GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He and Shirley had RSVP’d that they’d be at a neighbor’s Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. They never showed. Shirley, who played bridge and was a crossword whiz, had worked a puzzle in that Friday’s USA Today. It was still on the kitchen table. The couple’s Saturday mail was in the mailbox out front.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...-county-sheriff-howard-sills-chases-a-killer/

So if I am remembering the layout of the home as described by dancin, the kitchen was where the door to the garage was located. The Friday crossword was on the kitchen table and Mrs. D had worked it. Did she complete the puzzle Saturday morning though? Working it or finishing it up as she ate a bit of breakfast and drank her coffee (if she drank coffee) and leaving it on the kitchen table. Doubtful IMO. She probably worked the puzzle at the same time every day and completed it. Maybe kept it to check with the next day's paper for correct answers?

If she worked the puzzle in her usual chair where the lamp with the tilted shade was located, did she hear something in the garage and carry the puzzle to the table and left it there as she entered the garage?

Did they forget to close the garage doors Friday night and fail to lock the door with entry to the kitchen?

Doesn't matter I suppose. The killer came prepared. Maybe he had even found a hidden house key on a previous visit to the home.

A link to the aerial view of the property: https://www.homesnap.com/GA/Eatonton/147-Carolyn-Drive

I see what you are saying I think, possibly the killers came into the garage at kitchen door from the driveway?? makes sense ..... but there is also a back door to kitchen onto the deck IIRC that leads directly to the outside porch as well as the one to the garage... the neighbros that foudn them didnt come in the garage to that kitchen door, Mr D was there on floor and garage door was shut but probalby not the back kitchen door

Ill try to find layout

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...-county-sheriff-howard-sills-chases-a-killer/

So if I am remembering the layout of the home as described by dancin, the kitchen was where the door to the garage was located. The Friday crossword was on the kitchen table and Mrs. D had worked it. Did she complete the puzzle Saturday morning though? Working it or finishing it up as she ate a bit of breakfast and drank her coffee (if she drank coffee) and leaving it on the kitchen table. Doubtful IMO. She probably worked the puzzle at the same time every day and completed it. Maybe kept it to check with the next day's paper for correct answers?

If she worked the puzzle in her usual chair where the lamp with the tilted shade was located, did she hear something in the garage and carry the puzzle to the table and left it there as she entered the garage?

Did they forget to close the garage doors Friday night and fail to lock the door with entry to the kitchen?

Doesn't matter I suppose. The killer came prepared. Maybe he had even found a hidden house key on a previous visit to the home.

A link to the aerial view of the property: https://www.homesnap.com/GA/Eatonton/147-Carolyn-Drive

so to correct my assessment of the upper level and decks/porches............in this pic, the kitchen appears to open up into the screened porch or to the landing or walkway on the back of the house, still upper level but they have some terracing going on with the decks/porches, if you find the kitchen with door leading outside you can see the grill, then from lakeside, you can see the grill fruther to the right looking at it, but its not inside the screened porch which leads to driveway at garage doors

No i just think tey wanted them both found but just not found soon, gotta reach that 48 hours, confuse things a bit, in this case, A LOT, dont seems to have a clear profile of the killer according to all the confusion they left behind...but i think we're getting closer!

WOW, pics are still online..........see to the left there is what looks like an interior door, which I do believe leads to the garage..............on the right of the kitche, the glass door leads to upper porch http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...lyn-Dr_Eatonton_GA_31024_M51460-57737#photo14

I cannot believe those pictures were still there! That house is GORGEOUS! I had forgotten just how beautiful - and the view of Lake Oconee - a million dollar view!

Yep, I see the two doors. The left door (glass or screen) would lead to the covered front porch area with the grill but you also exit to the front of the home. And the right door leads to the upper level porch?

So the interior door between the range top and the oven, leads to the garage? It looks like it could be a pantry door, but it is indeed the exit or entry from the garage? Be patient with me dancin'. I'm directionally challenged here.

Gonna post this one picture not from the realtor's site, but from the AJC. Maybe the picture police won't come arrest me.

Lake Oconee.jpg

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...sumes-georgia-sheriff/mT5Ct0txjkhUaQJLxb4PQJ/

Yes that is true Lawdog!! Hey where ya been!? It's scary and frustrating cuz like you say, the good people cna't stand up to that hardly and so leaves a bad imprint on the brain when uyou see that kind of corruption. SO SAD

I am still checking in, and still think there is a missing link that we have yet to discover...Will we EVER?

we;ll call the lakeside the back, the driveway side the front, typically its the other way around on the lake, well for me tho, i call my lake side yard the front LOL

but the kitchen door leads to the lakeside screen porch, there is a long hallway foyer and DR at the front entrance from the driveway

looks like the kitchen and garage is to the left where teh screened porch is

could be a pantry, was there 2 doors? I am certain one leads to the garage, most houses do but thougth i rmembered it did

I cannot believe those pictures were still there! That house is GORGEOUS! I had forgotten just how beautiful - and the view of Lake Oconee - a million dollar view!

Yep, I see the two doors. The left door (glass or screen) would lead to the covered front porch area with the grill but you also exit to the front of the home. And the right door leads to the upper level porch?

So the interior door between the range top and the oven, leads to the garage? It looks like it could be a pantry door, but it is indeed the exit or entry from the garage? Be patient with me dancin'. I'm directionally challenged here.

Gonna post this one picture not from the realtor's site, but from the AJC. Maybe the picture police won't come arrest me.

View attachment 121306

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...sumes-georgia-sheriff/mT5Ct0txjkhUaQJLxb4PQJ/

Lawdog, I think about you and remember those other eatonton murders...was just talking about you and that the other day and after reading corrupt small towns, got me to doubting this theory again!!.....well atleast we are hopefully getting some clarity IDK, i do feel things are clearer as far as murderer, but the WHO, grrrr. frustrating, can you imagine be SS and having on ly one guy helping you, atleast we all have some feedback here
I am still checking in, and still think there is a missing link that we have yet to discover...Will we EVER?

would have to find it but somehow i thought hte podcast and other articles said fromthe kitchen to the garage but i may be making my own memories idk LOL

but logically, looking at th rfront of the house, the garage is on the side by the screened porch, find the grill in the pictures, its on the lakeside outside of kitchen, then look at the view from the lake of the back of the house, you can see I think the grill on the right wichi leads to screened porch from deck

View attachment 121306

BOOTS, there are what look like 2 interior doors in short hallway, one has glass over it, i bet thats the exterior, the other one may be a 1/2 bath or pantry..........i THINK if one was to exit there to the garage, youll end up by the screend porch at driveway?? Im getting confused now!

another thought, since the back kitchen door was unlocked when friends arrived, maybe the killers just exited there and went down to the lake, did they ENTER there too? and the man on the lawn, lakeside, right? had to be, no other neighbors on the road side to witness him....IF they'd left out the front, would they have left the front door unlocked? So does this indicate they left by boat or that they didnt want anyone coming in the front door right away or both?

kitchen is on back left of home here is the entrance to kitchen, https://p.rdcpix.com/v02/ldf29ff44-m6xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

here is the entrance and to the DR which is in front of the kitchen at front of house by hallway foyer
front porch
https://p.rdcpix.com/v02/ldf29ff44-m7xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

hall and Dining room to LR
https://p.rdcpix.com/v02/ldf29ff44-m8xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

makes sense DR is on left as is the kitchen

i see the pantry, its in the MIDDLE of the kitchen on wall, the short hallway is probalby half bath and glass over door is exit to garage

another thought, since the back kitchen door was unlocked when friends arrived, maybe the killers just exited there and went down to the lake, did they ENTER there too? and the man on the lawn, lakeside, right? had to be, no other neighbors on the road side to witness him....IF they'd left out the front, would they have left the front door unlocked? So does this indicate they left by boat or that they didnt want anyone coming in the front door right away or both?

That's what I think too. They left by the back kitchen door - same way they came in. Although I think. . . probably Mrs. D was lured outside too by a noise. Maybe they snuck up on her while she was in the kitchen? I just think they wanted to leave the house in as pristine condition as they found it. Doing the murders outside where water was easily accessible for clean up. I just don't think they were taken at the same time.

They got Mrs. D. She either screamed or put up a fight or something. The noise awoke Mr. D who came out of the bedroom, possibly with a gun and outdoors is where he was ambushed. Just thoughts. I wish they would catch them. SS needs to give some new information.

I'm in the middle of a remodel right now and now know how important the proximity to plumbing is to home design. Since the room with the transom window is directly behind the part of the kitchen that has the sink and drains it makes me think that it is either a laundry room or a bathroom. I'd guess laundry, the other could be a bathroom or pantry closet

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I can't shake the feeling that it's an illegitimate child of Mr. D who killed them. The children would want to keep it quiet if they even had a hint that they may have a half sibling somewhere, wouldn't want to risk any inheritance. Did Mr or Mrs D have living siblings? Curious if they've been interviewed. Siblings sometimes know and will talk about things that happened years ago

I thought at the beginning we had a layout of the rooms, maybe from the tax office?
Anyway, throwing this out, the screened porch looks like it has a door on the backside {lake side) to the upper deck. It looks like the screened porch is next to the kitchen. In the kitchen to the left, there are two doors. One could be to a half bath and the other could go to the screened porch or to a set of three steps to get into the garage. The garage looks to be about three steps lower than the kitchen level. The door in the middle of the kitchen is probably the pantry.

Didn't SS go into the garage through a regular door because the garage doors were down? Was that door he went through from the first floor "basement" or from the kitchen or the screened porch?

How did they get the groceries in the house? I wouldn't think they would tote the groceries outside the garage to get on the screened porch to get to the kitchen? Maybe they had an elevator in the basement?

ETA - I was making this post and got distracted. When I came back and posted, I see you all have covered most of this.
Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members