GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sills stated that RD was deceased before he was beheaded. I would suspect the coroner could tell.

Yes, Canaille, the Putnam County Coroner/ME confirmed that the decapitation of RD was post mortem..

Imo, there were only three likely reasons for the decapitation and removal of the head from the scene;

Forensics (eliminate possible touch dna or body fluids of perp)
Ballistics
Souvenir-to later relive the crime

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/13/3096235/new-search-coming-in-putnam-slaying.html

A couple of excerpts from today's article:

As the hunt for a decapitation killer and potential kidnapper entered its second week, authorities were planning a Wednesday combing of wooded, vacant lots in an exclusive Lake Oconee subdivision

Putnam Sheriff Howard Sills said Tuesday that deputies continued talking to locals who may have known the retired couple.
“We have gathered a tremendous amount of forensic evidence, and we continue to,” he said

Now this article makes me have hope this will be solved. I was under the impression they had found no forensic evidence at the scene. That doesn't seem to be the case.

What a relief!

U can also get there by boat!
motor boat row boat , this way no car is seen.

True, but it sounds like a lot of people fish the lake even at night. Sheriff Sills mentioned a call they got from someone who noticed lights on the like from someone fishing at night and they went and checked it out. Which they should have.

I lived on Lake Sam Rayburn once. Loved it!! However, there were a lot of houses that were owned by weekenders and sometimes it would even be long spells before anyone would come and check in on their lake house. There was even one house, we found that was unlocked. The people never came to the house as long as I lived there - 2 years. Somebody could have hidden a body in a house such as that and it wouldn't have been found for a long time.

Not ruling a boat out, but a as OceanBlueEyes stated, a car would be so much easier.

Would this person take such a chance of their car being seen after committing such a heinous crime?

This seems an older community and if this happened in the morning there are the elderly walkers. Mr was a walker so some of his buddys might have been kind of looking for him and would notice a car in the driveway.

Plus older folks seem to observe walkers, strange cars and people they don't know in a gated community.

Perhaps it was done in the middle of the night...when nobody was around to see anything!

Agree. When we say gated community, was the gate manned 24 hours? ty

Yes, Canaille, the Putnam County Coroner/ME confirmed that the decapitation of RD was post mortem..

Imo, there were only three likely reasons for the decapitation and removal of the head from the scene;

Forensics (eliminate possible touch dna or body fluids of perp)
Ballistics
Souvenir-to later relive the crime

I doubt ballistics. So much easier to hide and then get rid of a weapon or remove evidence (DNA prints) from it. but to risk removing and then leave carrying a human head just to hide ballistics seems an insane move. Literally.

Now this article makes me have hope this will be solved. I was under the impression they had found no forensic evidence at the scene. That doesn't seem to be the case.

What a relief!

:ditto: I hope we have a quick resolution.

I think he put her in the trunk. I think there were so many people coming in and out of this community that strange cars went unnoticed. This area is very isolated. From what I understand the Dermond's house was 15 miles from the Entry Gate with the guard. I think it happened when Mr. Dermond went out to get the newspaper. The perp knew he had time. He possibly had watched them. Mr. Dermond may have caught his attention on his daily outings. Or Shirley could have been the target and she caught his eye in her comings and goings. I do think this community was desensitized to strange vehicles and people they did not know.
I'd guess less than two miles from the gate. You may be thinking the distance from Reynolds main entrance?

True, but it sounds like a lot of people fish the lake even at night. Sheriff Sills mentioned a call they got from someone who noticed lights on the like from someone fishing at night and they went and checked it out. Which they should have.

I lived on Lake Sam Rayburn once. Loved it!! However, there were a lot of houses that were owned by weekenders and sometimes it would even be long spells before anyone would come and check in on their lake house. There was even one house, we found that was unlocked. The people never came to the house as long as I lived there - 2 years. Somebody could have hidden a body in a house such as that and it wouldn't have been found for a long time.

Not ruling a boat out, but a as OceanBlueEyes stated, a car would be so much easier.

As another theory....what if Mr. D saw someone on his dock and tried to run them off. Telling them it was private property. This person got mad and followed him up to the house and killed him. I feel like taking someone's head is a rage act. Just a thought. jmo

From what I understand the Dermond's house was 15 miles from the Entry Gate with the guard.

Where did you find this? I have never been in Great Waters, but I have been in Reynolds Plantation and I don't think that there is 15 miles of road in Great Waters. Most gated communities don't span that amount of mileage. Their home MAY be 15 miles from the guard gate at the main Reynolds Plantation in Greene Co., but that is traveling down Old Phoenix Rd, turning at the pyramid and heading towards Reynolds that way.

I doubt ballistics. So much easier to hide and then get rid of a weapon or remove evidence (DNA prints) from it. but to risk removing and then leave carrying a human head just to hide ballistics seems an insane move. Literally.

I believe "insane" is the key word here. I think this person wanted to shock this community and LE. He succeeded.

Isn't this a personal opinion piece like an editorial instead of a news report?

IDK, just thought it was interesting take that we've not seen online other than WS, unless the person that wrote that is a sleuther LOL

I have been reading along this thread and I have never been to this site. I came upon it when I was googling about the case. It is SO sad and I honestly had my own opinion that it was mob related, but I don't know after reading some of your opinions. I have several friends in LE and they all say that if the case can be solved, Howard Sills WILL solve it. He is known for his investigative skills. I pray he does.

Where did you find this? I have never been in Great Waters, but I have been in Reynolds Plantation and I don't think that there is 15 miles of road in Great Waters. Most gated communities don't span that amount of mileage. Their home MAY be 15 miles from the guard gate at the main Reynolds Plantation in Greene Co., but that is traveling down Old Phoenix Rd, turning at the pyramid and heading towards Reynolds that way.

It was in an earlier post. Let me look back. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read the 15 miles too. :lookingitup:

I believe the security guards have SUV's that they drive.
Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Agree. When we say gated community, was the gate manned 24 hours? ty

Yes...But I was shopping nearby over the weekend and heard one lady say she had never been stopped at the gate. She said they would motion her on through every time she entered. So as I was checking out, I mentioned it to the two people at the register. Both said they had always been stopped. Probably depended on who was working the gate as to how secure the neighborhood was. IMO.

IDK, just thought it was interesting take that we've not seen online other than WS, unless the person that wrote that is a sleuther LOL

I thought it was very interesting too and immediately thought WSer :websleuther: I saved the site. Hoping to read more of the writer's thoughts and what they uncover.

rsbm

ETA:
I saw in the article that authorities were called at 7:41pm and VS was found around 8pm.

Doesn't it seem odd that a person who drowned in a lake was located THAT quickly? I obviously don't know the circumstances or where she was found (shallow water? face down in shallow water? etc) but most people who drown in a lake aren't quickly found; they sink to the bottom and it can take a few days depending on water temp for decomposition gases to build in the body such that they begin rise in the water, and can be carried but any currents, until the rise to the surface.

Just seems odd to me, if times are in fact correct, that she was located by LE 20 minutes after LE was called. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010