GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t agree. IMO, the word isn’t FAT, it was meant to be something else, maybe something that didn’t get finished. And it wouldn’t have been an insult to Katie because she was comfortable with herself. He/she was exceptionally angry with a reason, or a hateful being with extreme murder on his/her mind. Whether for Katie specifically, or a gay woman, or any woman that evening. Sadly, IMO, I feel the killer was set on Katie.

Many places are less than perfectly safe. But blaming the victim simply plays up our own human insecurities and righteousness because “of course, we’d never go there at that time! Whatever was she thinking??” It gives us comfort that it wasn’t us and never will be because we’re smarter, more careful, and so on.

SHE WAS MURDERED.
SHE DID NOT ASK FOR IT.
A DESPICABLE, YET STILL HUMAN, BEING CHOSE TO COMMIT A HORRENDOUS, INHUMANE ACT OF DEPRAVITY THAT EVENING.

Katie and Bowie, you’re in many, many
You're right that Katie deserved to be able to go to that park at 1am without getting murdered, but the very fact that she was there during that hour might have played a role in her being murdered, at least if it was random. It was dark, with far less people than during the day, and that just makes the timing more favorable for an attacker. It's the pit bull part that blows my mind. 1 am or 1 pm, most people aren't going to be messed with when they have a pittie by their side. Jmo.

You're right that Katie deserved to be able to go to that park at 1am without getting murdered, but the very fact that she was there during that hour might have played a role in her being murdered, at least if it was random. It was dark, with far less people than during the day, and that just makes the timing more favorable for an attacker. It's the pit bull part that blows my mind. 1 am or 1 pm, most people aren't going to be messed with when they have a pittie by their side. Jmo.
The more I think about it, Katie almost certainly was targeted. LE released surveillance of 5 other individuals leaving the park before/during the murder (not including ‘headlamp jogger’). How many other people were in the park after midnight—including people who may have been recorded on camera but not released to the public?? Considering the lack of working cameras, there were probably a couple dozen people in the park at that time— potential victims for the murderer to target. Why would the killer choose Katie and Bowie, and why at the Charles Allen gate entrance?? I believe she was either lured there or had planned to meet someone there.

People often mention the fact that a pit bull would normally keep a lot of people away. But, that's not my experience. My sister had a pit bull (a gentle giant) but you would be amazed at how many people (adults and children) made a beeline for him, reaching to touch him without ever asking if they could or should. All while my sister's other dog, a very cute, smiley mutt stood right beside him. They ofen ignored the cute friendly looking dog in favor of the pit bull. Now, he was gentle and maybe exuded that energy, but I have seen that there are many people who have zero qualms about approaching an unfamiliar pit bull.

MOO.

People often mention the fact that a pit bull would normally keep a lot of people away. But, that's not my experience. My sister had a pit bull (a gentle giant) but you would be amazed at how many people (adults and children) made a beeline for him, reaching to touch him without ever asking if they could or should. All while my sister's other dog, a very cute, smiley mutt stood right beside him. They ofen ignored the cute friendly looking dog in favor of the pit bull. Now, he was gentle and maybe exuded that energy, but I have seen that there are many people who have zero qualms about approaching an unfamiliar pit bull.

MOO.
A police friend once told me that my two German Shepherds gave me a false sense of security on walks. He said a guy with a knife could handle them without a problem.

In my mind, I see Bowie incapacited forst and swiftly, too, and K going to him, leaning over him -- perhaps she's in that position when the assailant attacks her.

It's horrific how ever it happened.

JMO
Just re-posting an interview which had a lot of information, hopefully as a handy link for those new to the thread or simply to 'refresh' some details for posters familiar with the case, fwiw.
Thank you for that! It was a good refresher….

This was in my local news today....a woman stabbed while walking her dog in an urban park.

I'm not at all suggesting that this crime is connected to the murder of KJ, but it is another example of someone intent on committing an assault with a knife and not being deterred by the presence of a dog (we don't yet know what type of dog the Boston victim had, though). I will be interested to hear more details, such as whether police think this was random or not, and I'm glad that this victim is expected to survive her wounds. It is interesting to watch the news report at the link and see how LE were investigating with K-9s etc.

Edit to add: it looks like the victim was elderly, she was stabbed numerous times, and police believe it was a random attack. I-Team: Elderly woman stabbed in Franklin Park may have been randomly targeted

Is this some new weird practice? Unrelated recent case, unusual enough to note here, imo, speculation, fwiw..
  • ''Victim discovered with her feet and wrists bound and several cuts to her throat
  • Numbers found on body - not written or cut but 'placed' on her by a 'device'''

I just watched a YT video about this still unsolved case from 1993. Stephanie Coyle, age 74, was found nude, throat was cut, she had been slashed a dozen times then raped and molested. Also, there was a symbol carved on her back.

From a 2011 news report.

Forensic Pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht performed the autopsy. He told Target 11 Investigator Rick Earle that he's done thousands of autopsies and this is one of the most brutal he's ever seen.

Stephanie Coyle was found on the floor or her bedroom in her Arnold apartment in July of 1993. After she failed to show for her volunteer job, her landlord went to check on her and discovered her body.

"This is truly one of the most brutal killings I've ever experienced in my role as a forensic pathologist," Wecht said.

On the victim's back, Wecht discovered a strange carving that he suspects was done with a knife after Coyle had been killed.

"It suggests some kind of symbol. This was the final message. It could even be some kind of initiation ritual," said Wecht.

Investigators won't release any photos of the carving, but according to Wecht it was an oval about 21 inches by 14 inches with a vertical line 25 inches long through the middle of the circle. The carving was about a quarter inch deep.

I just watched a YT video about this still unsolved case from 1993. Stephanie Coyle, age 74, was found nude, throat was cut, she had been slashed a dozen times then raped and molested. Also, there was a symbol carved on her back.

From a 2011 news report.

Forensic Pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht performed the autopsy. He told Target 11 Investigator Rick Earle that he's done thousands of autopsies and this is one of the most brutal he's ever seen.

Stephanie Coyle was found on the floor or her bedroom in her Arnold apartment in July of 1993. After she failed to show for her volunteer job, her landlord went to check on her and discovered her body.

"This is truly one of the most brutal killings I've ever experienced in my role as a forensic pathologist," Wecht said.

On the victim's back, Wecht discovered a strange carving that he suspects was done with a knife after Coyle had been killed.

"It suggests some kind of symbol. This was the final message. It could even be some kind of initiation ritual," said Wecht.

Investigators won't release any photos of the carving, but according to Wecht it was an oval about 21 inches by 14 inches with a vertical line 25 inches long through the middle of the circle. The carving was about a quarter inch deep.

Thanks for mentioning this case, unless i missed it, i could not find a thread so got this one started, the carving is interesting to note..

Is this some new weird practice? Unrelated recent case, unusual enough to note here, imo, speculation, fwiw..
  • ''Victim discovered with her feet and wrists bound and several cuts to her throat
  • Numbers found on body - not written or cut but 'placed' on her by a 'device'''

No, I think it has nothing to do with the murder of Kat. J. In Paris we have rivalries and the victim had been very brilliant in gymnastics

First, we see a gay woman and her dog on a LBTQ rainbow crosswalk, then - a large sign stating that pets must be leashed and finally a memorial to said woman (and dog) who were viciously brutalized shortly after the images were captured.
Coincidence or by design?
1666970769466.png

1666970687284.png
1666970991121.png

The way Katie’s walking with Bowie certainly looks as if he’s on leash. She was a responsible dog owner in all ways.

I wonder if in walking Bowie, she stayed mostly outside, on the perimeter of the park. Perhaps the killer pulled her inside where she was found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper