GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No forced entry could also mean that one of the doors was unlocked and the perps just walked in. They may not have opened the door themselves.

I wonder what Mr. Dermond was wearing. That could help determine which day he was killed. For example, was he dressed in his nightclothes or was he in his day clothes or was he dressed up for the Kentucky Derby party?

BBM. Unlocked most likely, if not the middle of the night.

From the Google map it looks as if the driveway is fairly long and winding. It looks like none of the house would be visible from the cul-de-sac.

If this is so, I think it quite possible the perps came by water and simply waited near the front of the house until the couple drove up. All nasty deeds done in and around the garage, Mrs. D. taken away by water and the house never being entered.

If you came for the people only (as I believe) and you find them alone and outside the house, more the better.

That is chilling!
So is the post above ..

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

From the Google map it looks as if the driveway is fairly long and winding. It looks like none of the house would be visible from the cul-de-sac.

If this is so, I think it quite possible the perps came by water and simply waited near the front of the house until the couple drove up. All nasty deeds done in and around the garage, Mrs. D. taken away by water and the house never being entered.

If you came for the people only (as I believe) and you find them alone and outside the house, more the better.

re:bolded - It does look like the house is built pretty far off of the cul-de-sac. It's especially noticeable if you toggle between satellite and map views.

I also agree that they were only interested in taking these poor people. What on earth would make them want to do that to Mr. Dermond though? I do hope they find Mrs. Dermond soon and that she is not suffering.

BBM. Unlocked most likely, if not the middle of the night.

The friends that found him said the door was unlocked, which doesn't mean much really I don't guess. They still could have let him/her into the house.

Found at this article (which by the way, is very interesting, hadn't seen it before)

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html

"The couple’s house was unlocked, and there was no sign of forced entry when neighbors went to see about them."

I followed another case where a lake was a huge topic of contention. At this point in the case, I would be hesitant to rule out any point of entry to this crime. The picture of the entry with the guard had 3 vehicles entering at once and this was 2 days after the crime. Why not an officer at the gate querying anyone entering or leaving? Any innocent person would not protest such a tactic, right? As of Saturday, the house was still roped off with yellow tape including the pier and boat.

Do we know of any similar (minus a beheading) crimes being committed in the area? Rapes, break-ins, robberies, attempted assaults. . .

*sigh So many people had access to the lake, groundskeepers, housekeepers, etc. Again it seems the perp or perps are a good 2 to 3 days ahead of LE.

Also, thinking of Jessica Ridgeway, this could be a younger perp or perps deciding to kill someone just to see what it felt like and if they could get away with it.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement "A local resident or someone already inside the boundary of the guarded gate could be the perp." This is why I feel any the people live there are fooling themselves if they believe it had to be an outsider.

I'm so sad that Mrs. Dermond is still missing on this Mother's Day. I hope she will be found soon for everyone's sake.

BBM

BINGO!

Sometimes the answer to a case is never as complex as we try to make them out to be.

I look at this logically while trying to determine who could be the suspect or suspects involved.

1. Who would have the easiest access into this community without being noticed or questioned? Answer: Resident of RP.
2. Who would know the security camera wasn't working? Answer: Resident of RP
3. Who would be able to come and go easier than anyone when leaving the community either by boat or gate? Answer: Resident of RP
4. Who would know the full layout of the community so well that they would be able to do these crimes in complete darkness and go undetected? Answer: Resident of RP.
5. Who would know that the Dermonds were elderly and lived there alone? Answer: Resident of RP.

Imo, the murderer or murderers are right there among the others in the community pretending to grieve.

Or it could be a misfit stranger who came up by boat and used Mr. Desmond's dock since no boat is parked there any longer. The boat dock wouldn't be too far from his home so that would make them the easiest target.

IMO

I am so glad you are over here discussing the case now FoxFire.:seeya:

I do believe it will be either someone like Gary Hilton (drifter) or it may be a neighbor living right in the middle of the community who is a sociopath/psychopath. One who may be still living with his parents and is unmarried. One who may be seen as a little strange, loner but has a wealthy family.

Imo, this is not the work of a drug cartel nor does it have anything to do with either of the Dermonds doing something illegal in their past nor is it about their son being murdered 14 years ago.

This is the work of a sociopath. IMO

I do agree with the criminal profiler from Georgia except I think the age of the suspect could even be younger than he has stated. Sheriff Sills needs to take a thorough look at all white single males (20 to 40) living around or right in that community.

IMO

Thanx for the kind words oceanblueeyes...but GMH, wasn't a drifter or vagabond, as portrayed by LE/GBI via the ms media.. He was just plain evil..

I agree that it is obviously a psychopath and likely someone living or working in the community. After the Jessica Ridgeway(CO) abduction/murder, I have difficulty with age ranges. Imo, the age could be anywhere from 14 to 70.

As Sheriff Sills said, the only person that has been ruled out in this case is him, because he knows where he was...
Obviously if SD's abduction is sexual in nature, combined with the murder/decapitation of Mr. D, we are dealing with a very rare psychopathic predator with a documented past, imo...

Thanx for the kind words oceanblueeyes...but GMH, wasn't a drifter or vagabond, as portrayed by LE/GBI via the ms media.. He was just plain evil..

I agree that it is obviously a psychopath and likely someone living or working in the community. After the Jessica Ridgeway(CO) abduction/murder, I have difficulty with age ranges. Imo, the age could be anywhere from 14 to 70.

As Sheriff Sills said, the only person that has been ruled out is him, because he knows where he was...
Obviously if SD's abduction is sexual in nature, combined with the murder/decapitation of Mr. D, we are dealing with a very rare psychopathic predator with a documented past, imo...

Thanks.

I have thought very early on this could be someone in their late teens. I still think that is a very good possibility. But a person with a higher IQ than normal.

We are sure dealing with a dangerous psychopath.

We tend to think that no one would want to rape and then murder an 87-88 year old woman but sadly that isn't the case. I have read about so many cases where elderly women were victims of brutal rapes...then murdered and the perp usually turned out to be in their 20s and 30s and unknown to the victim.

Psychopaths are very different from the 'typical' murderer. Each has their own individual depraved thoughts that they carryout that sets them apart from the typical. They are anything but typical.

IMO

BBM

BINGO!

Sometimes the answer to a case is never as complex as we try to make them out to be.

I look at this logically while trying to determine who could be the suspect or suspects involved.

1. Who would have the easiest access into this community without being noticed or questioned? Answer: Resident of RP.
2. Who would know the security camera wasn't working? Answer: Resident of RP
3. Who would be able to come and go easier than anyone when leaving the community either by boat or gate? Answer: Resident of RP
4. Who would know the full layout of the community so well that they would be able to do these crimes in complete darkness and go undetected? Answer: Resident of RP.
5. Who would know that the Dermonds were elderly and lived their alone? Answer: Resident of RP.

Imo, the murderer or murderers are right there among the others in the community pretending to grieve.

Or it could be a misfit stranger who came up by boat and used Mr. Desmond's dock since no boat is parked there any longer. The boat dock wouldn't be too far from his home so that would make them the easiest target.

IMO

I think if the murderer were a resident of Great Waters law enforcement would have them arrested by now.

As for cars entering in multiple numbers at the gate, those could have been GBi, FBI, or local law enforcement. I bet the neighborhood is crawling with uncover agents as we type.

No forced entry could also mean that one of the doors was unlocked and the perps just walked in. They may not have opened the door themselves.

I wonder what Mr. Dermond was wearing. That could help determine which day he was killed. For example, was he dressed in his nightclothes or was he in his day clothes or was he dressed up for the Kentucky Derby party?

Several of us have wondered about this -- but, so far, nothing about it released. Another possibility: no clothes (for any one of several possible reasons).

Somehow I think that maybe had he been wearing obvious nightclothes, they might have narrowed the timeline down a little further a little faster -- but that's certainly not a sure thing, just a guess.

I did a little geneaology research on the deceased and found he is related to the Tedesco family, who are very well connected in Bergen County politics. His mom's maiden name was Tedesco.

Since the sheriff talked about how clean the house was, was the bed unmade, dinner on the stove, dishes being washed, cereal out? But he gave a broad timeline, so that made me think he had no clue on TOD.

Several of us have wondered about this -- but, so far, nothing about it released. Another possibility: no clothes (for any one of several possible reasons).

Somehow I think that maybe had he been wearing obvious nightclothes, they might have narrowed the timeline down a little further a little faster -- but that's certainly not a sure thing, just a guess.

I haven't read every post, I apologize.

I would think that at least one of the media people at the presser would have asked what he was wearing, dangit!

He was seen at the Publix pharmacy not far from his house on Thursday, and someone reported seeing him walking on a neighborhood golf course Friday.

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453/decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html

(Im wondering if delivery guys are allowed to go into this community, exple- pizza delivery or a Florist etc.)

Oceanblueeyes-you got me thinking about what he was wearing. He walked alot. That would be a clue!

I think if the murderer were a resident of Great Waters law enforcement would have them arrested by now.

As for cars entering in multiple numbers at the gate, those could have been GBi, FBI, or local law enforcement. I bet the neighborhood is crawling with uncover agents as we type.

Hickory Born, GBI, FBI, PCSO, and other LEAs would have no reason to be entering the gates until after the horrific crime was noticed by neighbors, and a 911 call made.. The neighborhood was virtually crime free. There also would likely have been friends and relatives from other neighborhoods visiting or attending the Kentucky Derby party/s..

Imo, the perp could very well be right under the investigator's noses. But due to possible enablers and Hipaa Privacy Laws preventing or delaying mental health care info and history to be shared with investigators. There would be many obstacles to overcome, imo...

HIPAA Privacy Rules & Sharing Related to Mental Health
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/special/mhguidance.html

As to Mr. Dermond being described by neighbors as a regular walker. I wonder if he had a set route or times of day he enjoyed his constitutionals?

Could he have seen or heard something within the gated community on one of his walks? Could someone THINK he had seen or heard something he oughtn't?

If this was done by an insider and not an outsider who invaded the little community via water or some other means.

What would the motivation be? Maybe his walks are an important clue

As to Mr. Dermond being described by neighbors as a regular walker. I wonder if he had a set route or times of day he enjoyed his constitutionals?

Could he have seen or heard something within the gated community on one of his walks? Could someone THINK he had seen or heard something he oughtn't?

If this was done by an insider and not an outsider who invaded the little community via water or some other means.

What would the motivation be? Maybe his walks are an important clue

Which, from that perspective would give a different take on their son's comment: "“There’s nobody who met her that didn’t love her,” the son said, adding, “and she never gossiped.”

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/09/3089222/autopsy-sheds-little-light-on.html?sp=/99/148/#storylink=cpy

Hickory Born, GBI, FBI, PCSO, and other LEAs would have no reason to be entering the gates until after the crime was noticed by neighbors.. There would likely have been friends and relatives from other neighborhoods visiting or attending the Kentucky Derby party/s..

Imo, the perp could be right under the investigator's noses. But due to possible enablers and Hipaa Privacy Laws preventing or delaying mental health care info and history to be shared with investigators. There would be many obstacles to overcome, imo...

HIPAA Privacy Rules & Sharing Related to Mental Health
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/special/mhguidance.html

Foxfire, I thought Websleuthers were talking about cars entering through the gate which they had seen on TV during the last few days. I think you misunderstood my statement.

I haven't read every post, I apologize.

I would think that at least one of the media people at the presser would have asked what he was wearing, dangit!

Oh, no apology needed!

Yes, I wish someone had asked. There were a few points where a question was asked (and I couldn't always hear the question) and the sheriff cut the questioner off and/or declined to comment. Wonder if someone headed in the clothes direction...?

You know, though I can totally understand that the adult children needed/wanted to head back to their own out-of-state homes and/or didn't feel up to attending the vigil -- believe me, I understand! -- I can't help but wonder just a tiny bit if maybe they were advised not to attend/to leave the area -- LE might feel they could be in danger if too visible? Would fit with SOME of the theories we've discussed, anyhow.

Foxfire, I thought Websleuthers were talking about cars entering through the gate which they had seen on TV during the last few days. I think you misunderstood my statement.

RE: Foxfire, I think you misunderstood my statement

Sorry, Hickory Born, guess I did misunderstand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734