unless you are describing the fact of KJ being an openly queer woman as activism?).

Hoping you will share some of the specific examples of Katie’s outspoken activism that you think might’ve drawn the ire of her killer—I can’t say I immediately recall anything in the reporting that characterized KJ as someone who consistently engaged in the more assertive forms of activism (beyond showing her support for various causes by occasionally volunteering, wearing shirts or paraphernalia, or donating money to pet causes) that might’ve raised someone’s hackles to the point that they killed her (unless you are describing the fact of KJ being an openly queer woman as activism?).
What I believe 5W’s meant by activist, if he or she doesn’t mind my opinion, is that
1. it Has been said of Katie using that word,
2. but she was not an activist in the true sense of the word.
3. She walked in the Black Lives Matter, and possibly other walks I am not aware of, she individually advocated to others for animal rights, signed petitions and donated money to protect them, as well as adopting all her pets rather than encouraging sales of pets born in puppy or kitty mills. I believe she donated to and signed petitions, also, for wildlife preservation and concern for our oceans in general.
4. And she lived her beliefs.
5. She always voted and knew about each candidate before doing so.
6. I don’t know, but it’s a possibility that she wore t-shirts at times promoting various causes close to her heart.

I still believe Katie was murdered and so inhumanely slashed over and over by someone who knew her and Bowie, who was so enraged at a Perceived wrong he or she was inflicted by Katie, that neither Bowie’s presence nor the extremely close proximity to the street or other people walking by deterred him or her. Maybe, again IMO, the killer hated her being gay and living a life she was happy with as I believe and 5W’s has suggested. To a person with flawed mental capabilities, it Could seem to him or her that living as gay and not being ashamed or Hiding it, was social activism. Those of us who think otherwise know Katie was simply being herself. (Perhaps That was the perceived injustice to the killer.)

I continue to have faith in the APD; I expect as many of you do that they Are holding back information to insure that when the case goes to trial, the lost soul who took Katie, a woman who had so much more to contribute to her community and an abundance of love and friendship to share, does not go free. That just cannot happen. And I believe those in law enforcement will not let it.

Last edited:
IMO, it's that 5th W, the Why, that stops everyone in their tracks to solving these horrific murders. Only one person can truly answer the Why, the killer. I too agree this was hate, whether directed at KJ specifically or just a deep seeded hate towards what she represented in the killer's demented mind is yet to be known. The Why only gets answered, possibly, when the killer is caught. Unfortunately, I feel the Why would be the only tip that could lead LE to the Who, IMO.
As far as social activism, EC talked about a few things in her interviews w/MSM. She played a song written & sung by KJ with the words, I will stand for you, if you stand for me...E
C also talked about how KJ would discuss social issues w/her customers until she changed their minds.
I still find it difficult to think this was a premeditated attack on KJ specifically due to EC & others interviewed stating KJ never walked the same route or walked at the same times. So how would the killer know she would be where they were at that specific time & day? That's why I feel it was someone full of rage & hate that spent much time planning this crime against a particular type of person, not necessarily personally knowing their victims or even caring. Just an overwhelming obsession to kill in a most sadistic brutal way.
JMOO.

IMO, it's that 5th W, the Why, that stops everyone in their tracks to solving these horrific murders. Only one person can truly answer the Why, the killer. I too agree this was hate, whether directed at KJ specifically or just a deep seeded hate towards what she represented in the killer's demented mind is yet to be known. The Why only gets answered, possibly, when the killer is caught. Unfortunately, I feel the Why would be the only tip that could lead LE to the Who, IMO.
As far as social activism, EC talked about a few things in her interviews w/MSM. She played a song written & sung by KJ with the words, I will stand for you, if you stand for me...E
C also talked about how KJ would discuss social issues w/her customers until she changed their minds.
I still find it difficult to think this was a premeditated attack on KJ specifically due to EC & others interviewed stating KJ never walked the same route or walked at the same times. So how would the killer know she would be where they were at that specific time & day? That's why I feel it was someone full of rage & hate that spent much time planning this crime against a particular type of person, not necessarily personally knowing their victims or even caring. Just an overwhelming obsession to kill in a most sadistic brutal way.
JMOO.
Thanks for reminding me-I totally forgot about her lyrics often reflecting the current world dynamic. I didn’t know about her discussions with customers, but it fits. You are correct in wondering how a killer specifically planning to kill Katie could track her down on that particular night. Like many, I have no clue whatsoever, and that does point to a person bent on killing a ‘type’ of individual rather than a certain victim. (And ‘knowing’ that a person walking by Was the type he/she hoped to find as a victim shows his/her complete lack of rational thinking that one cannot possibly recognize another’s lifestyle simply by appearance.) That doesn’t take into account, however, that Bowie was with Katie, and a victim that fit his or her vision most likely would not be walking a dog, and he/she would not have made provisions to commit a second murder, IMO, and probably would have waited for the next ideal victim. Unless, I imagine, the killer did not plan to go home without having exhausted his/her rage and horrendous brutality on a chosen victim with or without the added inconvenience of a strong, loyal Pit Bull. Someone so full of anger and hate may have been even more satisfied having an added challenge.

Sleuthers have said she was an activist and that she was outspoken so I am only quoting them I also believe that her being an openly queer woman made her a target as well. However, now a question comes to my mind there were other queer females that could have senselessly been targeted why this victim? The only thing I can think of is it was the time of night that the perp was out so it could be that the perp could have targeted another queer woman who happened to jog at that time and who also may not have had a dog with them. That's what makes me say this was also random but targetted.

