GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your feelings are shared. I find comfort in knowing that the FBI continues to be involved as noted in the link shared. There is a strong possibility that the killer could be prosecuted under FED law as a hate crime. That is so disturbing that someone could lose their life over who they love. And, if Katie knew her killer...

As of January 10, 2022, LEO announced they felt they were close to solving these crimes.
"Law enforcement sources and a former prosecutor say elements of the Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park in Midtown suggest there may be "a familiarity" between the victim and the killer."

Piedmont Park murder: 'A familiarity' between victim and killer, investigators say

Your feelings are shared. I find comfort in knowing that the FBI continues to be involved as noted in the link shared. There is a strong possibility that the killer could be prosecuted under FED law as a hate crime. That is so disturbing that someone could lose their life over who they love. And, if Katie knew her killer...

As of January 10, 2022, LEO announced they felt they were close to solving these crimes.
"Law enforcement sources and a former prosecutor say elements of the Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park in Midtown suggest there may be "a familiarity" between the victim and the killer."

Piedmont Park murder: 'A familiarity' between victim and killer, investigators say
What puzzles me the most about this murder is that people who were in and near the park when the murder occurred later told police that they heard neither screams nor a dog barking. This is indeed puzzling when one considers the level of violence directed against both Katherine and Bowie. As a native Atlanta resident who once lived in Midtown I know from experience that Piedmont Park is a very busy location and that people walk thru it at all hours--even in the early morning. So how is it that no one heard Katherine scream or Bowie bark? One theory is that the killer was someone that both Katherine and Bowie were both familiar with. This would have allowed the killer to get close enough to stab them without alarming them. If this was the case, my guess is that the killer probably killed Bowie first, as he posed the greatest threat to him/her. He may have been petting him and then suddenly slit his throat so he could not bark, then finished him of off. I'm sure it happened very fast and poor Katherine might have been unable to scream immediately due to her shock and disbelief at seeing someone she knew and trusted killing her dog. When the killer attacked Katherine, he probably did the same thing--slit her throat first then finished her off. This would explain why no one heard any screams or barking. Also, the level of violence in the attack seems to indicate that it was very personal. Another theory I've heard is that there were 2 assailants who launched a sudden, simultaneous "blitz" attack: one targeting Katherine and the other targeting Bowie. Again, it would have been very quick and unexpected. If Katherine and Bowie had their throats slit first they would not have been able to make any noise. The 2 perpetrators may or may not have known Katherine and Bowie.

What puzzles me the most about this murder is that people who were in and near the park when the murder occurred later told police that they heard neither screams nor a dog barking. This is indeed puzzling when one considers the level of violence directed against both Katherine and Bowie. As a native Atlanta resident who once lived in Midtown I know from experience that Piedmont Park is a very busy location and that people walk thru it at all hours--even in the early morning. So how is it that no one heard Katherine scream or Bowie bark? One theory is that the killer was someone that both Katherine and Bowie were both familiar with. This would have allowed the killer to get close enough to stab them without alarming them. If this was the case, my guess is that the killer probably killed Bowie first, as he posed the greatest threat to him/her. He may have been petting him and then suddenly slit his throat so he could not bark, then finished him of off. I'm sure it happened very fast and poor Katherine might have been unable to scream immediately due to her shock and disbelief at seeing someone she knew and trusted killing her dog. When the killer attacked Katherine, he probably did the same thing--slit her throat first then finished her off. This would explain why no one heard any screams or barking. Also, the level of violence in the attack seems to indicate that it was very personal. Another theory I've heard is that there were 2 assailants who launched a sudden, simultaneous "blitz" attack: one targeting Katherine and the other targeting Bowie. Again, it would have been very quick and unexpected. If Katherine and Bowie had their throats slit first they would not have been able to make any noise. The 2 perpetrators may or may not have known Katherine and Bowie.

I have read everything on each thread, and I don’t recall seeing such a logical theory on how Bowie may have been so quickly and quietly subdued. And, IMO, that would have rendered Katie, as sharp and intuitive as she was, stunned and horrified for the moments it took to do the same to her. It fits my belief that this was planned with awareness of Bowie, knowledge that Katie’s paths varied, intent to kill them that particular evening to prevent Katie from flying to Michigan the next day, planning to ‘accidentally’ meet up with her on their walk after stalking her persistently to find her that day, and joining them and possibly leading them into the park, which may not have been her regular route-instead, maybe she preferred the safer choice of taking a path on the park’s perimeter-and as someone who was cordial or somewhat acquainted with her and Bowie, having brazenly believed that he/she could kill them both only yards inside the entrance, despite the foot traffic close by, and spend time cutting her body to expose his/her pent-up rage, fury and inability to deal with his/her long-held specific, emotional problems in a civilized, intelligent and humane manner. This individual is still the loser he/she always was-taking Katie and her dog from us, we who still love her and know she’s with us in spirit every day-a pathetic creature who can NEVER be the kind, brilliant, creative, loving and loved being that Katie will always be.

Last edited:
Noting fwiw, this particularly odd and vicious murder committed by a female on her female co-worker after closing time. rbbm.
GRAPHIC

''Norwood attacked Murray with multiple weapons, causing approximately 331 individual injuries and ultimately Murray's death. Murray had injuries to her head, face, neck, back, and extremities. According to the medical examiner, Murray was alive when she incurred the majority of her injuries. A stab wound to the back of Murray's head hastened her death.''

Here is what puzzles me. In response to the theories that her throat was slit first to prevent her from screaming. The reason I’m going to disagree is because both major (only) blood supplies in her throat were severed. She would have bled out too quickly and died within what, seconds to a couple minutes at most? She didn’t though.

She was alive for most, if not, nearly all of the attack. I think her throat was done last. Or she had a superficial throat cut at first, then they went back later to cut deeper. Sounds gross, and I’m sorry, but if they did that damage right off the bat, she wouldn’t have been able to hemorrhage out from the other wounds, which she did. Because she stayed alive for so long, and that wouldn’t have been possible with a severed carotid artery.

The way Katie’s walking with Bowie certainly looks as if he’s on leash. She was a responsible dog owner in all ways.

I wonder if in walking Bowie, she stayed mostly outside, on the perimeter of the park. Perhaps the killer pulled her inside where she was found.
Or took Bowie away from her & she went chasing after to get him back.
JMOO

Here is what puzzles me. In response to the theories that her throat was slit first to prevent her from screaming. The reason I’m going to disagree is because both major (only) blood supplies in her throat were severed. She would have bled out too quickly and died within what, seconds to a couple minutes at most? She didn’t though.

She was alive for most, if not, nearly all of the attack. I think her throat was done last. Or she had a superficial throat cut at first, then they went back later to cut deeper. Sounds gross, and I’m sorry, but if they did that damage right off the bat, she wouldn’t have been able to hemorrhage out from the other wounds, which she did. Because she stayed alive for so long, and that wouldn’t have been possible with a severed carotid artery.
I agree with your suggestion. It makes sense. It wasn't to stop her from screaming but rather to inflict. If it was to inflict then the question arises is the perp known to her or not? This perp seemed to be prepared with a strong knife that was well bladed as we can assume from the numerous injuries she suffered. IDK its hard for me to imagine someone who knows Katherine and would use this level of violence not showing/saying any anger or anything untoward about her to her inner circle, people who knew her. If its not a hate crime than this would apply if it was someone known to her. Is this someone casually known to her? If this person only knew her casually then how would the perp know Katherine was going to be where she was at the time? IMO this perp has to be familliar with this area/park and perhaps knew where the water was and went dipped in to get rid of the blood possibly that's why perhaps there was no bloody trail to lead visually. I think Bowie was killed first. Maybe since she had Bowie with her she thought that Bowie would attack the perp so she didn't scream worrying and shocked by the situation and thus the perp commandeered the scene? When Bowie was incapacitated on the ground stunned she tried to run away not thinking to scream? But the perp was able to subdue her with that blade very quickly as the perp had done with Bowie? I think this also was somwhere that other people were not at so it was hidden or very dark where others couldn't see.

I'm assuming the perp used the darkness to thier advantage, the blade was very strong. It was very quick and lethal especially to Bowie so that perhaps he wouldn't be in the way and incapacitate the perp. This perp was bold to not be afraid of a pit bull. Did the perp know it was a pit bull, perhaps the perp saw Katherine in the neighborhood sometimes. Either the perp was close to in proximity to both at the time or it was a larger type of knife maybe like a machete? If it was something like a machete the only way to diguise that is by outer clothing like perhaps a long coat? Was it a medium sized knife that could be hidden easily? Something like a pouch, pocket? A medium sized would probably be more likely than a machete though because the perp would have to carry two knives as the words were carved onto Katherine's body. It had to be close enough to work the deed. IMO this perp seems to have skill at using a medium sized knife to kill a large dog and then the owner of the dog this brutally. Also IMO this perp enjoyed what they did to Katherine and Bowie may have been a challenge because he is a large dog. So was the motivation really a hate crime? Or just plain viciousnes making it look like a hate crime.

Just because no one heard barking or screaming doesn’t mean there was none. It’s an area that’s somewhat noisy anyway. Tree cover and grass help deaden sound in the park compared to all the hard surfaces (pavement, buildings, etc.) which echo sounds outside the park.

Last edited:
Is this some new weird practice? Unrelated recent case, unusual enough to note here, imo, speculation, fwiw..
  • ''Victim discovered with her feet and wrists bound and several cuts to her throat
  • Numbers found on body - not written or cut but 'placed' on her by a 'device'''
I read about this case, but reading it again in the context of these other knife attacks is enough to give me nightmares--just horrible, horrible crimes, committed by evil people.

That is so disturbing that someone could lose their life over who they love. And, if Katie knew her killer...

MOO, without a doubt the murderer was a sick , murderous individual, but do you really know that Katie was killed over "who they love"?

The FBI theorizing there there was "a familiarity between the victim and the killer" does not imply that. If they are even right, it could be a neighbor, or a customer at the bar where she worked, or someone else who knew her, and who had some dispute with her, or felt some perceived wrong. But whoever it was, and whatever their motivation, I hope they are arrested soon!

Typically, when we quote a post, the entire post is carried over or it is noted by the WS member that they've snipped the post.

I am not a verified insider on this case. I know absolutely nothing as a fact besides what has been announced by LEO in ATL.

My original post from APRIL that mentions a possible Hate Crime charge:

GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4
I've seen nothing in the media about a possible hate crime. Can you please provide a link if you have seen that in the media? MOO, they don't event know who murdered the victim or why, and prosecutors would need to know that before "hate crime" charges could be considered.

A familliarity could mean someone saw her passing by regularly or sometimes and or perhaps didn't like her for whatever reason it may be. If it was based on poor Katherine's looks could it still be considered a hate crime? I would think so because of the word was carved into her torso. IDK the former prosecutor who stated this about the familiarity aspect does he know what the crime scene looked like? I mean its possible the perp knew where to strike Bowie to incapacitate him. That would perhaps mean knowing dog anatomy? Its possible Katherine just walked into the park for a stroll. Yhe reason I say this is because she and Boewie walked 100 or 200 yards into the park for that stroll. She would have avoided it if she wasn't going for that stroll. Maybe she could see who it was initially an because of the casual familliarity she didn't become alerted until it was too late.

A familliarity could mean someone saw her passing by regularly or sometimes and or perhaps didn't like her for whatever reason it may be. If it was based on poor Katherine's looks could it still be considered a hate crime? I would think so because of the word was carved into her torso. IDK the former prosecutor who stated this about the familiarity aspect does he know what the crime scene looked like? I mean its possible the perp knew where to strike Bowie to incapacitate him. That would perhaps mean knowing dog anatomy? Its possible Katherine just walked into the park for a stroll. Yhe reason I say this is because she and Boewie walked 100 or 200 yards into the park for that stroll. She would have avoided it if she wasn't going for that stroll. Maybe she could see who it was initially a because of the casual familliarity she didn't become alerted until it was too late.
A representative from DA Fani Willis' (she is a woman) office were reported to have been on the scene that early morning in Piedmont Park. So yes they saw the crime scene.

When the victim of a crime is a member of any “minority” group and no clear suspect is known there is always media speculation about hate crimes.
I think I saw such speculation early on in the local media, but consider that a rumor as I’m not searching old stories to verify it.
Hate crime or not, it is a vicious attack and the punishment should be severe.
Note that I hate using the term minority. It’s not really accurate but was the only word I could think of for that sentence.

When the victim of a crime is a member of any “minority” group and no clear suspect is known there is always media speculation about hate crimes.
I think I saw such speculation early on in the local media, but consider that a rumor as I’m not searching old stories to verify it.
Hate crime or not, it is a vicious attack and the punishment should be severe.
Note that I hate using the term minority. It’s not really accurate but was the only word I could think of for that sentence.
Current statutes permit federal prosecution of hate crimes committed on the basis of a person's characteristics of race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.

The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act expands the 1969 United States federal hate-crime law to include crimes motivated by a victim's actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

(Sorry, not the best sources)

A representative from DA Fani Willis' (she is a woman) office were reported to have been on the scene that early morning in Piedmont Park. So yes they saw the crime scene.
The former prosecutor mentioned in the article was not with the Fulton County DA office at the time of the killing. He is just basing his opinion off of the reports. And is idea of "suggestion of familiarity" is based off the killing of the dog, ie the dog must have known the killer. That is just guessing really. I respect the former prosecutor's opinion, and it makes sense, but it is just a guess.

From that same news report that speaks of the familiarity...

"A top Atlanta Police Department commander said recently investigators are getting close to solving the gruesome crime from last July. Charles Hampton Jr., a deputy chief, did not provide details."

The report is dated January 10, 2022. It's been 10 months since then. 'Sure doesn't sound as if they were getting close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper