GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one unsolved case in Georgia I wish the GBI could solve.

Levi Frady. Levi went missing in 1997 when he was riding his bicycle and was later found murdered.

They enacted 'Levi's Law' in his honor. It is a like an Amber Alert that goes out when a child is missing or has been abducted.

Some even thought at the time that he may have been a victim of Joseph E. Duncan the sadist pedophile/murderer.

IMO

<BBM for Focus>

Ever been to the GBI Levi Frady site, Ocean. Notice the 2 sketches? #1 is FG, died a couple of years ago, and #2 (literally) is SK Gary Michael Hilton, who is on FL's death row.. I talked to the eye witness that saw GMH in the area near where LF's body was found. GMH said in his GBI/DCSO interview 01/07/08, "this is not the only body that has been dumped out here". Levi's body was found a rocks throw from Meredith Hope Emerson's torso..as was hair dresser Patrice Endres..

http://gbi.georgia.gov/case/unsolved-homicide-343

LE serves warrants everyday in metro Atlanta. I find it very interesting that it got so much media attention- especially tv- so quickly. Escapees get tv time here but warrant/ parole violators...not so much.

And if you look at said fugitive's arrest record it goes from Coweta to Banks to...Fayette and more. It appears he knows all of the Atlanta SMSA. And if his address was listed in Senoia for the parolee database why did LE serve the warrant in Cherokee County? And that looked like a nice 'hood.This had to be more than a parole violation. Not saying it's connected to the Ds. Interesting timing IMO.

OTPT, saw an update on WSB TV news at 5PM. The fugitive has friends & relatives in Woodstock/Cherokee County, GA...

Evening all...hope they catch this guy who's all over the place, or some other innocent people are going to get hurt. I was just wondering today whatever happened to America's Most Wanted? I thought they did so much good. In fact, I wish there was a 24 hour station like CNN with information that was at least regional and that also did updates on crime. I guess there's no demand for it or money in it. I will rejoice the day they catch whoever did this horrific crime to the Dermonds, it's on my mind every day. Still feeling sad about what they must have experienced.

HA! We should go in business, I was thinking the same thing earlier! !! No kidding !

was looking online for something of the sort

Evening all...hope they catch this guy who's all over the place, or some other innocent people are going to get hurt. I was just wondering today whatever happened to America's Most Wanted? I thought they did so much good. In fact, I wish there was a 24 hour station like CNN with information that was at least regional and that also did updates on crime. I guess there's no demand for it or money in it. I will rejoice the day they catch whoever did this horrific crime to the Dermonds, it's on my mind every day. Still feeling sad about what they must have experienced.

HA! We should go in business, I was thinking the same thing earlier! !! No kidding !

was looking online for something of the sort

<BBM for Focus>

AMW, was dropped due to low viewership, imo. I luved AMW & John Walsh. I researched AMW once and if my memory is correct, AMW and their viewer's tips were responsible for the capture of more violent fugitive felons than any single unit of the FBI. Think it was around 1500 fugitive captures when the show ended..

<BBM for Focus>

AMW, was dropped due to low viewership, imo. I luved AMW & John Walsh. I researched AMW once and if my memory is correct, AMW and their viewer's tips were responsible for the capture of more violent felonfugitives than any single unit of the FBI. Think it was around 1500 fugitive captures when the show ended..
Per WSB - fugitive has been captured.

ETA: Billy Lee Owens captured and is not connected to the Dermond case as far as we know. Didn't want to confuse anyone....

Per WSB - fugitive has been captured.

ETA: Billy Lee Owens captured and is not connected to the Dermond case as far as we know. Didn't want to confuse anyone....

Oh, I am so glad that they caught him. :skip: And all our
:websleuthers: are safe and sound.

My first impression of the perp/s responsible for the Dermond's abduction/murder/decapitation hinged on the decapitation pointing to the crucial motive for the horrific crime. Due to KD's comment about a cult being responsible, and info learned since through many hours of research, etc. Combined with no other crime associated with the murders after six weeks of investigation. I am convinced that the Dermonds, although not random, were targets of a very complicated and complex means to an end, imo..
Imo, Sheriff Sills, the Putnam County justice system, and the community were the indirect primary targets in the Dermond murders..and the motive is retribution/retaliation...jmo
'The writing is on the wall and the Devil is well hidden in the subliminal details'..

Imo, if Sheriff Sills had been directly targeted, the person/s likely responsible would have been obvious, and quickly brought to justice....as in the following targeting of a GA Sheriff;

Fyi- for the non-locals of GA: (Dekalb Co., GA is 1 hour west of Putnam Co., GA)...

Captain Derwin Brown, was the Sheriff-elect of DeKalb County, Georgia, who was assassinated on the evening of Dec 15/2000 by associates of defeated rival incumbent Sheriff Sydney Dorsey. Dorsey & associates are now serving life sentences in prison.

Fatal Encounters Discovery Channel
http://www.investigationdiscovery.c...eos/fatal-encounters-who-shot-the-sheriff.htm

That was one of the saddest cases ever for many Georgians. Shot the man down right in his own driveway with his family home.:(

They had a change of venue in that case and brought it to Albany, Georgia which is about 8-10 miles from where we live.

It did them no good though. They found him guilty as the sins he committed.

See the way I see it if these murders were done in retaliation against Sills he would have received the same fate Derwin did, imo. Or murder one of his family members. Doesn't he have a young son? They would want him to suffer emotionally for the rest of his life. Even though he is committed to solving the D murders he is not emotionally invested. He had never met the Dermonds I don't think or he acts like he didn't know them.

IMO

wow, D's should feel insulted

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten

check out these fugitives and THE REWARDS on THEIR heads !

$100k one is $200k and one is for $1 MILLION

And sadly no matter how high a reward is... a reward rarely smokes the killer out.

Osama Bin Laden had a 27 MILLION price tag on his head and many people knew exacty where he was living for years. Yet before he was finally killed no one came forward to collect the reward.

IMO

Are people so fearful of retribution that they won't talk...even for millions of dollars? Is it because criminals have gotten so violent and psychopathic that we realize they will do anything for their revenge? I wonder if the aberrant behavior can be traced back to drugs, poor breeding, deprivation in childhood or just the sensory overload we're exposed to each day. Surely someone in the area surrounding GW has heard a bit of information that could help, but they aren't sharing it. Which would be worse...looking over your shoulder or having to look at yourself in the mirror? I'm older, but this world has really changed within the past few years. Growing up, we were taught that you do what is right and deal with whatever comes later.

And sadly no matter how high a reward is... a reward rarely smokes the killer out.

Osama Bin Laden had a 27 MILLION price tag on his head and many people knew exacty where he was living for years. Yet before he was finally killed no one came forward to collect the reward.

IMO

I think rewards don't work because a person doesn't just get the money and it's over. There is a trial to contend with etc. and everyone knows you turned in the perp. I would think there would be fear of retribution and retaliation. Especially in the Bin Laden scenario. jmo

Southernmimi: Our posts crossed in the Ethernet. :) jmo

Doing the usual checking in...I seem to do it in between meals, hubby coming home, clothes out of the dryer or whatever, but I do come back to this. It's like a book club with a conscience. (I've never been in a book club, I just think the conversations are more interesting here..). I'm trying to be patient, like so many cases, they have to pinpoint every detail and it takes longer, but I know they want to be sure they can get a conviction. I just read a book where a man strangled his wife and 7mo old (not the 2 year old, tho) and he went thru 2 trials when there were no other suspects and it was HIS own tie and the ribbon off his baby's teddy bear that did them in. Took years and he still is going to be paroled. I'm all for DP's where it's warranted. There shouldn't be books on the market about people like that being offered a second life. I'm all for life sentences, too (LWOP), build as many jails as you want, there's plenty of desert and or Alaska tundras. They should work, farm, and feed the homeless since they haven't done a damn thing worth anything in this life. Ok, off the soapbox! Sorry!

Are people so fearful of retribution that they won't talk...even for millions of dollars? Is it because criminals have gotten so violent and psychopathic that we realize they will do anything for their revenge? I wonder if the aberrant behavior can be traced back to drugs, poor breeding, deprivation in childhood or just the sensory overload we're exposed to each day. Surely someone in the area surrounding GW has heard a bit of information that could help, but they aren't sharing it. Which would be worse...looking over your shoulder or having to look at yourself in the mirror? I'm older, but this world has really changed within the past few years. Growing up, we were taught that you do what is right and deal with whatever comes later.

You are sure right..........our world seems to be drastically changing and not for the better.

I honestly don't know how the people that know something about a horrendous murder lives with themselves. There was a time it wouldn't even be about getting the reward but more about stepping forward to do the right and honorable thing and a reward wouldn't even be an issue. But now so many things seem to center around money. Even having to offer it hoping to round up the worst among us.

I think why most rewards are never paid out though is most murders do not have eye witnesses so therefore there is no one to step forward with what they know. Criminals are becoming smarter........even LE admits that and its harder and harder to catch them.

Is it because our own tv shows teach them everything to do in order to cover up their hideous crimes? Sometimes I think that is part of it. Its about as stupid as our government leaking to the national press what our military plans are concerning a certain country.:banghead:

And then of course there is the fear factor and money doesn't mean anything if they believe they are not going to be able to live long enough to spend it.

Now in some cases there is more than one perp but the other one knows they cant rat on the main suspect without ratting themselves out. Plus they aren't in line for the reward anyway.

So on and on it goes but I have seen many cold cases that have huge rewards attached to them that are never solved and the rewards remain uncollected.

And even Sills has said he has not received one tip since the reward started.:( Although I didn't expect him to.......

In this case I still think it may be one lone killer and if that is the case then the secret can always be kept.... where it would be more iffy if there were two who knew the same secret.

What does happen in some of the unsolved cases though is years later the killer will finally confide in someone say like a gf/bf/spouse and if they ever break up she/he may tell then what she/he has known for many years.

Also another thing can happen. If there were two killers in this case and the one who played the lessor role and is arrested for something else later on then they may workout a deal with the DA if they turn the main suspect in for the Dermond murders.

Just some possibilities......

Doing the usual checking in...I seem to do it in between meals, hubby coming home, clothes out of the dryer or whatever, but I do come back to this. It's like a book club with a conscience. (I've never been in a book club, I just think the conversations are more interesting here..). I'm trying to be patient, like so many cases, they have to pinpoint every detail and it takes longer, but I know they want to be sure they can get a conviction. I just read a book where a man strangled his wife and 7mo old (not the 2 year old, tho) and he went thru 2 trials when there were no other suspects and it was HIS own tie and the ribbon off his baby's teddy bear that did them in. Took years and he still is going to be paroled. I'm all for DP's where it's warranted. There shouldn't be books on the market about people like that being offered a second life. I'm all for life sentences, too (LWOP), build as many jails as you want, there's plenty of desert and or Alaska tundras. They should work, farm, and feed the homeless since they haven't done a damn thing worth anything in this life. Ok, off the soapbox! Sorry!

Happyshoes---I always enjoy your posts! It seems this case is stagnant, and that is disturbing. Hopefully there will be some good news very soon. I imagine you are a fan of Maricopa county Sheriff Joe Arpaio. I admire his style. :twocents:

IMHO

Happyshoes---I always enjoy your posts! It seems this case is stagnant, and that is disturbing. Hopefully there will be some good news very soon. I imagine you are a fan of Maricopa county Sheriff Joe Arpaio. I admire his style. :twocents:

IMHO

Thanks, I don't have much sympathy for these devils. And yes, I think Sheriff Joe is cool. I think it should be standard in our country for inmates to NOT be watching tv, working out, enjoying illegal stuff...but to work (in pink shorts?) and growing food for others is a terrific solution. I'm all for them learning a trade and rehab if it can be done, too. You don't want to hear my thoughts on child molesters, haha. There's a special place in hell for people who hurt children, animals and older people.
Did I do this post right?

My first impression of the perp/s responsible for the Dermond's abduction/murder/decapitation hinged on the decapitation pointing to the crucial motive for the horrific crime. Due to KD's comment about a cult being responsible, and info learned since through many hours of research, etc. Combined with no other crime associated with the murders after six weeks of investigation. I am convinced that the Dermonds, although not random, were targets of a very complicated and complex means to an end, imo..

Imo, Sheriff Sills, the Putnam County justice system, and the community were the indirect primary targets in the Dermond murders..and the motive is retribution/retaliation...jmo
'The writing is on the wall and the Devil is well hidden in the subliminal details'..

Imo, if Sheriff Sills had been directly targeted, the person/s likely responsible would have been obvious, and quickly brought to justice....as in the following targeting of a GA Sheriff;

Fyi- for the non-locals of GA: (Dekalb Co., GA is 1 hour west of Putnam Co., GA)...

Captain Derwin Brown, was the Sheriff-elect of DeKalb County, Georgia, who was assassinated on the evening of Dec 15/2000 by associates of defeated rival incumbent Sheriff Sydney Dorsey. Dorsey & associates are now serving life sentences in prison.

Fatal Encounters Discovery Channel
http://www.investigationdiscovery.c...eos/fatal-encounters-who-shot-the-sheriff.htm

That was one of the saddest cases ever for many Georgians. Shot the man down right in his own driveway with his family home.:(

They had a change of venue in that case and brought it to Albany, Georgia which is about 8-10 miles from where we live.

It did them no good though. They found him guilty as the sins he committed.

See the way I see it if these murders were done in retaliation against Sills he would have received the same fate Derwin did, imo. Or murder one of his family members. Doesn't he have a young son? They would want him to suffer emotionally for the rest of his life. Even though he is committed to solving the D murders he is not emotionally invested. He had never met the Dermonds I don't think or he acts like he didn't know them.

<BBM for Focus>
IMO

FBI: Dermond Murders Were Personal
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/05/23/dermond-murder-mysterybeheading-georgia-lake-oconee
May 23, 2014

FBI Now Part of The Investigation (40 FBI Agents & BAU2 involved)

* Crime appears to be personal; Vendetta
* No signs of forced entry

Morning Ocean... Putnam County Sheriff Sills and the ms media sure have been silent as of late... Although SS would likely be the primary target of retribution by the NC, the entire Justice system, and the Putnam County community that sent their prophet; DY, to federal super max for over a century, and brought down their lawless empire would also be secondary targets, imo.

Why would 40 FBI Special Agents & the FBI BAU2 be involved in a double homicide investigation in rural America? This is an anomaly, imo.. Not the norm...deja vu...
'There must be darkness present, for the light to shine through'...

<For those who think that NC was not capable of this unspeakable crime of retribution; a must see, imo>
http://www.mashpedia.com/Dwight_York
for the Middle District of Georgia
(October 27, 2005)

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200412354.pdf

The Indictment alleges that York (1) was the leader of a 5,000-person religious
organization (the enterprise in the RICO count); (2) directed his followers,
particularly the children, to view him as a god-like or father figure; (3) molested
multiple minors, including several who were under age twelve at the time the
specific acts charged in the Indictment took place; and (4) ordered minors to bring
other minors to him for unlawful sexual activity.
________
For all of the above reasons, we affirm York&#8217;s convictions and sentence.
AFFIRMED.

I haven't been able to follow the case for a little over a week due to traveling, so I am now trying to catch up. I gather that Sills has said that the perp.(s) came looking for something that the Dermonds didn't have. Is that correct? Interesting. Awhile back I had posted about wondering if someone came looking for prescription strength pain medication and then became upset when the Dermonds didn't have any or wouldn't give it to them. Probably a dumb idea but I have actually known an elderly person who was emotionally abused by a grandchild that was addicted to her pain medication. I often thought that the grandchild was very capable of becoming violent if denied the meds. The grandmother was very fearful of him and would never deny him the meds. She is now deceased.

mother ocean not a dumb idea at all, I work in the medical field and we have a couple of patients that we have found out are addicted to their pain pills when they would call to get refills and you won't refill it because they should not be having pain at this point so you refer them to a pain management
place and they sure don't like that. They have became irate and they get manic about it because they need that drug. So it's not a dumb idea by any means as we all know drug addicts will lie, cheat, steal from anyone, maybe even kill someone to get them. It is very scary because I have seen how desperate they become and I have wondered when they leave our office if they're going out to get a gun because they're in such a rage. That is very sad about that elderly person you knew = ( drugs are a very sad thing and make people do crazy things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member