GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so sad, for the whole world actually...this is so horrendous...I feel so much anger towards the person who did this. Rest in peace wonderful woman....so sorry for your loved ones.....Love is love no matter who, what, where......

I know what you mean. I'm usually quite vocal on cases I follow but this one feels particularly sad and leaves me without many words.

I kind of wonder if the presence of the dog actually precipitated the attack. If the killer was lurking around, or otherwise acting threateningly, maybe the dog sensed danger (rightly so) and went after the killer first. Perhaps as this was happening, the victim either stepped in, or ran, before the killer turned to her. Just a random thought...

I know she was disfigured in some odd way because KJ's partner's father said so. He said they could not view her. Also, local news radio mentioned that there was some sort of marking on her.

So..the FBI...there are only a few reasons they would be involved here.
-Local Police asked them to be involved (possible killer's DNA from Bowie's mouth?)
-Hate crime (could be but the community as a whole is pro LGBTQ and not at all unusual, lots of easier targets could have been chosen)
-Something very weird or bizarre about the crime..could have similarities to other weird crimes.

To me, could be #1, #2 maybe, what was the "marking", could be #3 or, 1&3.

Honestly, I think we can all feel something is weird.

The whole thing is just terrible. Killer has to be a super messed up person to do all of that and the dog, too.

It occurred to me that if the killer was indeed someone Katie knew, they may have tried to stage the scene to look like a hate crime and provide a "motive" that deflected attention away from themselves.

It's "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time," right? (Sherlock Holmes reference.) Crimes of opportunity go for "soft targets"; anyone walking a pit bull is the opposite of a soft target. Even someone having a psychotic break would likely realize that the presence of the dog vastly increases their chance of being grievously injured themselves, and why risk that for an unspecific target? I'd betting all the marbles that Katie's killer was someone she (and Bowie) knew. So very sad, and I hope they are able to solve this one quickly and serve justice for Katie and Bowie.
I'm still leaning toward a random attack, but targeted could be possible. I'd like to know if her walking the dog at this time was normal/routine. Did she follow the same path every night? Those sort of things.

Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park

"Officials didn’t say that anyone involved in these photos is a suspect in the case, but it’s possible they could have seen something that can assist with the investigation. Officials also said that although another murder took place near Stone Mountain hours after Janness’ murder, there is no indication that the two murders were carried out by the same person or that they’re related in any way."
Is the runner Wearing a bike helmet?

Is the runner Wearing a bike helmet?
Looks like a big hat, maybe just a glare, hope all the potential witnesses come forward soon!
Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park
witness5.jpg

I think it's just a headlamp on the runner, but the oddest thing about him to me is that he appears to have turned to enter the park and then exited again 30 seconds later, as if abruptly changing his mind -- seems like of all the included possible witnesses, he is the mostly likely to have seen something (and something that made him decide to go a different way -- maybe a confrontation in progress?).

The timing of 12:25am makes this seem highly unlikely to me. I can't find the timestamp from the picture of Katie walking across the rainbow crosswalk, but I believe it was between 12-12:15am. For the murders to happen near 10th street entrance and then leave from the 12th street entrance seems highly unlikely due to the distance. Only possibility is if the murders happened within seconds and he sprinted as fast as possible.

That individual also appears to be moving at a casual stroll (while looking down at a cell phone no less), which certainly doesn't seem like the behavior of someone who just committed a violent murder, even if they were trying to play it cool/not appear suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1