GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
* Deflection; if the abduction/murder was pre-planned. Which imo, it was. This would have been done to confuse/mislead investigators into thinking the perps came in to GW from the outside..

Confuse the investigators - that's my thought too. I think someone came in through the security gate and was known and waved on in (perhaps even lived there), but I think someone else was in a boat. So, one by land and one by water/boat. The boat was used without permission and when the deed was done the boat was docked at its usual spot with no one the wiser and the two (if not 3) left by vehicle.

True but I think the Dermonds loved their children very much and were close to them.

I read an article that said the reason they retired where they did was because it was a halfway point between their daughter who lives in NC and their sons who live in Florida.

Oh I think the Dermonds loved their children also!

I don't believe the Dermonds had issues with anyone at all.
someone had issues with them.

Who?

Most of all WHY?

I think the motive has to be money also.

Okay, but where would the money/pay-off be coming from? The only people I see who stand to gain anything financially, would be those named as beneficiaries (on the will, life insurance). Now if one doesn't believe that immediate family members are behind this, how on earth could anyone else profit from the brutal deaths of the D's?

snipped for focus and BBM:

Layzee--
Possible an enemy of the D's neighbor could think that way, but....
(just speculating about other approaches the enemy might take...

paragraph 1 BBM
If an enemy of D's neighbor(s) wanted to hurt D's neighbor(s) whose house was listed for sale, why not either personally act or contract a
--- to spray graffiti on exterior walls, whack at bushes, trees, landscaping, pour chemical on grass to kill it, and/or
---to shoot out windows, yank screens, and/or
---to vandalize interior of house for sale, ransack furnishings, paint threats on walls, sledge hammer walls, leave faucet open to flood & ruin flooring, and/or
--- to plant bomb or burn down house.
i.e., damage the house for sale directly, which would require time, effort, and $ to return to sale-ready condition-- even if HO insurance would cover much of the expense.

paragraph 2 BBM
If someone, e.g., a competitor-developer, wanted to reduce GW home values, would these two horrific deaths achieve that goal?
Yes, imo, short term.
No, imo, long term.

JM2cts and I could be wrong. :seeya:

True.....but in the grand scheme of things, is there really anything more disturbing, heinous and liable to never be erased from memory, the brutal senseless murders of someone's god-fearing, well respected grandparents? IMO it doesn't get more evil than that. GW and RP will now, IMO, forever be known/thought of/associated with/remembered as "the gated community where that sweet old man's head was cut off and his wife was found dead in the lake." A house fire, vandalism, house-bombing -- these things wouldn't get and maintain the media coverage as what happened to the D's has.........and these things would be forgotten in time, whereas (IMO) what happened to the D's will never be forgotten and it will be remembered and talked about for decades and generations to come -- IMO.

Okay, but where would the money/pay-off be coming from? The only people I see.
who stand to gain anything financially, would be those named as beneficiaries (on the will, life insurance). Now if one doesn't believe that immediate family members are behind this, how on earth could anyone else profit from the brutal deaths of the D's?

Well I guess it depends on what one believes.

Its most certainly not a love triangle!
There was a purpose to this crime.

We don't know who would gain from their death.
Not like one died and another survived.

Wasn't a robbery! Seems nothing was taken from the home!

I don't believe its a stranger and why would someone living there want them dead?

It makes no sense to me?

so it has to be someone that has something to gain by their death and I do believe its money.

JMO

Hmmmmmm.... They want me to create an account to read the article. That's the first time that has happened. I have read several, in fact, most of the articles related to the case on the Messenger.

I noticed that more and more this is happening to various links to different publications on the internet.
There is also a cached version of this article on the internet if you chose not to create an account to read the article.
In the search bar on your computer, type in Shirley Dermond both cars in the garage and this link will come up with cached version of article.
IMOO.

Hey!
Maybe Mrs. D left things around and didn't have a tidy house.
At least not as tidy as what was found
Maybe dishes should have been in the sink or laundry in a basket

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some physical evidence.”

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/sheriff-slain-eatonton-couple-knew-their-killers/nf4WP/

What physical evidence does he have? What would prove that the person was someone they were at least minimally acquainted with?

There is something he is alluding to here. What could it be?

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some [red] physical evidence.”[/red]

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/sheriff-slain-eatonton-couple-knew-their-killers/nf4WP/

What physical evidence does e have? What would prove that the person was someone they were at least minimally acquainted with?

Did someone deliver their groceries?
Did they have a housekeeper?
Lawn guy?

Lawn guys and tree trimmers have sharp instruments!

“They were at least minimally acquainted with whoever did this,” Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. “That’s an assumption, coupled with some [red] physical evidence.”[/red]

What physical evidence does e have? What would prove that the person was someone they were at least minimally acquainted with?

Could the physical evidence be keying off the alarm system?

When did they last have roof repairs or replaced? Does the home have shingles? Termite inspection or treating? Who did their car maintenance? Did someone wash the windows for them? What about central air? Did they have it serviced?

Thought with each of these, I can't see the motive.

Had the Dermonds spoke of selling their place? Moving closer to kids, or maybe into a retirement facility? Had the children spoke to them about the Dermonds future, and what would happen if they could no longer live on their own? Did the Dermonds have insurance to pay if they needed a nursing home at some point? Who all came to see them for Easter?? Was there plans for the other children to come during Spring Break or this Summer? How often did they visit their kids, or the kids come visit them? I've no idea about grandkids ages, but were any graduating soon either from high school or college? If so, were the Dermonds planning to attend?

What do we really know about the Dermonds? Did they sell their assets to just family or to others as well? Other than playing bridge, what was Mrs. Dermond's others hobbies or likes? Mobility problems, was this from arthritis or some other condition? Did she take pain meds? Mr. Dermond, we know he use to play golf, and liked to go for walks. He had knee surgery, so did they cause any mobility problems for him? Was he taking pain meds? Were they content at this stage of their life? Did they enjoy the large home, or were they at a point of wanting to downsize? Did they have close friends nearby? Friends that the children would know their phone numbers? When was the last time the Dermonds spoke with their family?

I know we don't have answers to these questions, just brainstorming while I sit here thinking about the Dermonds, their family, and the loss they are experiencing this holiday weekend. The first holiday without their parents. :(

:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
True but I think the Dermonds loved their children very much and were close to them.

I read an article that said the reason they retired where they did was because it was a halfway point between their daughter who lives in NC and their sons who live in Florida.

HI OBE!
Respectfully what makes you think the D's are close to their family?
I haven't read anything that alluded to that. LOL NOT that I've read every article. TIA

I'm thinking overlapping fingerprints.
Did they find fingerprints that pointed to sharing a meal, or sitting down for coffee.
Did they find prints of perp on a set of Shirley's cards? Or on something that a stranger would have no reason to touch. Photograph album?
Microwave/oven buttons?

Did something point to the fact that the perp had visited before that day?

DNA from a fork or spoon?

All posts are my opinion only.
Sent via Tapatalk

I am still pretty well convinced that the perps never entered the house proper but admit to being very curious about the physical evidence he alluded to that has convinced him the Dermonds knew their killer

When did they last have roof repairs or replaced? Does the home have shingles? Termite inspection or treating? Who did their car maintenance? Did someone wash the windows for them? What about central air? Did they have it serviced?

Thought with each of these, I can't see the motive.

Had the Dermonds spoke of selling their place? Moving closer to kids, or maybe into a retirement facility? Had the children spoke to them about the Dermonds future, and what would happen if they could no longer live on their own? Did the Dermonds have insurance to pay if they needed a nursing home at some point? Who all came to see them for Easter?? Was there plans for the other children to come during Spring Break or this Summer? How often did they visit their kids, or the kids come visit them? I've no idea about grandkids ages, but were any graduating soon either from high school or college? If so, were the Dermonds planning to attend?

What do we really know about the Dermonds? Did they sell their assets to just family or to others as well? Other than playing bridge, what was Mrs. Dermond's others hobbies or likes? Mobility problems, was this from arthritis or some other condition? Did she take pain meds? Mr. Dermond, we know he use to play golf, and liked to go for walks. He had knee surgery, so did they cause any mobility problems for him? Was he taking pain meds? Were they content at this stage of their life? Did they enjoy the large home, or were they at a point of wanting to downsize? Did they have close friends nearby? Friends that the children would know their phone numbers? When was the last time the Dermonds spoke with their family?

I know we don't have answers to these questions, just brainstorming while I sit here thinking about the Dermonds, their family, and the loss they are experiencing this holiday weekend. The first holiday without their parents. :(

Awesome questions!!!

Hi all. Been following this case for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I can't stop thinking about this poor couple and a few things I'm not sure about. I hope I'm not breaking any of the rules.

1. How can LE be sure the house isn't the murder scene? Couldn't Mr. D have been struck in the house without leaving evidence? There's not necessarily blood when punched or hit with an object. Then he could have been dragged into the garage while unconscious or suffocated before the decapitation. Could suffocation or strangulation be determined from an autopsy without the head?

2. If the head is in the lake and weighted, would there ever be enough gasses created to make it rise to the surface? Do the gasses eventually dissipate enough that it would sink again or would it float forever? If it is near where Mrs. D's body was found, could it be tangled in the underwater brush and held there indefinitely?

3. I'm not sure I believe even the neatest people could keep a 3500sqft home immaculate without help. Even if they never used half the rooms in the house, dust still build up, toilets and bathtubs need to be scrubbed and mold grows easily here in the south. And living on a lake, I image there would be lots of bugs, spiderwebs and other pests. Plus the upkeep of the homes exterior, landscaping, heat/ac unit, chimney maintenance. That is A LOT of work for people nearing 90, even if in good health and mind.

4. Did they have any pets? Does the house have a basement? Has it been determined if the garage is attached to the house?

Just assuming (I know that's stupid), that the boat was paid for. It would be a source of entertainment when the families came to visit. Course I don't know what kind of boat it was. For all I know it was a canoe. jmo

IIRC, one of the articles said that the Dermond's owned a 23' fiberglass boat which they sold 2 years ago.

ETA:
Their 3,300-square-foot Eatonton home is valued at more than $1 million and sits on Lake Oconee, about 75 miles east of Atlanta. Russell Dermond has paid taxes on a 23-foot fiberglass boat, and he reportedly owned several fast-food outlets. Tax records connect him to a Wendy’s and a Chick-fil-A.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/05/08/georgia-elderly-man-decapitated-wife-missing-police-seek-clues/

:welcome: peppery!

Great first post and all great questions.

I think you are right about blunt force trauma not necessarily leaving a bloody mess where it occurred. I also agree that it could have gone down as you describe with the striking blows delivered in the house or just about anywhere and them not leaving a visible crime scene there.

I am not even sure a severed head would float up after being submerged. The human body fills with gases but I haven't seen any sort of decomp research on a submerged head without its body attached. So it may not even need to be weighted down to stay submerged if in the lake.

Look forward to reading more of your thoughts on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust