GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a house that last year was assessed by RE agent at half of it's value than what was originally, those property values were part of a so called bull market I would say, those high property values will never be reached again, they were way way overdone, the market has reset at where it should be basically as i understand it. The Dermonds' home has been assessed by a RE agent doing market analysis with comparables in the area I would believe

Pool or garage not shown, screen porch on left side of home, the incident probably occurred inside or close to house, more secluded feel up at the house by these pics, boat probably docked in cove or on the right side of dock looking at it from house, the dock across the coves and next door aren't very close in these pics it appears, interesting,

Thinking that the son said the family lived very simply?? Hmm, in regards to the cleanliness of the home, maybe they were at the age where they liked space but not alot of STUFF, so may have been very easy for them to to clean and maintain without outside help, maybe that is what he meant by "simply", not by what kind of property they owned

http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/qpmap4/...8&layers=parcels+streetnum+roads+parcel_sales

maybe all this is irrelevant but noticed on the tax records LL 323 325 and 118 are vacation homes due to the mailing address different than physical address
Also, noted 149 and what must be 145, located on either side of the Dermond's property facing cove are vacant lots, beyond 149, is the golf course which it is backed up to which stretches down several lots facing the main road Rynolds Dr

Also noted that on the other side of the golf course ON Rynolds Dr NE is 2 vacant lots at the end of the golf course, not numbered on map

So, making this assessment it appears anyone could have access from Reynolds DR but makes it very very easy for a "fisherman" to pull up in that cove, walk up the empty lots and onto the Dermonds property and wreak havoc, seeing this I am sure the access entry and exit was by boat besides the fact that Shirley was dumped and tethered in the water, they probably entered and exited at Lawrence shoals posing as fishermen, probably a decent sized fishing boat, there's plenty of floor room

Still would like to know why as I'm sure everyone would, sorry all this has probably been assessed or reviewed and considered. Seems logical that they were targeted because of location too, just making observations

They can be, some you have to have passcodes, but not Putnam County, also had wanted to search if home was for sale during all of my recent postings and never got around to it, great find foxfire. I remember the articles said "million dollar home" as I'm sure you all recall as well, property values are down all around. This incident may not h ave anything to do with the sale price if the murder doesn't have to be revealed to purchasers, low price would be a red flag possibly to a buyer? Wondering what is wrong or may be just assume it's because it was inherited home and family just wanting to unload quickly, who knows. Land value and improvements are over $1mil on tax records, http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/ga_display.php?county=ga_putnam&KEY=120A008 but that may have been assessed when the home was completed years ago

Interesting!
They lived at the end of a cul-de-sac. It seems that all the lots around them are vacant lots with no houses on them. Also, the backside of the golf course is like one empty lot beside them. What houses that are on the same road may be vacation homes because of different mailing addresses. Their lot backs up to a side of the cove, not the very back, but the next lot to them further into and at the back of the cove is empty, perfect undercover spot. So, they were all alone back there and a prime target for burglary, theft or murder!

I can't remember - do we know how deep the water is in the cove - like for what size boat could access to the back end of the cove?

Interesting!
They lived at the end of a cul-de-sac. It seems that all the lots around them are vacant lots with no houses on them. Also, the backside of the golf course is like one empty lot beside them. What houses that are on the same road may be vacation homes because of different mailing addresses. Their lot backs up to a side of the cove, not the very back, but the next lot to them further into and at the back of the cove is empty, perfect undercover spot. So, they were all alone back there and a prime target for burglary, theft or murder!

It would be quite coincidental that someone was after them personally in this kind of location also, I mean how LUCKY the perpetrators were if that is so, seems they could have been targeted for whatever reasons, DUE TO the location as well

The cove doesn't go past the last lot so easy access onto the lot where it adjoins the Dermonds probably. We have looked at lots with a 2' water depth at the end of the dock on the opening of the cove. Most coves I think shallow out in the very end, some are swampy, but this one may not be very deep but fishing boats can float on top, I don't think they sit very deep into the water like larger boats, i think it's called draft, I would guess that a boat of some kind could get atleast a little past the dermonds into the cove, not sure how wide the vacant lot is

Looks like lot 109 on the cove across from the vacant lot are full timers, the one before it, lot 113 is vacation home and 117, i think that must be the house who's dock was seen in the video across from Dermonds are full time residents it appears but maybe not so easy to view the Dermonds property if there are alot of trees on their lot but at night, turn off the boats running lights and no one would even know they were there

I can't remember - do we know how deep the water is in the cove - like for what size boat could access to the back end of the cove?

147 Carolyn Dr
Eatonton, GA 31024
$769,000

Home Details for 147 Carolyn Dr
9 Days on Trulia 31 views
Open Water Views on Lake Oconee
147 Carolyn Dr Open water views on deep water cove!

Thanks for catching that. The "deep water cove" went right past me.
Didn't they have divers go down around the dock when they were hunting for Mrs Dermond?
Does anyone know if a head can float or would the skull bones hold it down?

Hey, I think that all 31 views of this listing are us. I know I checked it out at least three or four times myself.

IIRC, way early on, ~1st or 2d wk, after discovery, a post or link
had a schematic of the D's property, showing line drawings of improvements.
Not a proper survey, not detailed architectural plans.
There were diff colors for interior space, outbldg, ext. porches, balconies, etc.
I remember discussion about where garage was, orientation - front of home,
whether one bldg was a tool/mower shed, etc.

I looked but did 't find it. If still relevant for current discussion, maybe someone else can?

Home Sellers in Georgia: Disclosures Required Under State Law <Sniped & BBM - Read More>
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...gia-disclosures-required-under-state-law.html

What a Georgia Seller Does Not Need to Disclose
Even though, as a Georgia seller, you generally must disclose known problems with the condition of your home, there are certain specific exceptions under the Georgia statutes. These relate to things that occurred in the home, not the home’s physical condition.

* A Georgia seller does not need to inform a buyer if any diseased person ever lived in the home, or if a homicide, felony, suicide, or any other death occurred there (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)).

Additionally, it is up to the buyer to investigate certain information about the neighborhood where the home is located. Georgia statutes specifically state that a seller is not required to inform the buyer if a registered sex offender lives in the area (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16 (b)). (However, to help the buyer, most form real estate contracts used in Georgia direct a buyer where to look online for information about the location of registered sex offenders.)

Even if the seller is not required to disclose an event on the property such as a murder, a seller still must answer any direct question from a buyer honestly (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16(a)(1)). So, if the buyer (who may very well do a Google search on your home's address) asks you whether your home was where the gang member was murdered last summer, you do need to answer honestly.

The only time you do not need to answer a buyer’s question completely and honestly is if it is a question relating to information protected under the Federal Fair Housing Act or Georgia’s fair housing laws (Georgia Official Code Annotated §44-1-16 (a)(2)).

Thanks, Fox! I knew I could count on you! So, someone could come along and buy this house, and not have a clue about what happened here. :gasp:

So this is the Dermonds' former home....

Best look we have had at it; good find, Foxfire!

And for sale.

I notice under "features" the listing includes a pool. Hmmm...I had not known that.
bbm

And if pool is pictured in photos, I missed it and any tell-tale clues about it, like cabana, poolhouse, self-cleaning, or cleaning systems.

I would like to see the pool, as well.

It seems as if someone spent a lot of time, clearing out belongings, cleaning, updating the carpet, and sprucing up this property, in order to put it on the market. It was very sad to look at these empty rooms, and think that last Christmas, a lovely couple was here, anticipating the holidays.

I hope that those responsible for this heinous crime, are getting nervous. I feel that Sheriff Sills will solve this case, as he doesn't have to look very far. :twocents:

IMHO

IIRC, way early on, ~1st or 2d wk, after discovery, a post or link
had a schematic of the D's property, showing line drawings of improvements.
Not a proper survey, not detailed architectural plans.
There were diff colors for interior space, outbldg, ext. porches, balconies, etc.
I remember discussion about where garage was, orientation - front of home,
whether one bldg was a tool/mower shed, etc.

I looked but did 't find it. If still relevant for current discussion, maybe someone else can?

I am not sure if this is the link you are referring to.
http://qpublic7.qpublic.net/cgi-bin/gap_sketch.cgi?county=putnam&p=3605&b=8560&s=400&c=putnam&t=R

Interesting!

I thought of the Dermonds recently when I heard someone say that they always used google earth to locate the homes of people they were making deliveries to. He works for a delivery service. He also said that he used to do door to door selling and he often looked whole neighborhoods up on goggle earth as he located new potential buyers. Someone knew the Dermond's property very, very well.

I'm just kind of starting to WONDER about that pool ...! Could it possibly be a mistake in the listing??

Just seems as if we would have heard something about it or caught a glimpse of it...or something! Where the heck IS it?

Surely it hasn't been added since the murders, as part of the pre-sale sprucing up...?

Thinking it might be a misprint as well. That would not be an investment to add a pool, homes with pools don't get a lot of hits, people love them or hate them, many don't want the maintenance , and you only get about half of the value back when you sell, it's like a used car. Still wondering where the garage is, must be on the back right side? Doesn't appear its on the front left or back left as there is a screened porch there. Also deep water lots would be closer to the opening of the cove but the cove itself is probably 2 feet maybe 3 but it will shallow out on the very end, boats with a 1 or 2 foot draft can get in there and push off easily if banked

Did you all notice in the Neighborhood info, when the Crime link is clicked on...

http://www.trulia.com/property/3173457838-147-Carolyn-Dr-Eatonton-GA-31024#photo-1

that it shows 147 Carolyn Drive and a little ways below that it shows that an "assault"/violent crime occurred May 7th with a little blurb about Sheriff Sills says everyone should lock (their doors, I think, it was cut off in the link) due to the murder.
But it doesn't Give the address and it looks like it occurred just southwest of where it does show their address on the Crime link map. If one looks closely, one could put two and two together,
but it was pretty clever how it was stated for selling purposes in the nearby "low" crime area.
IMOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member