GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This crime really defies the code of conduct in organized crime, old school type anyways.
You don't kill someone like they did Mr D and still think you are going to have "negotiations" with someone close to him for the safe return of Mrs. D. No way that would never happen.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario...als_his_code_for_killings.html?app=noRedirect

negotiations may have been OVER, IDK, but it instills fear and later submission by whomever you are trying to control?

Or maybe someone just wanted this sweet old couple dead

I'm thinking deranged killer still .. the beheading is what makes me think that.

I honor and respect your opinion Advocate1, but the reason Sheriff Howard Sills hasn't invited in the GBI is due to his ego, imo.. Why else would you squander a very valuable and free investigative resource? A very valuable investigative resource was squandered in the Adam Walsh investigation. That is why it went cold for two and a half decades. Once the neglected resource was given the file to re-investigate. The case was finally resolved..

Imo, this crime has absolutely no signs/markings/indications of organized crime, imo. A professional would have made a clean hit on both victims at the same location.
There was an obvious motive Mrs. D was taken to another location, imo.
There will be a direct or indirect meth connection, imo..

I guess I have the same question the Sheriff did. What exactly can GBI do that he and the FBI can't? Would you rather have GBI or the FBI behavioral division interviewing people?

The investigators used a form with 30 questions to talk with residents. It was developed by Sills, his staff, FBI agents and the FBI's behavioral unit from Quantico, Va., Sills said, adding he had never seen an investigation in which this many people were interviewed in as short a period of time.

http://m.msgr.com/mobile/news/article_2a8f6f2a-def2-11e3-bd10-0019bb2963f4.html

Here is a detailed timeline up to May 9th from the Eatonton Messenger

http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_d8154a8a-db9a-11e3-b822-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks to scubadvr99 for the link to the Eatonton Messenger.

Timeline
Eatonton Messenger Timeline Karen Bridgeman
Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says he believes Russell Dermond was killed Friday, May 2, or Saturday, May 3.

A timeline compiled from available information follows:
This is an edited version;please read the entire time-time printed at the link provided in Scubadvr99's post.

Thursday, May 1: Russell Dermond is seen at Publix in Lake Oconee Village Shopping Center. Shirley Dermond plays in one of the twice-weekly bridge games hosted at The Plaza Arts Center by the Eatonton Duplicate Bridge Club; <snipped>

Friday, May 2: A resident reports seeing someone he thought was Russell Dermond walking on the neighborhood golf course, but says he is not sure.

Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday&#8217;s edition of USAToday<snipped>

Saturday, May 3: Mail delivered to the home is not picked up, and the Dermonds fail to show up at a Kentucky Derby party <snipped>

Tuesday, May 6: Russell Dermond&#8217;s body is discovered by a neighbor checking on the couple shortly before 10 a.m. Shirley Dermond is missing. The house is unlocked <snipped> Shirley Dermond&#8217;s purse, Russell Dermond&#8217;s wallet, <snipped>cell phones and credit cards are there; <snipped>cars are in the garage.

&#8220;Our patrol boat was dragging the cove within an hour and our cadaver dog was searching the adjacent woods within two hours&#8221; of receiving the 911 call, Sills said.

<snipped>

Wednesday, May 7: The Dermond children arrive in Putnam County: daughter Leslie Patton from North Carolina and sons Keith and Brad from Florida. <snipped> A third son, Mark, was killed in 2000<snipped>his killer is serving life plus 25 years.*

Thursday, May 8: Sills holds the only press conference of the case<snipped>

Friday, May 9: Sills says autopsy results show the cause of death is &#8220;craniocerebral trauma&#8221; <snipped>

<snipped>

Lots of contradictory opinion in this article ..

Georgia decapitation murder profile: Psychiatrist says suspect is mentally ill

Douglas says that with a mentally ill suspect you typically see a disorganized crime scene, or a mixed crime scene, which has some disorganized activity in conjunction with some evidence of an organized influence to it. But the person who abducted Shirley Dermond, and killed and decapitated her husband, had such mental acumen at the time of their crime that they managed to enter undetected onto the gated community where the victims lived, as well as exit the property with Shirley Dermond in tow, and leave no discernible evidence behind that would tie them to the crime by police.

http://www.examiner.com/article/geo...ile-psychiatrist-says-suspect-is-mentally-ill

BBM: I wonder though, what if the person they are looking for lives in that very community, so therefore would have had no problem doing so.

I don't think they were beaten as in fists. Sills said he saw no trauma on Shirley's body. He wouldn't be able to see the skull fractures. The ME would see that when he shaved her head to do the autopsy or when he took head xrays.

They definitely look like they were both bludgeoned to death with something that is consistent with a crowbar. Bludgeoning murders are most often done by someone who had familiarity with the victims. Imo, it shows personal rage and pent up hatred toward the victim.

In every case that I have kept up with a lot of times its the autopsy the police is waiting for so the ME can tell them what kind of weapon he/she thinks was used to make the wounds. From their information they know what type of weapon to be looking for. That is why a detective is on scene at the time of autopsy. So the ME can give them any guidance about the evidence the body revealed to him/her.

I don't believe the weapon belonged to the victims but I know LE has to check it out in case one is missing. I think it belongs to the killer himself.

IMO[/QUODear Ocean- I learned about the crowbar in your
#47 post. I asked for verification but maybe I missed it. From
that post, it sounds as though you have insider lnowledge.
Or maybe I misread your post.

See and I think that is exactly why the killer did that.
There is no question the killers meant to send message. Part of solving this crime will be figuring out what that message was and who it was targeting.

I definitely understand what you are saying, but I don't think this was a planned or targeted crime. I totally believe it was a crime of rage and was set off by something that happened that night between Mr. D and someone he encountered on his property. Someone that should not have been there and Mr. D was trying to run them off. Could have been unsavory individuals and maybe drugs were involved too. Mr. D made them really mad and they retaliated. Not a hit, but a rage murder. jmo

that profiler also completely discounts the very large access point that is the lake. :cow:

Thanks to scubadvr99 for the link to the Eatonton Messenger.

Timeline
Eatonton Messenger Timeline(link to their website above)
Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says he believes Russell Dermond was killed Friday, May 2, or Saturday, May 3.

A timeline compiled from available information follows:
This is an edited version;please read the entire time-time printed at the link provided in Scubadvr99's post.

Thursday, May 1: Russell Dermond is seen at Publix in Lake Oconee Village Shopping Center. Shirley Dermond plays in one of the twice-weekly bridge games hosted at The Plaza Arts Center by the Eatonton Duplicate Bridge Club; <snipped>

Friday, May 2: A resident reports seeing someone he thought was Russell Dermond walking on the neighborhood golf course, but says he is not sure.

Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday’s edition of USAToday<snipped>

Saturday, May 3: Mail delivered to the home is not picked up, and the Dermonds fail to show up at a Kentucky Derby party <snipped>

Tuesday, May 6: Russell Dermond’s body is discovered by a neighbor checking on the couple shortly before 10 a.m. Shirley Dermond is missing. The house is unlocked <snipped> Shirley Dermond’s purse, Russell Dermond’s wallet, <snipped>cell phones and credit cards are there; <snipped>cars are in the garage.

“Our patrol boat was dragging the cove within an hour and our cadaver dog was searching the adjacent woods within two hours” of receiving the 911 call, Sills said.

<snipped>

Wednesday, May 7: The Dermond children arrive in Putnam County: daughter Leslie Patton from North Carolina and sons Keith and Brad from Florida. <snipped> A third son, Mark, was killed in 2000<snipped>his killer is serving life plus 25 years.*

Thursday, May 8: Sills holds the only press conference of the case<snipped>

Friday, May 9: Sills says autopsy results show the cause of death is “craniocerebral trauma” <snipped>

<snipped>

BBM His wallet was there. Doesn't say if it was in his pant's pocket but I would guess they mean in the house. His children would know his habits about where he kept his wallet while in the house, did he take it on his walks...?

Skipping ahead / reading back, I have to wonder if any of their kids have an angry ex. Next would be grandkids with a shady ex, or significant other.

"Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday&#8217;s edition of USAToday" from the article upthread.

FYI: USA Today newspaper comes in the mail, not via paper service in most of GA.

"Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday’s edition of USAToday" from the article upthread.

FYI: USA Today newspaper comes in the mail, not via paper service in most of GA.

Thank You for this info!

"Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday’s edition of USAToday" from the article upthread.

Thanks for that info. 4:30pm is late in the day to have to wait for your newspaper!

Thank You for this info!

I hope they confirm(ed) how theirs is delivered. Mine ( I live in S GA ) is a day behind- I get Thursday's paper on Friday

How will USA TODAY be delivered?
Depending on where you live, you will receive USA TODAY by either carrier delivery (to your home or office in the morning) or via the US Postal Service. Although the majority of USA TODAY subscriptions are delivered either by carrier or same-day mail, some areas may be delivered by the US Postal Service on a delay. If you have questions about how your subscription will be delivered, please call us at 1-800-872-0001 (M-F 8:00AM - 7:00PM ET).

http://service.usatoday.com/faq/utfaq.jsp#section3

I am starting to believe this was a rage murder also. A hit man, mob, cartel would have come better prepared, I'm thinking with a gun. Killing someone by hitting them in the head sounds like anger. Decapitation extreme anger. But taking the head with them sounds like a crazy person.

I'm so afraid Mrs. D was taken to a house somewhere & God knows what happened.

IMHO VERY improbable that they were wearing their pajamas (he at one point iirc was stated in his pj's right?) on the dock *atthelake*. Robes after skinny dipping yes :giggle: but in pj's, highly unlikely.

probable, 'athelake" I have several times worn my pjs to the dock, at night or in the morning, nothing improper however

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005