GA - Kendrick Johnson, 17, Suspicious Death, Jan. 10/11, 2013, #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendrick Johnson Update: Ga. Sec. of State investigating funeral home that handled teen's remains after gym-mat death

From your link:

"In addition to addressing the issue of the deceased's organs, the written statement from Harrington Funeral Home attorney Roy Copeland justifies its use of newspaper to stuff Johnson's body, saying it is in conformity with burial protocol."

It sounds like the Funeral Home is admitting that they stuffed KJ's body with newspaper.

I caught that too and it doesn't make sense. It would be nice if the so-called journalists who are reporting this story would make an effort to get their "facts" straight.

What I am wondering, is if they are insinuating that this kid somehow snuck into the school that day. I believe the police reports mention they verified the boys whereabouts and he was not seen anywhere on the video cameras.

So is this one of the kids mentioned on the police reports and he doesn't even attend school there anymore?

From your link:

"In addition to addressing the issue of the deceased's organs, the written statement from Harrington Funeral Home attorney Roy Copeland justifies its use of newspaper to stuff Johnson's body, saying it is in conformity with burial protocol."

It sounds like the Funeral Home is admitting that they stuffed KJ's body with newspaper.

At least it is being investigated. I find it very suspect that this wasn't brought to light as a bombshell until five months after the second autopsy.

When the rubber meets the road, the most this proves is that's gross but not much more. The organs had already been autopsied and Anderson used slides from the examined organs in his autopsy - as, IIRC, is SOP.
JMO

So according to the Daily Mail article, the altercation was between KJ, who was a freshman and the other kid, who was a senior? So, the other kid should have graduated and not even been attending the school at the time of KJ's death?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gym-mat-claims-bullied-boy.html#ixzz2jjOQScbL

A video tape from the bus surveillance would clear the fight sequence and severity up - according to Jones (same article), it was a "shoving" match.

Body Found at Lowndes County High School

Mother said she received a text after KJ's body was found which read (in part?): "We have had a very bad scare today, a student has been found deceased"
Reporter: The message also said the school was under lockdown"
also
Reporter: "Sheriff's officials say they don't believe there's foul play in this case"
Video posted on January 12, 2012 - broadcast was likely on Jaunuary 11, 2012.

What I am wondering, is if they are insinuating that this kid somehow snuck into the school that day. I believe the police reports mention they verified the boys whereabouts and he was not seen anywhere on the video cameras.

So is this one of the kids mentioned on the police reports and he doesn't even attend school there anymore?

Good question. I've been trying to figure that out too. I wish they'd replaced the minors' names with numbers so we could tell who is who.

Really good post - thanks!
Let's say the gym's low ambient light that day kept KJ from seeing items in openings in vertically stored mats (although I did not search weather data, or google maps to look for skylights in school's old gym).

LE's investigation reports stated that KJ's phone was found in his pocket or w him in the mat and was held for researching incoming and outgoing calls, etc.

My Unscientific Experiment
W. my ancient cell lacking a light app, I stepped into a walkin closet, closed the door, held phone in hand over my head at 7+ feet, simply flipped it open (as if to dial) and it threw enough light that I could distinguish one pair of sneakers from another.

Possible Sequence for KJ?
Video showed KJ walking into the old gym.
Can anyone see at that point if his shoes are unlaced or partially unlaced as many teens wear them?

All IMO:
1. He walked to top of 3-row (IIRC) bleacher set, stepped onto some of ~20 vertically stored, closeby IIRC, mats.

2. He used phone to light mat openings, then ID'ed his shoe, then returned cell to his pocket, then laid atop mats.

3. Lying atop mats, he reached down into opening,

4. Where shoe was, in mat.
(A) Partway down mat opening
Is it possible a shoe would get stuck in ~13-14" wide opening by simply being crossways in the opening?
Possibly shoe snagged on mat button, or shoe eyelet caught on a loose mat string.
If shoe was stuck only partway-down, it's understandable that he would reach down.
Or possibly his reaching to partway-down shoe dislodged it, knocking it to floor.
(B) On gym floor
Possiblywhen he first saw it, shoe was on gym floor.
Some have posted they can't imagine anyone trying reach that far.
I imagine a narrow-build, 3-sport teen athlete like KJ, esp. with a youthful, impetuous mindset, would reach for it.
(Teens like this would reach for it? Oh yes. Me? My better half? Anyone I know in RL? Fuggiddaboutit.)

5. Initially he put only his upper body into opening, then continued reaching, then lost his hold and fell.

6. In trying to break his fall, he broke some left hand or right hand fingernails on the mat. Or broke right hand fingernails on landing on floor (IIRC his rigor mortis made it appear he had been reaching down into mat w his right arm, while his left arm was against his torso, w. hand down ~hip level).

6. In falling all the way into opening, his head hit the floor.

7. He tried to propel himself back up or otherwise escape the mat and - .
(A) In moving hands and arms against mat, perhaps even against his pants, he may have broken (more) fingernails.
(B) IIRC, LE rpt said cell was found in his pants pocket. If cellwas found with him but not actually in pocket, his fall into an inverted position accounts for cell not in pocket.
(C) He kicked his legs around, causing his (possibly partially or entirely unlaced?) shoes to come off his feet and socks to slip down, w sock toes looking floppy like they were in process of being removed.

8. Since his mouth was then at bottom of narrow opening with his body above mufflling any sounds he may have made and that mat being muffled by the other mats around it, students arriving in the gym after him did not hear any sounds he may have made.

9. Within a short time (~10 min?) after fall, he was rendered unconscious so made no cries for help or of pain.

To me, the above sequence

answers several questions raised over and over -
- how he got on vertically stored mats,
- how he saw into openings, either ambient light or cell phone light,
- his reaching for shoe, whether only partway down or on floor,
- shoes he was wearing being found off his feet, but still in mat
- socks he was wearing being loose or floppy on his feet,
- people not reporting that they heard any sounds from him,
- short fingernails, if in fact, he had not clipped them himself,
- location of cell when found, whether in pocket on w him,

and

explains it plausibly as an accident, not a murder covered up by a vast conspiracy involving students, students' families, school staff, county sheriff personnel, county coroner, city PD personnel, state LE, state ME, etc.

JM2cts, JMO, IMO, MOO, and I may be wrong. :seeya:

This is a terrible tragedy, but I do believe it is a freak accident. So sad.

He was upside down for, IIRC, 16 hours in a rolled up cheerleading mat. I think it's just what the person or persons, who put up the facebook want those unfamiliar with the case to think - it causes immediate support without question. Why else use such a horrific picture.

They've known for a while that his face was not disfigured from being beaten, anything after that knowledge is deception by the owner of the page.

According to two autopsies, there was no sign of inflicted trauma at all on his face...all post mortem.

Thanks for replying V. As you can tell, I haven't been following this case that close,(been working on cold cases). I need to do research before opening my mouth or using my KB. :) :loveyou:

He was upside down for, IIRC, 16 hours in a rolled up cheerleading mat. I think it's just what the person or persons, who put up the facebook want those unfamiliar with the case to think - it causes immediate support without question. Why else use such a horrific picture.

They've known for a while that his face was not disfigured from being beaten, anything after that knowledge is deception by the owner of the page.

According to two autopsies, there was no sign of inflicted trauma at all on his face...all post mortem.

The problem is the second autopsy said there was injury not consistent with positioning.. That there was bruising to his face.

I think that picture shows just how horrid the death was. If it was a murder, or manslaughter all the more horrific.

The problem is the second autopsy said there was injury not consistent with positioning.. That there was bruising to his face.

I think that picture shows just how horrid the death was. If it was a murder, or manslaughter all the more horrific.
Dr.Anderson from Florida who was hired to do a 2nd autopsy noted bruising to his neck. Neither the Doc at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation or Anderson noted there was any trauma or bruising to his face. I think we need Dr. Cycil and Dr. Braden to do a third autopsy.

If they cleaned, why was there blood on the walls in that corner? the " old" blood that one investigator claimed was not from "our crime" ( which i thought was strange anyways)

Also I have a question , about the student who was both with KJ when he entered the gym and at the same time on the other side of the school.
Can someone tell me how much " passing time" between classes is allotted at the school?
TIA

I have been seeing posters not believing that old blood would be left on the walls and I would have agreed, until I moved to my current southern state. Our schools are FILTHY! FILTHY! My daughters first year I took a pressure washer to the bathrooms on her wing because they reeked of urine so badly. Every year I would volunteer before school began and we, my kids and I, would go sanitize their rooms. Chairs, desks, etc. I am not a clean freak but brown marks on doors where they are opened and closed, faucets that are thick with muck from not being wiped down, and bathrooms that are mopped once a month if lucky were too foul to ignore. I have seen dried blood, urine, feces, vomit, food, etc. everywhere in their schools. Custodians do not care, admin is worried about other things, and the health dept doesn't care because it is a govt run school. Blood left on the walls, sadly, doesnt raise the hinky meter for me any more. MOO

Dr.Anderson from Florida who was hired to do a 2nd autopsy noted bruising to his neck. Neither the Doc at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation or Anderson noted there was any trauma or bruising to his face. I think we need Dr. Cycil and Dr. Braden to do a third autopsy.

I think we do need another autopsy. I would love it if Baden got involved.

I just still see too much that says to me he was not alone. I need those answers.

"a second autopsy commissioned by the family found the teen died of blunt force trauma."

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Kendrick-Johnson-Death-210482521.html

"The pathologist also concluded the teenager died from blunt force trauma near his carotid artery and that the fatal blow appeared to be non-accidental."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...se-of-school-video-in-ga-teens-gym-mat-death/

I can not discount this. Not for a minute. If there is even a possibility that it was not an accident it has to be investigated and re investigated until there is a clear answer.

Question for all of you wonderful sleuthers...........That before and after pic on his justice page, is that second picture really Kendrick?

I believe KJ's death was a freak accident. But the whole "who has/had the internal organs" and newspaper being used to fill the body is a whiskey tango foxtrot situation. Jmo
"The statement quotes Lowndes County Coroner Bill Watson as saying: "In this case, the Viscera, which is the internal organs, were not sent back with the body for disposition. It was confirmed by Mr. Bryan, (a death investigator with the crime lab), who was present at the autopsy, that the viscera were disposed of due to decomposition of the same.'"

When contacted by Crimesider on Friday, coroner Watson first said he has no idea what happened to Johnson's organs.

"I don't know anything about that," Watson said. "What difference does it make? What does it matter to the case?""

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...at-handled-teens-remains-after-gym-mat-death/

Question for all of you wonderful sleuthers...........That before and after pic on his justice page, is that second picture really Kendrick?

Yes. Blood pooled to his head and face because he was upside down for so long after his heart stopped beating.

And he had started decomposing.

There was no trauma to his face noted on either autopsy report.

Where did you see that the autopsy said bruising to the face?

Are you talking about the pooled blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members