GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct.
The FM (mom) claims her son, McD, had authority to enter those apartments.
FM also claims McD threw the hacksaw in the trash.
FM also claims the maintenance man took the hacksaw out of the trash.
FM also claims Maintenance Man killed Lauren.
FM also said that BOTH of the keys (master and Lauren's) were planted inside McD's apt by the real killer.

Buford said his client claims he is innocent of burglary,
Buford said his client claims he is innocent of murder.

You have the right to believe the FM and McD.
I have the right to believe they are both lying, and I do.

I am pretty sure I didn't say anything about believing them.

I don't think he could have done it if it were severe. And violence is not a thing they usually have. Very, very rare for them to have psychotic breaks.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002493/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4345/is_12_32/ai_n29146842/

Well, we may never know. I know he will never see the "light of day" even if they have an insanity plea, but it would give me a little closure...I am afraid that Lauren's family will never feel the same.

I do think that McD targeted Lauren because she was significant to him, and that this was not a random, chance event. But many of the aspects of the murder make me wonder if perhaps McD was a serial killer in the making; if whether the only reason there are not more victims is because he got caught the first time he tried.

This article summarizes the progression of serial killers, and a lot of it is eerily reminiscent to McD. Except that McD is something of a weird amalgamation of the "organized" and "disorganized" offender types, showing traits of both. The profile of the type of serial killer McD, from the article, also hits close to home:

In summarizing both developmental theories and individual case studies of serial murderers ... the following picture emerges: an individual who spends excessive time in a reverie of deviant fantasy and has a tendency toward isolation, a need for totally submissive partners and a preference for autoerotic pleasure. (S)uch an individual will have a lack of healthy relationships and subsequently must depend on fantasy for gratification. At some point, mere fantasy becomes an insufficient source of pleasure for the potential offender. ... During a burglary, the offender may steal fetishistic items for sexual pleasure, such as undergarments. When this fails to provide sufficient satisfaction, the offender may progress to rape and ultimately murder.​

McD's theft of the condoms seems like a significant clue in figuring out what was going on with him. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, have commented that Lauren's murder is not the kind of offense that someone just starts out with. But the murder was not necessarily the start -- it could have been the result of a very quick progression. Sexually motivated burglary is often a precursor crime, and it very much seems like, to McD, the single condom he stole from each apartment was both a voyeuristic and a fetishistic act -- knowing exactly where and how his neighbors kept an item they used for sex, and taking the item for himself, gave him a thrill.

The excerpt from this book has some more specific examples, showing a fairly strong link between serial killing and cat burglaries.

Lauren's murder has gotten so much attention, in part, because it is very much not a normal crime, and doesn't fit with any usual pattern. But I think maybe the reason it doesn't seem like the usual acquaintance murder is because it wasn't one at all -- it was a serial killer's first hit.

I do think that McD targeted Lauren because she was significant to him, and that this was not a random, chance event. But many of the aspects of the murder make me wonder if perhaps McD was a serial killer in the making; if whether the only reason there are not more victims is because he got caught the first time he tried.

This article summarizes the progression of serial killers, and a lot of it is eerily reminiscent to McD. Except that McD is something of a weird amalgamation of the "organized" and "disorganized" offender types, showing traits of both. The profile of the type of serial killer McD seems to fit, from the article, also hits close to home:

In summarizing both developmental theories and individual case studies of serial murderers ... the following picture emerges: an individual who spends excessive time in a reverie of deviant fantasy and has a tendency toward isolation, a need for totally submissive partners and a preference for autoerotic pleasure. (S)uch an individual will have a lack of healthy relationships and subsequently must depend on fantasy for gratification. At some point, mere fantasy becomes an insufficient source of pleasure for the potential offender. ... During a burglary, the offender may steal fetishistic items for sexual pleasure, such as undergarments. When this fails to provide sufficient satisfaction, the offender may progress to rape and ultimately murder.​

McD's theft of the condoms seems like a significant clue in figuring out what was going on with him. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, have commented that Lauren's murder is not the kind of offense that someone just starts out with. But the murder was not necessarily the start -- it could have been the result of a very quick progression. Sexually motivated burglary is often a precursor crime, and it very much seems like, to McD, the single condom he stole from each apartment was both a voyeuristic and a fetishistic act -- knowing exactly where and how his neighbors kept an item they used for sex, and taking the item for himself, gave him a thrill.

The excerpt from this book has some more specific examples, showing a fairly strong link between serial killing and cat burglaries.

Lauren's murder has gotten so much attention, in part, because it is very much not a normal crime, and doesn't fit with any usual pattern. But I think maybe the reason it doesn't seem like the usual acquaintance murder is because it wasn't one at all -- it was a serial killer's first hit.

Great post Hyrax.
I have wondered about McD IF he had gotten away with this murder...it may have provided an addicting high which required more of the same. This is how Ted Bundy evolved.

LOL :back: I know the feeling. :spinner: :rolling::rolling:

At the risk of doing this, :deadhorse:, let me give it one more shot. These first two lines are the writers' intro:

This is where the writers tell us what information the article contains. They start with a zinger to grab our attention. The sentences aren't quotes, or even paraphrased statements. They are strictly the writers words. It is literally she (Mrs. McD) says he (McD) says, rather "admits".

In a truthful, well-written article, the opening statement would be followed by quotations, or paraphrased quotes, to support the assertions made in the intro. This article, however, fails to deliver because, as I pointed out in my previous post, Mrs. McD does not say that McD "admits" to purchasing the hacksaw used in the crime, the one on which LG's DNA was found. It's a ridiculous claim to begin with because Mrs. McD has no way knowing if the hacksaws are one in the same. And if she did, she certainly would not tell a reporter.

Regarding the hacksaw, we learn from Mrs. McD only that 1) her son bought one in April; 2) it came in the packaging found in his apartment; 4) he used it to cut a Bradford pear tree limb that fell in a storm; 4) it broke, and he threw it away. Then she speculates that the MM "could have" taken it from the trash.

This is not an admission, but merely an explanation (excuse) for the packaging found in his apartment.

The End ;)

:deadhorse: BEAT IT GIRL! I am totally with you. I am a stickler for wording, as well. Although, after an Ambien at 1 AM you would know it!
I think a great deal of our confusion is coming from different wording in the media "relaying" the facts.
I told myself that I wasn't going to say anything...but here we go.
I can swear to you that the first article that I read said that there were signs in the Barristers Hall Apartment complex parking lot stating that you were on camera past a certian part.

Then I would swear that the same article said that McD was charged with two unsolved/unrelated burglary charges from 2008 and 2009. That suggests that these condom thefts were reported, which I do not think they were, and that they might have suspected a theif amongst their community.

I think this was just terrible wording and I do not think that this was the case.

My only point is that SM has not admitted guilt. In fact, he denies it.

SC,
I certainly agree with your comment above and venture to say that he will most likely NEVER admit guilt.
Isnt that true with criminals when they get caught?
They plead innocent.
And the family members are always the last to believe their loved one could commit the crime.
Therefore, when he says he is innocent, his words fall on my deaf ears.
It is water on a duck's back.
What does bother me is how he and his FM have tried to pin this on an innocent man.

They can't clear a different person because of McD? That doesn't make any sense to me. You are looking at this as an emotional thing. Logically, it is simply a statement from a third party, not by the officials. That is all anyone has said. There has been a lot of frustration over what LE will and will not confirm about other people, not even talking about McD, but those they COULD clear. Look at the statement as if it were about a total stranger, not your buddy.

I don't think anyone said he did it. Just that LE isn't confirming it. That info from the attorney is just lawyer speak. If we believe lawyers, then you must believe McD is innocent because his lawyer said so. It isn't fact from a lawyer's mouth, just words.

I believe that McD's atty says "Mr. McD insists that he is not guilty."
I want my atty to say "My client had absolutely nothing to do with the tragic death of Ms. Giddings."

Great post Hyrax.
I have wondered about McD IF he had gotten away with this murder...it may have provided an addicting high which required more of the same. This is how Ted Bundy evolved.

I think Hyrax hit the nail on the head! :gavel:

This article summarizes the progression of serial killers, and a lot of it is eerily reminiscent to McD. Except that McD is something of a weird amalgamation of the "organized" and "disorganized" offender types, showing traits of both. The profile of the type of serial killer McD, from the article, also hits close to home:

I think if it gets to that point, where his psych evaluation comes back with something weird and the evidence that is released is sensational, then I think we will hear more and more about what kind of killer he would have turned into.

A friend of mine dated a guy that the FBI later came back to state that he would have gone through alternating periods of killing rampages and then hibernation, should he have gotten away with murder. Can you imagine having to start dating again after that?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4345/is_12_32/ai_n29146842/

Well, we may never know. I know he will never see the "light of day" even if they have an insanity plea, but it would give me a little closure...I am afraid that Lauren's family will never feel the same.

Ah, but that diagnosis was for multiple mental illnesses together. Not just the one. I was responding to the one. Schizotypal Personality Disorder. Anytime you toss psychopath or sociopath into the mix, violence is a possibility.

VERY good point.

I keep waiting to hear about deviant behavior at a younger age. Not necessarily violence, but deviance. Some things have began being discussed, sadly, without context it is hard to tell. My daughter's best friend used to hiss at people all the time. Drove me nuts, but she isn't a killer now. It was something from some stupid show she used to watch. For a while, my daughter even did it. :p And the fingernail thing goes with what a lot of kids into the gothic phase liked. I never read he intentionally scratched people. I am wondering where these stories are.

Also, I am curious about his interest in other areas. Does anyone know if McD had interest in vampires or werewolves? There is a culture of people who are deep into that lifestyle. Some of them are really creepy, going as far as drinking blood. Some may even go further. If he has that in his past, it could help identify where the realm of this kind of crime developed. There are other ways it can develop. I am trying to go through them based on what we can find. I haven't heard this as an option. With the long nails and such, it does pop in my mind as feasible.

I am trying to understand how a young man on the path to a bright future could slip into such darkness.

SC,
I certainly agree with your comment above and venture to say that he will most likely NEVER admit guilt.
Isnt that true with criminals when they get caught?
They plead innocent.
And the family members are always the last to believe their loved one could commit the crime.
Therefore, when he says he is innocent, his words fall on my deaf ears.
It is water on a duck's back.
What does bother me is how he and his FM have tried to pin this on an innocent man.

I agree. I have about a million thoughts on it. I just don't think he is humane enough to do so...for any reason.

I think people are having a hard time processing that someone would actually take an innocent man and throw him under the bus. The murder is def sick sick sick, but to throw someone under this BIG HUGE BUS is an "extra whip cream with a cherry on top" COLD. I think people are using their heads and hearts saying "well, maybe McD is innocent, because he is pointing the finger at someone else...and no one would do that unless they were desperately innocent or had very good information about the MM."
...but I do not think that McD thinks remotely the way we do. I really think he feels justified. I think he has made a judgement on MM for whatever reason and he doesn't have a problem with getting MM off of the streets....and not for murder, but because McD thinks MM was unworthy of law school or was an agent of The Devil or something to that degree.

I think he is incapable of forming honest relationships, so I think he has been going into these apartments and forming judgements on these people. I think he is Schizotypal and honestly believes that "The Devil" can make you do things in times of weakness. I think he has been told this his whole life, which just compounded the problem.
I think he has made some serious judgements against the men and women in Law School and in the apartment complex. I think he connected with Lauren to the maximum of his ability. I think he read her emails and thought that they had a connection. I think he was sexually frustrated. I think he read her niceness as reciprocation. I think he had no clue how to take it further.
If it was sexual in nature, I believe that he kept just the torso because he struggled with basic sexual desire being "bad" and even sex before marriage as "bad."
You can fill in the blanks with what AA has speculated.
I think he ran out of time and dumped her body.
I think it didn't really occur to him that he would be a suspect, because I ultimately thinks he is a Christian/Good person. I think he always thought that MM would be a suspect, because I think he has made some serious judgement calls on his behavior over the years. McD might have been PISSED that someone as "terrible" in his mind was given the job as "Resident Contact." Maybe he tested him from time to time and MM was actually the one who gave him the bump key. McD might have just added this to his list of problems that he had with MM as the Resident Contact. Maybe he feels MM is responsible ultimately because he has been so careless with his position in the past.

This of course is :twocents:

I keep waiting to hear about deviant behavior at a younger age. Not necessarily violence, but deviance. Some things have began being discussed, sadly, without context it is hard to tell. My daughter's best friend used to hiss at people all the time. Drove me nuts, but she isn't a killer now. It was something from some stupid show she used to watch. For a while, my daughter even did it. :p And the fingernail thing goes with what a lot of kids into the gothic phase liked. I never read he intentionally scratched people. I am wondering where these stories are.

Also, I am curious about his interest in other areas. Does anyone know if McD had interest in vampires or werewolves? There is a culture of people who are deep into that lifestyle. Some of them are really creepy, going as far as drinking blood. Some may even go further. If he has that in his past, it could help identify where the realm of this kind of crime developed. There are other ways it can develop. I am trying to go through them based on what we can find. I haven't heard this as an option. With the long nails and such, it does pop in my mind as feasible.

I am trying to understand how a young man on the path to a bright future could slip into such darkness.

Well, he supposedly was so obsessed with zombies that he believed a zombie apocalypse was imminent and was dead serious about it, but that probably plays into the fantasy/survivalism thing :waitasec:

Well, he supposedly was so obsessed with zombies that he believed a zombie apocalypse was imminent and was dead serious about it, but that probably plays into the fantasy/survivalism thing :waitasec:

I thought it was just a video game. I didn't know he was into the lifestyle about zombies. What do people who are into the zombie apocalypse lifestyle do? I have read about the vampire and werewolf lifestyle people, but this one is new to me. Do they practice being a zombie?

When I was in school, we had a running joke about Zombie Preparedness that was treated with complete seriousness.

Because zombies are not a laughing matter. If the zombie apocalypse came right now, in this bar or this classroom, etc., what would you grab for a weapon, and what would your escape plan be? You have ten seconds to answer. If you give the wrong answer, you are not invited to be on my zombie survival team. Make a decision, quick!

... Maybe McD was doing something similar? Only completely by himself, so it made him seem even more like a freak than we did. :rolleyes:

Also, I am curious about his interest in other areas. Does anyone know if McD had interest in vampires or werewolves? There is a culture of people who are deep into that lifestyle. Some of them are really creepy, going as far as drinking blood. Some may even go further. If he has that in his past, it could help identify where the realm of this kind of crime developed. There are other ways it can develop. I am trying to go through them based on what we can
find. I haven't heard this as an option. With the long nails and such, it does pop in my mind as feasible.

Here is article, please see also the wonderful time Bessie put into making a section just for articles, where each of us can refer back to find stuff out Bout this case. It is a few pages back

http://lilburn.patch.com/articles/murder-charge-draws-local-reaction

"Yount said he remembers that McDaniel attended church often and that he randomly scratched people with his long fingernails."

Not to be argumentative but rather I just wanted to point out that fellow 2011 graduate and neighbor to both LG and SM, David Whitmire stated that the importance of the day that SM missed was known to be one of the most important sessions of the entire BarBri prep classes, so much so that students who attended this particular day's session were known to score a full 15-20 points higher on the bar exam than those who did not attend this particular day's session..

DW stated this is why he was so shocked to see that SM was a no show that morning of the 30th for that particularly important session.. He also made the statement that he lived directly behind LG and SM so he literally would walk right directly past SM's apt every morning on his way to campus for the BarBri sessions.. He said the morning of the 30th when he passed by the apt everything was as still and quiet as could be, no movement, no sounds, just quiet.. That at that time LE had not yet returned to BH apts to begin that morning's search along with busing SM and the group if Lauren's friends to the station to question them for a couple hours..

DW makes these statements in yesterday's article on Macon.com titled something to the effect of SM having missed this important session of Barbri Prep.. The actual link is posted 2 pages back..

Not to be argumentative but rather I just wanted to point out that fellow 2011 graduate and neighbor to both LG and SM, David Whitmire stated that the importance of the day that SM missed was known to be one of the most important sessions of the entire BarBri prep classes, so much so that students who attended this particular day's session were known to score a full 15-20 points higher on the bar exam than those who did not attend this particular day's session..

DW stated this is why he was so shocked to see that SM was a no show that morning of the 30th for that particularly important session.. He also made the statement that he lived directly behind LG and SM so he literally would walk right directly past SM's apt every morning on his way to campus for the BarBri sessions.. He said the morning of the 30th when he passed by the apt everything was as still and quiet as could be, no movement, no sounds, just quiet.. That at that time LE had not yet returned to BH apts to begin that morning's search along with busing SM and the group if Lauren's friends to the station to question them for a couple hours..

DW makes these statements in yesterday's article on Macon.com titled something to the effect of SM having missed this important session of Barbri Prep.. The actual link is posted 2 pages back..

It's of particular importance for people who don't score well on the practice exam, and considered largely a waste of time by those who score well.

Don't take my word for it, though. You can read about it on this discussion board about BarBri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel