GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM area of focus:
From yesterday's channel 2 report: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/donations-increase-reward-reynolds-plantation-murd/ngDFK/
"Sills said most killings involve some kind of criminal activity but it doesn't appear that's the case in the Dermond murder."
So the killer had one mission and only one mission. I am going back to my theory that someone was paid to kill them.

Sills is saying there does not appear to be some kind of criminal activity in Dermond case. Would not a hired killing or paid for killing be a criminal activity? Help me see the distinction.

Here's the video I saw on WSB, Suthrnqt.
Thought I was never going to find it, lol. :banghead:
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/putnam-sheriff-offers-reward-in-reynolds/vCcwYg/
Maybe stuff like wills, phone recoords or contracts?
Subpoenas are also used to get documents from banks, hospitals, creditors, phone records, etc.. Most entities require a subpoena before releasing non-public information.

In addition, subpoenas can be for cell tower pings, video recordings, medical providers, and the like.

The 20 Thousand previously might be a separate entity, perhaps?
"After searches on land and water came up empty, the FBI announced it is offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to Dermond’s recovery."
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/decapitation-mystery-reward-offered-for-missing-ea/nfwqX/IMOO.

I'm thinking the 20K from FBI for info leading to D's recovery, is already committed. Although that has not been confirmed or there may be small print where it will not be paid, or the finder could "pass" on the reward.

Not if she's crazy too. Hopefully she has no conscious though, so she WILL rat out the perp!

Wonder what your thoughts are on why LE has some idea who did this. Seems they said they had no leads...............

gotta update my signature >

I'm positive they have no leads, I'm a pessimist! :floorlaugh:

God knows I hope and wish they did !

I just tend to believe that what some LE say isn't always the truth.

I just tend to believe that what some LE say isn't always the truth.

If I could make a bet on it, I would.... that LE is using psychological strategies as well as keeping a lot of information close to the vest at this time. It is my thinking, LE has some ideas but not enough to make the arrest at this time.

One additional thing from listening to the WSB report link above. The reporter said something like.... "someone broke into the home and killed the Dermonds". I thought initial reports were that there did not appear to be forced entry. Hummm. It could have been just the reporter using his own words. Has anyone else read/heard there was evidence that the perp "broke into the home"?

From FindLaw.com.
"A subpoena (pronounced "suh-pee-nuh") is a request for the production of documents, or a request to appear in court or other legal proceeding. It is court-ordered command that essentially requires you to do something, such as testify or present information that may help support the facts that are at issue in a pending case. The term "subpoena" literally means "under penalty". A person who receives a subpoena but does not comply with its terms may be subject to civil or criminal penalties, such as fines, jail time, or both.

There are two types of subpoenas. The first, called subpoena ad testificandum (pronounced "ad test- te-fi-kan-dum"), requires you to testify before a court, or other legal authority. The second, called subpoena duces tecum (pronounced "doo-seez tee-*advertiser censored*"), requires you to produce documents, materials, or other tangible evidence. A subpoena may be requested in any kind of matter, but the most common requests are from divorce, child custody, personal injury, and sex offender cases.

What Are Subpoenas Used For?

Under state and federal civil or criminal procedural laws, subpoenas offer attorneys a chance to obtain information to help prove or disprove their client's case. Criminal attorneys, for example, often use subpoenas to obtain "witness" or lay opinion testimony from a third party that may lead to someone's guilt or innocence at trial. Similarly, civil attorneys often subpoena individuals to obtain information that may help settle someone's claim. For example, an attorney representing a spouse in a child custody hearing might issue a subpoena to the other spouse to appear in court to determine joint custody arrangements.

Other examples of subpoenas may include requests for:

Blood test information;
DNA samples;
Computer files and downloaded material (such as in a child *advertiser censored* case, for example);
Medical bills & insurance records;
Income tax returns;
Photographs, graphs, & charts; and
Employee records.
- See more at: http://litigation.findlaw.com/going-to-court/what-is-a-subpoena.html#sthash.g3N1VHy4.dpuf"

Mark Winne - WSB:

Winne went out on the Sheriff's boat. They were feet from the Dermond's dock and the crime scene where apparently investigators recovered some potentially useful evidence over the past several weeks.

Sills says they have fingerprints, hair, fibers; all matter of forensic evidence collected from the house. Sills is asked if he has other things that he can't talk about and he answers, "Sure, sure I do." He is then asked if they are potentially the most significant. He answers, "Uh, I think so."

Report continues:
Physical evidence points to a strong likelihood that the Dermonds died in different ways. That the killer used a different kind of weapon to kill Russell Dermond than to kill Shirley Dermond. Sills does not believe they were killed with the same weapon but will not elaborate on what the weapons were. They are still running down leads, even today. Sills does not believe the killer planned for Shirley Dermond's body to be found. He thinks it could have been to distract LE - whether to lead them to believe she was a suspect or to suspect she had been abducted. Investigators were back at the home just before the interview with Mark Winne. Winne says it is very possible that WSB got this extraordinary access today, at least in part, because the sheriff wants to get the word out about the new reward fund which the sheriff expects to grow rapidly this week.

My Summary - Not Verbatim

Just checking in - good thoughts going on here! Just hearing Sills say subpoena made my heart zing....you have to be going after something there, doncha think? I didn't hear the "someone broke into the Dermond's home", though. I never thought that was the case, I thought everything happened outside (or maybe just in my mind).

Mark Winne - WSB:

Winne went out on the Sheriff's boat. They were feet from the Dermond's dock and the crime scene where apparently investigators recovered some potentially useful evidence over the past several weeks.

Sills says they have fingerprints, hair, fibers; all matter of forensic evidence collected from the house. Sills is asked if he has other things that he can't talk about and he answers, "Sure, sure I do." He is then asked if they are potentially the most significant. He answers, "Uh, I think so."

Report continues:
Physical evidence points to a strong likelihood that the Dermonds died in different ways. That the killer used a different kind of weapon to kill Russell Dermond than to kill Shirley Dermond. Sills does not believe they were killed with the same weapon but will not elaborate on what the weapons were. They are still running down leads, even today. Sills does not believe the killer planned for Shirley Dermond's body to be found. He thinks it could have been to distract LE - whether to lead them to believe she was a suspect or to suspect she had been abducted. Investigators were back at the home just before the interview with Mark Winne. Winne says it is very possible that WSB got this extraordinary access today, at least in part, because the sheriff wants to get the word out about the new reward fund which the sheriff expects to grow rapidly this week.

The interview is now online .
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw-video-sheriff-discusses-reynolds-plantation/vCcz4n/

darn getting a video not available at this time msg from the linked raw video. Maybe it will be back up later. Sounds like it is not one to be missed.

darn getting a video not available at this time msg from the linked raw video. Maybe it will be back up later. Sounds like it is not one to be missed.

I did not have any problems just now.

Mark Winne - WSB:

Report continues:

Excellent summation CarolinaPeach! I knew when they couldn't find Mrs. D they could not rule her out as a suspect. Just felt it in my gut. Mark Furhman commented on the case and he said they might not be saying it publicly, but until she was found she could not be ruled out.

I don't know if the killer planned for her NOT to be found. Looks like he would have dumped her body elsewhere..... UNLESS he lives at GW. I thought he might have had at least 48 hours lead, but maybe not. Maybe he did plan to completely dismember Mr. D's body and when the friends showed up at the house to check on the Dermonds for not showing up for the Derby party he high-tailed it out of the house.

Good shot of the back of the house and the front of the house too and whomever's pier is closest to the Dermonds. Looks like they have been cutting trees with trunks bigger than 6 inches. Nice big open back yard compared to the Dermonds. Within earshot of hearing something that might have went on too.

I really like Sheriff Sills. He seems like a straight shooter to me. I like the way he talks. :loveyou:

Maybe the killer planned to dismember both bodies and found out the hard way that it wasn't going to be easy. Gave up after just cutting Mr. Dermond's head off, the neighbors showed up looking for the Dermonds. Killer says "efff it!" Takes Mr. D's head and Mrs. D's body and leaves. Gosh everybody (the neighbors) would have known if the Dermonds had a boat or not and it seems like their suspicion would have been raised had they heard a boat coming in there to the Dermonds' pier. Trolling motor maybe not.

If Sheriff Sills doesn't think the killer expected Mrs. D's body to be found, did he expect that the killer wanted Mr. D's body to be found?

Was the Derby Party within GW or elsewhere? Could it have been right up the road or somewhere else within GW?

Sheriff Sills describing the killer or killers as hoodlums doesn't exactly bring to mind a clean crime scene. Sounds as if they do know where the actual crime scene is located. They have hair and fibers, and are waiting on financial records and documents. I just believe that Mr. Dermond was discovered before Tuesday, but it just wasn't leaked to the press until Tuesday when Mrs. Dermond's bridge partner showed up to pick her up. LE could have come in by boat real quiet-like to the back of the house when they were alerted the Dermonds did not show up at the party.

I think that would bring it up to $63,000.

No millionaire is gonna speak up if they haven't already...
Sounds like he is taking to young people, maybe?
College age? Who knows!

"This is in addition to the $20,000 offered by the FBI in connection with the case, bringing the total to $50,000."
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/06/03/reward-fund-dermond-murder-lake-oconee/9925577/

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

You know what....63 thousand isn't much.....
And now I am DISGUSTED at the fact that in my state of Colorado a grandson murdered his grandparents for a total of 67 thousand dollars....yeah, that's right, 67 thousand. The house in Sterling is worth 47 thousand and they had 20 thousand in the bank. There's a thread for Shirley Severance right here on Websleuths.
Just to qualify, I am not speaking in context of the Dermond's family at all,
although Shirley Severance was 70 years old.....I am speaking in context to the fact that they did horrific things to Shirley Severance and her husband, all for 67 thousand dollars, so maybe a reward of 63 thousand will get HOODLUMS to talk after all, in the Dermond case.
IMOO.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-teens-who-killed-grandparents-wanted-money

You know what....63 thousand isn't much.....
And now I am DISGUSTED at the fact that in my state of Colorado a grandson murdered his grandparents for a total of 67 thousand dollars....yeah, that's right, 67 thousand. The house in Sterling is worth 47 thousand and they had 20 thousand in the bank. There's a thread for Shirley Severance right here on Websleuths.
Just to qualify, I am not speaking in context of the Dermond's family at all,
although Shirley Severance was 70 years old.....I am speaking in context to the fact that they did horrific things to Shirley Severance and her husband, all for 67 thousand dollars, so maybe a reward of 63 thousand will get HOODLUMS to talk after all.
IMOO.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-teens-who-killed-grandparents-wanted-money

Amen!

Excellent summation CarolinaPeach! I knew when they couldn't find Mrs. D they could not rule her out as a suspect. Just felt it in my gut. Mark Furhman commented on the case and he said they might not be saying it publicly, but until she was found she could not be ruled out.

I don't know if the killer planned for her NOT to be found. Looks like he would have dumped her body elsewhere..... UNLESS he lives at GW. I thought he might have had at least 48 hours lead, but maybe not. Maybe he did plan to completely dismember Mr. D's body and when the friends showed up at the house to check on the Dermonds for not showing up for the Derby party he high-tailed it out of the house.

Good shot of the back of the house and the front of the house too and whomever's pier is closest to the Dermonds. Looks like they have been cutting trees with trunks bigger than 6 inches. Nice big open back yard compared to the Dermonds. Within earshot of hearing something that might have went on too.

I really like Sheriff Sills. He seems like a straight shooter to me. I like the way he talks. :loveyou:

But nobody did check on them for missing the Derby party....until the following Tuesday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bucky357