GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the possibility that the phone call that Sills got was that there was a possible partial DNA match to someone that was the system. Like they did in the Grim Sleeper case in LA Calif. son to the perp was in the system.

Hey Boots do you live in a different country than the US? because Fathers day isn't until the 15th here in the US.

Nope, almost, just Texas. Sorry looking at my calendar wrong! My bad. Gosh still. Dates all so close. Thanks for catching that for me Jo in California. OMG! Are you rooting for California Chrome?

This is OT but it made me think of it when you posted this.

Last week in a town/county that surrounds ours 4 very influential people were arrested for illegal gambling. One was a retired Judge, one a very high profile business owner, one was a doctor, and the other one was just as successful and all of them are very well known.

When LE burst in to do the bust there was $20,000 cash in the pot laying on the table for one hand of poker.

Now the DA is scrambling trying to find a Judge that can preside over the cases since all the Judges in that town are friends, ex coworkers, with the defendants. lol I imagine they will have to ship in another Judge in a nearby county to preside over the cases.

IMO

Sounds like these guys were just having a good old men's night poker game! Were they in public or one of there homes?

Maybe I missed something - if they are playing in a home, they were all there by their own choice, who and why was the police called? Yes, the stakes were high, but again they each knew it and were in on it and you can bet it wasn't the first time. I don't get it. :banghead:

Lots of gambling does go on. At the country club we belonged to in Dallas there were always poker games going on in the men's locker room after a day of golfing. One night 3 masked men broke in. There was over 100.000.00 on the table. They also made the men take off their clothes and line up in front of the lockers. Their jewelry, and wallets were all taken. While they were lined up with facing the lockers gun fire broke out. They all thought they were being shot one by one, but as it turned out the police had arrived on the scene. One robber was shot in the hallway and one on the 18th green. One got away. Very prominent citizens were in on the game, but that night they were just glad they were alive. People in Dallas still talk about it and the games continued to take place. Money, money money. jmo

When these four were arrested the majority of commenters on FB from the area thought it was ridiculous and I agree with them. You would have to know this particular county. They have a multitude of violent crimes for gangs, drugs, armed robberies, and homicides. In fact 2-3 years back they were rated 48th in the nation of most violent cities due to homicides. The violent crimes continue to escalate. A couple of decades ago they even made the number one spot ranking in the nation as the city with the most homicides per capita.

We all agreed that much more effort needs to be spent on getting the violent offenders off of the street rather than arresting four men who were bothering no one and playing with their own money.

But you see its okie dokie to gamble in Georgia.. they spend millions to promote it, but the government wants to make sure all the money is spent on their own government run lottery.

IMO

Sounds like these guys were just having a good old men's night poker game! Were they in public or one of there homes?

Maybe I missed something - if they are playing in a home, they were all there by their own choice, who and why was the police called? Yes, the stakes were high, but again they each knew it and were in on it and you can bet it wasn't the first time. I don't get it. :banghead:

I personally don't get it either or maybe I do and it all has to do with the state wanting any gambling money spent on their own state lottery.

They were at a very nice upscale restaurant on the river that one of the defendants' owns. It was after hours and no one was there but them.

Someone ratted them out for some reason. It could have been done by someone who is a fanatic about any kind of gambling. I would never ever do such a thing. What other people do or don't do in private is none of my business especially when they weren't bothering anyone. But you do have those types that would turn in their own mothers for something. Gah!

IMO

Nope, almost, just Texas. Sorry looking at my calendar wrong! My bad. Gosh still. Dates all so close. Thanks for catching that for me Jo in California. OMG! Are you rooting for California Chrome?

I figured that was the case, looking at your calendar wrong.
Don't follow the horses, but my Ex SIL is sure rooting for California Crome.

There is also the possibility that the phone call that Sills got was that there was a possible partial DNA match to someone that was the system. Like they did in the Grim Sleeper case in LA Calif. son to the perp was in the system.

Now that would be quite interesting if that was the way this perp was caught. . . JMO! In the shows they never seem very excited when they get a partial DNA match, but often that is what leads them to the perp eventually.

Another possibility just dawned on me. In Georgia, you must get a court order to swab someone after arrest. Normally, this is to gather further evidence to tie the arrestee to what he was arrested for. If they had someone in custody for something else, and received a tip they were involved in the Dermond crimes, LE would still have to get a swab warrant, but the concern of flight would not be there.

<BBM for Focus>

Litiq8ter, do you have a link for the GA DNA LAW. It's the Meredith Emerson DNA Law passed in 04/2008 by the GA Legislature. Can't locate it, but it was virtually unanimously passed due to issues involved in the serial killer Gary Hilton investigation.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/020908/genassembly_20080209003.shtml

Proposed law would have given earlier DNA comparison in ...

Feb 8, 2008 - ATLANTA (AP) - Spurred by the case of slain Georgia hiker Meredith Emerson, a state lawmaker is pushing legislation that would allow earlier

Recent Supreme Court Ruling on DNA Swabbing

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...cle_417eaaa2-856e-54de-82bf-8eeaf8099fce.html

It is possible that the financial investigations are responsible for that?
Maybe their money and accounts are locked up for the time being!
Just a thought!

LE has the authority to subpoena copies of financial records or people can willingly turnover financial records.

However; they do not have the authority to freeze any account of anyone that has not even been arrested or even named as a suspect in a criminal matter. The Dermond children are afforded every constitutional right that any other citizen has in this country.

So, imo, no accounts have been frozen.

And the sons are the Co-Executors of the Will for their father. Russell's accounts aren't frozen either. The Estate Attorney has already opened the process of executing his Will which usually happens within 30 days of death. He has advised all of RDs creditors to come forth with any outstanding bills he may have owed at the time of his death so that they can be paid before distributing any assets to his heirs.

IMO

Does anyone think we will hear more from Sheriff Sills this weekend? I'm so hoping he has the break he needs!

Does anyone think we will hear more from Sheriff Sills this weekend? I'm so hoping he has the break he needs!

I wondered that myself. I am not going to expect to so if we do it will be a nice surprise. Hoping so, don't waste a day. jmo

No offense to you at all. Stop and think for 60 seconds.
THEY were dead before the derby started.
Seriously????
A retired navy man.
Worth millions.
He would never bet more than he could throw away.
They were both college educated. Which at the time wasn't the norm for women. They weren't stupid old cronies. She played duplicate bridge!
That party had nothing to do with their deaths unless the killer wanted Mr. D found that night.
moo

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

Yes seriously even retired military men in their 80's like to gamble.
My grandfather is one of them.
I didn't elude to a debt either.
I was thinking more a long the lines of extortion of some type.

Now that would be quite interesting if that was the way this perp was caught. . . JMO! In the shows they never seem very excited when they get a partial DNA match, but often that is what leads them to the perp eventually.

What may turnout to be poetic justice is if the evidence the killer may have inadvertently left behind is on Russell Dermond's torso.

I do believe if he did leave trace evidence or tissue samples it was most likely found on Russell's torso/clothing. Water greatly degrades DNA and can destroy or wash away other forensic evidence. But Russell was found much sooner and his torso wouldn't have been in the same poor state as Shirley when she was found.

So the killer goes through all of the time and effort he did of decapitating Russ even taking the head with him in order to hide evidence.

Yet in the end it may turnout that evidence found on Russ' torso is going to be what connects him to the murders. The one piece of body evidence that he decided to not dispose of at all.

IMO

I believe, Litig8er, said he has 10 days to do whatever he's going to do.

<BBM for Focus>

Litiq8ter, do you have a link for the GA DNA LAW. It's the Meredith Emerson DNA Law passed in 04/2008 by the GA Legislature. Can't locate it, but it was virtually unanimously passed due to issues involved in the serial killer Gary Hilton investigation.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/020908/genassembly_20080209003.shtml

Proposed law would have given earlier DNA comparison in ...

Feb 8, 2008 - ATLANTA (AP) - Spurred by the case of slain Georgia hiker Meredith Emerson, a state lawmaker is pushing legislation that would allow earlier

Recent Supreme Court Ruling on DNA Swabbing

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...cle_417eaaa2-856e-54de-82bf-8eeaf8099fce.html
I had researched this early in the Lauren Giddings case. This is one of the articles I bookmarked back then.

Senate Passes SB 80: DNA Testing for Arrestees
March 16, 2011
The Valdosta Daily Times

ATLANTA — The Senate today passed Senate Bill 80, which requires law enforcement to collect DNA from suspects arrested on felony charges. The DNA samples will be entered into a database to help with identification in future cases.

If passed by the House of Representatives and signed by the governor, this bill would help solidify convictions on felony charges and will help to identify suspects in crimes.
In 2013 SB 135 was proposed.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/display/20132014/SB/135

Ga. lawmakers pushing for DNA sampling bill for arrested felons
News 12 at 6 o' clock/ July 26, 2013

Senate Bill 135 in Georgia would take away the word 'convicted' from the DNA testing bill already on the books, and replace it with 'arrested,' a change the Black family supports in case their son's killer pops up in the Georgia system.

[...]

The Georgia division of the ACLU released this statement, saying: "In spite of the U.S. Supreme Court's recent decision in Maryland v. King, which found a similar law to be constitutional on the federal level, we believe SB 135 would be found unconstitutional in Georgia because our state constitution offers greater privacy protections than the U.S. Constitution.
As it stands now
DNA Collection in Georgia

In 2011 and 2013 bills were introduced into the Georgia Legislature to allow for the collection of DNA from those arrested for a felony. In 2011, House Bill 288 (HB 288) called for DNA to be collected as a condition of bail for certain serious felony offenses prior to conviction. HB 288 did not make it to a vote and died after House Second Readers.

Likewise, in 2011, Senate Bill 80 (SB 80) was introduced to allow for DNA collection of a person arrested for a felony offense if there was a subsequent find of probable cause. SB 80’s pre-conviction DNA collection raised constitutional concerns, so the bill was eventually amended to apply only to DNA collection after a conviction, not just an arrest or a finding of probable cause after arrest. SB 80 was passed and signed into current Georgia Law that allows post-conviction DNA collection of felons. (The concerns in 2011 were the same concerns the United States Supreme Court deemed as not a violation of the Constitution in 2013.)

Also, in 2013, Senate Bill 135 was introduced, which was an almost the exact same bill as 2011’s Senate Bill 80. SB 135 did not make it to a vote and died after House Second Readers.

In 2014, there will certainly be at least one bill similar to 2011’s SB 80 and 2013’s SB 135 introduced in the Georgia Legislature making it the law in Georgia to have all of Georgia’s felony arrestees submit to a DNA collection.

The 2014 Georgia Law will likely be constitutional under Maryland v. King, but will be challenged in the Georgia Supreme Court to make sure it is valid under the Georgia Constitution, not just the U.S. Constitution.
- See more at: http://www.gainesvillegalawyer.com/...m-defendants-in-georgia/#sthash.eOf80Luo.dpuf
http://ga.elaws.us/law/35-3|6a
Basic Version

• (a) As used in this article, the term: (1) "Department" means the Department of Corrections. (2) "Division" means the Division of Forensic Sciences of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. (3) "Detention facility" means a penal institution under the jurisdiction of the department used for the detention of persons convicted of a felony, including penal institutions operated by a private company on behalf of the department, inmate work camps, inmate boot camps, probation detention centers, and parole revocation centers. Such term shall also mean any facility operated under the jurisdiction of a sheriff used for the detention of persons convicted of a felony including a county jail or county correctional facility.(b) Any person convicted of a felony offense who is held in a detention facility or placed on probation shall at the time of entering the detention facility or being placed on probation have a sample of his or her blood, an oral swab, or a sample obtained from a noninvasive procedure taken for DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) analysis to determine identification characteristics specific to the person. The provisions and requirements of this Code section shall also apply to any person who has been convicted of a felony prior to July 1, 2011, and who currently is incarcerated in a detention facility, serving a probation sentence, or serving under the jurisdiction of the Board of Pardons and Paroles for such offense. It shall be the responsibility of the detention facility detaining or entity supervising a convicted felon to collect the samples required by this Code section and forward the sample to the division unless such sample has already been collected by the department or another agency or entity.(c) The analysis shall be performed by the division. The division shall be authorized to contract with individuals or organizations for services to perform such analysis. The identification characteristics of the profile resulting from the DNA analysis shall be stored and maintained by the bureau in a DNA data bank and shall be made available only as provided in Code Section 35-3-163.
Code 1981, § 35-3-160, enacted by Ga. L. 2011, p. 264, § 3-1/SB 80.

What may turnout to be poetic justice is if the evidence the killer may have inadvertently left behind is on Russell Dermond's torso.

I do believe if he did leave trace evidence or tissue samples it was most likely found on Russell's torso/clothing. Water greatly degrades DNA and can destroy or wash away other forensic evidence. But Russell was found much sooner and his torso wouldn't have been in the same poor state as Shirley when she was found.

So the killer goes through all of the time and effort he did of decapitating Russ even taking the head with him in order to hide evidence.

Yet in the end it may turnout that evidence found on Russ' torso is going to be what connects him to the murders. The one piece of body evidence that he decided to not dispose of at all.

IMO

I am wondering if Russell wore a 14kt or higher karat chain around his neck?
The photo of Russell that has been shown in media sure looks like he is wearing a gold chain.
If Russell wore a chain, was the chain found with the torso? Could the chain have DNA on it from someone else?
IMOO.
http://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/decapitated.jpg
http://myfox8.com/2014/05/08/elderly-georgia-man-decapitated-wife-missing-police-seek-clues/

I am wondering if Russell wore a 14kt or higher karat chain around his neck?
The photo of Russell that has been shown in media sure looks like he is wearing a gold chain.
If Russell wore a chain, was the chain found with the torso? Could the chain have DNA on it from someone else?
IMOO.
http://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/decapitated.jpg
http://myfox8.com/2014/05/08/elderly-georgia-man-decapitated-wife-missing-police-seek-clues/

When viewing a pic of him on his grandson's Facebook page, he is NOT wearing a watch or wedding band. You cannot see a gold chain, but there might be one under his shirt.

O/T Just drove by the Cumming Ga courthouse where the shooting was yesterday . The entire courthouse block has crime scene tape around it and police cars parked in front on entrances.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402168164356.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402168164356.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 209
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors