GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to a podcast episode on the case, a podcast called Unresolved, and the entire 911 call is played. I don't think this has been covered in here before... does anyone else find it odd that EC can't/doesn't tell the 911 operator exactly where they are? She says "at the entrance to Piedmont Park" and that's all -- no cross streets, no "near ____" or "across the street from____" Hadn't she and Katie been living in that neighborhood for years, or am I wrong? And aren't there multiple entrances?

And then she hangs up -- although to be fair, I also find it odd that the operator doesn't say anything to her about staying on the line, either -- and I'm wondering what happened then. The podcast says that the police arrived at 1:10 a.m., but I don't know if we've ever nailed down the time that the call was made, so I don't know how long it took them to arrive.

I know the police don't owe us anything, but it's so frustrating that there is so much we don't know -- and so scary that there is someone out there who did this and is still walking around free. :(

Apologies if this has already been mentioned—- There was no bra noted in KJ’s autopsy report, which means that either she was not wearing one or it was taken by the killer(s). If it was the former then I think it’s unlikely that she was jogging.
I agree that she wasn't out for a jog, especially in jeans, not shorts or something light. But sometimes a dog owner will just run a bit for a little extra fun for the dog (done it myself).

One thing that struck me as out of context was how the AtlPd 911 operator talked to EC. When EC told him she was looking for her GF & found her dead in the park. He responded by calling Grady Ambulance & talking to that dispatcher. IMOO what the heck good is an ambulance going to do in that situation?
There were alot of questions I think the dispatcher should have asked & didn't. Unless part of the call was redacted by AtlPd. He also dispatched the ambulance to the address for the PP 12th St entrance according to google maps.
I believe when the 911 dispatcher quit talking to EC to talk to the Grady Ambulance dispatcher EC just hung up. Also the man came running out of the park after just seeing the CS & I speculate that distracted EC from the 911 call too.
JMOO

KJ knew, since she wasn't at home, that EC would be contacting her as EC says KJ always did. Hence, there's a lack of understanding why KJ didn't share with EC that she'd be home later than her?

Why would Katie be out later than usual when she had a flight the next day?

Anyone know what time that flight was supposed to be? Can we look back at historical flight times from ATL July 29 to Michigan as the only option I find is going forward in time? KJ probably booked to land in Detroit which is 22.6 miles to Beverly Hills, MI. ATL to Detroit could get a non-stop flight. Her mom was ill but she was making a goodie bag for a friend who was due to pick KJ up at the airport for a flight she never had the chance to take.

5:17m EC is asked what she may want to say to the person who did this. She doesn't know.
5:40m EC says KJ didn't deserve to go thru what she did.

5:50m She can't even imagine how scared she was for that to happen.
Katie wasn't easily scared, she felt confident, she felt safe being in Midtown, you know.
EC continues about what bothers her the most: That the lack of being scared was taken from her.

6:11 I hope they find them. I hope they get what they deserve, too. (EC emphasized the word too.)

Too, as in also? That KJ deserved it and the person who did this should get what they deserve, too?

EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness

mvho but v perplexed

One thing that struck me as out of context was how the AtlPd 911 operator talked to EC. When EC told him she was looking for her GF & found her dead in the park. He responded by calling Grady Ambulance & talking to that dispatcher. IMOO what the heck good is an ambulance going to do in that situation?
There were alot of questions I think the dispatcher should have asked & didn't. Unless part of the call was redacted by AtlPd. He also dispatched the ambulance to the address for the PP 12th St entrance according to google maps.
I believe when the 911 dispatcher quit talking to EC to talk to the Grady Ambulance dispatcher EC just hung up. Also the man came running out of the park after just seeing the CS & I speculate that distracted EC from the 911 call too.
JMOO

The ambulance might have been for Emma. The operator couldn't know what had happened, so he didn't know if she was hurt also. Also, he had no way of knowing that Katie was actually dead.
Here in Savannah, fire and police and ambulance all get dispatched to a scene at once, in case one is closer than the other and can start to give aid faster.

Also, Emma didn't give an address, just said she was at the PP entrance, so he didn't know which one.

The ambulance might have been for Emma. The operator couldn't know what had happened, so he didn't know if she was hurt also. Also, he had no way of knowing that Katie was actually dead.
Here in Savannah, fire and police and ambulance all get dispatched to a scene at once, in case one is closer than the other and can start to give aid faster.

Also, Emma didn't give an address, just said she was at the PP entrance, so he didn't know which one.

That was my point. The operator didn't know what happened because he didn't ask. He didn't ask things like, why do you think she's dead?, is anyone else there?, are there any other victims?, are you injured?......
When EC was trying to tell him where she was at the entrance to PP she said, I can't explain it. The operator should have asked what's the nearest st or xst? Instead he said, hold on, I'm calling Grady ambulance.
According to the time stamp on the MSM report, EC called 911 at 1:11am. The call lasted 2:19 (which includes the 2 dispatchers talking to each other).

911 call released in murder at Piedmont Park

That was my point. The operator didn't know what happened because he didn't ask. He didn't ask things like, why do you think she's dead?, is anyone else there?, are there any other victims?, are you injured?......
When EC was trying to tell him where she was at the entrance to PP she said, I can't explain it. The operator should have asked what's the nearest st or xst? Instead he said, hold on, I'm calling Grady ambulance.
According to the time stamp on the MSM report, EC called 911 at 1:11am. The call lasted 2:19 (which includes the 2 dispatchers talking to each other).

Good point that he (apparently) didn't ask her any more questions, unless the recording has been edited. I would have expected that, so he could have given the EMTs better instructions on where to go. And yeah, the fact that he just took her word for it that Katie was dead and didn't ask follow-up questions... Maybe he was going to ask her after he patched through, but he didn't say "I'm calling an ambulance, stay on the line." Maybe he was new. Or, maybe we're not hearing the whole thing, for reasons unknown to us. Once again, so frustrating!

Mods, feel free to snip or delete if any of this isn't allowed...I want to open up a discussion but don't want to violate any rules.

I finished listening to the KJ episode of the Unresolved podcast, and it made me wonder something about the timeline and the location of the murder. We've all been asking for months now why it took so long for Katie to get from the rainbow crosswalk to where she was killed, why was she still out with Bowie on what would have been a really long walk and how was the murderer, who must have been covered in blood, able to walk away from the crime scene without being seen or noticed?

Does anybody think it's possible that she got into a vehicle (possibly forced to) and then killed there or in another location, then dumped in the park in a place where she was likely to be found quickly? Wouldn't that explain how nobody saw or heard anything? And how the park was able to be open the next day without the crime scene being roped off?

BGGS said (sorry, I bungled quoting your post):

"Does anybody think it's possible that she got into a vehicle (possibly forced to) and then killed there...."

Committing two vicious murders (in or out of the vehicle), getting into the park with a vehicle large enough to contain two bodies, transferring them from the vehicle onto park grounds, staging them some distance apart, returning to the vehicle , and leaving, all undetected, seems very difficult to me. However, I think it has to be considered.

Any way I try to imagine it, vehicle or not, it's unbearable.

LE did say they were killed inside the park, so they must have evidence of that. I hope. I personally wish they would have cordoned off the CS out of respect, at least for a few days.

Last edited:
IMO, KJ being in the rainbow crosswalk at 12:09 makes the most sense if she was going to go back to Henry's to walk home with EC after work. But obviously, she ended up in PP, so I guess not.

EC said in one interview that KJ would walk in PP late at night, but usually not go deep inside the park. I tend to think she might have entered the park for Bowie's sake. In the rainbow crosswalk photo, it looks like maybe the leash in her left hand has a bag or plastic pet waste dispenser (dog poop bags). There's a trash can right by the restroom (and various other places nearby), so maybe she had cleaned up Bowie's waste and was throwing it away near the RR when she was attacked. IDK.

The SR idea is interesting, and I definitely see the freaky similarities, but it seems significant to me that the killing happened on the 28th. I do know it was just barely the 28th. And I get the idea that it was still the 27th on the west coast, but in KJ's existence, and the killer's, it was the 28th. Jmo.

EC didn't forget her manners:

"Sir, I’m at the entrance of Piedmont Park," a frantic Clark told the 911 dispatcher. "I just was searching for my girlfriend's phone because I couldn’t find her. She’s dead! She’s here at Piedmont Park. Please help."

The 911 Operator repeats "Someone is dead at Piedmont Park?"

EC replies: "Yes, Sir. Please send help! Please."

