GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hickory. I hope you have enjoyed the long holiday weekend.:)

Its just a theory of course.

But when Sills did say he thought someone was attempting to financially gain from them then what else could it be other than trying to bilk money out of them in some way?

Its just that I have read about so many scams and their main target seems to be the elderly. These aren't scammers that do it over the phone. Since my hubby and I are in our 60s now the scam calls have picked way up. Of course I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.

But anyway they do it face to face and a very convincing. Pretending to be 'one of them.' That is why scams make billions a year off of good people who trusted the scammer. They are very very good at what they do. They appear to be highly successful with an affluent lifestyle. There have always been crooks who are trying to get someone else's money they didn't work for. Its smooth sailing until they get caught and then they can end up like Bernie Madoff.

Just thinking........nothing more. lol

IMO

OBE---I like your theory about someone having scammed the Dermonds, then they were discovered, and the older couple was not happy. Maybe they were threatening the scammer with LE, IRS, etc. It is a very interesting theory! If it isn't someone very close to them, who had something financial to gain from their deaths, the scam theory would be the next direction I would take. Our elderly citizens are so very vulnerable in this regard. They worry they will outlive their funds, and I can see how an unscrupulous person could gain their confidence, offering them an opportunity for an investment too good to be true. :twocents:

IMHO

Today, my brain seems to have taken a break! Where are the GW security cameras that were not working at the time of these murders? Are they at the entrance only where the guards are? Are the cameras located throughout the roads in GW?

The reason for this question is if the perps access was by boat, why would it matter if the cameras were down?

I'm not sure if the GW security cameras were only at the gate or rather spread throughout the community. Sheriff Sills seemed rather frustrated to announce that he was working on finding about the cameras not working. Then, we find out that some residents have their own cameras which is really good news. Somehow I think it boils down to who knew the Dermonds well enough for them to just open their door to them, who knew about the Kentucky Derby Party and the cameras not working, but didn't count on people actually having their own security cameras and fraudulent credit card charges. Rx meds specifically could be a motive as mentioned earlier... especially barbiturates and/or opiates - narcotics. :cry: :no: Maybe they were going to ride with someone to the Kentucky Derby party and that person never showed. :sigh:

Warning Graphic!

...Scroll down and begin reading on page #78..
Interview of Gary Hilton by the GBI enroute to Dawson Forest WMA- Atlanta Tract(01/07/2008) to locate the remains of hiker 24 year old Meredith Hope Emerson, who had been decapitated(serrated kitchen knife) after meeting her demise from blunt force trauma (iron bar/tire tool).

http://www.sickcrimes.us/2008/08/gary-hiltons-confession-1950

Foxfire! I read the whole interview and was completely disgusted. Why I didn't stop reading may be my own interst in a search for the truth, no matter what it takes. How these investigators do it day in and day out, they have to sort out themselves, but I am glad they do. I had also thought of him earlier on in the case since he killed elderly couples, maybe to get their PIN numbers; an ATM release of money usually is capped a couple of hundred dollars, which was apparently was all it took for him to continue his living in his van sort of life.

I do think it would work honeybun. I never said he wouldn't have to leave the cove. Of course he would and he would know better than anyone how to navigate to get out on the deep waters where he discarded Shirley. Imo, all of this was done after dark. No one would see what was going on behind his own property or behind the Dermonds home.

Yes, he was killed some place other than the Dermonds home. And the murder scene could have been on his property or home.

His safety shield was he did this after dark and he used the lake as a shield when it was also dark.

Very doable to me.

:floorlaugh: I am confused why you think this wouldn't work.

Hi Ocean, I think Mr D was bonked on the head, which killed him, I hope instantly. That doesn't mean his body had to be moved far for the head removal. Entertaining your theory on a neighbor being involved, still.

There is already a huge clue from LE who did the deed. It's a matter of time. The theory which makes the best sense will be the maybe motive/evidence provider/alibi evidence/forensic clues etc.

Sheriff Sills specifically mentioned working on a "paper" trail. Hmmmmm....

Instead of paying attention at mass today, I continued obsessing over this crime.

"He also gave his investigators the weekend off because the case is now focused on paper trails, legal filings and tracking down leads in the business community that’s shut down until Tuesday."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/311...o-effect.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

Mr. D sold a boat, reportedly, a couple of years ago. Suppose he sold this boat to someone close to him, someone he knew and sold it privately with monthly payments to be made to Mr. D. Maybe that person couldn't or wouldn't abide by the contract and failed to pay some notes. This did occur around the first of the month, payday for some. Maybe Mr. D expected this person to come by his house with the payment(s). Maybe that someone was in a position to believe that they should have been given the boat, or sold it to him/her at a lower price. *perceived financial gain*?

Though I think that a *perceived financial gain* would be more than a boat, but it's just a thought.

If this theory is true, I would guess more investors might be in danger.

So, to take this one step further.....could one or more of these hypothetical investors have been attending the Derby party too?
And that's why they were killed before they could alert anyone else to the scam?

There is an individual indirectly involved who is somewhat mysterious. At least to the degree that this person does not really "check out", if someone started poking around. This may or may not be connected to the "huge clue" but at least there should be some explanation for the typical questions about some things which are quite ordinary for others but not for this person, and it would take a person with some direct knowledge of some seemingly unconnected facts to take notice.

I thought of these issues some time ago but the circumstances are potentially quite painful.

I've wondered if anyone else would notice the same circumstances...

I have thought this too. Look, apparently this weekend's spree killer in CA, with movie linked parentage, created some heavy handed violence. Clearly, he was disturbed, clearly he came from a well to do family, and clearly he was angry. Not to say this case has anything to do with our case, but there are common denominators in those who commit murder. I still think figuring out the motive is the only thing that will lead our investigators in the proper direction. Unfortunately, the GA perp didn't post a youtube video explaining why he did it.

People have been killed for less than a boat, so who knows? Maybe this person was tired of making payments, or had lost his job and couldn't afford to make payments any more. Figured he had made enough payments and had overpaid for the boat. . .

The security system going down scream that this was set up premeditated.
The person responsible knew this.
Jmo

No doubt in my mind.....security going down a WEEK -APPROX--before the murders was NO coincidinky.

A digital paper trail even?

"So, remember that no matter where you go and what you do on the Internet, you most always leave a digital paper trail of your activities."
http://www.solutionary.com/resource...ital-paper-trail-an-intelligence-perspective/

That would explain a holiday weekend off.
Detectives can't get into the deep web like oh, say the FBI can.

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Great article. I bet someone is sweating bullets about now, if they weren't already, or as someone put it so eloquently pooping :bricks:.

Hi Ocean, I think Mr D was bonked on the head, which killed him, I hope instantly. That doesn't mean his body had to be moved far for the head removal. Entertaining your theory on a neighbor being involved, still.

We've discussed what could have been used. What about a bat, or those batons that security guards carry around? It would have to be somebody strong enough to kill someone in one whack or knock them unconscious and then smother them with a pillow or the like.

Someone the Dermonds knew....someone they would just open the door for. Someone considered close to them.
Someone who had something financially to gain but didn't even bother to take the time to gather the valuables at that moment....
because they knew they would receive them later?

I know I am in the minority group here when I say I do not see any family involvement connection in this case. I have just seen no evidence to support it. Of course I respect everyone's opinions and know everyone has a right to state their own opinion about any case here.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Sills would say 'attempting to financially gain' if he was thinking the children were involved and I have never picked up on him believing the family is involved. He seems to have been in close contact with them when they came down..via phone when they went home, and when they came back when he released the home back over to the children.

Maybe I would possibly think differently if S&R were younger and if the hit man or whoever had left both bodies there to prove that both were dead so the Estate could be opened so it could be executed. But I cannot reconcile the fact that Shirley was taken and submerged, weighted down in 48 feet of water and hidden away and connect that fact up with a family wanting to kill both of their parents to get their assets.

If financial gain was their motive then that just doesn't make sense. It is counter productive to even getting the Estate open. And I firmly believe whoever put Shirley on the bottom of the lake never ever expected her to rise. If they had then they wouldn't have gone through all the trouble and risks to begin with to put her there.

If Shirley had remained missing none of her legal rights would have been set aside. It would take up to 5-7 years before a Judge would declare her legally deceased and in the meantime the estate would be suspended in limbo. So by then if Shirley and Russ had lived they would have probably died of natural causes in their 90s.

Now I know it is common as rain to suspect family members. I cant remember one case where that didn't happen even though very often it turned out in the end that the family members had no involvement whatsoever.

I think sometimes that is done because none of us knows the family members personally so we conjure up in our own minds how we think they are. I never see family members in this same situation ever get the approval of the masses on MBs.

It just makes no sense to me they would be involved. Even Sills says this may be someone the Dermonds aren't even close friends with but were acquainted somehow.

Imo, this wasn't done for robbery or items that were in the home but it makes more sense if the children were really the ones involved then they would have made sure the hit man ransacked the home as if robbery was the motive.

IMO

No doubt in my mind.....security going down a WEEK -APPROX--before the murders was NO coincidinky.

Nope! I totally agree and why didn't security alert the community, or maybe they did or did it just come to light after the Dermonds' murders? Makes me think inside job and more than one perp.

Instead of paying attention at mass today, I continued obsessing over this crime.

"He also gave his investigators the weekend off because the case is now focused on paper trails, legal filings and tracking down leads in the business community that’s shut down until Tuesday."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/311...o-effect.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

Mr. D sold a boat, reportedly, a couple of years ago. Suppose he sold this boat to someone close to him, someone he knew and sold it privately with monthly payments to be made to Mr. D. Maybe that person couldn't or wouldn't abide by the contract and failed to pay some notes. This did occur around the first of the month, payday for some. Maybe Mr. D expected this person to come by his house with the payment(s). Maybe that someone was in a position to believe that they should have been given the boat, or sold it to him/her at a lower price. *perceived financial gain*?

Though I think that a *perceived financial gain* would be more than a boat, but it's just a thought.

I agree with the commenter on the article - they really need to correct the spelling. It should be affect, not effect.

Nope! I totally agree and why didn't security alert the community, or maybe they did or did it just come to light after the Dermonds' murders? Makes me think inside job and more than one perp.

Exactly! What reason could the neighborhood gate watchers have to keep the broken security system away from residents? huuuummmmm

I also think that the killer knew the Dermonds did not have cameras installed pointing toward the lake from the back of their home.

As everyone is aware of by now.....I think the killer lives either all year round or part time right inside GW. If he had cameras himself then he would make sure they were off so that the backside of his property couldn't be taped either the night he did this.

I also think that the killer knew the Dermonds did not have cameras installed pointing toward the lake from the back of their home.

As everyone is aware of by now.....I think the killer lives either all year round or part time right inside GW. If he had cameras himself then he would make sure they were off so that the backside of his property couldn't be taped either the night he did this.

Exactly! Also, where Mrs. Dermond's body was found leads me to believe it is someone who lives on the lake either part-time or all the time. Some regular Tom, Dick or Harry from out of the area is not going to be able to dump a body specifically in that area. It's someone who regularly fishes and knows where the fish are....

"With Memorial Day weekend launching boating season, Sills expects more gawkers.

“We certainly have had that happen so far, so it wouldn’t surprise me,” Sills said.

His deputies will be patrolling the lake as usual for the kickoff of summer and will make sure there is no trespassing onto the Dermond property, he warned.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources also will be on the water, said Capt. Mark Padgett, Region 3 supervisor.

No places are off-limits in the wake of the killings, he said, including the spot where Shirley Dermond’s body was retrieved May 16.

DNR crews began searching the lake soon after the first body was found, and although they suspended regular searches for other evidence earlier this week, the rangers are still thinking about the case.

“We’ll be on the lake patrolling all weekend,” Padgett said. “We’ll ride through there to see if anything would surface.”
Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/24/3113748/dermond-slayings-expected-to-effect.html?sp=%2F99%2F100%2F&ihp=1##storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member