GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not for sure but I think when this happened to the time he was found is when all those bad storms had come through. Although I do not think this area got any of the tornados but did get lots of rain. That too could have washed away any evidence.

Any locals can confirm if this was the week-end of the storms/rains?

I live less than an hour away. The storms came through before that Friday. On Tuesday and Wednesday, April 29 & 30. I don't know how hard Lake Oconee was hit, but north of there in Oconee & Clarke counties it was bad.

I am not for sure but I think when this happened to the time he was found is when all those bad storms had come through. Although I do not think this area got any of the tornados but did get lots of rain. That too could have washed away any evidence.

Any locals can confirm if this was the week-end of the storms/rains?

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=GAEA&report=rf

http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-bin/AEMN.pl?site=GAEA

This link states that there was no precipitation, no rainfall, between May 2nd and May 4th in Eatonton.

This case reminds me very much of the case of John Chakalos

John Chakalos, known for elaborate Christmas lights display, found shot dead at home - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

John Chakalos was murdered Friday 20 December in Windsor Conn

Russel Durmond was likely murdered between Friday to Sunday 2-4 May in Lake Oconee, Georgia

Chakalos died from a gun shot to the head. No gun was recovered.

Durmond died from head or brain injury. No murder weapon was recovered

Chakalos amassed a fortune building nursing homes

Durmond amassed a fortune in the fast food industry

Both Chakalos and Durmond were dedicated to their families.

Both Chakalos and Durmond had long and happy marriages

Both Chakalos and Durmond were well respected in their communities

Both Chakalos and Durmond were murdered in their quiet, secluded homes.

Chakalos was found in his home by a worried daughter. Dermond was found in his garage by worried friends.

Both Chakalos and Durmond involved their family members in their Dynasties

Both Chakos and Durmond had very public "family issues"

Chakalos' wife died two months before him (of cancer)

Durmond's wife is missing and presumed dead.

When Chakalos died he was 87

When Durmond died he was 88

Durmond was from NJ and Chakalos was from Conneticut/New Hampshire.

No clues were left behind in either case. The police in both cases are stumped.

Whitepages.com has Mark C. Dermond, Russell J. Dermond, and Shirley W.Dermond...ALL 3 living at the 147 Carolyn Dr address.

Has it been determined that this is not correct. That only the two people lived there and not Mark C.? tia

Thanks for the links! You know the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words!

By the parcel view you can click on all the surrounding parcels. All 16 lots on the right side of their street have not been built on and the land behind all of those 16 looks to be part of the development's greenway. Even on the left side(lake side) of the street about 1/3 of those are just vacant lots.

That street is a cud-e-sac ending at the Dermond's house. With all those vacant lots and the Dermond's house being at the end makes it seem a prime target for someone looking to do no good.

Has it been determined that this is not correct. That only the two people lived there and not Mark C.? tia

All I can tell you is that the only Mark C. Dermond we know about is the couple's oldest son, who was reportedly murdered in August 2000 in Atlanta during a drug transaction. A man was tried, convicted and is still serving time for his murder. MCD was 47 at the time. It may be that he did at one time reside at Lake Oconee with his parents or use their residence as his "permanent" mailing address, etc.

All I can tell you is that the only Mark C. Dermond we know about is the couple's oldest son, who was reportedly murdered in August 2000 in Atlanta during a drug transaction. A man was tried, convicted and is still serving time for his murder. MCD was 47 at the time. It may be that he did at one time reside at Lake Oconeee with his parents or use their residence as his "permanent" mailing address, etc.

Thanks. That makes sense to me. ty

I just wanted to say, "Happy Mother's Day"! To those like me whose mother has passed, who have fur babies for kids, who may not be close to their children, and who may just need a :grouphug:

Websleuths is always here for you!!
:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

I agree 100%, and am thankful for the WS family! My mom passed two years ago; I have my two kitties, as well as two four-week-old foster kittens on behalf of the local humane society (no-kill, 100% adoption rate for healthy pets) for a couple of more weeks. In fact the two foster kitties have already been spoken for after they are spayed and neutered.

Happy Mother's Day!

In the Youtube video of the press conference, at the 14 minute 10 second mark,
a female reporter asks Sheriff Sills:
"You said that there was no sign of forced entry, nothing ransacked in the home,
is there any sign of fingerprints, and physical evidence to show that someone (sheriff interrupts her) Sheriff Sills: "I'm not going to elaborate on anything of that nature".

I think the rest of what the reporter said after the word "someone" is...
"else was in the room" or it was "else was in the home". It is a bit difficult for me to hear and understand the wording.

Maybe there is other evidence, but as the sheriff said that he isn't going to elaborate on anything of that nature.
IMOO.

ETA:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - GA GA - Shirley Dermond (Abduction), 87, Putnam County, 2 - 4 May 2014

Jmo. The Dermond home setting is very, very similar to my family's. Waterfront community, live close to the end of the street /cudlesac, etc. Things that came to mind. These houses are built to look out on the lake. Meaning, unless you are working in the front yard or in the driveway you don't see the street from 'living' areas. If a car comes to the end of the street, you notice but it's not a big deal. Something we don't bat an eye at are service vehicles. Every day service vehicles come by. From yard work, to maids, to dock work, to renovations, there are vans and trucks every day (even with only a handful of houses on the street.) Plus, once someone is in the neighborhood they tend to drive around and check out the houses. We take notice, but it's not a big deal.
On the other hand- boats. As I wrote, the houses are set up to look at the water. Master bedrooms, living, rec, dining, usually all have views of the lake. We notice EVERY boat, kayak, paddleboard, swimmer, osprey, heron, that comes in our view. We notice lost rafts, styrofoam from old docks, tennis balls, etc. Is that our neighbor out with their new boat, their grandson trying the rowboat? Jmo if someone came by boat, into the Dermonds small cove, the lake neighbors, if any were home, would have seen it. And from the overhead satellite map I would think about eight houses would have their eyes on that area. jMO

Youtube video of the press conference:
Putnam County Press Conference - YouTube[/url]
<sniped for focus>

Thank you for sharing, Treelights..
I am very impressed with Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills professionalism and transparency. Many of the cases that we sleuth on websleuths seldom, if ever have press conferences/updates. An aware citizenry is a very valuable investigative resource; analogous to a security camera across the landscape..

