GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the perp didn't sneak up behind one of them and hit them in the head, knocking them out, then he very well could have been swinging the weapon (whatever it was) in the garage. Sills said there are no bullets or casings in the garage. He didn't say they had no clue what was used when Mr. D was attacked. They were awful certain he died of crainial trauma. That leads me to believe that there are marks in the garage that resulted from swinging that weapon and missing his target, hitting walls, door or something similar.

A crow bar, pry bar would be something someone would use to break into a residence, so I can see why a perp would have it.
That does make me question the age of the killer.
Too young to buy a gun? It does seem only like "punks" would attack an old couple with something like that. They weren't headed to a street fight.
Sigh.

moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

now wondering if a machete could cause death by blunt force trauma nd be used to behead someone after the fact

Yes. Remember Travis Alexander? = [

I am still open to the head being taken as a message or it being a really jacked up deflecting red herring done with purpose either way.

One does not accidently severe someone's head IMO so yes, there was a specific reason. Whether to horrify or suggest some other perp or group than the actual one, there was a reason IMO

I agree and will go one more step. I think the killer probably worked for the Dermonds at some time.

Has anyone been able to find anything about who ran up the 2k bill on the couples credit card? I wonder how they got access to the couples credit card?
Also it was said the couple didn't have a debit card.
Did they keep a large amount of cash at their house?

Hello fellow sleuthers...

Have been away on a camping trip for the weekend with friends, so unfortunately missed a lot of what has been going on, still trying to catch up on all the posts. Some great theories and ideas here, like many I have a feeling that LE knows much more than they are divulging, and are just methodically building their case. I feel like with the discovery of Mrs. D that they have some missing pieces and I really feel that they will solve this and make an arrest soon.

So sad for the family, truly hope no one there was involved in any way.

Drove about 2 hours east to our campsite - actually crossed over Oconee at one point, going out I said to my family I sure hope they find her soon, coming back home we were all very quiet as we passed over the bridge over Oconee, each saying silent prayers for that poor woman who didn't deserve this. I'm so glad they found her and she can be laid to rest now with her husband...

Just my sad thoughts on a rainy Sunday night in georgia...

With the exception of taking Mrs. Dermond.

And that is a very big exception.

That's why I added drug cartel. Unlike the mafia, they will kill everybody they come in contact with to prove their point, including the dog. And they would take Mr Dermond's head back as proof to whoever wanted them dead. No pun intended, but Sheriff Sills is in in over his head on this one. Killers will never be caught, IMHO

According to the vide at http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/source-investigators-find-body-putnam-county/nfyK5/

“Sheriff says elderly women died of blunt force trauma to the head.” “Now that they know how the wife has died they are looking at the house for a crowbar or whatever the murder weapon could be”

So LE is not saying a crowbar but the reporter is.

Going on the premise that this was pre-planned and a boat was used to gain access to the home I was trying to come up with items that would be on a boat that could be used as a weapon.

Boat hook – Round tube, usually aluminum or maybe stainless and long with a point and curve at the end to pick up lead lines. Can be used to push off docks or grab a line when you need to be able to reach longer than your arm would. Hand tool. To light for a blunt force trauma type weapon in my opinion.

Sail/line crank handle (for a sailboat) – Item that is put over the roller pin that winds the sail line up into a coil. Its heavy, has a round open end that fits over the pin, with a handle that comes off the side so you can turn it. [Think winch but sideways] Hand tool. Are there sailboats on the lake large enough to have mast rigging that would hold sails large enough to use a crank handle to lower and raise the sails?

Stanchion bar. --These are guide lines post (think guard rail) that would be attached along the boat just inside the scupper rim on the outer edge of the hull. There are usually round, but the end is flat where it is fastened to the boat. This would have to have been broken off (with a lot of strength) or removed on purpose. Not a hand tool type of item.

Flag staff holder –Usually a round tub that fits down inside a hollow bracket. It comes in two pieces; the part that you attach the flag to and the end that is screwed down. They do have newer flat sided ones but I think that type is all one piece and is more for a permanent type mounting; you can only remove the flag from the arm not the entire arm itself from the bracket. Not a hand tool type of item but the arm could be used as a weapon. Not sure if it would be heavy enough though.

o2 tank Dive bottle bracket/strap. --The metal strap that goes across the tank to keep it in place against side of boat. Width would be about the same as a crowbar. It would have to be broken off or removed. Not a hand tool type of item. Don’t know if anyone would be doing any diving in the lake to have scuba gear on a boat and have that gear set up in that manner.

Engine Hatch Cover Lifter – There are different types; flat bar like on one end, round handles with hook on end. It slides under the handle that lays flat to help raise the door in the deck to get to inboard engines so you don’t bugger up your knuckles. Hand tool.

Then there is the engine tool box that most boats would carry. Boat and Engine size would dictate what type of tools. I know very little about engine mechanics except that we always carried a back-up prop and the specialty tool you needed to replace it.

I’m sure there are other things as well. That was just off the top of my head from being around boats when I was a kid.

tlcya, #237 that you posted is blowing margins, as is #242 reply by gngr-snap. Can you resize please?

Here is a smaller one i think from that site for you.

jungle-machete-97jms.jpg

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/jungle-machete-97jms.jpg

ETA: To add the link instead of just the photo

Detectives interview lake subdivision residents in Putnam murder investigation

Detectives interviewed more than 200 residents of Putnam County’s Great Waters subdivision Sunday, asking what they might have seen during the time when authorities believe Russell and Shirley Dermond were killed earlier this month.

now wondering if a machete could cause death by blunt force trauma nd be used to behead someone after the fact

There is also the possibility of a samurai sword. Mr. D. was a WWII Navy Vet. Could he have brought home one from Japan. I know my father tried, along with some kimonos, but everything was confiscated when he got back on ship even before leaving the harbor.

According to the age and the maker of samurai swords the value of them can be huge. Not up on my history of the samurai but I seem to remember some talk about how many of these were taken off the islands during the war and there was a hue and cry that there were national treasurers and should be returned.

A sword would be able, if the person who was using knew what they were doing, to take a head off clean.

Just tossing more into the pot.

I don't know if it is anything significant, but according to homesnap.com there is an aerial google view with property lines shown. The way I see it on the map, the buildings next door cross the property lines. The home on the market now was on the market for a full year, then removed according to Coldwell-Banker then relisted again this January again.

Am I crazy?
JMO's

http://www.homesnap.com/GA/Eatonton/147-Carolyn-Drive

Maybe I can help with this one...
Homesnap has something wrong here, this doesn't look like the correct location or the property lines are just way off. If you go to the Putnam County tax website, you'll see a fairly accurate rendering of the property boundaries. You can toggle between aerial and map views. The D's property has vacant lots on both sides and the house for sale is well within its property lines.

Not to say there couldn't have been some kind of ongoing neighbor dispute, however it doesn't seem likely to me. JMO

http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/...8&layers=parcels+streetnum+roads+parcel_sales

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF...=us&ei=LU95U6OeM8mhqAbFi4CIDQ&ved=0CCYQ8gEwAA

It made a difference and caused additional stress, trauma and heartache to those close to Mrs. Dermond.

You are totally correct, but I don't think that is why the killer did that. That is what I was referring to. And thinking that I asked what was the point. ty

So, using my noodle, knowing that she was NOT driven by boat and dumped in broad daylight,
The time of death is actually between 4:30pm May 2 and sunrise May 3?
Sunset was 8:16pm May 2.
Sunrise was 6:43am May 3.
http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA
And the moon was a waxing crescent.
Waxing Crescent, 12% of the Moon is Illuminated.

and moonrise/moonset on Friday the 2nd was 8:27 22:43

So pretty dark after 10:43 pm on the lake.

JMO- I don't dispute that we have evil in our midst, including the cartel. Sure they are in the Atlanta area. It's a metropolis.
HOWEVER...
MS-13 would not have known the specifics of the dump site, the fact that on the Green County side there Or that were no homes with 1/3 of a mile of that location. Sadly and to everyone's disappointment it IS a local or it is someone that used to live in the area and frequent t lake Oconee.
Where did MS-13 get a boat? Tow it from Mexico? Rent one? Steal one?
A hit is a hit. Not killing two innocent people and trolling around in the dark to locate underwater "forests" to hide one body.
- We have been told-
Something similar to a crow bar was used on Mrs D.
There was no struggle in the home.
Mr. D might have been killed at another location.
No significant trauma to their bodies. (Other than the decapitation)
Mrs. D was likely transported by boat and placed in a place only a local would know about and be able to locate under the cover of darkness.

Originally I was thinking a 20- 40yr old.
Due to the lack of additional injuries to bodies and the disposal, Mr. D left in garage, Mrs. D dropped off a boat, my age range has extended to 70 +.

All moo.
And yes, it still could be cartel- never say never....

It's sounding like they may of been beaten to death.
That makes me wonder now if something happened that escalated to them being killed. If the murder weapon is a crow bar or another item found at the house that changes things IMO.

Were there any tool missing from the victim's garage, or does anyone know? Most garages have plenty of tool, hammers, shovels many things you could use to bludgeon without actual being seen bringing one. But just take it with them when they took Mrs. D..

JMO's

There is also the possibility of a samurai sword. Mr. D. was a WWII Navy Vet. Could he have brought home one from Japan. I know my father tried, along with some kimonos, but everything was confiscated when he got back on ship even before leaving the harbor.

According to the age and the maker of samurai swords the value of them can be huge. Not up on my history of the samurai but I seem to remember some talk about how many of these were taken off the islands during the war and there was a hue and cry that there were national treasurers and should be returned.

A sword would be able, if the person who was using knew what they were doing, to take a head off clean.

Just tossing more into the pot.

agreed maybe a sword but I was feeling like anything such as that owned by Mr. Dermond would likely be known about by his children and we can only assume it is not missing so if a sword was used and it belonged to Dermond, LE would know it is missing and would have already suspected it as the beheading instrument or would have it in their possession already.

Could you go back to the post of yours I am quoting and remove the image from the quoted portion of my post if you would be so kind? I blew the margins because the image was too large. I have removed it from my original post but now as quoted in yours it has blown the margins again.

Thanks so much,sorry for the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member