GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep wondering why the timeline is so long. Friday after the mail to Saturday at the time of the derby party. If they were so religious about setting the alarm, they either set it around the usual time Friday night or they didn't. They either turned it off at usual Saturday morning time or they didn't. I'd venture a guess that their routines didn't vary too much and they weren't in the habit of going out in the middle of the night. I hope LO has narrowed it down more than a 24-36hour window. Unless they weren't that consistent on setting it and then I'd wonder why someone remarked that they were.

Who said they "might" have seen Mr. D walking on the golf course on Friday morning? There's gotta be cameras on the course. Would they be part of the surveillance system that was down?

BBM.
Friday, May 2: A resident reports seeing someone he thought was Russell Dermond walking on the neighborhood golf course, but says he is not sure.
Timeline: http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_d8154a8a-db9a-11e3-b822-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

I have usually agreed with SS throughout this case but on this one aspect, I don't.

I don't think anyone knows about these murders, but the killer himself, and yes, I believe it is only one killer.

Usually when more than one is involved that brings about even greater risks. It puts the potential of more evidence into the pot to be found and if arrested one of them at least is going to get a sweetheart plea deal to testify against the main one. In the Tokars and Sullivan cases the actual hit men got far better deals than the masterminds behind the plot.

I have often wondered in some of the cases where hit men were used do they blackmail the person who had hired them especially if the murder remains unsolved. What could they do about it? Go to the police?:floorlaugh:

I don't see this killer as someone who will confide in another about what he has done. He knows secrets and silence is golden.

And so far tragically it seems to be working in his favor.

IMO

I tend to think you are right and it was one person with a whole lot of planning.

With that said my hope is that somebody, anybody noticed something.

A parent, sibling, spouse, neighbor, coworker.

My fingers are crossed if they did indeed see anything from some strange character acting even stranger I hope they will do the right thing and at least talk to somebody to tell them what they saw, observed or know.

I am sure this Sheriffs office is overrun with lots of those taking up valuable time with nothings but it just takes that one something!

Who said they "might" have seen Mr. D walking on the golf course on Friday morning? There's gotta be cameras on the course. Would they be part of the surveillance system that was down?

Most golf courses in communities like GW restrict the time periods when non-playing residents are permitted to walk the course to either the early mornings or late afternoon/early evening so as to not interfere with the golfers' play. Mr. D lived closer to the front nine, but the back nine would probably allow walking later so long as only the first tee was being used to start the rounds. I would guess that tee times would start around 8:00, so either he was walking early or was walking the back nine Friday morning. Most morning walking times would coincide with when the grounds crew was on the course cutting grass, raking traps, blowing up gophers, etc. I suspect Sheriff Sills has talked to every member of the crew to see if any of them spotted him either Friday or Saturday mornings.

Not sure there would be cameras on the course. That is a lot of real estate to cover, and there really is not much to steal on a golf course.

I believe many of us on this thread have felt that motive could be financial. It's important for us to keep in mind the amount of time that it takes to do financial and accounting forensics. Following a money trail is time consuming to even establish the dots much less connect them. It takes subpoenas that have to have approvals and then serve them allowing time for compliance and so on.

Just like we have TOS rules here as to who we can "sleuth" LE I'm sure has more, without something besides a "hunch". I believe patience will be a virtue on this case.

JMO's

I think patience is about all 'we got' right now! This one is not going to be easy.

Sunday May 25, 2014
Asked about why the killings may have happened, he said the Dermonds “were probably targeted because of something that they had or something people thought they had. ... Or some sort of extortion that didn’t go through.”
Sills would not discuss specifics of what investigators have learned as they have combed the Dermonds’ financial records and background to sniff out potential motives.
But, he added, “it’s nothing random” as best he can tell for now.Source: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...-savage-killer

That BBM statement seems to say a lot! Must have a little something to go on!

I keep wondering why the timeline is so long. Friday after the mail to Saturday at the time of the derby party. If they were so religious about setting the alarm, they either set it around the usual time Friday night or they didn't. They either turned it off at usual Saturday morning time or they didn't. I'd venture a guess that their routines didn't vary too much and they weren't in the habit of going out in the middle of the night. I hope LO has narrowed it down more than a 24-36hour window. Unless they weren't that consistent on setting it and then I'd wonder why someone remarked that they were.

I keep wondering that too. Certainly Mr. D's stomach contents would give a much clearer idea of when and what he had eaten? Breakfast or.dinner? Was it digested or not.

I keep wondering that too. Certainly Mr. D's stomach contents would give a much clearer idea of when and what he had eaten? Breakfast or.dinner? Was it digested or not.

I think LE has answers to many of our questions, but are not releasing it yet. Why I don't know and I don't want to speculate. Just wish they would tell us something. jmo

Sunday May 25, 2014
Asked about why the killings may have happened, he said the Dermonds “were probably targeted because of something that they had or something people thought they had. ... Or some sort of extortion that didn’t go through.”
Sills would not discuss specifics of what investigators have learned as they have combed the Dermonds’ financial records and background to sniff out potential motives.
But, he added, “it’s nothing random” as best he can tell for now.Source: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...-savage-killer

That BBM statement seems to say a lot! Must have a little something to go on!

to me it says we don't want a public panic and our phones blown up 24/7 by well heeled residents asking what are we doing about this and how are they to feel safe. Shrug

Why would the Dermond's be targeted by a cult?

Easy defenseless prey, private cul-de-sac lakefront lot with thick foliage, and few neighbors. To send a message; make a statement..
Retribution against Sheriff Howard Sills, and the Putnam County Justice System without directly implicating themselves..while causing terror among the many retirees living in RP/GW and the entire PC community.. jmo

Easy defenseless prey, private cul-de-sac lakefront lot with thick foliage, and few neighbors. To send a message; make a statement..
Retribution against Sheriff Howard Sills, and the Putnam County Justice System without directly implicating themselves..while causing terror among the many retirees living in RP/GW and the entire PC community.. jmo

Any idea who they are sending a message to. ty

Any idea who they are sending a message to. ty

See BBM above, mck16...

See BBM above, mck16...

But, Putnam County is 360 square miles. Why two elderly people in such a large area. Do you think they knew them? Surely not just to get back at Sills. ty

I also am wondering if a cult or mafia or terrorists, why hasn't there been any demands or anyone taking credit for this? What was their purpose? Why is it so quiet? ty

That photo prompted another idea...that looks likes an area which could *possibly* be a no wake zone? I didn't realize that the channel was so narrow where they lived. Perhaps they yelled at folks who came by to slow down, and they were upset?

Thanks for the photo, I had never seen that one before.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/14/article-0-1DAD954300000578-436_634x421.jpg

You're most welcome! We live on a dirt road and we had a neighbor who would go all kinds of crazy if someone drove past her house driving too fast. She'd be yelling and screaming "Slow your arse down! Explicative! Explicative! Explicative! So yeah, maybe Mr. Dermond was scared if somebody drove too fast through there and pizzed off the hot rodder or boater!

still stuck on random unexpected by perp(s) encounter which necessitated getting rid of the Dermonds. Something they knew, saw or might have known saw.

This crime makes no sense becuase IMO it was not professional. I think the placing of Mrs. D where she was, so distant from the scene of encounter and killing was one part panic "what was that noise, did you hear that??? Someones coming, hurry up back to the boat!" "What about her???" "no time, take her with along with this (head) well get rid of them on the way! Hurry"

and one part buying of time "maybe they will think she is kidnapped and spend days waiting for ransom call"

TRUE THAT, they are certainly capable of such a horrendous act ! BUt yeah, have to find the motive for this or anything, RIGHT WHERE THIS Case is, finding motive or leads

another thing on MY mind is I'm wondering what all is in a revocable trust they D's may have, does it ahve to be just property and do they own OTHER property and can it include bonds, stocks, cash etc

We dont' know what they own but if it can be passed down without any inheritance tax ramificiations then if one of the spouses dies, it automatically goes to the other adn they can add to it from what i'm reading and if BOTH the partners/trustees die, then it goes to the heirs next in line without tax ramifications, not sure about if the heirs sell it, in regards to capital gains, if any or not

That "GIFT" got me to thinking on this and why gift yourself something, for those that read and replied to my inquiry earlier in this thread

I hope there is SOMETHING found SOON that gives Sills a more direct and definite lead to the POI !

I don't claim to be an estate planning attorney, but I work with them. Tax laws were different in the 1990's than now, and revocable lifetime trusts were much more popular. You can put any property you want in them, real estate, cars, stocks, bonds, goats, etc. You just have to be sure to title them in the name of the trust.

For some general info, see http://fiduciarytrust.com/news/trust-and-tax-perspectives/revocable-trusts.html

I still feel the original makeshift hurried plan was get both bodies (complete with Mr. D head) out of site (garage) and then in a panic, perp changed stream suddenly due ot some outside threat or perceived threat.

car or boat engine approaching.

You're most welcome! We live on a dirt road and we had a neighborhood who would go all kinds of crazy if someone drove past her house driving too fast. She'd be yelling and screaming "Slow your arse down! Explicative! Explicative! Explicative! So yeah, maybe Mr. Dermond was scared if somebody drove too fast through there and pizzed off the hot rodder or boater!

As I have stated before, I live on a dirt road. Sand mostly. I cannot stand for anyone, grandchildren included to ride up and down the rode so fast just spreading dust. After 1 and 1/2 years I have made believers out of them. The noise, and the dirt drive me crazy, but most of all the disrespect is intolerable. And I don't care who they are. jmo

I don't claim to be an estate planning attorney, but I work with them. Tax laws were different in the 1990's than now, and revocable lifetime trusts were much more popular. You can put any property you want in them, real estate, cars, stocks, bonds, goats, etc. You just have to be sure to title them in the name of the trust.

For some general info, see http://fiduciarytrust.com/news/trust-and-tax-perspectives/revocable-trusts.html

yep. Life insurance proceeds, bank accounts, stocks etc can all be titled in to the name of a trust therefore assisting in avoiding lengthy probate for some.

Jurisdictions have varied dollar amount maximums beyond which things owned by the individual decedents estates would need probated. If kept under the minimum then things can be distributed much more quickly than via the probate process allows for. (here six months is the quickest you can wrap up a probate and some that involve larger estates go on for years and years and years - generations even).

Plus if an estate is probated, it is easy for other interested parties to object or try to fight for more than is stated in the will.

Whereas if most assets are kept in the trust and quarterly, annual or entire distributions are called for depending on the trust's structure. Then there is really very little to argue about. Plus the trust can contain specific language barring objections or claims beyond what is stated thereby take what you were given or lose all of it you are written out completely.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member