JMOO.
It’s probable the killer knew enough about Katie’s dog walking routines to be able to follow her around midtown that night. Or overheard Katie’s plans for that evening and ‘ran into her’ at some point and went from there.
When Katie and Bowie were murdered, I first assumed it was the work of a would-be serial killer. But it’s been over a year with no other similar murders. So now I’m convinced this was a targeted attack by someone who was acquainted with Katie and hated her for some reason. Also, I don’t believe in coincidences, so the killer must have known Katie was leaving town the next day. As you state, I really hope we will know the Why one day.

Another thing that I wonder is if the witness (not sure about this and the details about a potential witness) who saw someone leaving the park at a different location around the time of Katherine's murder was a male and if the witness had been in the same location as she had been killed then I wonder if the perp would have done this to him. I'm assuming that the witness could be male because females do find it intimidating at that time of night in a wooded park or with wooded areas in it. I am going to assume not but then I could be totally wrong because some perps don't need an excuse to justify their actions. However, if the male witness was queer, was identifiable and was known to be so than IMO the perp would have also attacked that queer man. The perp may have even been more violent than was with Katherine (if that's imaginable to me its not its just a thought on my part) because it would be more challenging in terms of muscle strength.of the male victim. But then again because of the strength factor maybe the male would be left alone even if he was queer. If it was a straight frmale I think she may be victimized because in the perp's estimation she is an easy target. MOO

are there other murders where a person's dog was also killed with the murder weapon knife?
This is all I could locate where the knife was the murder weapon. This murder occurred in Kansas City. There have been a few other murders with person & dog victims but the weapon was a gun or a vehicle. All similar murders I located happened this year.

**IMO the attached MSM article is particularly gruesome and disturbing to watch/read.**

Then again killing Katherine's dog is pretty bold, was the perp that confident that her dog could be subdued. Its like the perp knew how to do this. How did this perp believe or know it would be successful? I suppose knowing dog anatomy could help this perp subdue sucessfully. The only way to get to Katherine would have been to kill her dog first, sadly. It had to be very quick IMO. So confident in their method. This is also one of the reason why it feels like it was random in my mind. Laying in wait what if she didn't go that route that night. If Katherine was cautious and didn't take the same path or route everyday how would the perp know she would be here at this location. Say earlier in the day she was talking to someone and the perp overheard her that she would take the route. I suppose if the perp overheard this it would make harming Katherine possible. Would she specify the location she would go, what about timing? How would the perp know the exact timing even if they did overhear her? Did the perp not care about timing and lay in wait for the poor woman regardless of how long it took? So many questions regarding this sad case.

Maybe the killer knew where she'd be walking because they hacked the same account that her partner used to find KJ after the attack.
I still don't think it's random. I also don't think it's a hate crime. I think it's a crime of passion.

If someone was targeting KJ specifically, why would they choose to attack her in the middle of the night, in a public place, with Bowie right there? And would a rage or passion motive bring an otherwise ordinary person to carve somebody up in an extraordinarily depraved manner? Would someone close to her also want the dog dead?

These things are certainly possible, but I can't help lean towards a random attack by a very sick individual. Maybe KJ's sexual orientation, gender, or social stances were of no significance, and neither was the presence of a dog. IDK...

If someone was targeting KJ specifically, why would they choose to attack her in the middle of the night, in a public place, with Bowie right there? And would a rage or passion motive bring an otherwise ordinary person to carve somebody up in an extraordinarily depraved manner? Would someone close to her also want the dog dead?

These things are certainly possible, but I can't help lean towards a random attack by a very sick individual. Maybe KJ's sexual orientation, gender, or social stances were of no significance, and neither was the presence of a dog. IDK...
Compared to the rest of her surroundings, this may have been the most secluded spot the attacker could get. Piedmont Park after dark is much more secluded than many other parts of midtown ATL. And sadly it has worked so far, they seem to have pulled off the crime with no eye witnesses.
I think the carving and such is due to personal rage, most killers don't go to that effort. And the fact there has been nothing similar before or after this attack makes me think it was someone who targeted her specifically. Not because she was gay, but because she was who they were after.

Came across a peculiar murder that took place in Copenhagen and was struck that it included writing on the victim's skin, just had to start a thread on the chance something can be gleaned from it and applied here- and vice-versa, fwiw, imo, speculation.

WARNING GRAPHIC PIC OF LETTERS BELOW!

1663794336974.png

Here is my version of the timeline. I just cannot understand it.

• Left Henry’s at 11:30pm (per partner)
  • Made it down to rainbow crosswalk at 12:09am (WHY did it take so long to get there? It’s a 2 min walk)
  • Walked up piedmont, to 12th street entrance (according to the still shot, because she was walking towards flying biscuit cafe- UP to the park entrance.)
  • 12:20am- Maybe Arrived at 12th and Piedmont.
  • Walked through ENTIRE park to CA exit gate
  • Now we’re already looking at 12:35-12:45 am or so, IF dog didn’t stop and urinate or she didn’t linger along..
Just based on google maps directions via the walk feature, and knowing when she left Henry’s, and was caught on camera, there’s no way she could have made it to the CA gate exit any sooner than 12:30am. (That’s hauling butt through the park.) So someone had to have got her after 12:30, and before 12:45am.

Partner got off work at 12:30. It takes like 20 minutes on a good day to walk to where they live. She got home and got worried because her iPhone was not moving around. She made it to the park around 12:56am-1am, so that means she probably arrived home from work somewhere around 12:50am. That gives her 6-10 minutes to ride bike to park, which is exactly accurate.

So my point is, if she got home and noticed KJ wasn’t home, started calling her immediately (12:45-12:50) then that narrows the timelines down even more.

KJ had to have been killed between 12:30- 12:45. That’s a small gap.

These are all speculated times, given all of the evidence from all news sources and logical deductions made from knowing the midtown area and where their apartment is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01