GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've followed case since beginning...I don't recall him saying that he was not beheaded "on property". Just not where he was found in garage.

Do you or anyone have a link for such? ...as many, including myself, were thinking on property but not garage.

TIA

specifically it was stated in the very first reports, he was moved a few feet
and dont' recall exact wording later, but never imagined it to be that he was murdered off teh property either

we know how the "placed there" was blown out of proportion, becuase of SILLS wording, might be the same thing here

I am wondering why the family has not contributed to the reward. What do you mean maybe the Sheriff "set it up that way" about the family donating to the reward?
The Sheriff has made it clear he feels the reward may be very helpful to the case and asked the public to donate to it.
Why wouldn't the family contributed to the reward?

For real leave them alone. Maybe they have more debt than assets. Kids are in or headed to college, and no telling what else. Maybe they were advised to stay out of it. IF they are named as suspects they are fair game. For now.... let's just don't.
moo

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

I wonder if Mr. D gambled at all? Did they bet on the horses at the derby?
No offense to you at all. Stop and think for 60 seconds.
THEY were dead before the derby started.
Seriously????
A retired navy man.
Worth millions.
He would never bet more than he could throw away.
They were both college educated. Which at the time wasn't the norm for women. They weren't stupid old cronies. She played duplicate bridge!
That party had nothing to do with their deaths unless the killer wanted Mr. D found that night.
moo

I am wondering why the family has not contributed to the reward. What do you mean maybe the Sheriff "set it up that way" about the family donating to the reward?
The Sheriff has made it clear he feels the reward may be very helpful to the case and asked the public to donate to it.
Why wouldn't the family contributed to the reward?

It is possible that the financial investigations are responsible for that?
Maybe their money and accounts are locked up for the time being!
Just a thought!

Seriously????
A retired navy man.
Worth millions.
They were both college educated. Which at the time wasn't the norm for women. They weren't stupid old cronies. She played duplicate bridge!
That party had nothing to do with their deaths unless the killer wanted Mr. D found that night.
moo

I'm with you...the derby had nothing to do with this at all. People don't get to 90 years old and throw their lives away on petty gambling.

I think the extended family has been VERY specifically instructed by FBI in their movements right now...low profile, no more comments to media, no contributing to the reward fund...it is wrong to judge them on the criteria that LE has set forth. Clearly, if it would make a difference in this investigation, they would have contributed to the fund. But I don't think they'd be shouting that financial contribution from the mountaintops just so we can sleep better at night knowing that they care...

Just a nuance for folks that are reading here and not from ATL.... If anyone asks me where I'm from I'll say Atlanta. Unless they say they are FROM Atlanta I'll tell them the outlying City I live in. Metro Atlanta has about 9 counties iirc...and many folks refer within the state as to all counties being *Atlanta*. IMHO :moo: ....it's a local thang of reference.

Sills...IMHO saying he was in Atlanta also = Dekalb county. It touches it west...and us locals consider it *Atlanta*.

HTH

Completely understand this post! We lived in Atlanta in the early 80s...WELL, really we lived in East Cobb and I guess technically that would be Marietta, but then again the neighborhood was Atlanta Country Club....it truly IS a local thang of reference!

I got a reply about the helicopters.
Per Oconee County Georgia Sheriff's Office.
Aircraft are not required to notify us when they fly over the county. We have no information as to why any aircraft would have been flying over the county last night.
Since the answer wasn't "no comment" I would say relax. But if I lived in the area I'd still be jumpy.

Those are some good possibilities. Fingernails are often the source of tissue from a suspect, but not the only one. This killer wasn't averse to dismembering a victim. If Mr of Mrs. D scratched him, why didn't he remove the hands. That's assuming the tissue samples belong to the killer.

The article refers to "hundreds of fingerprints and hair and tissue samples". If the tissue samples belong to the perp, then do the fingerprints and hair samples, too? How do we know? And if so, doesn't that contradict the other facts we know about the crime? In other words, if the killer was as careful to cover his tracks as it seems, would he leave behind fingerprints?

Ach! Each question leads to ten more. Here's hoping for answers very soon!

Morning Bessie and Everyone!:seeya:

BBM

That is one of the reasons I do not believe the home was cleaned by the suspect. In fact it is proof that it wasn't cleaned up by the suspect. Imo, the home was clean and neat just like Shirley and Russ kept it but like in all homes even neat and tidy ones fingerprints, loose hairs, and loose fibers can be found in abundance due to the victims living in the home and having guests and family members come inside the home for visits. It was said in one article that S&R had many friends.

Now if LE hadn't found any fingerprints, loose hairs or fibers that would show them the suspect cleaned up and wiped things down but that is not the case since hundreds of prints and hairs were left behind which is normally found in all homes.

That is why I continue to believe the suspect never entered the Dermond home the day he murdered them and the home nor the garage is the actual murder scene and neither is the boat the location of the original murder scene that belongs to the suspect, imo.

By Sills own statement that they have collected hundreds of fingerprints and hairs shows the home was never cleaned by the suspect nor even entered at the time, imo.

Completely understand this post! We lived in Atlanta in the early 80s...WELL, really we lived in East Cobb and I guess technically that would be Marietta, but then again the neighborhood was Atlanta Country Club....it truly IS a local thang of reference!

That would be East Snob now.
I didn't choose that word!
I grew up near Holt Rd.
My hubby in Terrell Mill Estates.
They split the zip codes!
30067 East Snob
East Cobb
ie: houses are 500,000 more in 30067.
o
ok
Lol . I always loved the paper mill area. Facebook has an Old Marietta page with pictures of the ferries that used to cross the river.
sorry I'm off O/T

Mob/cartel hit doesn't make sense if they decapitated Mr D to hide evidence.
Hit man don't take a gun to kill someone that could trace back to them.
I think if it was a hit both bodies would of been in the house with gunshot wounds to the head.

It doesn't appear the killings were planned to me.
There is too much afterthought and effort after the crime to cover their (the killers) tracks IMO for this to be a planned double homicide.

I wouldn't imagine everything always goes as "planned" either, never know how victims will behave or what other factors may play into it at the time of attack

One would still have to clean up something, don't just knock them in the head and presume they are dead, one might wake up, apparently they didnt' want that to happen here

I thought hit men used guns all the time

So suppose they did and it was a gun...........take the head? harder to hide the whole body, head, not so much

I'm not sure if it was random or targeting anymore, but I know I am anxious to see what this court order is about !

I got a reply about the helicopters.
Per Oconee County Georgia Sheriff's Office.
Aircraft are not required to notify us when they fly over the county. We have no information as to why any aircraft would have been flying over the county last night.
Since the answer wasn't "no comment" I would say relax. But if I lived in the area I'd still be jumpy.

I don't know the route they were flying but the Lake Oconee counties are Putnam, Greene, Morgan & Hancock.

All I can find now.

"The Russell Dermond homicide crime scene (or at least the secondary crime scene, if the homicide and/or decapitation occurred elsewhere)...."

http://www.twcc.com/articles/2014/0...ile-psychiatrist-says-suspect-is-mentally-ill

referring back to the finding of SD body "placed here"

and this "elsewhere"

Verbiage, IMO,

as reporters or Sills did not mean she was intentionally hung on a tree trunk in the lake

Possibly the same thing in the "elsewhere", orignally it was reported that he was only moved a few feet, maybe a wrong assessment at that time, later it was "elsewhere"

that could mean outside of garage

tomkat, I don't think that information was ever in MSM. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me and post a link.)

The only time I remember hearing any report of what the beheading cut was like was from a new WS poster who gave info much as you've related and said it was from "unnamed sources" -- hence, only rumor, for us. IMO.

OK, thanks, that is the very first thing I remember in this case, could not find the link or anything else on it

The "hoodlums" remark by Sheriff Sills also caught my eye.

I have a ton of catching up to do on the thread now after catching up in the media.

I still can't shake my initial thoughts on this case.
I wanna see what everyone has been thinking this past week and what's changed opinions. For some reason I go back to a statement made by one of the sons. I may reading too much into the statement but it's always stood out to me. I feel the family knows a lot more then it appears and there was a "background period" to this crime.

In what seemed a plea to his father’s killer and his mother’s potential abductor, the son added, “Just tell us where she is. They didn’t deserve this. ... It’s not fair. ... They never hurt anybody.”

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/09/3089222/autopsy-sheds-little-light-on.html

Strong possibility (in my mind)

For real leave them alone. Maybe they have more debt than assets. Kids are in or headed to college, and no telling what else. Maybe they were advised to stay out of it. IF they are named as suspects they are fair game. For now.... let's just don't.
moo

Can we discuss family now????

Seriously????
A retired navy man.
Worth millions.
moo

We don't know they didn't gamble..............

but I don't think the derby party had anything to do with it either unless someone knew they had tons of cash on them, the way the perps handled the disposals, it still doesnt' seem to make sense to me if just robbery

How did the murderer know he'd have time to kill them both? Or did he just plan to kill one and not the other? Was he watching? Was the house bugged?

People drop by unannounced at our house all the time. My gutter guy randomly shows up. My friends and neighbors randomly show up - sometimes in a car, sometimes not. My Sentricon guy randomly shows up. The paper guy comes by and not at the same time every day.

And back in the day my parents picked up hitch hikers on the way to the beach. Could Mr. D have picked up someone on the way home from Publix? Someone he knew or recognized?

And hair...unless you are totally bald, or wearing a wig, your hair falls out all day everyday. The murderer may have left some hair at the scene.

Just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member