Identified! GA - Newton, WhtFem 522UFGA, 25-30, red white & blue bandanna, May'85 Mary Anga "Angie" Cowan

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Please forgive me if i am asking questions that have already been addressed. I just skimmed over the first page and didnt find an answer.

How long did she live after being taken to the hospital? What was the cause of death? Did she have drugs in her system or an illness not related to injuries that put her in the hospital?

I am asking because the pictures Carl has done, she looks ill. Just wondering if this is how she looked, or was it from the injuries and being in the hospital.

Also wondering if she always looked like this if she was on drugs or had a chronic illness that might have contributed to her death.

As far as the name tag in the jeans, I would not put a lot of stock in that . I buy used clothing for myself and my family all the time. I am a thrift store junkie and you find items of clothing often with names in them. Whether its from a person who is in a nursing home or institution, to teens taking clothing to camp, or babies and kids clothes labeled for day care. Wouldn't let that be too much of a red herring and lead us off track. She most likely picked them up second hand or they were given to her if she was in rehab or stayed in a rescue mission.

Thanks for your interest! She died around June 4th/5th after being found unconscious in a ditch on the side of a road on May 24th/5th/ The COD was her injuries, she had trauma to the head as part of her injuries. They suspect she was thrown or jumped from a vehicle but naturally they don't know that for sure.

(respectfully snipped)

I am asking because the pictures Carl has done, she looks ill. Just wondering if this is how she looked, or was it from the injuries and being in the hospital.

Also wondering if she always looked like this if she was on drugs or had a chronic illness that might have contributed to her death.

As far as the name tag in the jeans, I would not put a lot of stock in that . I buy used clothing for myself and my family all the time. I am a thrift store junkie and you find items of clothing often with names in them. Whether its from a person who is in a nursing home or institution, to teens taking clothing to camp, or babies and kids clothes labeled for day care. Wouldn't let that be too much of a red herring and lead us off track. She most likely picked them up second hand or they were given to her if she was in rehab or stayed in a rescue mission.

I agree, that she looks ill in the pictures that CarlK has done, possibly drugs or chronic illness. Much different from the sketches shown on the Georgia LE website.

As for the name tags and the clothing. Keep in mind that we are talking about an event that happened in 1985. Society was not as mobile as it is now. There were a LOT more regional differences in clothing styles, brand availability, and services such as actually making the labels were regional. There was no internet to log onto to order labels for clothing, they were often done by a supplier local to the area.

Yes, she probably did pick the clothes up second hand or was given them by somebody, but those clothes might hold a clue to what part of the country she came from. Second hand clothes, are usually donated locally and distributed to the local population. Yes, today they are often distributed further across the country, but in 1985, they were most likely from local people contributing to a local charity.

I am commenting from the perspective that I was in my mid-20's in 1985 and have studies social trends for 30 years.

One thing I notice in the ventilator pic is that she appears to have white-blond eyebrows.

I agree, that she looks ill in the pictures that CarlK has done, possibly drugs or chronic illness. Much different from the sketches shown on the Georgia LE website.

As for the name tags and the clothing. Keep in mind that we are talking about an event that happened in 1985. Society was not as mobile as it is now. There were a LOT more regional differences in clothing styles, brand availability, and services such as actually making the labels were regional. There was no internet to log onto to order labels for clothing, they were often done by a supplier local to the area.

Yes, she probably did pick the clothes up second hand or was given them by somebody, but those clothes might hold a clue to what part of the country she came from. Second hand clothes, are usually donated locally and distributed to the local population. Yes, today they are often distributed further across the country, but in 1985, they were most likely from local people contributing to a local charity.

I am commenting from the perspective that I was in my mid-20's in 1985 and have studies social trends for 30 years.

I am not so sure that she was sick but more that she had healing injuries to her face. One of the articles said she had scapes on her face and another said they waited until her facial injuries healed some. They also said her face was swollen.

It might be just me but I think she seems older than some of the age estimates.

I also wonder about her left eye (our right) in the pictures. Is it a shadow or is there damage there?

I kinda summarized the information found in those articles.

How was she found?
  • Fell or shoved out of a moving vehicle. (1,3)
  • Driver may not have known she was on the vehicle or that she fell. (4,6)
  • Found on the Southbound Georgia Highway 91 face up in a shallow ditch near Baker-Dougherty County Line. 3.5 miles north of Newton (2,3,4,5)
  • Dingy pillow found 20 yards from her (5,6)
  • Found at 8am by a school teacher (5)
  • Slid about 60 feet (4)

What was her condition?
  • Conscious when authorities arrived (4,7)
  • Previous reports that state she was conscious and not cooperating may not be true. EMTs said she was unconscious. (5)
  • She never regained consciousness (1,3)
  • She had abrasions/scapes on face, arms, and back, severe head injuries, brain damage but no broken bones (1,2,4,5)
  • On May 25, 1985, they stated she had not been raped (5,6)
  • On May 29, 1985, facial injuries were likely from the fall (6)
  • On June 6, 1985, they had not ruled out the possibility that she was assaulted before the incident. A rape test was pending. (1)
  • On June 6 they state she died on Saturday at 10:10am. I am assuming that is June 1. (1,8)
  • Died of a Cerebral hemorrhage from a "lick on the head." Further results of autopsy were not issued.(1)
  • Her body was held at the Georgia State Crime Lab for 2 weeks (1)

What did she look like?

• Slightly built with blond hair (1,4,5,7)
  • Likely a drifter (2,6)
  • Out of state (6)
  • "a hobo type, possibly a drifter" (6)
  • No ID (4)
  • Early 20's; late 20's, early 30's; 20-25; 25-30; (4,5,7)
  • 5'6 and 115lbs (7)
  • Faded blue jeans, gray t-shirt, white tennis shoes, bra-less (5,7)

Attempts to identify her
  • Fingerprints were taken after the autopsy (8)
  • Photos were taken after arrival, in hospital bed with face swollen, hospital mogue, and funeral home (2)
  • May 25 - Woman called because she thought it might be her daughter. Refused viewing because her daughter had black hair. (5)
  • June 3 - Woman viewed before autopsy. Gave some details. (8)
  • June 4 - Searching for father. Information from woman who viewed body before autopsy. (9)
  • June 6 - Police believe man may be her father. He has been located. No ID yet. Dozens of calls and no ID. (1)
  • June 8 - Woman says not her niece Betty Jo Evans. Photos are not similar. Different mouth, face structure, lips, and ears. This was the best hope. This tip came from Betty Jo's ex husband who read about it in the paper. Checking 1-2 leads, local leads have been checked. (2,3)
  • 30-40 contacts - all negative (7)
  • 50-70 calls - all negative (9)

Sources (previously linked articles)
1 - June 6
2 - June 8
3 - June 7
4 - May 24
5 - May 25
6 - May 29
7 - June 1
8 - June 3
9 - June 4

There is detailed information on B. Chamberlin's case in this article:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...K5VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7uEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1708,6504534

She had three children. Do we know if the Newton Jane Doe had ever given birth?

Thank you for more of that information. I will email the coroner right now and ask if he can give any other pertinent medical information such as pregnancies! That article states a murder investigation ... was that something she was involved in/around or was that just something else happening at the same time that people may have thought were connected I wonder?!?!

The BCSO never got back to me. Has anyone heard back from NAMUS on why her case was taken down? Should we contact GBI to ask them for rule outs? Apparently the coroner isn't going to give me those (or seriously just doesn't understand what I am asking).

Great work guys! Being a drifter will make this harder but I will keep trying! :(

ETA:
email to coroner just now -

Hello again Mr. Belinc! I don't wish to bother you but frankly you are the only person who will write us back about this young lady. I am curious if her autopsy revealed any medical issues or past pregnancies? We have been looking hard at a couple of possible missing persons who highly resemble JD, but at least one was known to have had children and we aren't sure if our Jane Doe would match that.

Also, who would be the best contact to submit possible matches to? I assume that person can also give us a list of missing women that have already been ruled out as being Jane Doe. <--the only one we know of as being officially ruled out is Betty Jo Evans

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Collage with B. Chamberlain. Warning may be morgue photo

Attachments

• baker co Collage.jpg
    baker co Collage.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 171
Thank you for more of that information. I will email the coroner right now and ask if he can give any other pertinent medical information such as pregnancies! That article states a murder investigation ... was that something she was involved in/around or was that just something else happening at the same time that people may have thought were connected I wonder?!?!

(snipped for space)
Great work to you Lunar1121!

About the murder investigation mentioned in the B. Chamberlin article, there was a woman's thigh found in a trash can around the same time B. Chamberlin went missing. The newspaper was speculating that it was Benita or another woman named P. Bruno, who was also missing at the time. The body parts were later found to belong to P. Bruno, and she was murdered by her husband and another couple. (Really sick story on P. Bruno's murder.)

Here is an article about the body part found...http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...JvJVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4eEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5441,318598

Also I want to say thanks to aamanda_88 for the great summary!

B. Chamberlin does have a similar facial structure/dental profile. I wonder if they ever discovered more about that thigh. Thank you, Lunar, for keeping up with the coroner!

B. Chamberlin does have a similar facial structure/dental profile. I wonder if they ever discovered more about that thigh. Thank you, Lunar, for keeping up with the coroner!

I just edited my post above yours. The thigh belonged to P. Bruno and she was murdered by her husband and another couple. (A warning if you decide to research, it is a sick story.)

I just edited my post above yours. The thigh belonged to P. Bruno and she was murdered by her husband and another couple. (A warning if you decide to research, it is a sick story.)

Oh thanks! I was just about to look more into the leg and see about DNA matching there.

ETA:
The side by side pictures of B and J seem a bit different to me now. B has a slanted brow bone while J has a little arch to hers, J also has a longer face. That being said though, they still look alike so?! I can't see B nursing her baby, calling someone excited about being able to take the baby home, and then just going off all in the same day ... for 7 years ... but weirder has happened!!!

Not sure if she has been mentioned yet, and I know this is a long shot, but what do you think about Linda Kay Carroll? She went missing in September of 1984 and the height, weight, age and hair color are all close (eye color is different but sometimes green eyes look 'blueish'). She was very frugal (going without electricity to save money), which might mean she would wear second-hand jeans. I'm sure the husband is a suspect, but you never know.

FL FL - Linda Kay Carroll, 24, Crestview, 25 Sept 1984 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/carroll_linda.html
(the pics show her with variations of blonde hair, but her eyebrows are fairly light...my daughter has blonde eyebrows and they tend to lighten in the summertime)

Wow, the reference to my stomping grounds (B. Chamberlin) snapped me right to attention! I think this is a great find. Kudos!!

Reading the Register-Guard story from the 25th of Feb, 1978, fills my mind with all kinds of possibilities and wonderings, if this Jane Doe does turn out to be her. Did she just up and leave (post-partum problems?), or was she taken? What had she been doing from 23 Feb 1978 through to May 1985, and how did she end up across the country in Georgia? If it is her, it would explain a lot about her appearance when she was found, but not about how she ended up on the side of a Georgia road with a mortal injury.

So sad.

tcg

We know she had stretch marks.......

I just noticed that, Houston Mom! Thanks for pointing it out. From Doe Network, "Marks, Scars: Stretch marks on abdomen and buttocks." http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/522ufga.html

I think B. Chamberlin looks a lot like this JD. (Notice the reconstruction of JD on The Doe Network.)

I agree that is odd that should would up and leave on the day she was supposed to bring her baby home. But she was under a lot of stress, had two children at home, another baby (born pre-mature) to take home and was going through a divorce, possibly compounded post-partum issues. Odder things have happened. She might have had some kind of mental break.

I just noticed that, Houston Mom! Thanks for pointing it out. From Doe Network, "Marks, Scars: Stretch marks on abdomen and buttocks." http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/522ufga.html

I think B. Chamberlin looks a lot like this JD. (Notice the reconstruction of JD on The Doe Network.)

I agree that is odd that should would up and leave on the day she was supposed to bring her baby home. But she was under a lot of stress, had two children at home, another baby (born pre-mature) to take home and was going through a divorce, possibly compounded post-partum issues. Odder things have happened. She might have had some kind of mental break.

I agree odder things have happened and that is why I feel she should be submitted, although there are differences - they are too similar otherwise! Unfortunately GA doesn't seem to like getting back with us regarding JD (along with NAMUS for some reason) so should we contact the person on BCs case instead? And I have no idea how to submit something lol!

marlalouise thank you for mentioning Linda. I am not positive about this one though, but that is JMO. The scar on the hip and gap in teeth I feel would have been mentioned for our JD. I do like that her hair ranges as some describe JD as having blonde hair while others say it was brown with blonde highlights?!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FridayCrimeClub
Back