GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there wasn't much blood in the garage and then read that there was a lot of blood.
Were there two different areas where the blood was found?

Whose bed was unmade? Did they sleep in the same bed?

So many questions and no answers...

Sills was struck by the pristine condition of the house. A horror scene it was not. Aside from the headless body in the garage, and save for an unmade bed and an off-kilter lampshade in the living room, it was showroom-perfect. The lampshade caught Sills’s eye only because everything else was so neat. What blood there was—a considerable amount—had pooled and dried near the body. - See more at:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.Xapi2acJ.dpuf

More details:

Sills stepped out of the Suburban and stuck a Glock 18C in his waistband. He went in the house through the kitchen door, the same door the neighbor entered. Then he headed for an open door that led to a cramped two-car garage. The garage was dimly lit, but the white walls helped Sills see. On the floor between a Lincoln Town Car and a Lexus SUV was a man’s body on its back. The man’s age was hard to guess—because the body had no head. It had been cut off. And it was gone. Sills thought, Not only are you looking for a bad guy, you’re looking for a real bad guy. - See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.Xapi2acJ.dpuf

A snippet of another link article:

Sills noted he plans to talk with a man who worked for the Dermonds this week – a man whose “name had never come up – never come up” in the investigation.

He said the man, who lives in Georgia, was mentioned by another former employee of the Dermonds in an interview. He said he has talked to him by phone and the man expressed curiosity about “why he hadn’t been talked to” during the investigation.

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_1d07824e-eea9-11e4-95a5-43e98b88ebd5.html?mode=jqm

Thanx for the info, Bootsctr...

This is from Twitter and was tweeted by Jones County Sheriff, who received it from Sheriff Sills via FB.

[video]https://youtu.be/9SCyNXftWc0[/video]

"Some have speculated that the Dermonds’ children may be involved, perhaps driven by a financial need. But each had verifiable alibis at the time when their parents were killed, and Sills said they’ve been cooperative throughout his investigation.

The circumstances of their mother’s death also point away from any financial motive, at least on their children’s behalf. The couple were each other’s executors, Sills said, and it seems the killers did not intend for Shirley Dermond’s body to be found. As long as she was missing, her assets would remain frozen. "

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/loca...eath-of-eatont/nk9Fk/#3f30b9c5.3543783.735724

LOL! It makes me feel good to know that the famous Sheriff Sills agrees with what I have said all along. I have never, not once, suspected any of the Dermond children or even extended family.

It is very obvious that whoever murdered them never expected Shirley's body to be found. No one goes to all that trouble and great risk expecting failure. Like a lot of killers though they are convinced they have done everything necessary to conceal the body yet time and time again the victim breaks free from their watery tomb. Thank God Shirley rose so she could be buried by her family.

From what I have read about the Dermond children they didn't need their parents money nor assets anyway. If they had been involved then both bodies would have been easy to find so that a death certificate could be issued very quickly. The boys were already the co-executors of the estates. That shows me Shirley and Russ trusted their sons totally.

Without Shirley's body being found it could have taken years before a probate Judge would rule she was deceased. When my elderly neighbor committed suicide because she was dying of cancer her children had to wait five years before the Judge would declare her dead. And she was witnessed by several people jumping from a bridge into a huge lake close by our neighborhood yet her body has never been found to this day.:(

Imo, there was never anything pointing to their family as having any involvement.

I do think SS will pursue justice for the Dermonds if it takes the rest of his life. He is tenacious like a bulldog and giving up isn't an option for him.

I have always felt the murderer is someone from that general area of Georgia.

IMO

I think the killer wanted Shirley blamed for the murder and that is why her body was hidden. The head of Russell maybe held a bullet that the killer didn't want traced to him. I LE is on the right track to the killer. I suspect some sort of handyman and not a family killing. I really feel this case is about to be solved.

I think the killer wanted Shirley blamed for the murder and that is why her body was hidden. The head of Russell maybe held a bullet that the killer didn't want traced to him. I LE is on the right track to the killer. I suspect some sort of handyman and not a family killing. I really feel this case is about to be solved.

SS has a reason for everything he says and he has said so little in the past year. He has a reason for letting it out that he is about to talk with a person of interest. Maybe to rattle the perps. OR it could be a red herring to make the real perps think that they are off the hook so they will trip up.

Do yall think it is likely that the killer(s) did not expect Shirley's body go be found?
And obviously knew Russ would be found.
Why did they choose not to weigh both bodies down in the lake? Why leave him to be found but not her? Was that the killers plan all along? If so, what could be the reasoning? Even if she was never found i dont think people would think she killed and beheaded her husband.

I hate to think of what their children and loved ones are going through.

I agree that Shirley being missing at the time Mr. Dermond was found allowed the killer or killers more time. Detective Mark Fuhrman said even if LE wasn't saying she was a suspect she was simply because she couldn't be accounted for when Mr. Dermond was obviously murdered. There was a case in the same area where an older lady had shot her husband, but she didn't run. Sad situation with the husband having Alzheimer's.

I agree too that there is a bullet inside Mr. Dermond's head that the killer or killers did not want to be recovered. I also wondered if he had any gold teeth. ugh! Not the reason he was beheaded though.

I think with Mrs. Dermond's cause of death being blunt force trauma and assuming that Mr. Dermond's COD being gunshot wound there are two killers at work here.

Either somebody is finally talking, or it's a red herring. I hope something gives soon. This has done on too long.

Do yall think it is likely that the killer(s) did not expect Shirley's body go be found?
Why did they choose not to weigh both bodies down in the lake? Why leave him to be found but not her? Was that the killers plan all along? If so, what could be the reasoning? Even if she was never found i dont think people would think she killed and beheaded her husband.

Yes, I think the killer(s) did not expect Shirley's body to be found. For some reason I think whomever did this may feel remorseful for murdering Shirley and that is why they didn't want her to be found - that and to throw off law enforcement. Or perhaps it all went down exactly as the killer(s) planned. I hope we get some answers soon.

Relentless: Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills chases a killer In Putnam County, everybody knows Howard Sills, and Howard Sills knows everybody—except who brutally murdered an elderly couple on Lake Oconee last May. After four decades of always getting his man, has the sheriff met his match? - May 6, 2015 by Joe Kovac Jr.
See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.GQHkfaJt.dpuf

<snipped & BBM for Focus>

In the minutes after Russ Dermond’s body was found, Sills sent a deputy to fetch security-camera surveillance footage from a guard shack at the entrance to the neighborhood. The deputy came back with bad news. About a month earlier, a storm had knocked out power, and the security camera, unknown to anyone, had stopped recording. Sills cursed his luck.

"Am I the only one that doesn't buy the story that a storm had knocked out power about a month prior to the Dermond murders, and the security camera, unknown to anyone, had stopped recording"? "How would they know, that is when the security system stopped recording"?

they would know, could know, but too many riddles, not enough or wrong info has been given all along in this case via media by whomever is feeding the media, so I'm not believing half of what I see or hear anymore. My question is: How can you know who DIDN'T do it, per one recent article, about all the tips they've gotten, and still not know WHO did it. Have they investigated all those tips or are they considered coo coo and brush them off, as that's how one article sounded?

Also, fell asleep the other night reading the latest novel of SS, didnt' finish, pictured with his spectacles and badass look with cigar, Seems he's become a movie star overnight since the D's murder. It was a GREAT ARTICLE DONT' GET ME WRONG, BUT I was kind of appalled. Next thing they'll be making a movie about SS.

I see narcissism in this whole article about HIM, yes the media wrote it but he let them and posed for that picture. Why has it taken this long to give a little bit more info to the public on the D's case, weve been fed morsels for a year. At first it was just personal to the dermonds per SS, lastly this guy is capable of anything and he's still on the loose per SS. SO is the murderer a serial killer or not? Is he from round here or aint he, is he from NJ or not? He's just talking to be talking, whatever comes out of his mouth people seem to want to worship and it's all been so contradictory or vague

How is SS any better than other Sheriffs or investigators who are NOT from a small town who likely have solved more than this man? but it hasn't been reported, all because maybe their case wasn't a beheading or their percentages were lower, only becuase they would likely have way more cases than SS has ever had.

I think he's enjoying the fame and is a little too narcissistic to ask for help from some guys who had bumped heads with him before.

I liked the article for the tidbits we were fed again, and the story, but not for his fame becuase a couple was brutally murdered and he hasn't solved it

????????????

Sills was struck by the pristine condition of the house. A horror scene it was not. Aside from the headless body in the garage, and save for an unmade bed and an off-kilter lampshade in the living room, it was showroom-perfect. The lampshade caught Sills&#8217;s eye only because everything else was so neat. What blood there was&#8212;a considerable amount&#8212;had pooled and dried near the body. - See more at:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.Xapi2acJ.dpuf

I find myself wondering whether that "off-kilter" lampshade was near anything significant -- such as, maybe, a phone? The drawer where a weapon was kept? Something one of the Dermonds could have tried to reach in a moment of confusion and/or crisis?

I agree, K.jill, that the intent wasn't to make folks think Shirley had killed Russell -- it just doesn't fly.

I think MAYBE Shirley was taken "first and foremost" -- maybe with a plan for ransom or such, though I doubt it -- or she was taken because she witnessed what happened, at least in part -- whether I think she saw Russ killed and/or beheaded, I'm not sure ...but whatever she witnessed or knew, it was too much to let her live, in the mind of the killer/s, IMO . I think she may have been killed in a different location, although, to telll the truth, I am not entirely sure where I believe Russell was killed.

I really don't believe the killer/s were all that concerned that Shirley's body NEVER be found...although I imagine that would have been fine for them/him/her. I think the main concern was that it not be found right away...to give the killer/s time and distance, to direct some investigative energy toward finding Shirley, and to make sure that any forensic evidence was degraded.

fridays paper was picked up? Or no? I know saturdays wasn't

He and Shirley had RSVP&#8217;d that they&#8217;d be at a neighbor&#8217;s Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. They never showed. Shirley, who played bridge and was a crossword whiz, had worked a puzzle in that Friday&#8217;s USA Today. It was still on the kitchen table. The couple&#8217;s Saturday mail was in the mailbox out front. -

See more at: http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...d-sills-chases-a-killer/#sthash.doPGi0rI.dpuf

Hope that helps! Sometimes I have a hard time believing some of the things I read... especially regarding murder cases.

The head of Russell maybe held a bullet that the killer didn't want traced to him.

If the head was severed because of a bullet then IMO that rules out premeditation, it also rules out any sort of experienced killer/bad guy.

There are many many easy ways to prevent a ballistic match up (especially in Georgia), all of which would be preferable to severing and then disposing of a human head.

they would know, could know, but too many riddles, not enough or wrong info has been given all along in this case via media by whomever is feeding the media, so I'm not believing half of what I see or hear anymore. My question is: How can you know who DIDN'T do it, per one recent article, about all the tips they've gotten, and still not know WHO did it. Have they investigated all those tips or are they considered coo coo and brush them off, as that's how one article sounded?

Also, fell asleep the other night reading the latest novel of SS, didnt' finish, pictured with his spectacles and badass look with cigar, Seems he's become a movie star overnight since the D's murder. It was a GREAT ARTICLE DONT' GET ME WRONG, BUT I was kind of appalled. Next thing they'll be making a movie about SS.

I see narcissism in this whole article about HIM, yes the media wrote it but he let them and posed for that picture. Why has it taken this long to give a little bit more info to the public on the D's case, weve been fed morsels for a year. At first it was just personal to the dermonds per SS, lastly this guy is capable of anything and he's still on the loose per SS. SO is the murderer a serial killer or not? Is he from round here or aint he, is he from NJ or not? He's just talking to be talking, whatever comes out of his mouth people seem to want to worship and it's all been so contradictory or vague

How is SS any better than other Sheriffs or investigators who are NOT from a small town who likely have solved more than this man? but it hasn't been reported, all because maybe their case wasn't a beheading or their percentages were lower, only becuase they would likely have way more cases than SS has ever had.

I think he's enjoying the fame and is a little too narcissistic to ask for help from some guys who had bumped heads with him before.

I liked the article for the tidbits we were fed again, and the story, but not for his fame becuase a couple was brutally murdered and he hasn't solved it

????????????

Agree. He may be a top notch sheriff, but he has an unsolved horror hanging over his head so that "bad-*advertiser censored*" picture doesn't mean much. Chill with the PR and personal promotion, give the public some useful information, ask for help from the GBI and solve this case.

I found the article quite interesting and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I am from Georgia and Sheriff Sills has become a legend in his own time. I don't find anything wrong with it or talking about his background history.

The main thing everyone knows who is familiar with Sheriff Sills is he never gives up and he will continue to hunt this brutal murderer down until he takes his last breath.

All police agencies in every jurisdiction has unsolved cases. It doesn't mean they aren't doing their job or are inept. He is far from inept and I cant think of a better law enforcement officer on the Dermond case than SS.

We need more like him all across the country. He never stops pursuing justice for victims.

He's tough and everyone that knows him knows that. He is what you see and I find that refreshing. You will get no false pretenses from SS. He is a straight shooter.

He is highly respected even by other law enforcement officers in other jurisdictions. They know if anyone can solve this case it will be SS.

IMO

All police agencies in every jurisdiction has unsolved cases. It doesn't mean they aren't doing their job or are inept. He is far from inept and I cant think of a better law enforcement officer on the Dermond case than SS.

I agree! Some murders will never be solved and it is not because the investigators are bad at their job.

In a way it is like saying a top knotch doctor can't be all that great because one of his patients died. Some things are beyond their control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95