GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my version of the timeline. I just cannot understand it.

• Left Henry’s at 11:30pm (per partner)
  • Made it down to rainbow crosswalk at 12:09am (WHY did it take so long to get there? It’s a 2 min walk)
  • Walked up piedmont, to 12th street entrance (according to the still shot, because she was walking towards flying biscuit cafe- UP to the park entrance.)
  • 12:20am- Maybe Arrived at 12th and Piedmont.
  • Walked through ENTIRE park to CA exit gate
  • Now we’re already looking at 12:35-12:45 am or so, IF dog didn’t stop and urinate or she didn’t linger along..
Just based on google maps directions via the walk feature, and knowing when she left Henry’s, and was caught on camera, there’s no way she could have made it to the CA gate exit any sooner than 12:30am. (That’s hauling butt through the park.) So someone had to have got her after 12:30, and before 12:45am.

Partner got off work at 12:30. It takes like 20 minutes on a good day to walk to where they live. She got home and got worried because her iPhone was not moving around. She made it to the park around 12:56am-1am, so that means she probably arrived home from work somewhere around 12:50am. That gives her 6-10 minutes to ride bike to park, which is exactly accurate.

So my point is, if she got home and noticed KJ wasn’t home, started calling her immediately (12:45-12:50) then that narrows the timelines down even more.

KJ had to have been killed between 12:30- 12:45. That’s a small gap.

These are all speculated times, given all of the evidence from all news sources and logical deductions made from knowing the midtown area and where their apartment is.
Is there a drive-thru bank nearby where she could have stopped at? I don’t see this happening, but could she have run into someone on her walk and just chatted for a few? I also wouldn’t think so, but could she have stopped at a bench to rest a moment? Her knee/s were giving her trouble I believe, IMO. I don’t know the area.

• Made it down to rainbow crosswalk at 12:09am (WHY did it take so long to get there? It’s a 2 min walk)
  • Walked up piedmont, to 12th street entrance (according to the still shot, because she was walking towards flying biscuit cafe- UP to the park entrance.)
  • Now we’re already looking at 12:35-12:45 am or so, IF dog didn’t stop and urinate or she didn’t linger along..
Just based on google maps directions via the walk feature, and knowing when she left Henry’s, and was caught on camera, there’s no way she could have made it to the CA gate exit any sooner than 12:30am. (That’s hauling butt through the park.) So someone had to have got her after 12:30, and before 12:45am.

Partner got off work at 12:30. It takes like 20 minutes on a good day to walk to where they live. She got home and got worried because her iPhone was not moving around. She made it to the park around 12:56am-1am, so that means she probably arrived home from work somewhere around 12:50am. That gives her 6-10 minutes to ride bike to park, which is exactly accurate.

So my point is, if she got home and noticed KJ wasn’t home, started calling her immediately (12:45-12:50) then that narrows the timelines down even more.

These are all speculated times, given all of the evidence from all news sources and logical deductions made from knowing the midtown area and where their apartment is.
There is the possibility the 12:09 timestamp was inaccurate and I knnd of suspect it was. They never said that, but the timestamp was removed form later images. Someone may have noticed that and removed the timestamp hoping that someone who saw her there at 11:35 or so might still call in the sighting.
If the timestamp is assumed to be incorrect, that opens up the timeline a lot. And I'd assume law enforcement would know if the timestamp was wrong and by how much. I also suspect the phone pings would help to confirm when she was moving and when the movement stopped. I've never heard the police discuss that.
This could make the window an hour or so.

Last edited:

Panda, I like to go back and revisit the timeline as well. I sometimes question the 11:30 time given by Emma, but its not really too important. Assuming the 12:09 Rainbow Crosswalk time is correct (LE has not said it isn't) then it does appear she went somewhere else after leaving Henry's. Plus she is seen crossing north to south in the crosswalk and Henry's is on the north side. This was a long walk. After the crosswalk, I think it is most likely that Katie and Bowie continued east on 10th, on the northside of the street. I think in the crosswalk photo it appears Katie is beginning to angle a little to the east, so I think she crossed Piedmont to the east after crossing 10th to the North. Proceeding up Piedmont to enter the park doesn't make sense to me. It is a longer walk. She didn't enter at the main 12th st entrance or she would have been caught on camera there. She could have entered at the small entrance between the apartment buildings, but that is very dark, I don't think she would have done that. Proceeding east on 10th makes more sense, gets to the park quicker, and enter on the SW corner of the park. This could have put her at the CA entrance area by about 12:26, even accounting for Bowie taking his time.

There is the possibility the 12:09 timestamp was inaccurate and I knnd of suspect it was. They never said that, but the timestamp was removed form later images. Someone may have noticed that and removed the timestamp hoping that someone who saw her there at 11:35 or so might still call in the sighting.
If the timestamp is assumed to be incorrect, that opens up the timeline a lot. And I'd assume law enforcement would know if the timestamp was wrong and by how much. I also suspect the phone pings would help to confirm when she was moving and when the movement stopped. I've never heard the police discuss that.
This could make the window an hour or so.
I do think it is possible the timestamp is not correct. But if it has been determined to be wrong, I wish LE would come out and say so. Its pretty important.

I do think it is possible the timestamp is not correct. But if it has been determined to be wrong, I wish LE would come out and say so. Its pretty important.
This is something I wish was asked at the press conference. No way would LE confirm or refute EC’s timeline, but they could/should have answered this IF it had been asked. So many unasked questions at that news conference! IMO.
And I think Katie was headed North at the rainbow crosswalk and entered the park somewhere along 10th— based on my belief the photo was captured from the camera on top of the Flying Biscuit building (and I could be wrong as to camera location). But why didn’t she just go home after visiting Henry’s? BTW, I’ve gone up and down 10th, Piedmont, and Charles Allen with Gooxxx street view and the lack of visible cameras is surprising. JMO.

Last edited:
Did the police ever have any type of dogs checking for Bowie's scent markings on the walk? There may have been more deviation than we know of, that could have been identified by police dogs when the trail was fresh...

My dog likes to stop all of the time, at literally everything. And place a marker there.

Did the police ever have any type of dogs checking for Bowie's scent markings on the walk? There may have been more deviation than we know of, that could have been identified by police dogs when the trail was fresh...

My dog likes to stop all of the time, at literally everything. And place a marker there.
IMO this is a really good question. Because what if the perp was not where the murder happened when Bowie was marking and stumbled upon Katherine and Bowie. But I can't picture this though because Bowie would have alerted Katerine to someone near them or behind them. Plus I believe Bowie would probably start marking his scent right from the start as they went through the park. Unless Katherine was determined to finish her jog as quickly as she could and then Bowie may not have a chance to mark his scent. MOO. But like I said this a great question because it can help determine how Katherine and Bowie's path went along and unfolded thru the park until where they were ultimately found deceased.

IMO this is a really good question. Because what if the perp was not where the murder happened when Bowie was marking and stumbled upon Katherine and Bowie. But I can't picture this though because Bowie would have alerted Katerine to someone near them or behind them. Plus I believe Bowie would probably start marking his scent right from the start as they went through the park. Unless Katherine was determined to finish her jog as quickly as she could and then Bowie may not have a chance to mark his scent. MOO. But like I said this a great question because it can help determine how Katherine and Bowie's path went along and unfolded thru the park until where they were ultimately found deceased.
Hundreds of dogs walk through the park every day. So I don't know if it would have been possible or practical to try to track Bowie's scent the next day. I have a hunch police probably know where she entered the park. As for Bowie alerting to strangers, he was used to being walked every day in the park and had been out on this particular night for over an hour. I think someone could have walked up to them without causing any real reaction from Bowie.

Why Katie and Bower were at the CA entrance when they were is interesting to me however. It was late, they had been a long walk already.

Just thinking out loud here - there was a witness, correct? Is it possible this person didn't see the crime but saw someone throw something into the water around that time? Is that why LE searched it right away?

Hundreds of dogs walk through the park every day. So I don't know if it would have been possible or practical to try to track Bowie's scent the next day. I have a hunch police probably know where she entered the park. As for Bowie alerting to strangers, he was used to being walked every day in the park and had been out on this particular night for over an hour. I think someone could have walked up to them without causing any real reaction from Bowie.

Why Katie and Bower were at the CA entrance when they were is interesting to me however. It was late, they had been a long walk already.
I don't know the details of when LE brought the tracking dogs in. But at some points thru the park Bowie's scent would be distinguishable. Maybe not everywhere that Bowie and Katherine went but at some points though. That is still enough of an idea for a possible path the two took. Yes I agree LE would know about where they entered, I don't have any doubts about that. My point was were Bowie and Katherine startled. I know our dog a german shephard used to be more aware of noises and smells at night as the family sat out in the yard. That is because there are less people and scents out at that time. IMO if Bowie was startled then he may have alerted Katherine but the perp knew exactly where to attack Bowie to subdue him. Poor Katherine in her shock must have frozen. This is how I imagine the scene. It is quite sad in my mind.

Some have wondered if Bowie was incapacitated and Katie ran away but was caught near the bushes which provided adequate cover for the killing. How bold of the killer to take the time to slice letters into her skin, too. Was a headlamp worn? There was torture found here. The moment of death lingered. She was conscious when the letters were drawn. RIPeace

911 call ATL News First :

Some have wondered if Bowie was incapacitated and Katie ran away but was caught near the bushes which provided adequate cover for the killing. How bold of the killer to take the time to slice letters into her skin, too. Was a headlamp worn? There was torture found here. The moment of death lingered. She was conscious when the letters were drawn. RIPeace

These are the things I'm wondering in my line of questions. A light of some sort would definately aid. If it was dark where Bowie was killed then the killer would have had to see Bowie because a dog's automatic reaction if it hasn't been subdued yet is to attack to defend itself. So the injury had to be such that Bowie was unable to defend himself I imagine. Then its possible Katherine was able to run while the perp was killing poor Bowie. I think you may have a very good observation here. Because it just seems to me that it was very bold and and anyhing to aid such boldness may make this perp successful. Wow. Think about it this way light in the dark but yet hands are free to.........! Meaning a flashlight in hand would hinder the perp.

Last edited:

In my mind, I see Bowie incapacited forst and swiftly, too, and K going to him, leaning over him -- perhaps she's in that position when the assailant attacks her.

It's horrific how ever it happened.

JMO

Its got me thinking now all of the people on that crosswalk have been cleared, in the video posted upthread of the 9-11 call? If so how and why were they eliminated. Was it scent tracked by sniffer dogs, it had to be or perhaps their DNA wasn't in the same area as Katherine and Bowie? All of them were identifiable by their faces as far as I can see. Also they can be traced on CCTV after the crosswalk as well, back to their lodging if they live in the area. The pond may have aided a perp to lose the scent and DNA? If the perp went into the water clothes can be changed say into shorts and a T-shirt. The clothes when commiting this horror could be put into a pouch around the waist.

Was something announced? Or are you making a statement? I got excited to read your post.
Nothing was announced but I think it's important to keep this feed alive. For some reason (and perhaps this is a quirk only to my algorithm), this thread disappears often. Also there are metaphysical reasons for why I think it's important to "say their names."

Nothing was announced but I think it's important to keep this feed alive. For some reason (and perhaps this is a quirk only to my algorithm), this thread disappears often. Also there are metaphysical reasons for why I think it's important to "say their names."
That is an interesting thought. And I do agree, though that idea never occurred to me. You’re a caring person. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member