GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the D's still own franchises in BK and CF? there have been conflicting reports as to whether they had sold their ownership or still had interest in them? It was reported that Mr D had paid taxes on the boat that he sold but also to a BK and CF restaurants.

I understand that they had "retired" yet may still have ownership in them or carrying financing for the sale of them.

Many times these days seniors are retiring and selling assets and carrying the financing if they do not need the proceeds in full right away. By carrying some of the financing they can make more off their investment than money in the banks. Banks interest rates are so low that seller financing is more attractive financially to them.

Franchise agreements can be tricky but most involve more than one unit or restaurant. Having agreements with two chains would involve quite a substantial investment. And normally those agreements cover certain territorial markets for the units. IMO the sale of those would be substantial.

JMO's

I know the sons have several LLC's and I'm sure one buys from the other or sales to the other

His son stated something to the effect that RD and SD were retired and not rich or something

But other than the business stuff I understand that, can you spell it out better for a simple mind? If he had owner financed for someone, what does that do? His loan might be called due but unless it was willed to the buyer upon their death. THat's all I can get from that. Sorry if I sound ignorant LOL

"We have a recording device that we are afraid to tamper with and so we just gave it to them. They are going to pull the hard drive," he said.

Snipped from link
I didn't get who was saying this. Who is "we" and "them"

we is the PD and them is The FBI Ithink

"We have a recording device that we are afraid to tamper with and so we just gave it to them. They are going to pull the hard drive," he said.

Snipped from link

I think we is Sheriff's dept and they is FBI MOO

recording device - hard drive afraid to tamper with.

Makes me wonder if this is some surveillance system set up by private party (homeowner) to record video images/footage via a camera which sends the data to computer in the home. If the system has been placed by or was part of a security company's package or coverage then I would think LE would simply tell the company to extract and turn over the data. This implies IMO that this is someone's do it yourself security and that the sheriff dept was worried about screwing up the data and therefore has turned it over to the FB I as their resources are better suited for such work.

owe you a Coke tomkat

Do the D's still own franchises in BK and CF? there have been conflicting reports as to whether they had sold their ownership or still had interest in them? It was reported that Mr D had paid taxes on the boat that he sold but also to a BK and CF restaurants.

I understand that they had "retired" yet may still have ownership in them or carrying financing for the sale of them.

Many times these days seniors are retiring and selling assets and carrying the financing if they do not need the proceeds in full right away. By carrying some of the financing they can make more off their investment than money in the banks. Banks interest rates are so low that seller financing is more attractive financially to them.

Franchise agreements can be tricky but most involve more than one unit or restaurant. Having agreements with two chains would involve quite a substantial investment. And normally those agreements cover certain territorial markets for the units. IMO the sale of those would be substantial.

JMO's

I believe the sons sold their stake in Hardee's, Chicfila and now own a few First Watch franchises in Northern FL

I know the sons have several LLC's and I'm sure one buys from the other or sales to the other

His son stated something to the effect that RD and SD were retired and not rich or something

But other than the business stuff I understand that, can you spell it out better for a simple mind? If he had owner financed for someone, what does that do? His loan might be called due but unless it was willed to the buyer upon their death. THat's all I can get from that. Sorry if I sound ignorant LOL

No you are not ignorant by any means. I have been in F&B all my working life as well as accounting. Maybe I can say it better by example, as I have recently retired.

To even be able to get a franchise for a major label it is a significant investment up front. That not only for one location but a territory or "market"
If I had worked my life to build that "market" even with one "label", much less two and I were going to retire I could A) do a total all out sale or B) carry financing on part of it with the same interest that the bank would charge. If I take the money from the total sale and put it in the bank, they pay minimal interest rates.

As a franchisee the parent company will come in and do inspections to protect their "brand". Therefor my investment is "looked after" and I would get copies of financial reports as well. If the buyer did not or does not perform well in many areas it would be a problem.

Does that make any more sense? I know it rambles a bit.

JMO's

Snipped from link

WE; the Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy detectives...

Them; the FBI BAU Cyber Technicians....

This post ^^ is the most important post of all. This is where all the answers to this tragedy lie.

*If there was only 1 killer, it seems improbable that the removal of Mr. Dermond's head was to get rid of evidence. (Ballistic evidence, specifically).

*1 killer would most likely kill both victims with the same weapon, in the same way.

I don't see Mr. Dermond being shot and the perp throwing the gun away and then killing Mrs. Dermond via bludgeoning.

As far as decapitating Mr D because of potential DNA evidence, that doesn't fit either, IMO. Mrs. D would probably have the same DNA evidence and the killer(s) could have just dumped him in the lake as well.

I also agree with Oceanblueeyes regarding everything she head about it not being a professional hit. Nothing in this case fits with the MO of any professional 'hitters' that I have ever seen.

This case is making me :scared::banghead::scared:

I don't know if this has already been linked but anyway......lol It talks about the head of Russ being taken and what a former GBI investigator has to say about it. He agrees with Sills and so do I.

Rothwell says investigations don't work that way. They don't float theories and find evidence to support them. They work with what they have to create a timetable of events, and look into the background of the victim to find leads or a possible motive.

"Where you start is with what you have. And what you have are the victims and the crime scene. And with the victims, you develop their timeline and you develop the relationships that they may have had that might lead you to identify someone that had a motive to kill them. And then you see in the timeline intersects with that," Rothwell explains.

As for the beheading, Rothwell says if a killer is trying to make statement, the severed head would likely be at the crime scene. Since the head was missing, Rothewell says that could mean they were trying to get rid of evidence. He said if the head was meant to leave a message they would have left the head there displayed in some fashion.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...-investigator-discusses-dermond-case/9299499/

So residents in the neighborhood have been interviewed and given a 28 page questionnaire. What about the church that Mr and Mrs D attended? I noticed that it too is on the lake. Does anyone know what their services are like? In other words, do they have a communion service like the Catholic or Episcopal churches using a chalice? Do they have eucharistic ministers in addition to a priest/pastor?

Thinking back to BTK (Dennis Radar) and wondering what is the likelihood of the perp being a member of their church.

And thinking about a previous post about the murder weapon possibly being an object that would be noticed if missing... Could a chalice cup be used to beat someone in the head and kill them?

My husband tells me I think too much. He may be right.

I think we is Sheriff's dept and they is FBI MOO

recording device - hard drive afraid to tamper with.

Makes me wonder if this is some surveillance system set up by private party (homeowner) to record video images/footage via a camera which sends the data to computer in the home. .

snipped by me

Agree this is probably the case. One question for me would be that since it is in an exclusive area, would residents be DIY? On the other hand, one of my children living in a similar community did put this type in! We are DIY people.

Since this a small community, the murders are the talk of the area, would Sills want to tip the local security company by requesting a tape? All it takes is one tiny leak to blow a case?

One of you can help on this - a house that has security system with cameras and is monitored. You can pull the cameras up on TV screen or computer to monitor outside and scroll backwards also to review. Would there be a way for FBI to pull this information off instead of having the security company doing it? You know, the less people aware of what's going on the better? TIA

WSB news at 6:00 just had an interview with one of the FBI investigators - he made a statement that caught my ear - something along the lines that they had evidence that confirms this was very "personal"

Will try to find a video link and post later...

Possible new evidence recovered in Lake Oconee double murder mystery

http://www.cbs46.com/story/25580297...ecovered-in-lake-oconee-double-murder-mystery

Sills said the Dermond's children are expected in Eatonton today or Thursday. His office will interview them one more time then release their parent's home and bodies to them so they can make the funeral arrangements.

What a sad day for all of their families. I know they never dreamed they would be burying both of their parents at the same time but yet Russ and Shirley will be buried as they lived for 62 years...........always together.

May God be with all of the Dermond family as they continue to go through this most difficult time in their lives. :heart:

IMO

snipped by me

Agree this is probably the case. One question for me would be that since it is in an exclusive area, would residents be DIY? On the other hand, one of my children living in a similar community did put this type in! We are DIY people.

Since this a small community, the murders are the talk of the area, would Sills want to tip the local security company by requesting a tape? All it takes is one tiny leak to blow a case?

One of you can help on this - a house that has security system with cameras and is monitored. You can pull the cameras up on TV screen or computer to monitor outside and scroll backwards also to review. Would there be a way for FBI to pull this information off instead of having the security company doing it? You know, the less people aware of what's going on the better? TIA

Said they turned the "hard drive" over to them (FBI?)

he also called it a recording device, I wandered about it being an "audio only" so that a video cam or nanny cam wouldn't be seen

dont' know where it's linked back to but sounded like in was something that was insided the home instead of an internet video cam device where it's recorded and held elsewhere on a device ( or whatever they're called)

So residents in the neighborhood have been interviewed and given a 28 page questionnaire. What about the church that Mr and Mrs D attended? I noticed that it too is on the lake. Does anyone know what their services are like? In other words, do they have a communion service like the Catholic or Episcopal churches using a chalice? Do they have eucharistic ministers in addition to a priest/pastor?

Thinking back to BTK (Dennis Radar) and wondering what is the likelihood of the perp being a member of their church.

And thinking about a previous post about the murder weapon possibly being an object that would be noticed if missing... Could a chalice cup be used to beat someone in the head and kill them?

My husband tells me I think too much. He may be right.

No, your hubby isn't right.:) There is nothing better than keeping the brain active.:)

I do believe the weapon if identified would immediately link the killer. I have said I think the weapon used at the time has a uniqueness to it. If this bludgeoning object had been in this man's home.... lets say in his foyer for years..... then how can he possibly have it all of a sudden disappear? I think he may be pressured into keeping the weapon fearing people would know it is missing and start asking questions as to why it is all of a sudden missing now.

Now I have no doubt that if he did keep the weapon he has most likely boiled it several times trying to remove the blood from it and any traces of other DNA. If he kept it.... by now I think it is once again in its original place where it is usually displayed.

JMO

WSB - My notes. Not a transcript.

Within the hour, Sheriff Sills told Channel 2 that the family of the murdered couple could soon take possession of their house. Mark Winne reports that he believes the family could get possession of the house by the end of tonight. Mark Winne interviewed the agent in charge of the FBI in Georgia, Britt Johnson. Johnson says it is personal. There is a lot of indications of the psychology and the behavior behind that. He says it is not a random crime. Johnson put agents in Putnam County to investigate the murder at the request of Sheriff Sills. Johnson says they will be there as long as needed. Around 40 people from the FBI have been involved ranging from agents to evidence experts. Some involved a few hours, some involved for the duration thus far. FBI has brought the expertise of criminal profilers at its Behavioral Analysis Unit. They are trying to establish a profile and in addition they can go back and look against a database nationwide. From even tiny traces at the Great Waters subdivision where the Dermond's lived and elsewhere, the bureau's crime lab can do great things. If there are specific ropes or materials, they could identify the origin of manufacture or potentially where they had been purchased. There are ultra-sophisticated, high tech stuff that he can't let the bad guys know about. Some legal limitations on what kind of help the FBI can provide kicked in after the discovery of Shirley Dermond's body in Lake Oconee which meant the case was no longer a kidnapping investigation. However, Sheriff Sills request for FBI assistance means the agents still have a lot of latitude. Johnson says when they have something they can potentially solve that has very few leads, that's actually the one that inspires that fire in the belly of most. Johnson was asked why so much focus on one double murder case? Johnson suggested that part of it is the sheer brutality and the effect that it can have on a small community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x