Imo, someone likely saw or heard something significant, that will be critical in solving this investigation. Imo, there is no such thing as a perfect crime, only an imperfect investigation.. Putnam County Sheriff Sills is utilizing all available resources and should be saluted, imo..

Jmo. The Dermond home setting is very, very similar to my family's. Waterfront community, live close to the end of the street /cudlesac, etc. Things that came to mind. These houses are built to look out on the lake. Meaning, unless you are working in the front yard or in the driveway you don't see the street from 'living' areas. If a car comes to the end of the street, you notice but it's not a big deal. Something we don't bat an eye at are service vehicles. Every day service vehicles come by. From yard work, to maids, to dock work, to renovations, there are vans and trucks every day (even with only a handful of houses on the street.) Plus, once someone is in the neighborhood they tend to drive around and check out the houses. We take notice, but it's not a big deal.
On the other hand- boats. As I wrote, the houses are set up to look at the water. Master bedrooms, living, rec, dining, usually all have views of the lake. We notice EVERY boat, kayak, paddleboard, swimmer, osprey, heron, that comes in our view. We notice lost rafts, styrofoam from old docks, tennis balls, etc. Is that our neighbor out with their new boat, their grandson trying the rowboat? Jmo if someone came by boat, into the Dermonds small cove, the lake neighbors, if any were home, would have seen it. And from the overhead satellite map I would think about eight houses would have their eyes on that area. jMO

I can see your point, but they said there was no forced entry. I would think that a house that secluded and that large would have a security system. I also would think it would be set at night especially. So that makes me think the perp either knew the code or the crime happened during the day and as you said I think someone would have noticed a strange water craft near there. Also, it is not the first house on the lake that you come to.

I also think after looking at the aerial views of the house and property that whoever did this knew where they were going. I don't think they just randomly drove down that road. It seems very secluded and maybe not visible from the main road. jmo

Due to the lack of information, there could be many possible motives for SD's abduction. Hopefully she will be found safely. After a week has passed since her tragic abduction & Mr. D's murder/decapitation. It is doubtful if the motive was financial or ransom related, imo.
I regret even having to post that one of the motives may be sexual..

Interesting info from the US Department Of Justice on elderly victims of sexual abuse and their offenders.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/216550.pdf

This is a long study but a good one to read through involving elder abuse. Looking at trends, if this is a serial case of a rapist of elderly women, he is likely in his 30s, a stranger to the family, and had been watching the couple for some time. I hope she will be found soon. I know LE is weighing the odds and they aren't looking good, but if she was the target, and not some motive relating to money, she may still be alive out there. But hurry! I think of Elizabeth Smart, in the woods practically in her parents' backyard, camping.

If the house next door to (or nearby) is for sale, there may be increased boat traffic in the area, and residents of surrounding homes may not have paid as much attention to every boat that went by, assuming they were checking out the home for sale next door. This definitely would have worked in the killer's/killers' favor.

No forced entry could also mean that one of the doors was unlocked and the perps just walked in. They may not have opened the door themselves.

I wonder what Mr. Dermond was wearing. That could help determine which day he was killed. For example, was he dressed in his nightclothes or was he in his day clothes or was he dressed up for the Kentucky Derby party?

Jabarn, refer back to Gary Hilton. MHE's torso was over 1/2 mile from where her head was buried. GMH said that this was to prevent forensic identification. Although he had poured bleach over her torso.. I didn't buy this explanation. He had hidden clean blouses & a white trash bag near the head for later recovery, imo.

Imo, many escalated ritual sexual predators(T Bundy/GMH, etc.)collect the heads of their victims for various purposes.

I am so glad you are over here discussing the case now FoxFire.:seeya:

I do believe it will be either someone like Gary Hilton (drifter) or it may be a neighbor living right in the middle of the community who is a sociopath/psychopath. One who may be still living with his parents and is unmarried. One who may be seen as a little strange, loner but has a wealthy family.

Imo, this is not the work of a drug cartel nor does it have anything to do with either of the Dermonds doing something illegal in their past nor is it about their son being murdered 14 years ago.

This is the work of another sociopath who targeted the Dermonds to carry out their evil deeds upon. IMO They need to look at all cases across the nation to see if this sociopath may be nomadic and moves on quickly after they murder.

I do agree with the criminal profiler from Georgia except I think the age of the suspect could even be younger than he has stated. Sheriff Sills needs to take a thorough look at all white single males (20 to 40) living around or right in that community.

IMO

No forced entry could also mean that one of the doors was unlocked and the perps just walked in. They may not have opened the door themselves.
From the Google map it looks as if the driveway is fairly long and winding. It looks like none of the house would be visible from the cul-de-sac.

If this is so, I think it quite possible the perps came by water and simply waited near the front of the house until the couple drove up. All nasty deeds done in and around the garage, Mrs. D. taken away by water and the house never being entered.

If you came for the people only (as I believe) and you find them alone and outside the house, more the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734