GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

He was forced into the grave, while men threw dirt on him as if they would bury him alive. They then removed him from the hole, took him the home, allowed him to shower, and then rubbed salt into his wounds, the documents said.

They also tied him down and sprayed mace in his face, which caused his nose to bleed.

The next day the torture continued when they twisted the boy's nipples with pliers in front of a dozen other men.

This sounds more like a sexually motivated assault than a "scared straight" lesson. Sick sick sick!

I can...sort of playing devil's advocate. I've noted that he seems to have a tendency to 'say too much', over-explain, embellish and maybe he has a short fuse when his judgment or veracity is questioned. This would be a trait of his she would be familiar with. We know from the cops he said stuff like he would lose his job, why was he being punished and he'd be a felon so in that context it would make sense to me that she'd be anxious he said too much. IE not so much as a consciousness of guilt but maybe an awareness that his tendency to run his mouth had gotten him in trouble before.

That is a good thought too.

It seems unfair that the entire context of these are not presented at the hearing. I wonder if the defense had them prior.

Many of the newer cars have the camera for backing up. I use the camera and the two side mirrors plus looking side to side as far as I can see to make sure no one is behind me but it is hard to see anything by putting my arm across the back of the seat because of the headrests. Regardless, if he had the camera in the car he would have still been able to see the seat as he turned his head to check. I think that is an automatic thing you do when backing up, even with the camera. If you have had a child for 22 months it is hard to believe you would forget them when your normal routine is to drop him off at daycare. jmo

I can...sort of playing devil's advocate. I've noted that he seems to have a tendency to 'say too much', over-explain, embellish and maybe he has a short fuse when his judgment or veracity is questioned. This would be a trait of his she would be familiar with. We know from the cops he said stuff like he would lose his job, why was he being punished and he'd be a felon so in that context it would make sense to me that she'd be anxious he said too much. IE not so much as a consciousness of guilt but maybe an awareness that his tendency to run his mouth had gotten him in trouble before.

That's definitely a thought I had. It's not a clear indicator that she was in on it, though it did give me pause at first.

It must have changed or they just teach it different but I took driver's Ed four years ago (I was 21) and was taught you are to put your hand on the passenger's seat and turn and look behind you while backing out. They said don't just use your mirror, it's too dangerous. My husband also told me this while teaching me and he learned to drive a long time ago.

If this is what RH was taught, and if he backed up with his hand on the front passenger seat and also looked behind him while backing into the parking slot, then it's worse for him because there's no way he wouldn't have seen Cooper in the car seat.

I am just catching up here and I don't think this will be a popular opinion but I am really concerned about the prosecution having enough evidence at trial. If LEO are looking for light bulbs at the home and reenacting the scene of the crime, that doesn't seem very air-tight to me... And have we been able to determine a solid motive or is it speculation at this point?

I know where I stand and I know the popular opinion here, but a jury will not decide this case based on "just knowing" he is guilty.

I disagree. I think they already have enough on him but remember the investigation is still ongoing and I anticipate a lot more info put together before they are ready to take it to the grand jury. What I am concerned about is HER role in this and whether or not she will have to answer for her actions or lack of it, I should say.

If this is what RH was taught, and if he backed up with his hand on the front passenger seat and also looked behind him while backing into the parking slot, then it's worse for him because there's no way he wouldn't have seen Cooper in the car seat.

Exactly.

I am just catching up here and I don't think this will be a popular opinion but I am really concerned about the prosecution having enough evidence at trial. If LEO are looking for light bulbs at the home and reenacting the scene of the crime, that doesn't seem very air-tight to me... And have we been able to determine a solid motive or is it speculation at this point?

I know where I stand and I know the popular opinion here, but a jury will not decide this case based on "just knowing" he is guilty.

I think LE is just being meticulous with their investigation. Other cases have been lost because LE failed to do a thorough job and these detectives are on the ball enough to know that. Plus this has become a high-profile case and everyone involved with it is aware that they'll be under the microscope.

Thank goodness!

Many of the newer cars have the camera for backing up. I use the camera and the two side mirrors plus looking side to side as far as I can see to make sure no one is behind me but it is hard to see anything by putting my arm across the back of the seat because of the headrests. Regardless, if he had the camera in the car he would have still been able to see the seat as he turned his head to check. I think that is an automatic thing you do when backing up, even with the camera. If you have had a child for 22 months it is hard to believe you would forget them when your normal routine is to drop him off at daycare. jmo

Pretty sure Stoddard said he didn't have a back-up camera. Just fyi. Agree with the rest of your post.

Good thinking. Do you have any thoughts on why she could have asked him "did you say too much". I can't think of any context for that.

Well, I have to really work at this one, but I have a habit of being kind of snarky to my husband sometimes and I can imagine her thinking he was whining and making this all about *him* when she knew it should be about their son. Perhaps he is commonly overly dramatic or verbose and she was trying to say so in a snarky sort of way. If she really didn't think he did it on purpose, perhaps she was basically telling him to STFU - thinking that it would be resolved soon for RH.

(Taking cover for the inevitable bombing run coming my way... :) )

It must have changed or they just teach it different but I took driver's Ed four years ago (I was 21) and was taught you are to put your hand on the passenger's seat and turn and look behind you while backing out. They said don't just use your mirror, it's too dangerous. My husband also told me this while teaching me and he learned to drive a long time ago.
I thought that's what the back up camera with the little lines is for!
Not that I have one.
I did before my husband sold my SUV. I still had to turn around. It was all backwards to me.
I was taught to turn around in driver's ed as well.
No way can I only use mirrors.
How can you parallel park only using mirrors?

Wait cars do that on their own now...

I want a new car!!!![emoji137]

Right. This is what I was trying to say above. He'd *just* been passed over for a promotion they clearly expected he would get (don't have link but his landlord said they were looking for a home based on that promotion) and LH probably figured it was RH's big mouth getting him in trouble - again. Something like that.

IMHO - he doesn't have an excuse for not hearing him either - is he going to try to say that he could not hear a child (this is assuming Cooper was talking, singing, saying,"red car, red truck") - with his left ear? I do not buy that - if the child made a noise he was not whispering! If he was that handicapped - he should never have been left alone with his child. What if there were an emergency at home (fall, spill, wild animal breaks into apartment - jk )- and Cooper happened to be on RH's right side??? I'm not buying that and I expect the prosecutor will make short work if that is his big excuse! -imho

There are plenty of hearing impaired parents who manage to safeguard their children. There are many members of the 'deaf culture' (and who don't consider themselves handicapped) who are parents and they don't "forget" their children are in the car.

RH is using his alleged hearing loss in his right ear as a red herring excuse.

I agree with you that the prosecutor will not let that pathetic excuse fly, even if it's confirmed that RH truly does have a hearing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolat View Post

Have you guys already discussed the deaf ear thing?

Because there is no way post-event to prove that, right? If there are no previous records stating as such, they can't re-test him now because he could just fake it, right? Or can they still determine deafness without requiring his input? Just wondering because if I were being investigated for murdering my child, the FIRST thing I would say in my own defense is "I AM DEAF! I COULDN'T HEAR HIM". I mean, that's a no-brainer.

I guess they can confirm through family, friends or coworkers. (?)

Ross didn't seem to have had a hearing problem at his Probable Cause Hearing. It appears he didn't require a hearing aid for driving, to hear fire trucks, ambulance's, horns, when his windows were up, radio on, ac or heat going.I think he is dumber than he is deaf.

Not that I have one.
I did before my husband sold my SUV. I still had to turn around. It was all backwards to me.

I was taught to always look, mirrors have blind spots.

That is a good thought too.

It seems unfair that the entire context of these are not presented at the hearing. I wonder if the defense had them prior.

The hearing wasn't a trial, the prosecution only had to provide enough for probable cause. At trial the defense would be lax, I agree, if they didn't bring out during in depth questioning an 'innocent' context surrounding that phrase - IF there were an 'innocent' context that is.

Not that I have one.

Yeah, even if I had a camera I don't think I could still not turn around to look, I'd feel like I was not seeing everything. I think they're pretty useful for seeing lower though, I.e. Looking for kids.

I just don't know how he could not know his child was there. Usually, when you hear about these stories and the parent genuinely forgot them, it's because it was a break in their normal routine. Another parent usually took the child and they drove uninterrupted to work every morning. Somewhere on the drive they just forget and go their usual way. Not only did JH share daycare dropping duties, he had taken him to breakfast that morning, which was right around the corner from the daycare. It makes no sense. Cooper should still have been on his mind at that time, having just eaten with him.

As for the mom, reserving judgment on that one. There's a red flag going up about her but the jury is still out. There may be more to come. So far, dad is done, IMO.

PUT HIM IN THE CAR AND TELL HIM TO BACK UP!

There is a DMV next to the jail, they have a testing area!
moo

Well, I have to really work at this one, but I have a habit of being kind of snarky to my husband sometimes and I can imagine her thinking he was whining and making this all about *him* when she knew it should be about their son. Perhaps he is commonly overly dramatic or verbose and she was trying to say so in a snarky sort of way. If she really didn't think he did it on purpose, perhaps she was basically telling him to STFU - thinking that it would be resolved soon for RH.

(Taking cover for the inevitable bombing run coming my way... :) )

Ummmm.......no. LOL If anything, I would have encouraged him to make sure he told them "EVERYTHING". Turns out he left a few things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8