It bothered me, too, that she dropped the F bomb when describing her girlfriend to the alarmed stranger. moo

Atlanta police release girlfriend’s 911 call in ‘gruesome’ Piedmont Park stabbing of woman and her dog

Last edited:
Mods, feel free to snip or delete if any of this isn't allowed...I want to open up a discussion but don't want to violate any rules.

I finished listening to the KJ episode of the Unresolved podcast, and it made me wonder something about the timeline and the location of the murder. We've all been asking for months now why it took so long for Katie to get from the rainbow crosswalk to where she was killed, why was she still out with Bowie on what would have been a really long walk and how was the murderer, who must have been covered in blood, able to walk away from the crime scene without being seen or noticed?

Does anybody think it's possible that she got into a vehicle (possibly forced to) and then killed there or in another location, then dumped in the park in a place where she was likely to be found quickly? Wouldn't that explain how nobody saw or heard anything? And how the park was able to be open the next day without the crime scene being roped off?
One scenario i have considered since the beginning is that Katie walked to Henry’s from the crosswalk intending to walk home with E. Katie and Bowie were abducted from henrys parking lot. Maybe a vehicle bumped them, hurting Bowie. The driver tells Katie to get in the car and they will drive Bowie to the 24 hr vet down the street…
Yes, this seems far fetched and most likely they were killed where they were found. But, I also think that them being killed where they were found hard to believe.

One scenario i have considered since the beginning is that Katie walked to Henry’s from the crosswalk intending to walk home with E. Katie and Bowie were abducted from henrys parking lot. Maybe a vehicle bumped them, hurting Bowie. The driver tells Katie to get in the car and they will drive Bowie to the 24 hr vet down the street…
Yes, this seems far fetched and most likely they were killed where they were found. But, I also think that them being killed where they were found hard to believe.

Same, because I keep coming back to -- sorry -- what a mess the crime scene must have been. Katie fought back. She was stabbed more than 50 times. Her wounds were serious. It's incomprehensible to me that the area where she was found wouldn't have had to be roped off/blocked from the public if that's actually where she was killed. I've never seen anything in MSM that says leaves or dirt or anything of that nature were taken from the park by LE, although of course it could have happened and we just don't know. But the fact that they never closed the park makes me wonder.

BGGS said (sorry, I bungled quoting your post):

"Does anybody think it's possible that she got into a vehicle (possibly forced to) and then killed there...."

Committing two vicious murders (in or out of the vehicle), getting into the park with a vehicle large enough to contain two bodies, transferring them from the vehicle onto park grounds, staging them some distance apart, returning to the vehicle , and leaving, all undetected, seems very difficult to me. However, I think it has to be considered.

Any way I try to imagine it, vehicle or not, it's unbearable.

LE did say they were killed inside the park, so they must have evidence of that. I hope. I personally wish they would have cordoned off the CS out of respect, at least for a few days.

I'm trying but failing to find the comment that said whether the entrance where she was found was accessible by vehicle. I thought someone said that it is, but I could be wrong -- maybe they said it's *not* and I'm mis-remembering.

Same, because I keep coming back to -- sorry -- what a mess the crime scene must have been. Katie fought back. She was stabbed more than 50 times. Her wounds were serious. It's incomprehensible to me that the area where she was found wouldn't have had to be roped off/blocked from the public if that's actually where she was killed. I've never seen anything in MSM that says leaves or dirt or anything of that nature were taken from the park by LE, although of course it could have happened and we just don't know. But the fact that they never closed the park makes me wonder.

They took a whole tree as evidence, or a least a huge branch.

There are odd details and rumors surrounding this case, so I, too, have considered the possibility that they were killed in a different location.

However, I think my biggest doubt about the use of a vehicle is due to the CA gate entrance camera, the same one from which we saw the footage of potential witnesses (ie. jogger). Unless the vehicle managed to enter the park at an entrance without a camera, then stayed just out of view of the CA camera while dumping the bodies, there would have to be footage of a vehicle, somewhere. But LE never even asked about anyone seeing a vehicle inside the park. And if the killer didn't enter through the CA gate, why drive from elsewhere in the park to dump them there specifically?

I also am uncertain why a killer would abduct both KJ and Bowie when Bowie could have just been left behind. And then to dump them 100 feet apart doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Idk, nothing is out of the question at this point, but these are just some of my random thoughts.

It’s a poor response, but poor responses are not that uncommon, unfortunately. And that’s from my pre-covid experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog