GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that EVERY session is available online to watch later. If SM was tired, he could have slept in and watched it at noon if he wanted to.

Whether or not SM needed to attend the (subjectively intepreted) important BarBri class on the 30th, is not as important as the fact that it was very uncharacteristic of him to miss a class at all. Ever. Totally broke the pattern of behavior with that one, and it simply adds another odd behavior to the list of things that don't quite add up. :twocents:

I believe that McD's atty says "Mr. McD insists that he is not guilty."
I want my atty to say "My client had absolutely nothing to do with the tragic death of Ms. Giddings."

If I ever do what I think McD did, I do not need an attorney.
Please call 911, take me away, and put me out of my misery!

I found a thorough statement analysis online (of SMD's news interview transcribed) which is pretty interesting...

Note: a lot of things about this case are 'interesting'... doesn't mean I believe one person or another is guilty or not guilty, just that there is plenty of information out there that attracts my curiosity... I do, however, believe in a person's innocence until they are PROVEN guilty...

Mods.. are we allowed to link to blogs, or no? If not, can I just tell how to find the statement analysis link? because it is a pretty common site.... tia...

I looked up the Statement Analysis on MCD's interview and it was extremely interesting, especially as it pertains to the email.

http://***************************/2011/08/-stephen-mcdaniel.html

As I stated the post was not to be argumentative, nor was it stated that I personally did not believe that the session was not important.. Personally it is an aspect that doesn't do anything for me either way be it that it was the most important day of the program or be it that it was known as a session that did not matter to many depending on what they'd scored on the practice test..

Again my only reason for the post was due to a statement made by someone who had first hand knowledge about this summer's BarBri prep sessions that he personally attended along side SM.. Who also was a fellow graduate and classmate of both LG's and SM's.. And that some may find his statement relevant in some way..

For me there is nothing of importance either way..

LOL :back: I know the feeling. :spinner: :rolling::rolling:

At the risk of doing this, :deadhorse:, let me give it one more shot. These first two lines are the writers' intro:

This is where the writers tell us what information the article contains. They start with a zinger to grab our attention. The sentences aren't quotes, or even paraphrased statements. They are strictly the writers words. It is literally she (Mrs. McD) says he (McD) says, rather "admits".

In a truthful, well-written article, the opening statement would be followed by quotations, or paraphrased quotes, to support the assertions made in the intro. This article, however, fails to deliver because, as I pointed out in my previous post, Mrs. McD does not say that McD "admits" to purchasing the hacksaw used in the crime, the one on which LG's DNA was found. It's a ridiculous claim to begin with because Mrs. McD has no way knowing if the hacksaws are one in the same. And if she did, she certainly would not tell a reporter.

Regarding the hacksaw, we learn from Mrs. McD only that 1) her son bought one in April; 2) it came in the packaging found in his apartment; 4) he used it to cut a Bradford pear tree limb that fell in a storm; 4) it broke, and he threw it away. Then she speculates that the MM "could have" taken it from the trash.

This is not an admission, but merely an explanation (excuse) for the packaging found in his apartment.

The End ;)

Thanks so much Bessie for taking the time to give it one more shot and attempt to dummy it down for me..lol.. I got it this go around!!! (I think a couple of hours of much needed sleep heavily attributed to my brain being able to absorb your last shot at attempting to help me understand..lol)

Glad we got that all cleared up..

Carry on now..lol :D

McDaniel is being held at the Bibb County jail at least until his commitment hearing, which has been rescheduled from Aug. 17 to Aug. 26.

Rescheduling the hearing was necessary because the lead detective in the case will be unavailable to attend the Aug. 17 hearing, said District Attorney Greg Winters.

Ever since day one, LE's tactic seems to have been "stall, stall, stall".
To me, this certainly seems like a convenient continuation of this tactic.
IMO, this has been done to give the FBI lab all the time possible to process evidence.
They apparently got some of this back, but according to LG's father,
they are looking for DNA evidence to directly tie SM to the crime.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/...ather-Police-Lean-Toward-McDaniel-as-Suspect-
I guess it's bothering me that they seem to still be waiting for this.

I have no doubt they have what they need for probable cause at the commitment hearing.
But, are they concerned they may not have enough for the Grand Jury indictment?
This also seems to play into all the discussion here about LE taking a "no comment"
stance on questions about DD/MM.
If they were confident they have enough evidence at this point, why would they not
simply come out and unequivocally clear this man's name?

Is it possible that SM cleaned up so well that the DA might have to convict him on circumstantial evidence alone?

Is this why they decided those scratches on the tub were worth actually removing the tub?

Questions, questions... I guess I've just had an uneasy feeling all day... :dunno:

I do think that McD targeted Lauren because she was significant to him, and that this was not a random, chance event. But many of the aspects of the murder make me wonder if perhaps McD was a serial killer in the making; if whether the only reason there are not more victims is because he got caught the first time he tried.

This article summarizes the progression of serial killers, and a lot of it is eerily reminiscent to McD. Except that McD is something of a weird amalgamation of the "organized" and "disorganized" offender types, showing traits of both. The profile of the type of serial killer McD, from the article, also hits close to home:

In summarizing both developmental theories and individual case studies of serial murderers ... the following picture emerges: an individual who spends excessive time in a reverie of deviant fantasy and has a tendency toward isolation, a need for totally submissive partners and a preference for autoerotic pleasure. (S)uch an individual will have a lack of healthy relationships and subsequently must depend on fantasy for gratification. At some point, mere fantasy becomes an insufficient source of pleasure for the potential offender. ... During a burglary, the offender may steal fetishistic items for sexual pleasure, such as undergarments. When this fails to provide sufficient satisfaction, the offender may progress to rape and ultimately murder.​

McD's theft of the condoms seems like a significant clue in figuring out what was going on with him. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, have commented that Lauren's murder is not the kind of offense that someone just starts out with. But the murder was not necessarily the start -- it could have been the result of a very quick progression. Sexually motivated burglary is often a precursor crime, and it very much seems like, to McD, the single condom he stole from each apartment was both a voyeuristic and a fetishistic act -- knowing exactly where and how his neighbors kept an item they used for sex, and taking the item for himself, gave him a thrill.

The excerpt from this book has some more specific examples, showing a fairly strong link between serial killing and cat burglaries.

Lauren's murder has gotten so much attention, in part, because it is very much not a normal crime, and doesn't fit with any usual pattern. But I think maybe the reason it doesn't seem like the usual acquaintance murder is because it wasn't one at all -- it was a serial killer's first hit.

I really agree with this! I think he is a serial killer in the making or he has done it before?

Just an FYI that bessie posted about yesterday that some may have missed..

With very good reason there are some websites that are bloccked here at WS.. Meaning we are unable to successfully post a link to certain questionable websites.. There is no specific list of all the websites that are blocked(ATLEAST that I'm Aware of).. But how one is able to know that a certain link to a site is blocked is that when you post the link it shows up as a long continuous link of asterisks where the websites name would normally be.. An example of what it'll look like:
Http://www.*******************.com/

If this shows up in your post then you know it is a website that is blocked and therefor not a link that is allowed at WS..

As i said there is good reason for the links to have been blocked and many times it is due to questionable content of some type that is associated with the particular website..

Hope that Helps to any who may not be aware of the fact that some sites are blocked and may have missed bessie's post about this yesterday..:)

Did anyone post the link to Angel's site after Bessie gave the OK to do so? I'm sure it's listed in an obvious location, but I can't find it. Thanks!

It seems to me that SM's sudden recall and far-fetched story of seeing the MM on LG's balcony is especially damning. If SM and his mother had just kept quiet and simply insisted on his innocence without details I might still have some doubt about his guilt and would withhold judgment until further hard evidence is presented. But SM's attempt to implicate someone who is said to have a strong alibi suggests to me that he was lying about seeing the MM. And why would he lie if he had nothing to hide?

I agree. I have about a million thoughts on it. I just don't think he is humane enough to do so...for any reason.

I think people are having a hard time processing that someone would actually take an innocent man and throw him under the bus. The murder is def sick sick sick, but to throw someone under this BIG HUGE BUS is an "extra whip cream with a cherry on top" COLD. I think people are using their heads and hearts saying "well, maybe McD is innocent, because he is pointing the finger at someone else...and no one would do that unless they were desperately innocent or had very good information about the MM."
...but I do not think that McD thinks remotely the way we do. I really think he feels justified. I think he has made a judgement on MM for whatever reason and he doesn't have a problem with getting MM off of the streets....and not for murder, but because McD thinks MM was unworthy of law school or was an agent of The Devil or something to that degree.

I think he is incapable of forming honest relationships, so I think he has been going into these apartments and forming judgements on these people. I think he is Schizotypal and honestly believes that "The Devil" can make you do things in times of weakness. I think he has been told this his whole life, which just compounded the problem.
I think he has made some serious judgements against the men and women in Law School and in the apartment complex. I think he connected with Lauren to the maximum of his ability. I think he read her emails and thought that they had a connection. I think he was sexually frustrated. I think he read her niceness as reciprocation. I think he had no clue how to take it further.
If it was sexual in nature, I believe that he kept just the torso because he struggled with basic sexual desire being "bad" and even sex before marriage as "bad."
You can fill in the blanks with what AA has speculated.
I think he ran out of time and dumped her body.
I think it didn't really occur to him that he would be a suspect, because I ultimately thinks he is a Christian/Good person. I think he always thought that MM would be a suspect, because I think he has made some serious judgement calls on his behavior over the years. McD might have been PISSED that someone as "terrible" in his mind was given the job as "Resident Contact." Maybe he tested him from time to time and MM was actually the one who gave him the bump key. McD might have just added this to his list of problems that he had with MM as the Resident Contact. Maybe he feels MM is responsible ultimately because he has been so careless with his position in the past.

This of course is :twocents:

Though I can't agree at this point with all that you say (I think our basic working perspectives on the case are different), I consider this a very good post that raises some interesting possibilities.

Ever since day one, LE's tactic seems to have been "stall, stall, stall".
To me, this certainly seems like a convenient continuation of this tactic.
IMO, this has been done to give the FBI lab all the time possible to process evidence.
They apparently got some of this back, but according to LG's father,
they are looking for DNA evidence to directly tie SM to the crime.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/...ather-Police-Lean-Toward-McDaniel-as-Suspect-
I guess it's bothering me that they seem to still be waiting for this.

I have no doubt they have what they need for probable cause at the commitment hearing.
But, are they concerned they may not have enough for the Grand Jury indictment?
This also seems to play into all the discussion here about LE taking a "no comment"
stance on questions about DD/MM.
If they were confident they have enough evidence at this point, why would they not
simply come out and unequivocally clear this man's name?

Is it possible that SM cleaned up so well that the DA might have to convict him on circumstantial evidence alone?

Is this why they decided those scratches on the tub were worth actually removing the tub?

Questions, questions... I guess I've just had an uneasy feeling all day... :dunno:

Very much agree, these all seem good questions.

I am wondering if they are even sure that Lauren's bathtub was the murder or dismemberment site. (I do know that LE has stated publicly that LG's blood was found there, but....)

Glenda McDaniel said she even asked her son once whether romance was possible between him and Giddings or any other woman.
The question GM asked McD above; Was it just a random question, asked by a Mom who wondered if she might one day have a DIL? Or was she subtly asking about his sexual orientation?

I still wonder why she used Lauren as an example in her question? Did McD talk about Lauren a lot to his family?

Does anyone have the link to the email that SMD sent to the other law students at Mercer? I tried using the search function and couldn't find it. Our web fliters here at work won't let me go to certain sites and I wasn't sure if someone here had a quick link. TIA

http://angelanalyzes.tumblr.com/

The e-mail exhange is on this site. I am not sure where else to find it.

ETA: Not to taunt you, SDT, if you can't access that site, but I thought the exchange really illuminated some aspects of SM's character.

Well, I guess I will have to read it when I get home this evening. Websense has blocked us from her site for "social networking". If they only knew :floorlaugh:

If Websense starts blocking WS, I may raise holy hell!

http://angelanalyzes.tumblr.com/

The e-mail exhange is on this site. I am not sure where else to find it.

ETA: Not to taunt you, SDT, if you can't access that site, but I thought the exchange really illuminated some aspects of SM's character.

Good thing I will be leaving work soon. I have heard many posters refer to this exchange and I can't wait to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876