GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these types usually enter the homes of their victims or stalk them out on the streets? Because they are easy targets on the streets, like prostitues, and tend to have no one that would miss them?

It doesnt' seem D's were THAT easy a target being in RP, elderly and rich, nothing stolen, we know of, being in their own home, just seems like soemthing more to me, IDK

tomkat, anyone, anytime, anywhere.. Emulator SK/sexual predator Israel Keyes, blitz attacked the Curriers, in their Burlington, VT, home in the middle of the night while they slept. Took them to an abandoned home, using their auto, and raped/tortured/murdered them..

New insight into the mind of confessed serial killer Israel ...
The FBI releases more video interviews with Israel Keyes, the man who admitted to killing 11 people including Vermont's Bill and Lorraine Currier.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-th...r-random-horrific-killing-vt-couple-revisited

I was thinking about what I mentioned earlier about what happened if the perp(s) got the wrong house....well, if that were true, I wonder if they would be going back to finish their job or seek out the "right" person(s) elsewhere and finish what they had set out to do?
So, thinking of it that way, I am wondering if it wasn't a mistake, that the Dermonds were really the target after all, otherwise there are others that might know that they are now "next"....
IMOO.

No facts to back it up, but I was told, by a criminal professional that if someone is put in witness protection they do not stay in the US and are not allowed to return ever.
IOW they can't have a passport.
ETA:He also said,
This is after testimony at or just before trial or if they were an informant. This would be for big deals not street crimes..
He said also ENGLISH speaking countries.

I have no idea if true.
moo

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

The only thing I know about US Federal Witness Protection is "Max Mermelstein" (Cocaine Cowboys-Medellin Cartel). He remained in the US. He lived in Florida and also in Kentucky (where he died in 2008).

Rather fascinating story.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wa...ons/2008/09/rip_the_man_who_made_it_show.html

"From 1978 to 1985, Max Mermelstein helped move 56 tons of cocaine into Florida and sent $300 million in cash back to Medellin, Colombia. He was instrumental in creating the "Cocaine Cowboy" era of South Florida depicted in the Al Pacino film Scarface and in innumerable episodes of Miami Vice.

Mermelstein did more than any other American citizen to help bring the Colombian cocaine trade into this country. Then he turned into a federal witness and did more than any other American to try to bring it down.

Mermelstein died Friday at age 65 in Lexington, Ky., felled by cancer of the bone, liver and lung."

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-0...lstein-came-out-of-hiding-for-a-screenwriter/

Max Mermelstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Been watching these threads from the beginning. Nothing to add except he police really really need to solve this!

Hmmmm only two thoughts tonight.

First off, I do know someone that put into witness protection after serving time in federal prison for a huge drug dealing in VA. She has a new name, no association with the area she lived in, no association with the family the drug dealers would know. She did briefly stay at an elderly ladies house upon release from prison, and oddly enough, so did a man that was some type of law enforcement dude. She still resides in the states, but doubtful anyone could track her now, and the crime was at least 15yrs ago.

Second, this January there was a beheading in either Roanoke or Salem VA. Son beheaded his own Mom. Don't remember details, or motive, etc., think his trial is coming up soon.

Usually in brutal crimes such as this, it is personal. Whether a disgruntled employee, long stemming differences with a neighbor that hits a breaking point, exhusband/wife/significant other, family member, even drug deals are personal in that they have a 'working' relationship, and someone feels they are wronged. Of course I'm drawing a blank, piglets just woke up to eat, so thought train derailed.

If this case ends up being a complete stranger, wrong house, serial killer, etc., I'm going to be shocked.

Cherie. T, there are other motives for decapitating, even grandfathers. Meredith Emerson, Cheryl Dunlap, and 81 year old John Bryant(NC 10-2007) were all decapitated by Gary Hilton. Reason given by GMH, was to prevent forensics detection. Imo, it was simply due to fulfill his evil fantasy/s. Many escalated ritual sexual predators/SKs such as Bundy, were head collectors and dismembered to relive their crimes.

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/hilton.htm

Also the Horrific TN crime a few days ago did not involve drugs or money.

New York Daily News ‎- 8 hours ago
A Satanic worshiper in Tennessee killed, dismembered and ate a woman he had just met in a disturbing ritualistic murder, police said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/tenn-man-killed-dismembered-ate-woman-police-article-1.1824786
I'm certain there are many more reasons people decapitate their victim.
I was merely giving my :twocents: to tomcat.

I can't find ANYONE who believes it isnt' cartel or mafia ! Drugs or money is usally at the root of what gets you beheaded isn't it?

Anyway, thrill kill maybe

I've read a few articles about beheadings .....many are done for the cartel and mafia .
..thrill kill is a good a guess as any.
Beheadings seem personal, IMO.

A high stakes secret that will send someone to federal prison...like a Ponzi...a white collar crime. I don't think for one minute Mr\Mrs D or their sons/daughter have anything to do with illegal drugs. But they may have had some knowledge about a financial crime and were killed before authorities found out the info.

Idk, IMO a Ponzi scheme... Well, doesn't that type crime usually end in gun death? Drive by shooting type crimes?
I'm guessing because I'm not referencing a particular crime. :blushing:

A high stakes secret that will send someone to federal prison...like a Ponzi...a white collar crime. I don't think for one minute Mr\Mrs D or their sons/daughter have anything to do with illegal drugs. But they may have had some knowledge about a financial crime and were killed before authorities found out the info.

Well I don't see this couple dabbling in the drug trade. :)
Besides , their bank stmts etc have been checked and this couple were clean ie no funny business.

‘Plausible lead’

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_7a795c98-f19a-11e3-8038-001a4bcf887a.html

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills and his staff continue to investigate what he calls a “plausible” lead in the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond – and a well-known Putnam County attorney who has donated to the reward fund is urging other local residents to do the same.

Sheriff’s officials were investigating the potential lead Tuesday – including trips out of the county and out of state.

More at link.

I can't find ANYONE who believes it isnt' cartel or mafia ! Drugs or money is usally at the root of what gets you beheaded isn't it?

Sills thinks it has nothing to do with a hit. He doesn't believe it has anything to do with the mafia or a cartel.

I agree with Sills.

BBM
That's what every single person I've talked to in the area believes. I have no idea why they believe it. Not living there, I'm not as tuned in so I wonder if they have heard things I haven't or if it is a kind of sef-preservation thing. I really wish I could convince myself of a reason.

From the letter to the newspaper, the attorney says:

“Very few people or even the owners of Reynolds Plantation understand the high level of alarm possessed by those who would consider traveling or moving to this region."

“The same feelings are true even for those who own property here and are no more than weekend visitors. One of our Atlanta friends who have two small children refuse to return to their home at Great Waters until they are absolutely convinced it is safe to do so,” the letter says.

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_7a795c98-f19a-11e3-8038-001a4bcf887a.html

I've read a few articles about beheadings .....many are done for the cartel and mafia .
..thrill kill is a good a guess as any.
Beheadings seem personal, IMO.

I think it would be quite personal to Drug Dealers and Mafia

Not that it's them, just thinking outloud

BBM
That's what every single person I've talked to in the area believes. I have no idea why they believe it. Not living there, I'm not as tuned in so I wonder if they have heard things I haven't or if it is a kind of sef-preservation thing. I really wish I could convince myself of a reason.

“Very few people or even the owners of Reynolds Plantation understand the high level of alarm possessed by those who would consider traveling or moving to this region."

“The same feelings are true even for those who own property here and are no more than weekend visitors. One of our Atlanta friends who have two small children refuse to return to their home at Great Waters until they are absolutely convinced it is safe to do so,” the letter says.

Wellll, we aint the only chickens CP ! I wondered, my street has been very quiet, It is scary, don't go alone for sure, I'm not! Got my new Ruger yesterday !

BBM

Then those folks "from Atlanta" must not live in metro Atlanta to make that statement. Or they live in an armed tower and never leave.Nowhere is immune from crime and violence IMO. NOWHERE in metro Atlanta.We live in a very nice area in metro Atlanta and two 20 year old males were gunned down by a 31 year old male in a neighborhood of 700k homes 3 miles from my house last Thursday. One was buried yesterday and the other will be today. And Friday, near The Avenue in west Cobb a KSU employee- 50+ woman - gunned down her husband and then killed herself.

We all get lulled into a sense of security where we live. We go home the same way, we shop at the same places everyday, routines IMO are bad but good for criminals. That's why I vary my routine as much as possible, especially after the " creeper" problems we had in our area last year. Lock your doors folks! It's easier for folks to watch you than you think. Obviously someone was watching the Ds. IMO.

BBM

There are 54 homes under construction in Reynolds Plantation right now. The Ritz is full, golf courses busy, etc. I would be more worried about living in Atlanta.

ID channel now, same scenario as this one !

stabbed owner of home and killed him, no robbery, no forced entry, broad daylight, didn't get ALL the details, but no leads for 4 months, finally a tipster called in, it was a mental paitent, I think had come off meds

Then those folks "from Atlanta" must not live in metro Atlanta to make that statement. Or they live in an armed tower and never leave.Nowhere is immune from crime and violence IMO. NOWHERE in metro Atlanta.We live in a very nice area in metro Atlanta and two 20 year old males were gunned down by a 31 year old male in a neighborhood of 700k homes 3 miles from my house last Thursday. One was buried yesterday and the other will be today. And Friday, near The Avenue in west Cobb a KSU employee- 50+ woman - gunned down her husband and then killed herself.

We all get lulled into a sense of security where we live. We go home the same way, we shop at the same places everyday, routines IMO are bad but good for criminals. That's why I vary my routine as much as possible, especially after the " creeper" problems we had in our area last year. Lock your doors folks! It's easier for folks to watch you than you think. Obviously someone was watching the Ds. IMO.

complacency, used to their own area, however, beheadings are scarier IMO, can't change the way people feel though

But apparently as Lakeoconnee posted, it's still in high gear at Oconnee

‘Plausible lead’

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills and his staff continue to investigate what he calls a “plausible” lead in the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond – and a well-known Putnam County attorney who has donated to the reward fund is urging other local residents to do the same.

Sheriff’s officials were investigating the potential lead Tuesday – including trips out of the county and out of state.

More at link.

Wonder what happened, if anything, to the court order?

Also, wonder what's taking them out of state and county?

There are 54 homes under construction in Reynolds Plantation right now. The Ritz is full, golf courses busy, etc. I would be more worried about living in Atlanta.

lakeoconee, how long have the 54 homes been under construction? Builders don't show up one day and begin building homes. There are weeks or months of planning involved before construction begins; contracts, permit applications, financing, etc. My guess would be that many of these homes broke ground in the spring before the tragic Dermond murders occurred. Many of the homes are likely spec houses, imo..

lakeoconee, there is a dark cloud lingering over RP/GW, which will continue until this heinous crime is solved and the unknown suspects brought to justice. It is imperative that all investigative resources be utilized by Sheriff Howard Sills, to insure this result, imo.

Without public safety for our families, friends, and loved ones, we have nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB