GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone who is in possession of the Will of an individual who has died, must bring the Will to the Probate Court for filing. The Will is probated in the Probate Court in the county where the deceased established residency.

in my experience, once the will has been filed with the court it is a public record. I file wills and open probates all the time. That court file can be viewed by anyone who requests it and copies can be purchased. The only time a court document is not available to the public IME is if it is under seal. An act which requires an order from a judge.

Yes, that is the way it was for me at least. My father's Will remained private and nothing was disclosed before then... even though he had given it to the Probate Judge to hold. It remained locked up in the safe in the Judge's office until the time of his death and the Will was used to open his Estate at that time.

I have never had any reason to even look at the Will on line since my father had made sure I had a copy of the original and told me who had possession of the original Will so that I could open his Estate when he passed away.

IMO

Maybe Mr. And Mrs. D. We're just coming home and we're surprised by this perp.
The perp wants access to the house and the safe Mr.d won't open the door or give them the code to the alarm in a rage they kill them.

usually when someone already has a trust they want to title a propetry into they simply buy it as that trust. This makes me wonder if he bought the place, the trust was created to hold assets and so he then gifted it to the trust (himself trustee) to avoid some sort of tax penalty.

I am the trustee of my LLC, but the property is in my personal name and was that way when I opened the LLC, but the taxes flow thru me to the LLC or visa versa

So I could deed something to myself as a "gift" still in my name to remove it from the LLC or trust? Even tho I'm still the trustee of that LLC ?

So the "gift" title is the way to remove it from the LLC?

I know if it's a "GIFT" then there is no repayment required and it helps with a loan if you need to qualify, ok, so he put it IN or took it OUT of a trust, of which he is the trustee, gifting it, so there is no..........wait, that would cause a 100% capital gain when sold

I dont' get it clearly LOL

rsbm: and herein lies the problem in narrowing down people who know that lake. It is obvious (to me), that POI knows that lake, knows the area, and was a confident boater. The mix of transplants. drive in frequent boaters, and locals is huge up there, just about 80 miles from Atlanta.

I live on a river in S Ga, and it is blantantly obvious when someone does not know the river, the roads, or generally how things are done around here.

We "wave" down here; the response / look on their faces, or complete lack of response is a dead give away too

Yeah we don't even wave where I live anymore, people think you're crazy! LOL

I think around Douglas it's a little more friendly, I'm between Macon and WR, not so, Putnam, a little more friendly but GW, melting pot I would imagine

But you are correct in that, people from all over who KNOW that LAKE

I would have to see the deed, but a guess would be that he gifted to himself as trustee of a revokable trust. That way the property bypasses probate at the time of his death and goes straight to the beneficiaries of the trust. Can also save on estate taxes, which were a bigger concern in 1994 than today. Not an unusual step for someone with the ability to own a $1,000,000 home.

to the beneficiary without probate........

Cherry---I'm still with you on this one!!! Why, would a family member suggest that LE look to the Nuwabian cult for a POI??? :twocents:

IMHO

For clarity, I dont' think the son said NUWABIAN CULT, just CULT

BUT, that is the big cult that came in

I dont' know why someone would say such a thing unless, IT"S TRUE or unless they are trying to LEAD or DIVERT the investigation away from themselves??

Honeybun1807, I honor and respect your opinion but disagree. The GBI
of today is not the same organization that it was a decade ago. I follow cases that they investigate very closely and have been very critical of the GBI in the past.
In the past few years, I have been very impressed with their professionalism and closure rate in investigations. Actually, much more impressed with them than the FBI's performance as of late..

The experienced and well trained GBI Special Agents are much more familiar with the GA culture, crime/criminal activity, etc., than the FBI, imo. This insight is very important and could make the difference in a solved case or a cold case, imo.

The Jorelys Rivera murder investigation by the GBI changed my view and sealed the deal for me..

(Read page 3 of the Canton PD's response before the GBI's arrival)

http://archive.org/stream/284469-in...ion-report-the-jorelys-rivera-murder_djvu.txt

Hummm then I wonder why Sills isn't using them? I had my mind up that 'they did him wrong once' and he was not having it again.

But since it all changed why wouldn't the good sheriff use them?

I am now...confused and if I lived in Georgia I would have to ask that question at the next press conference.

TIA

One more thing I was thinking about after I posted the above.

Do otherCounty Sheriff's use the GBI in their investigations?

Most do_____
Some do_____
Most don't they use FBI_____

Just wondering about all of this. TIA...again!

Response to honeybun. No. not from her own dock.

Attn middle GA posters: I started a thread in "Crimes " about the officer who was killed today in Griffin.

where was she? who's home? was she showing a property? thanks

Thought I rememrbered that it was reported her fmaily foudn her on their way over, presumed by boat because of where she was found and that statement

Thought I rememrbered that it was reported her fmaily foudn her on their way over, presumed by boat because of where she was found and that statement

Just to back it up a bit I was referring to Mrs. D being pushed, shoved from her dock...not the realtor. Perhaps the killer didn't use a boat or car at all.

Re the realtor I thought maybe she was on her dock waiting for somebody to pick her up for a boat ride or maybe lunch.

ANd Bootsctr, the fact is, no body KNOWS ANYTHING really

SO, it could be ANYTHING

The fact is, there is some crazy dung flying around this town

Could be simply a serial killer, WHO KNOWS at this point, who can say ANTHING for sure

I find it interesting the timeline, the cult purchase/dermond purchase, the death of son, the move of Dermonds at or near his TOD, not attending sons trial, left ATL,

DIDN"T WE READ that RD did NOT play golf? Or was that just recent that he hasn't been? started to say after 20 years in their chatahoochee home they may have decided it was time to play golf, at 74? or was that a golf community too

Maybe he just retired the reason he came to GW, maybe they got flack from the neighbors about their son, maybe he lived with them, they had purchased their lot in GW 1994, before the son was murdered, but when did they BUILD? 2000 or 2001? sold in fulton 1999? Son was in ATL, FULTON county GA

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-supreme-court/1185576.html

would like to know WHO all these people are that were involved in this drug transaction and where they are now

Just trying to find or rule out ANY connections, IF ANY

Thanks TK! :seeya: This would have made a perfect 48 hours episode IMO just because it was done in front of so many witnesses:

"In the light most favorable to the verdict, the record shows that, on the evening of August 30, 2000, Mark Dermond and Grady Harris drove to the Neal Street area of Atlanta to purchase drugs.   Paula Heard immediately approached Dermond's car and asked him to buy a rock of crack cocaine for her.   Walter Thomas Martin then approached the car to sell the drugs to Dermond.   At that time, Major and his co-defendant, Cedric Mansa, approached the vehicle.   Major walked to the driver's side of the car where Dermond was sitting, demanded his money, and shot him multiple times.   Later, Martin testified that he had observed Major carrying a gun, and both Heard and Mansa identified Major as the shooter.   Dermond died as a result of gunshot wounds, and Harris was injured."

So, when it says Major walked to the driver's side of the car where Dermond was sitting, demanded "HIS" money, does that mean Mark's money or money that Mark owed Troy Major from a previous drug transaction and highly po'd to see Dermond back in his hood buying drugs from another dealer when Mark had never paid Troy Major for the previous drugs?

I think Mark had gotten drugs from Troy Major prior and never paid him for said drugs and when Major demanded "HIS" money, it was literal. Maybe?

Wonder where Grady Harris is now?

I'd have to go back and reread but I thought the family found her in the water, near her dock, while police were on the way over.

BBM
unless the head has been preserved in a freezer?

Canaille, you do have a point and valid possibility on a reason how more than a scull could show up.

BBM
Except they're not true southerners. They lived in jersey for how long? Majority of their lives? I'll have to go back and check. But I grew up not far from there and been in GA more than 12 years myself and I've not adopted the southern way of life at all. It's all still very foreign to me.

Bless you heart Peppery, keep on trying. You'll like it when you get there. :seeya:

Portion snipped and BBM
I can't find her age and I don't think that case is at all like the Dermond case. He was the neighborhood peeping tom who should have been put away much earlier.
On the subject of elderly abuse that most often happens in nursing homes with a lot of dementia. ....... Pardon my French but this one is a real *advertiser censored* scratcher!

Snipped and BBM
Honeybun1807. many, if not most sexual predators begin with fantasy and escalate to peeping toms..and yes, most should have been put away long before escalating to dark reality.

Yes, most elderly sexual abuse occurs in nursing homes, as does necrophilia often occur in morgues and funeral homes( a little known phenomenon/seldom reported). This is what I refer too as the fox in the chicken house theory.. Where is the fox gonna likely hunt their prey?

Just needed to respond to your statements on elder abuse in NHs. It is not accurate that the most happens in NHs. While those cases are often in the media, the majority of elder abuse happens in the community with elders alone in own homes or with relatives. This is my area of expertise so i felt the need to offer input. There have been some twisted cases in GA through the years; however the majority have not been prosecuted.
Several years back, 90s I think it was, had this case. Down in south GA, Paw was a crusty old coot, mean and ornery. He turned up missing.... for some time. Low and behold he was found... kids had ended the misery and he was buried in the tomato patch in the back yard.

Snipped and BBM
I keep thinking of Austin Sigg and this new kid out in CA, Elliot Rodger . Then I remember Gardner and how he killed Amber and Chelsea.

My profile would be;

17 - 30 years old
Male
Well off thanks to parents
Parents that travel
Alone a lot
Internet friends
Loves internet games
Highly intelligent
Cunning

Honeybun - This profile works for me also.

Snipped & BBM
I live in south Georgia too, mom, and we do say 'y'all' all the time. .... But I am not stupid. I do know that crime can happen anywhere no matter how peaceful the area someone lives in nowadays. So I am way more cautious now and don't open my door to strangers.
However if I am outside in my yard working in my flowerbeds and someone stops by asking me either for directions or is wanting to compliment me on my landscaping or is inquiring about a particular flower they have seen in my yard then of course I am very gracious, friendly, and accommodating.

And usually my 38 is within a few feet. :seeya:

From a 100% drawl talking southern fried GA native.

BBM

Umm, what??????

Yes, Peppery, you heard correctly! Sheriff Sills has had his throat cut, his *advertiser censored* whipped, he's been shot and he's been drug by a vehicle. This is one tough man!

Also snipped from the article about the cult leader:

"There's little doubt about one thing: Dwight York, a former Black Panther who would go by a whole roster of names in the course of his life, had big plans.

As his son, Jacob, put it: "He's in the dictionary under audacity."

"The trouble started innocuously enough. On a warm spring day in 1997, J.D. "Dizzy" Adams, Putnam County's building inspector, drove his truck out to Shady Dale Road to inspect the pyramids and housing units cropping up on Dwight York's land.

But when he got to the gate, armed Nuwaubian guards denied him entry. "They won't let me in," he reported to Putnam's brand-new sheriff, Howard Sills.

"That was the first real sign of trouble," says Sills. A stocky, chain-smoking lawman with a bushy blond mustache, Sills was elected sheriff three years after the cowboys landed in Putnam.

To an overwhelming majority of both black and white residents, his no-nonsense attitude made him just the man to clean up an inept and corrupt department. (His predecessor subsequently served time for theft of government funds.)

"There was no law enforcement in Putnam County until we elected somebody honest," says Sandra Adams, a black county commissioner who also took office in 1997."

http://www.splcenter.org/get-inform...s/2002/fall/savior-in-a-strange-land?page=0,1

"York took on a dizzying series of new identities — among them, grand potentate of an international Shriners group.

According to Jacob, York had once confided, "I'd be a Jew if that's what it took to make a buck."

Now, in addition to his other titles, the Nuwaubians were calling him Rabbi York and announcing the opening of the Holy Seed Synagogue in Macon."

http://www.splcenter.org/get-inform...s/2002/fall/savior-in-a-strange-land?page=0,3

How'd you git that Harley up on the high dive anyway Coy?

http://youtu.be/J0pB-ZV78kY

.38 is what I carry too. Got my license with a .9 mm semi-automatic so I can carry both.

I had asked in an earlier thread and don't think it was responded to. Does anyone locally know if GA is a state where a will, once filed in probate is considered public document. If so has it been filed?

Has Mr. D's CPA been debriefed on any accounts receivable on loans and previous sales of assets? The sale of the boat, when and was there a lien or how is it titled now?

JMO's

If the Dermonds had a trust, and it sounds as though they did by the gifting of the land, then their estate won't be subject to probate.

The trust usually spells out exactly the chain of ownership of the trust such as if RD dies, the whole of the trust falls to SD and the other way around. If and when both RD and SD are gone, the trust most likely would be evenly distributed between their children, grandchildren, or donated to charity.

Thanks TK! :seeya: This would have made a perfect 48 hours episode IMO just because it was done in front of so many witnesses:

"In the light most favorable to the verdict, the record shows that, on the evening of August 30, 2000, Mark Dermond and Grady Harris drove to the Neal Street area of Atlanta to purchase drugs.   Paula Heard immediately approached Dermond's car and asked him to buy a rock of crack cocaine for her.   Walter Thomas Martin then approached the car to sell the drugs to Dermond.   At that time, Major and his co-defendant, Cedric Mansa, approached the vehicle.   Major walked to the driver's side of the car where Dermond was sitting, demanded his money, and shot him multiple times.   Later, Martin testified that he had observed Major carrying a gun, and both Heard and Mansa identified Major as the shooter.   Dermond died as a result of gunshot wounds, and Harris was injured."

So, when it says Major walked to the driver's side of the car where Dermond was sitting, demanded "HIS" money, does that mean Mark's money or money that Mark owed Troy Major from a previous drug transaction and highly po'd to see Dermond back in his hood buying drugs from another dealer when Mark had never paid Troy Major for the previous drugs?

I think Mark had gotten drugs from Troy Major prior and never paid him for said drugs and when Major demanded "HIS" money, it was literal. Maybe?

Wonder where Grady Harris is now?

right !?

looks like Mark lived on -----Trce atlanta AND in jacksonville fl rte 28

according to spokeo.com

VERY interesting!

I wonder where they ALL are now...........

NOW, back to the nuwabians! :floorlaugh:

right !?

looks like Mark lived on -----Trce atlanta AND in jacksonville fl rte 28

according to spokeo.com

VERY interesting!

I wonder where they ALL are now...........

NOW, back to the nuwabians! :floorlaugh:

The nuwabians are quite interesting. I am shocked that York had so many people in high places think he was so good. Was he buying them with money or what was his draw.

Since we seem to be going in circles I would love to read a good book about their rise to power.

Anybody have a suggestion for a great read? Not a good read...a great read.
Surely in all this time books have been written about this rise and fall from power of York.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member